Fruit as source of Omega 3
03-25-2008, 04:33 AM,
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=1783602
03-25-2008, 11:45 PM,
Here is an excellent video on omega-3:

http://www.archive.org/details/OrganicAthl...09_30_Rick_Dina
Funny how people insist that death, murder, torture has to be a part of ones dietary needs.....fucking nutters everywhere!!

--- Purple Bex.
03-26-2008, 12:35 AM,
Yeah thanks. This computer isn't video friendly. Anyway -- here's some more info:

http://www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php?article=2377
03-26-2008, 01:02 AM,
The best source for Omega-3 is fish. This is what my heart surgeon friend told me. He recommends people to eat fish atleast once a week.
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
03-26-2008, 01:09 AM,
What the doc ommited to include in his PubMed response (from your first link) is that pure DHA is readilly available from algae. Spirulina, and other algae, are good sources of DHA, whereas EPA in fish must be converted into DHA. Heat destroys DHA and EPA, and not many eat raw fish (certainly, it would be unwise to eat fish either raw or cooked, not least because of the high toxin concentrations found in fish).

It is clear, (through the video I posted above) that ALA is readily converted into EPA and DHA in humans, provided the correct LA to ALA ratio is maintained (omega-6 to omega-3 ratio of between 1:1 and 4:1). The wife of the expert speaking in the video was tested for DHA and found to have adequate levels. She derived her omega-3 from leafy vegetables alone!

So ground flax seed, or flax oil, will provide all of a persons ALA, EPA, and DHA, provided they do not over consume omega-6. And for those who want to miss out the middle man, I recommend going straight to the top and adding spirulina to your diet, for pure DHA.
Funny how people insist that death, murder, torture has to be a part of ones dietary needs.....fucking nutters everywhere!!

--- Purple Bex.
03-26-2008, 01:11 AM,
Quote:The best source for Omega-3 is fish. This is what my heart surgeon friend told me. He recommends people to eat fish atleast once a week.

Well he would say that; he is an allopath. Check out the video I posted, the info it contains is excellent.

--- Purple Bex.
03-26-2008, 02:33 AM,
Ratiocinator -- EXCELLENT response. That's exactly the type of info I was looking for but had yet to find. I take spirulina already and love it and had previously stocked up on flax seeds. So I'll just continue that. I think the kicker is avoiding Omega 6 since it's everywhere. I started eating fish instead of meat -- so I think that should do that trick. I already stopped any french fries since that's transfat (which is also Omega 6.

It's really wild because essentially the secret is not vegetarianism or even veganism but eating meat which is not fed by plow-based farming.

So this Omega 3 diet is really RADICAL.
03-26-2008, 06:59 PM,
OK watched the vid. Pretty intense! thanks.
03-27-2008, 01:05 AM,
NP.

Concerning your comment on meat: ALL meat is toxic to humans; we simply do not have the digestive system to cope with it. And I suggest you read The China Study, by Prof. T. Colin Campbell. In this book he shows very strong relationships between animal protein consumption and serious disease, notably cancer.

The hormones, grain feeding, medication, and so on, that are used in contemporary animal agriculture simply make an already toxic product even more toxic.

--- Purple Bex.
03-30-2008, 07:26 PM,
I've got an eye out for that book -- thanks. It's currently checked out from my library but should be back soon.

In the mean time -- more info on how even dairy is from grain-fed cows.

http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm
04-05-2008, 03:43 AM,
OK I read "Forty Centuries of Farming" today -- who recommended that book on this website? It was AWESOME -- sustainability in detail! Amazing! thanks.
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM,
Hemp seed oil hemp seed oil hemp seed oil.

MMM
Give me the judgment of balanced minds in preference to laws every time. Codes and manuals create patterned behavior. All patterned behavior tends to go unquestioned, gathering destructive momentum.
- Darwi Odrade
06-23-2008, 11:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2008, 11:39 PM by drew hempel.)
http://www.innvista.com/HEALTH/nutrition/f...hoils/intro.htm

http://www.vegetarian-dha-epa.co.uk/

http://www.vegetarian-dha-epa.co.uk/
06-23-2008, 11:50 PM,
OK I read this study -- because I'm at the university and the computer had database access -- THERE IS NO DHA IN SPIRULINA. It's an urban myth. "NOT DETECTED" -- was the result for DHA. Although there are 10 fatty acids in spirulina and others in trace amounts.

Fatty Acid Composition of Chlorella and Spirulina Microalgae Species

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author(s): Semih Ötleş 1 | Ruhşen Pire 2
Prev | Table of contents | Next

View PDF article (60 K)
Email this link
What is RSS?
Trouble viewing articles as PDF?

Journal of AOAC INTERNATIONAL

Print ISSN: 1060-3271
Volume: 84 | Issue: 6
Cover date: November 2001
Page(s): 1708-1714

Abstract

Two New Age foods which contain high concentrations of whole food nutrients are the single-celled microalgae Chlorella and Spirulina. They are accepted as functional foods, which are defined as products derived from natural sources, whose consumption is likely to benefit human health and enhance performance. These foods are used as a supplement/ingredient or as a complete food to enhance the performance and state of the human body, or improve a specific bodily function. Functional foods are used mainly as products to nourish the human body after physical exertion or as a preventive measure against ailments. We determined the fatty acid compositions, particularly polyunsaturated fatty acid compositions, of Chlorella and Spirulina by capillary column-gas chromatography. The data obtained show that Spirulina contains unusually high levels of gamma-linolenic acid, an essential polyunsaturated fatty acid.

Author(s): Semih Ötleş 1 | Ruhşen Pire 2

Author(s) affiliations

1. Ege University, Department of Food Engineering, 35100 Izmir, Turkey.
E-mail: otles@bornova.ege.edu.tr.
2. Ege University, Department of Food Engineering, 35100 Izmir, Turkey.
06-24-2008, 12:01 AM,
According to this study Omega 3 WAS NOT REDUCED by cooking the fish -- another Urban Myth destroyed.

Copyright © 2006 Elsevier Ltd All rights reserved.
Effect of boiling and frying on the content of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids in muscle tissue of four fish species

Michail I. Gladysheva, , , Nadezhda N. Sushchika, Galina A. Gubanenkob, Sevilia M. Demirchievab and Galina S. Kalachovaa

aInstitute of Biophysics of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Akademgorodok, Krasnoyarsk 660036, Russia

bKrasnoyarsk State Trade-Economical Institute, Lidiya Prushinskaya Street, 2, Krasnoyarsk 660075, Russia

Received 25 January 2006; revised 16 March 2006; accepted 21 April 2006. Available online 4 May 2006.

Abstract
Frozen samples of common fish species, sea trout (Salmo trutta), from Norway and Siberia, herring (Clupea harengus pallasi), rock sole (Lepidopsetta bilineata) and cod (Gadus morhua maris-albi), collected from a wholesale market in Krasnoyarsk city (Siberia, Russia) were analyzed. Special attention was paid to long-chain essential polyunsaturated fatty acids: eicosapentaenoic, 20:5ω3 (EPA) and docosahexaenoic, 22:6ω3 (DHA). Heat-treatment (cooking and frying) did not in general significantly decrease the contents of EPA and DHA compared to raw fish species, except for a modest reduction in Norwegian trout during frying. Boiled trout appeared to be a more valuable fish dish for obtaining the officially recommended appropriate daily intake of EPA + DHA for humans. Herring and sole had intermediate values, while boiled cod had a comparatively low value.

Keywords: Essential polyunsaturated fatty acids; Trout; Herring; Sole; Cod

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  stickers on fruit tell you if they're GM or grown w/toxins h3rm35 7 1,491 08-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Papaya, the Wonder Fruit: “Dismiss maya, eat papaya!” Solve et Coagula 1 1,235 03-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Last Post: thokling
  Dog 'suspected source of plague' --- 0 390 08-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Last Post: ---
  Food Inspector Coming to Fruit Stand Near You hilly7 4 721 04-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Last Post: Melchor
  Most Common Source of Calories in U.S. is LOADED With Mercury! hilly7 0 387 02-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Last Post: hilly7