Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mandatory digital television - why?
10-25-2008, 06:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2008, 06:58 PM by laundrybag.)
for the past few days i've been thinking about this mandatory switch to digital television

i found this on the dtv.gov site:
Quote:Congress mandated that February 17, 2009 would be the last day for full-power television stations to broadcast in analog. Broadcast stations in all U.S. markets are currently broadcasting in both analog and digital. After February 17, 2009, full-power television stations will broadcast in digital only.

and this
Quote:An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

Consumers also benefit because digital broadcasting allows stations to offer improved picture and sound quality, and digital is much more efficient than analog. For example, rather than being limited to providing one analog program, a broadcaster is able to offer a super sharp “high definition” (HD) digital program or multiple “standard definition” (SD) digital programs simultaneously through a process called “multicasting.” Multicasting allows broadcast stations to offer several channels of digital programming at the same time, using the same amount of spectrum required for one analog program. So, for example, while a station broadcasting in analog on channel 7 is only able to offer viewers one program, a station broadcasting in digital on channel 7 can offer viewers one digital program on channel 7-1, a second digital program on channel 7-2, a third digital program on channel 7-3, and so on. This means more programming choices for viewers.

i've been wondering about why congress would be worried about my television viewing experience enough to mandate a change
in one of my quotes it says this
"free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications"

i'm wondering if there is more to it than what they are saying
do any of you have any thoughts on this subject?

EDIT:
oops i meant to put this in the "Off Topic Chit Chat " section
i'm not sure how i got it in here
would a mod please move it then PM me a link to where you put it so i can view the responses
thank you
10-25-2008, 07:29 PM,
extra wavelengths not visible by the naked eye and yet able to interact with brain functions...that my 2cents:)
[Image: absurditiesvoltaire300oh0.gif]
------------------
&I've come to the conclusion, after having spent many years in politics, is that our presidential elections turn out to be more of a charade than anything else, and I think that is true today. It is a charade,& - Ron Paul, Sept 2008.
------------------
We're in a lot of trouble, watch this - http://www.youtube.com/v/3L3QVn4JyYA
------------------
[Image: guns250x200dw9.jpg]
[Image: armiw4.gif]
------------------
You cannot tax someone's labor because that is slavery
- Ed Brown, June 18 2007
------------------
The world's &freeest& country has the highest number in prison.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The crisis of modern democracy is a profound one. Free elections, a free press and an independent judiciary mean little when the free market has reduced them to commodities available on sale to the highest bidder.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The era of manufacturing consent has given way to the era of manufacturing news. Soon media newsrooms will drop the pretense, and start hiring theater directors instead of journalists.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The structure of capitalism is flawed. The motor that powers it cannot but vastly increase the disparity between the poor and the rich globally and within countries as well. Parecon is a brave argument for replacing that flawed machine and offers a much needed -- more equitable, democratic, participatory -- alternative economic vision.
- arundhati roy
------------------
[The choice between John Kerry and George Bush] is not a real choice. It's an apparent choice. Like choosing a brand of detergent. Whether you buy Ivory Snow or Tide, they're both owned by Proctor & Gamble.
- arundhati roy
------------------
No government's condemnation of terrorism is credible if it cannot show itself to be open to change by nonviolent dissent
- arundhati roy
[Image: sigterrorgj3.jpg]
------------------
Dr. Hermann Oberth who pioneered rocket design for the German Reich during World War II and later advanced rocket technology for the American manned space launches, cryptically stated: "We cannot take the credit for our record advancement in certain scientific fields alone; we have been helped."

When asked by whom, he replied: "The people of other worlds."
10-26-2008, 01:29 AM,
One reason is mentioned there. The broadcast companies want to sell off the spectrum they were given for cell phone companies etc... Another corporate welfare program. Also digital TV is probably more mesmerizing than analogue.
10-26-2008, 07:04 PM,
Quote:for the past few days i've been thinking about this mandatory switch to digital television

This - "free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications" is interesting, yet here is something else.

ADVERTISING - you know how they love to market to us and keep records of what/when we buy.
Well, the plan is for individual television marketing. Your TV will be able to show you commercials for products and services that are picked just for you from your previous spending habits.
Even more this system will know and keep track of your viewing habits, what channels/shows and when. It will be able to determine that Mr. Smith watches ESPN in the evening in the bedroom, while Mrs. Smith is watching LIFETIME in the living room. Then each can get personalized advertisements. Tools for him, crafts for her, and toys for junior over in the family room, viewing CARTOON NETWORK.
It's true, heard it at the university, from a telecommunications professor.

laundrybag ???
I just don't feel right calling you that, yo laundry wuz up
&Alice laughed, &There's no use trying,& she said: &one can't believe impossible things.& &I daresay you haven't had much practice,& said the Queen. &When I was your age I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.&
- Lewis Carroll

&Things are seldom as they seem ... Skim milk masquerades as cream.&
- Gilbert and Sullivan (Pinafore)

At NASA, it really is rocket science, and the decision makers really are rocket scientists.
But a body of research that is getting more and more attention points to the ways that smart people working collectively can be dumber than the sum of their parts. .. Irwin Janis? &Groupthink:& is a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members' striving for unanimity override realistic appraisals ? It is the triumph of concurrence over good sense, and authority over expertise.&
-John Schwartz & Matthew L. Wade
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM,
this will also help in profiling personalities
&Alice laughed, &There's no use trying,& she said: &one can't believe impossible things.& &I daresay you haven't had much practice,& said the Queen. &When I was your age I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.&
- Lewis Carroll

At NASA, it really is rocket science, and the decision makers really are rocket scientists.
But a body of research that is getting more and more attention points to the ways that smart people working collectively can be dumber than the sum of their parts. .. Irwin Janis? &Groupthink:& is a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members' striving for unanimity override realistic appraisals ? It is the triumph of concurrence over good sense, and authority over expertise.&
10-31-2008, 12:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-31-2008, 01:02 PM by rsol.)
digital Vs analogue.

In order to produce a "channel" on Your TV through UHF the signal is not just one tiny spec on a spectrum. The bandwidth needed to produce a TV signal is way more than the bandwidth that it actually covers. for instance. when you turn the dial on your radio to a station it doesnt turn to the channel instantly, it sort of arrives through some noise and phasing and eventually it sounds as it should. The same principle happens on TV.

You have various radio signals around the dead center point. These culminate into the signal you eventually see on your TV as one coherent signal. If You put TV channels right next to each other, they would interfere with each others signals.

How DVB works is taking a massive chunk of that bandwidth and making a very fast, very coherent signal with various compressed streams down the line. This generally means that ALL TV channels have the same bandwidth as such. The decoder simply decides what part of the data coming in you want to read. This makes for a much more efficient use of bandwidth. for the amount you needed for a coherent analogue signal you could in essence broadcast about 3 DVB channels. Plus for digital you can use ALL of that bandwidth for your channels.

The real problems stem from the use of "pirate" TV. You cant broadcast your own TV without going through a medium. When all bandwidth is covered any rogue signals will be simple interference to the resident signal or be canceled out due to being the lesser signal. digital radio kills pirate radio, the same goes for TV.

The idea of feedback to the carrier through digital TV doesn't always jibe. On cable that is certainly a possibility. Satellite and terrestrial signals are a one-way signal. They produce, you receive. cable and VOD are the only way you can have targeted advertising.
10-31-2008, 03:28 PM,
digital Vs analogue.

because most of the tv's comming out nowadays can be used as an online camara
we talked about this on the old con cen fourm
[Image: 20-mugger.gif]
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM,
Yeah I was wondering if that was going to be the case...Digital would turn the TVs into those damn Telescreens from 1984.
There has to be more to it, especially when its being forced. I also thought about how the digital aspect could help them with TV trickery/manufactured images, subliminals, frequencies etc...

Whatever it is, I dont like it.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research"
~William Cooper

DTTNWO!
11-01-2008, 05:01 AM,
Quote:The idea of feedback to the carrier through digital TV doesn't always jibe. On cable that is certainly a possibility. Satellite and terrestrial signals are a one-way signal. They produce, you receive. cable and VOD are the only way you can have targeted advertising.

all I know is that personalized advertising is a real plan, digital signals are for cable as well as satellite, and some folks will be viewing through a signal converter, neither cable or satellite.

I didn't say that was the reason for the switch, just a thought.
I personally don't like this targeted advertising agenda, no matter how it does or doesn't work.
I hope that your correct and that I can avoid it just by having satellite.
- Lewis Carroll

11-01-2008, 06:03 AM,
I have this thing stuck in my head that just maybe the brain functions are more in tune with a digital signal.

As far as transmitting, it is possible they could do that with a small amount of effort and a satellite (s) by placing a small transmitter that would generate a signal that could be transmitted, not really that hard to do given today's tech. There very well could be a weak signal transferred back.

Our body, if I'm correct, works on digital signal, brain and actualy DNA. A simple series of 0 & 1s. There is something other than saving more going on here.
11-01-2008, 06:09 AM,
Who needs targeted advertising when you have the telepathy ray?

http://technology.newscientist.com/article...ic-ray-gun.html

:freaked:
11-02-2008, 06:09 PM,
Quote:Who needs targeted advertising when you have the telepathy ray?

http://technology.newscientist.com/article...ic-ray-gun.html

:freaked:
That and the amnesia beam
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/10/air-forces-amne.html
- Lewis Carroll

11-02-2008, 11:50 PM,
thanks for reminding me. I have just received my two coupons to get that converter, oh..converter...hmmmm. Anyway, I'm looking for a place and credit them.
Unite The Many, defeat the few.

Revolution is for the love of your people, culture, knowledge, wisdom, spirit, and peace. Not Greed!
Soul Rebel Native Son

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=277...enous&hl=en
11-02-2008, 11:56 PM,
Quote:I have this thing stuck in my head that just maybe the brain functions are more in tune with a digital signal.

As far as transmitting, it is possible they could do that with a small amount of effort and a satellite (s) by placing a small transmitter that would generate a signal that could be transmitted, not really that hard to do given today's tech. There very well could be a weak signal transferred back.

Our body, if I'm correct, works on digital signal, brain and actualy DNA. A simple series of 0 & 1s. There is something other than saving more going on here.

this sounds like that movie, the happening. People stop moving at a certain place on the earth. Through something thats making them commit self induce suicide many liberate themselves of existance. The funny part is it targets large groups of people, city, towns, or parks. Something to do with concentration of and the effectiveness of the signal to do what its supposed to do when a great many crowds are present. It also seemed to intensified when emotions rose up. People antenna like feature where people fell like a domino affect...
Unite The Many, defeat the few.

Revolution is for the love of your people, culture, knowledge, wisdom, spirit, and peace. Not Greed!
Soul Rebel Native Son

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=277...enous&hl=en
11-04-2008, 02:39 PM,
the radiation coming from the TV is the same, analogue or digital. However There would be achange in the signal being sent to the receivers, as far as I know this will just be more data in the same bandwidth. I don't think you can think of it being sent as 0s or 1s, it is likely sent in a much more complex manner which is then converted into the 0s and 1s, in the receiver.

It will have the benefit of stopping pirate transmissions or at least make it much more difficult, this will be a bummer when they change the radio to digital only in the uk as there are a lot of pirate stations in the cities.

The main reason has to be the value of that bandwidth. They are well advanced into designing a broadband service through these frequencies, this is going to be worth a huge amount of money, especially providing broadband to remote areas that cannot currently receive it.

As far as placing a transmitter for satalite, Im sure it could be done, but not without people finding out about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital Cloning: Rise of the Cylons? April 3 1,366 10-27-2010, 02:40 AM
Last Post: yeti
  Digital Contacts April 2 927 09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Digital Biz Cable makes big promises for African Internet --- 1 727 08-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Digital Overload Is Frying Our Brains Weyland 0 591 02-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Weyland
  The Digital Conspiracy Milstein 12 1,953 11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Last Post: itmakesmewonder