Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Should ConCen pay $220 unlimited or $150 1TB?
05-23-2012, 07:18 AM,
How about including the other options epinnoia suggested to see what the members really want?
Remember you are unique
...just like everyone else.
05-23-2012, 12:07 PM,
RE: Should ConCen pay $220 unlimited or $150 1TB?
(05-23-2012, 07:18 AM)Swordfish Wrote: How about including the other options epinnoia suggested to see what the members really want?

Which option would that be - unban him or he'll try to destroy the site? Call it a wild guess, but I'm thinking the members don't consider that an option.

The fact that you seem to think a creep like Epinnoia has any credibility at all says a lot about you, Swordfish.

Epinnoia proposed no relevant options. Since you obviously dispute that, now's your chance to prove me wrong by listing his relevant options yourself.

[Image: randquote.png]
05-23-2012, 06:37 PM,
Quote:Which option would that be - unban him or he'll try to destroy the site? Call it a wild guess, but I'm thinking the members don't consider that an option.

The fact that you seem to think a creep like Epinnoia has any credibility at all says a lot about you, Swordfish.

Epinnoia proposed no relevant options. Since you obviously dispute that, now's your chance to prove me wrong by listing his relevant options yourself.

Well my recollection was that he suggested not super seeding at all (Im not technical but was something along those lines), also another option was to superseed for 5 mins then not for a similar interval to allow for data to be shared between the swarm. Those seem to me to be workable and practical options which dont deteriorate the tracker to any relevant degree and dont cost more than at present.

...Im assuming here that by relevant options that you mean ones open to us and not just the ones you have a personal preference for? Fasttadpole offered another option so its clearly not just an either/or choice.

btw I dont share your view that he is a creep, as I dont know anything about him.
I also do not in any way shape or form agree with your definitions of creeps assholes or retards etc. The criteria you use to define these is in your head alone and not an objective measure of worthiness. Please do not try to pretend that members all support you on this because quite clearly they dont. Its just that most darent speak up against you because they fear being banned. You are like the school bully of concen!

You and Epinnoia have both been waving your dicks at each other in public to decide who has the biggest one and because you used your ban power and resorted to "asshole" politics he has retaliated in like manner by "threatening" to bring the system down.

I say threatening because he quite clearly IS NOT going to do it but the threat has got everyones pants in a twist. Now it is being escalated by asking members to pitch into your personal fight by harassing him using his personal email address. Well out of order. And a bad precedent to set. What if he (or others) decided to target your personal space for retaliation? It takes 2 minutes to find your name address etc thanks to Mr Google.

In my view he is making the point to YOU and YOU ALONE that you do not have all the power in your hands.
Remember you are unique
...just like everyone else.
05-23-2012, 06:51 PM,
That last email he sent you did make some sense, though. You did not put up an option of seeding until you reach the 1tb max, it seems like either seeding and $220 or no seeding at $150. Wouldn't it be possible to seed until you reach the 1tb limit, maybe cut seeding?
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - Henry L. Mencken

I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie. I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant. - Henry L. Mencken
05-23-2012, 08:00 PM,
(05-23-2012, 06:37 PM)Swordfish Wrote: Well my recollection was that he suggested not super seeding at all (Im not technical but was something along those lines), also another option was to superseed for 5 mins then not for a similar interval to allow for data to be shared between the swarm. Those seem to me to be workable and practical options which dont deteriorate the tracker to any relevant degree and dont cost more than at present.

I'm not going to waste any more time on this site than I already do. I don't get paid to do this.

Seedbanking torrents was never done, which would be the only scenario where intermittent seeding makes sense, as I've said many many times already in this and this thread.

Micromanaging torrents was never done, and because we're now metered, will not be done unless we're unmetered.

(05-23-2012, 06:37 PM)Swordfish Wrote: ...Im assuming here that by relevant options that you mean ones open to us and not just the ones you have a personal preference for?

Since I run the server, "my personal preference" and what gets done are the same thing.

(05-23-2012, 06:37 PM)Swordfish Wrote: Fasttadpole offered another option so its clearly not just an either/or choice.

The poll question is about whether we go for unmetered or not. There are no other options.

Fasttadpole clearly offered no other solution than the status quo as far as this poll is concerned.

(05-23-2012, 06:37 PM)Swordfish Wrote: btw I dont share your view that he is a creep, as I dont know anything about him.

He's libelously accusing me of defrauding ConCen with no evidence. That is the action of a creep. Yet you condone this.

He's threatening to take down the site unless he gets unbanned. You condone this. Therefore IMO you're a creep as well.

(05-23-2012, 06:37 PM)Swordfish Wrote: Please do not try to pretend that members all support you on this because quite clearly they dont.

Please do not try to pretend that more than %.005 of the members support Epinnoia and what he's doing. The ones who do don't deserve this site. I have no use for them, nor does the 99.995% who couldn't really give a shit what you or I think, as long as the site is running.

(05-23-2012, 06:37 PM)Swordfish Wrote: Its just that most darent speak up against you because they fear being banned.

Now you're talking out your ass. You're making shit up in your head.

(05-23-2012, 06:37 PM)Swordfish Wrote: What if he (or others) decided to target your personal space for retaliation? It takes 2 minutes to find your name address etc thanks to Mr Google.

LOL

It takes a hell of a lot less than that - my home address has been a link on the home page for years. The concen.org domain name has all my personal details laid right out for all to see, as it always has.
05-23-2012, 08:35 PM,
(05-23-2012, 06:51 PM)Anarchist Wrote: You did not put up an option of seeding until you reach the 1tb max,

That is because the options are whether or not to stick with metered or go for unmetered. What is done with the metered data is irrelevant to the poll.

(05-23-2012, 06:51 PM)Anarchist Wrote: it seems like either seeding and $220 or no seeding at $150. Wouldn't it be possible to seed until you reach the 1tb limit, maybe cut seeding?

Of course, but who would do that? Why me of course. I don't get paid to do this. I'm not a fucking slave to ConCen. I will not micromanage torrents. I will not guarantee that any seeding will be done at all.

As for the people out there who buy into Epinnoia's lie that I want to have an unmetered plan because I don't care about wasting people's money, I'm going to set the record straight (I wasn't going to do this because I didn't want to influence the poll): I don't want the unmetered plan because it means way more work for me, and the last few days of bullshit has reminded me yet again that this work not only goes completely unrewarded, but also gets marginalized, criticized and still leaves me vulnerable to serial assholes and their supporters. They make all the noise while the other 99.9% get on with what this site is about - stealing bandwidth from the 'suckers' who care about this place enough to have great ratios and/or maybe donate once in a while.

Seriously people, all it takes is one asshole to totally destroy people's desire to donate their time.
05-24-2012, 12:55 AM,
[split] $220 a month unlimited or $150 for 1TB a month?
Did you delete some comments in this thread or what? Weird.

[Image: 308jui1.jpg]

[Image: 2moce1f.jpg]
05-24-2012, 01:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2012, 02:03 AM by Frank2.)
is it not possible to configure the server, in terms of seeding, like a run of the mill electric timer switch?

ie. off on off on off on etc...

i think many of us non techies are not really seeing why the suggestions are invalid or an extra headache for you Dunno

i know you feel besieged right now. and i don't want to add fuel to that.

go and smoke some nDmt or something. we need this site and it's no good that you feel like a victim so much.

lose the need for respect for what you are doing, liberate yourself.
.do it anyway ...or not. concen provides info...you facilitate it. the fact you do it should alone be enough for you. you do it! stop worrying about whether people respect what you do! if you believe your own words, then the focus on being needing to be respected as some poor sod slaving away for all and sundry is superfluous!?

the paradox is you get more respect when you don't demand it. shrugs.

decide and stick with it. if you are doing it primarily to garner respect then you already fell at the first hurdle. concen is what it is. personally speaking, i respect that you keep it going...but you shouldn't need the resepct. it's irrelevant, actually.

you can have respect in yourself for maintaining this site and that should be adequate.

“The truth, of course, is that a billion falsehoods told a billion times by a billion people are still false.” Travis Walton
05-24-2012, 02:14 AM,
(05-24-2012, 01:55 AM)Frank2 Wrote: is it not possible to configure the server, in terms of seeding, like a run of the mill electric timer switch?

Yes OF COURSE IT'S POSSIBLE but for at least the SIXTH TIME it is not what ConCen is about. This is a tracker, NOT A SEED BOX. The only reason why torrents have been launched here is because it is easier and faster to download data directly to the server than to download to my home machine.

Seeds that have been launched from the server have been ONLY FOR INITIAL SEEDING which should be for NO MORE THAN AN HOUR. Therefore INTERMITTENT SEEDING IS UNNECESSARY AND COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

This is THE LAST TIME I WILL SPEAK ABOUT THIS. If you're still confused, beat yourself with a clue stick while chanting the above words until you understand.
05-24-2012, 02:18 AM,
(05-24-2012, 12:55 AM)zapoper7 Wrote: Did you delete some comments in this thread or what? Weird.

Of course not. I only delete spam.

Some of the comments have been split to another thread in the Fists of Fury forum.

05-24-2012, 02:45 AM,
(05-24-2012, 02:14 AM)yeti Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 01:55 AM)Frank2 Wrote: is it not possible to configure the server, in terms of seeding, like a run of the mill electric timer switch?

Yes OF COURSE IT'S POSSIBLE but for at least the SIXTH TIME it is not what ConCen is about. This is a tracker, NOT A SEED BOX. The only reason why torrents have been launched here is because it is easier and faster to download data directly to the server than to download to my home machine.

Seeds that have been launched from the server have been ONLY FOR INITIAL SEEDING which should be for NO MORE THAN AN HOUR. Therefore INTERMITTENT SEEDING IS UNNECESSARY AND COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

This is THE LAST TIME I WILL SPEAK ABOUT THIS. If you're still confused, beat yourself with a clue stick while chanting the above words until you understand.

Endlich, du hast es klar gemacht! Vielen Dank!

“The truth, of course, is that a billion falsehoods told a billion times by a billion people are still false.” Travis Walton
05-24-2012, 06:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2012, 06:46 AM by Whitetrash.)

Holly shit, yeti is a busy critter!

http://whois.domaintools.com/concen.org

http://reversewhois.domaintools.com/tom-potts
05-24-2012, 06:43 AM,
Yeti is a web developer (as part of his repertoire) by trade, as am I. People in our profession tend to have a few (more or less) domains associated with ourselves.

I tend to list myself as the tech admin only but if the client is beyond inept on the cyber front I assume the domain registrar admin role on the domain level myself when required.

@Mr. Trash
I assume you are presenting the facts, not implying anything despite your elaboration on the fontage medium. So, in that case, no harm, no foul.
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
05-25-2012, 09:17 PM,
RE: $220 a month unlimited or $150 for 1TB a month?
Trackers Are a Collaborative Effort:
P2P sites are and always will be collaborative efforts by and between most everyone involved (the tracker and its Admins, unloaders, seeders, leechers and content creators/editors/re-packagers). A lot of value is created behind the veil of what are apparently simple web-pages and forums. Most of this value, however great in time/sweat equity, is never expressed in monetary terms. Fact is, most of the active members on P2P sites put every bit as much time and effort into making these sites successful as the tracker's Owners/Operators/Admins. Some, who are very passionate about the tracker's cause, even much more.
Trackers Need Core Funding:
Obviously, a tracker's core expenses must be met in monetary terms in order for a P2P site to continue. Donations for this purpose are regarded by most to be a minimalist, just-enough to meet the core needs, proposition. So, having the tracker's Admins reaching out and assuming extraneous duties and expenses beyond the core, essential needs of tracking the files uploaded by its users is, however well meaning, poor stewardship of the moneys donated specifically for maintaining the tracker.
Raise Funds Separately For Extras:
If Admins want to add what they perceive to be the added value of hosting files in addition to tracking, they should upload these files from their own home ISP connections or raise donations separately for that purpose instead of re-purposing donations meant for tracking only (as is typically done when a new server is needed or other such like needs).
Benefits OK--Entitlement Not:
Some Amins/Site Owners have their tracker's servers in their homes/offices and they are effectively monetarily compensated for their efforts by having personal use of their donated ISP expenses and donated server hardware. Some, over time, gain an attitude of entitlement in this regard, feeling it's the least we could all do considering their efforts, all the while forgetting all the thankless others who collaboratively contribute to the cause in non monetary ways. I have no problem personally with tracker owners getting some value from dual use of these donated resources. Provided, of course, they remember it's a benefit and not an entitlement.
Maximizing Donations:
Statistically, consistent money donations are nearly always collected from a very small percentage of users/members. Therefore, the best way to bring more money into the kitty is to encourage greater participation by either
1) adding new users/members, or
2) causing current users/members to be more engaged.
3) ensure that there are payment options that are acceptable to all (obvious snail-mail option).
4) transparency regarding both donation income and spending (open accountability).
Pushing People Away With Core Policy Changes:
Key policy changes in recent months/years have undermined both of these options.
Unlike the old tracker under CTRL's ownership, this site's content cannot even be viewed without being a logged-in member. Noone can just happen by and maybe get interested. The old tracker only required a login to download the .torrent files or post comments. Anyone could see what was available on the tracker and read all user comments. Plus, the number of comments were then always available simply by glancing at the torrent's listing. Walling off and hiding member comments in out-of-the-way forums on P2P sites in this fashion does neither encourage new users to join, nor does it encourage greater participation among current members.
Pushing People Away With Personal Drama:
However childish, ConCen has never lacked in self righteous personal drama. Even when CTRL (Mike) was running things he would routinely get to feeling unappreciated, then would get resentful over it and have a tantrum (drunken), making innocent members uncomfortable for days on end and left wondering if the site would be there tomorrow I think his greatest legacy left to ConCen was this taint of personal drama's which continued/s long after he left. I haven't noticed any drama lately because I've greatly reduced my own participation.
Conclusion:
ConCen, today isn't a patch on the Conspiracy Central that once was, for what I believe are all the core reasons I've outlined above. All these personal drama's and constant, petty policy changes that discourage people aren't conducive to a passionate, engaged and vibrant collaborative P2P community.
What I find really odd is that a P2P site such as this, that primarily caters to lovers of truth and freedom, under its new ownership, has devolved into a locked-down, totalitarian controlled fiefdom who's ultimate purpose now seems to be lost to some bad choices. However well meaning, how could anyone think they could corral such freedom minded individuals in such a way without gradually losing their participation.
Poll:
Stick with the budget plan....
05-25-2012, 10:44 PM,
RE: $220 a month unlimited or $150 for 1TB a month?
(05-25-2012, 09:17 PM)ioslo Wrote: Unlike the old tracker under CTRL's ownership, this site's content cannot even be viewed without being a logged-in member.

It was Mike's idea to use the current tracker software, and as a mod team we voted to privatize torrent viewing but keep registration permanently open and free.

At the time we agreed that we could stay under the radar more easily. To suggest that Mike was for an open tracker and I am not is totally untrue. In fact I added a public tracker recently despite opposition from many of the members.

(05-25-2012, 09:17 PM)ioslo Wrote: Walling off and hiding member comments in out-of-the-way forums on P2P sites in this fashion does neither encourage new users to join, nor does it encourage greater participation among current members.

If I didn't like comments, I would have simply turned them off as Mike and Ognir did numerous times.

Perhaps you're not aware that long before the comments were moved to the forum, the percentage of daily users who had even made 1 comment was well below 1%. That statistic is still true today.

(05-25-2012, 09:17 PM)ioslo Wrote: What I find really odd is that a P2P site such as this, that primarily caters to lovers of truth and freedom, under its new ownership, has devolved into a locked-down, totalitarian controlled fiefdom who's ultimate purpose now seems to be lost to some bad choices.

Total hyperbole which ignores the facts. Under my stewardship this site has had far more freedom of information exchange than ever before. Mike had an extremely narrow view of what could be uploaded. I have the opposite view, as do the other mods.

Furthermore its downtimes have been minimal to non-existent.

On the forum side every word that every member has ever written (except for spam) is freely available for non-members to view. This includes people who have been banned. Banned members can sign up again under another name immediately anyway, which was not the case prior to my stewardship. Previous moderators had a penchant for deleting entire accounts and all their posts, as well as adding IP blocks which are worse than useless.

(05-25-2012, 09:17 PM)ioslo Wrote: However well meaning, how could anyone think they could corral such freedom minded individuals in such a way without gradually losing their participation.

I don't know how. Do you think that is my intention?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Marines' 'Poster Boy' for Suicide Prevention Kills Self JFK 6 2,288 03-10-2013, 01:51 AM
Last Post: macfadden
  [split] Slavery macfadden 39 5,402 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM
  [split] "Mob rule" is the answer macfadden 57 7,856 01-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Exclamation [split] Server Bandwidth Overage Charges Epinnoia 141 33,717 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Last Post: poopoopoogoo
  [split] Jimmy Savile BBC Paedophile Sex Ring - IMG INT Negentropic 17 6,882 10-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Last Post: geogaddi00
  [split] Your signature means your Luciferian! overcomer 12 3,794 11-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Antisthenes
  concen is pretty dead sekular 6 1,833 06-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Last Post: Mike_Smith
  [Off topic split] Four Corners - The Forgotten Man Castiel 5 2,094 04-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Dunamis
  [Flamer split] Linking climate change to the Japan quake/tsunami Melchor 39 12,131 04-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Last Post: ^v^hooters ex
  [split] DNA Evolutions Death Knell Mami 0 1,026 02-12-2011, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Mami