Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabis laws to be strengthened
05-07-2008, 12:53 PM,
Quote:Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has said cannabis is to be reclassified as a Class B drug against officials' advice.

The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs says cannabis should stay a class C drug, the category to which it was downgraded under Tony Blair.

But Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said she wanted the law tightened because of the growing use of "skunk" - a stronger form of cannabis.

The Tories want cannabis to be Class B. Lib Dems want ministers to heed advice.

'Psychotic illness'

Ms Smith announced the change - which is subject to Parliamentary approval - during a statement to MPs.

She said the move was part of a "relentless drive" to tackle drugs and to protect the "future health of young people".

In its report, the advisory council described cannabis as a "significant public health issue" but said it should still remain a Class C drug, as the health risks were not as serious as those of Class B substances, such as amphetamines and barbiturates.

The report, Cannabis: Classification And Public Health, acknowledged the possible effect of the drug on mental health.

It said the evidence pointed to a "probable, but weak, causal link between psychotic illness, including schizophrenia, and cannabis use".

However, in the population as a whole, cannabis played only a "modest role" in the development of these conditions, it said.

Sir Michael Rawlings, chair of the advisory council, said: "Cannabis can unquestionably cause harm to individuals and society and the ACMD (the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs) is very concerned about its widespread use, particularly among young people.

"After careful scrutiny of the available evidence, the ACMD considers - based on its harmfulness to individuals and society - that cannabis should remain a Class C substance.

"However, the ACMD wishes to emphasise that cannabis is still a significant public health issue."

The council called for a concerted public health response to reduce the use of cannabis, with particular emphasis placed on targeting young people.

'Very concerned'

The committee, which includes judges, doctors, police and drug counsellors, also voiced concern about the prevalence of domestic cannabis farms supplying the market and the involvement of organised criminal networks.

They recommend stricter penalties for some suppliers.

Their report says cannabis should remain in Class C, where the maximum penalty for possession is two years, rather than five.

But, during the inquiry, "a minority" of council members disagreed, saying they were "very concerned" about the mental health risks of the widespread availability of more potent forms of the drug.

The advisory council did not look at the message conveyed to the public or the impact on policing, which it is not legally obliged to do.

'Sending a message'

Ms Smith said she accepted the vast majority of the advisory council's recommendations, but disagreed on the classification of the drug.

And Gordon Brown said at prime minister's questions that he believed making cannabis a Class B drug was supported by the public and the police.

Martin Barnes, from the charity Drugscope, urged Mr Brown to listen to the experts.

"The advisory council will be saying, as they did in their previous report, that rather than base policy on speculation or anxiety, it needs to be based on evidence," he said.

Deborah Cameron, of the drug and alcohol treatment charity Addaction, said education was needed, adding that changing the classification of cannabis would do little to deter people from smoking it.

Last month, Mr Brown said he wanted to "send a message" to young people that using cannabis was "unacceptable".

Cannabis was downgraded to Class C - which includes substances such as tranquilisers, some painkillers, GHB (so-called "liquid ecstasy") and ketamine - from Class B, in 2004. It means possession is treated largely as a non-arrestable offence.

The Conservatives have called for cannabis to be returned to Class B, while the Liberal Democrats have urged the government to be more open about the scientific advise it receives.

Home Office research published in February suggested skunk dominates the UK market - comprising 70% to 80% of samples seized by police.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7386889.stm
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall. - Che Guevara

Resistance Films Youtube Channel

TriWooOx Podcast
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM,
A got a question. How much cannibus do you need to smoke until brain damage starts to show up?
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
05-07-2008, 11:27 PM,
Quote:A got a question. How much cannibus do you need to smoke until brain damage starts to show up?

Pot doesn't cause brain damage. It has been shown to increase oxygen to the brain by relaxing capillaries, so it is beneficial to the human body. This whole "dangerous skunk" thing that they have been taunting is complete horseshit. If you want to see actual medical research done on cannabis go to http://www.norml.org/. Anything that the BBC has been putting out about the dangers of weed or that is causes psychosis or that it is more potent and more dangerous is all propaganda to keep people from opening their minds and to keep them in fear.
You can also check out some of my posts in this forum refuting a lot of these BBC propaganda pieces.

It is my belief and experience that when used correctly, cannabis can help you throw off the mental programming that we receive through all of the media and social inputs. I think this is one of the reasons such a big deal is made about a beneficial plant.
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
05-08-2008, 01:31 AM,
flawed logic:

Last month he said he wanted to "send a message" to young people that using the substance was "unacceptable".

This makes me extremely angry, so now sitting here im a criminal that should goto jail for 7 years.

This has got to be the biggest misjustice in my existenz
05-08-2008, 02:00 AM,
Quote:
Quote:A got a question. How much cannibus do you need to smoke until brain damage starts to show up?

Pot doesn't cause brain damage. It has been shown to increase oxygen to the brain by relaxing capillaries, so it is beneficial to the human body. This whole "dangerous skunk" thing that they have been taunting is complete horseshit. If you want to see actual medical research done on cannabis go to http://www.norml.org/. Anything that the BBC has been putting out about the dangers of weed or that is causes psychosis or that it is more potent and more dangerous is all propaganda to keep people from opening their minds and to keep them in fear.
You can also check out some of my posts in this forum refuting a lot of these BBC propaganda pieces.

It is my belief and experience that when used correctly, cannabis can help you throw off the mental programming that we receive through all of the media and social inputs. I think this is one of the reasons such a big deal is made about a beneficial plant.
I see, overuse of anything is bad but the right amount can keep you healthy. Thank you
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
05-08-2008, 02:16 AM,
the health risks for cannabis, its like the classfication argument, they are completely irrelevant.
05-08-2008, 03:27 AM,
Quote:I see, overuse of anything is bad but the right amount can keep you healthy. Thank you

That is right on the button.
There's a reason that it's been used as medicine for thousands of years but it's only been illegal in the US since 1937. The same reason that UK "authorities" want to make stiffer penalties for the use or possession of this wonderful plant.
Control of the "undesirable elements", as Nixon was quoted, to keep our minds closed and to keep us from a natural source of medicine.
Not to mention that hemp seeds can be used for nutrition that is even more comprehensive than soy products, the fibers can be used to make textiles and rope and the oil can be used for an easily replenishable bio-fuel. I could go on and on...

This wonder plant would upset a lot of the carts of TPTB in many ways and this is why it's demonized.
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
05-08-2008, 04:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2008, 05:00 AM by Nyte.)
lol the feds can go fuck themselves im buying an ounce tommorrow

Quote:It is my belief and experience that when used correctly, cannabis can help you throw off the mental programming that we receive through all of the media and social inputs. I think this is one of the reasons such a big deal is made about a beneficial plant.

Damn right
The first step to revolution is consciousness,
So I wont stop screaming at you until this all make sense.
05-08-2008, 06:31 AM,
Quote:It's a joke that 'techno smack' (ketamine) is class C

I did "special K" once.... it sucked. I wonder why a anesthetic would be class C though?
05-08-2008, 06:56 AM,
did u reach a K-hole?
The first step to revolution is consciousness,
So I wont stop screaming at you until this all make sense.
05-08-2008, 01:47 PM,
I did ketamine once. It was pretty cool. I liked it because it had an analgesic effect like -ocet family oxycodone painkillers but paired with a euphoric upper effect. However it tasted really medical/medicinal in a way that felt intrinsically negative.

I'd probably not do it again.

Smoke weed everyday.
&We grow to recognize form. We grow to label that form. In doing so, do we become more intelligent? Do we become more awakened?& - Siji Tzu 四季子
05-08-2008, 01:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2008, 01:54 PM by yeti.)
You would have to smoke so much that the carbon monoxide built up enough to starve your brain of oxygen. I have no idea, but it's irrelevant, since smoking anything in sufficient quantities would do the same thing.

The only problem with cannabis is that when smoked heavily & chronically, it can be counterproductive - but you could say the same for almost any other drug. At least with cannabis, you won't be a danger to others in that state...
[Image: randquote.png]
05-08-2008, 04:12 PM,
This wonder plant would upset a lot of the carts of TPTB in many ways and this is why it's demonized.

....TPTB ?
05-08-2008, 04:28 PM,
Quote:
Quote:This wonder plant would upset a lot of the carts of TPTB in many ways and this is why it's demonized.
....TPTB ?
The Powers That Be.
[Image: randquote.png]
05-09-2008, 01:14 AM,
fuck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Science of Cannabis (New Documentary) vagabonder 0 436 03-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Last Post: vagabonder
  Study: Cannabis Use Unlikely To Cause Schizophrenia Easy Skanking 5 942 12-22-2013, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Retired Judge Reveals the Surprising Rationale for America's Extremist Drug Laws mexika 1 1,162 01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Last Post: macfadden
  It's Official: Cannabis Possession And Cultivation Now Legal In Colorado Easy Skanking 3 916 12-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Cannabis usage Easy Skanking 39 9,227 01-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Sovereignman
Information First Ever Federal Legislation Introduced to Allow States to Control Marijuana Laws FastTadpole 1 1,152 08-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Dutch government to ban tourists from cannabis shops Mike_Smith 2 1,026 05-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Last Post: pax681
  Up in smoke: 'Cannabis gave me my life back' drummer 13 4,173 05-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Last Post: zapoper
  Judge Strikes Down Canada's Marijuana Laws Again springhawk 3 1,598 04-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Deathaniel
  Cannabis fed to ducks by French farmer for 'deworming' mothandrust 1 870 11-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Last Post: persecuted in alberni