Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to become a better Christian
12-10-2008, 02:09 AM,
First off, I did not write this, I found this on a blog. Second, I dont want to trigger a war but was wondering what your beliefs are. Thanks and enjoy.

Ok, I'm going to be very brief, yet very blunt, make a few points, so that I wasn't asked why by my Creator, on the Day of Judgement, I was too terrified to even open my mouth and speak the truth, when it is God, and God alone that I should fear.

With that in mind I'm going to try to be very diplomatic in what I say, all the while fully recognizing that no matter how diplomatic I am being someone is still probably going to get their feelings hurt. Understand it is not my intention to hurt anyones feelings, but rather, speak the truth. And by truth, I mean that which is established, and can be proven, and that which is not relative or dependant upon emotional or mystical experiences, but reason and intellect.

First, know that I am not trying to get anyone to become Muslim. Keep that very important sentence in mind, and at the end of this I'll tell you why I said that.

But what I am trying to do is be a good Christian. I know that sounds odd coming from a Muslim, but be sure, this is my honest intention. I am trying my best to follow the example of Jesus Christ, a man who didn't pull any punches when he spoke. A man who wasn't afraid to walk into a temple full of hypocrits who were blaspheming God's house, and kck over their tables full of money.

Now, here is a question that was once asked of me, that completely pulled the wool from my eyes, and left me in deep thought for quite some time. As Christians, you believe Jesus Christ is going to return. As Muslims, we believe Jesus Christ is going to return. But the question is, the ever so important question is, who will he recognize as his followers when he gets back?

[Image: disc2.jpg]

artist depiction of the disciples of Christ

[Image: religious_elder.gif]

artist depiction of Yemeni Muslim scholar

Consider that Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi, thus, he didn't eat any pork. Muslims don't eat pork. do Christians?

Consider that Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi, and therefore grew a beard for religious reasons. Muslim men grow beards for religious reasons. Do Christians?

Jesus, being a Jewish male, probably never entered the Temple without his yarmulke (skull cap) on. Muslims wear almost the exact same thing, A Kufi. Do Christians?

Yarmulke:

[Image: yarmulke-20007m.jpg]

Kufi:

[Image: hab-040528-1.jpg]

Jesus's disciples kept daily prayer times. (Just check Acts chapter 3 verse 1 where Peter and John were "going up to the temple at the time of prayer...") Muslims keep daily prayer times. Do Christians?

Jesus fasted for a little over a month (Matthew 4:2). Do Christians fast for a month? Muslims do. It's called the Month of Ramadan.

Jesus greets people by saying "peace be with you." (John 20:23, amongst other places.) Do Christians greet each other with this greeting? Because Muslims do.

Christians are ordered to not say they are going to do anything without first adding the phrase "If God wills" (James 4:15). Christians might do this once in a great while maybe, but Muslims don't so much as say they are going to get a glass of water without first saying "Inshallah." which means "If God wills."

Christian women are ordered to wear hair coverings (Corinthians chapter 11.) Do Christian women wear hair coverings? Because Muslim women do.

[Image: 5virginmarycs0.jpg]

Artist depiction of Virgin Mary

[Image: soumaya_ghannoushi_140x140.jpg]

Muslim woman.

So the point is, Muslims and Christians both believe that Jesus Christ is going to return. But the HUGE and IMPORTANT question is, who will he TRULY recognize as those striving to follow him? Christians or Muslims?

Now I said I am not trying to make anyone become a Muslim. And I fully meant that. The point I'm making is simply REMINDING you Christians, my brethren, of what you have forgotten in your scripture. The Qu'ran calls itself a reminder. And that's all it is. It is reminding the Christians and Jews what they have forgotten to practice IN THEIR OWN RELIGION.

So Christians, are you ready to follow Jesus TRULY and COMPLETELY? Are you ready to be REAL CHRISTIANS? Because in order to follow the EXAMPLE OF CHRIST, you must give up pork, establish daily prayer times, enjoin your women to wear hair coverings, grow a beard, wear a kufi, fast for at least 1 month a year, give charity, greet each other with "peace be with you", and start saying "If God wills" before everything you do.

P.S. It wouldn't hurt to stop calling him JESUS, also, because JESUS is not his name. It is the LATINIZED version of his name, which in Hebrew was YESHUAH, or ESAU for short. ESAU is pronounced "EESAW" or "EESA" which is what he is called in the Qu'ran: "Isa ibn Maryam." (Jesus, the son of Mary.)

My only desire is for you and me to be a better Christian.

Salaam aleikum. (Peace be with you.)

[Image: group.prayer.jpg]
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
12-10-2008, 02:19 AM,
He will recognize nobody, everyone he knew died a couple thousand years ago, except perhaps the "wandering Jew", I think he keeps a pretty low profile if he exists.
12-10-2008, 02:40 AM,
i choose to believe Jesus will recognise me for who i am and how i behave, rather than the fashion or rituals i adopt.

Vitam Impendere Vero
12-10-2008, 02:55 AM,
Quote:i choose to believe Jesus will recognise me for who i am and how i behave, rather than the fashion or rituals i adopt.
Interesting... but can't fasion and rituals influence how you or someone else behaves?
12-10-2008, 03:29 AM,
Quote:
Quote:i choose to believe Jesus will recognise me for who i am and how i behave, rather than the fashion or rituals i adopt.
Interesting... but can't fasion and rituals influence how you or someone else behaves?
sure. but does wearing a beard or a hat or chanting a few sounds make you a better person?

and who's to say whether that influence is positive or negative? if it means blind subservience without understanding then to my mind it's negative.

Vitam Impendere Vero
12-10-2008, 04:37 AM,
Quote:
Quote:
sure. but does wearing a beard or a hat or chanting a few sounds make you a better person?
Of coarse not, its whats in the heart that matters, your right.
Quote:and who's to say whether that influence is positive or negative? if it means blind subservience without understanding then to my mind it's negative.
Again your right, doing it blindly is like not doing it at all, unless it has a positive outcome. Its all based on intentions really.
Thank you.
12-10-2008, 04:39 AM,
The author critiques Christians and the best he can come up with is they don't wear beanies? Also how do we know Jesus had a beard? I think he had what is in common parlance referred to as a Hitler mustache although Charlie Chaplin, and I assert Jesus had rightful claims to that mustache style due to prior use.
12-10-2008, 04:48 AM,
Quote:The author critiques Christians and the best he can come up with is they don't wear beanies? Also how do we know Jesus had a beard? I think he had what is in common parlance referred to as a Hitler mustache although Charlie Chaplin, and I assert Jesus had rightful claims to that mustache style due to prior use.
Lol Jesus with a hitler stache :crazy:
They are not beanies they are caps, get it right son:content:
The author also talks about other things besides "beanies" and beards. I think the "Peace be with you" would be a pretty nice thing for Christians to say besides the "Hi" I think.
12-10-2008, 06:07 AM,
But religion is all about blind subservience, if you have to ask questions then you have no faith. Well if you want more than dogma can provide that is, most religions have plenty of answers to many questions, it is where they make no sense that faith is required.

The big question for which there is no answer is why does god care more for this group of people than for that when all people are pretty much the same. Individuals may have their differences but the traits that are expressed within one group are pretty much the same as any other group given a sufficient population. Some lead some follow and some wig out variously.
12-10-2008, 06:11 AM,
I admit I have an agenda with the facial hair thing. I hate it that one megalomaniac can ruin a whole mustache style. Nobody calls the standard length mustache the Stalin. It's bullshit. Jesus is just the guy to clean up the image of the short mustache.

Anyway, my real point was that there are much more substantive critiques of modern Christians than ripping them for their lack of blind adherence to hollow rituals. For example, how about the fact that Jesus ministered to people of disreputable backgrounds but Christians today as a group are overwhelmingly the most hyper-judgmental, pious, self-righteous people on the planet. That's a huge deal and it runs afoul of so much of the Gospel message. It would probably piss the inventor of the Hitler mustache off orders of magnitude more than someone eating a ham sandwich.
12-10-2008, 08:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2008, 08:12 AM by mastermg.)
Razz, I can answer your question. All people are born equal in the eyes of God, but its your actions that get you closer to God, thus making you more favorable not in this life but the hereafter.
Thats my Islamic viewpoint, it could be different for Christians.
Also, we are encouraged in our Mosques to ask questions and not follow blindly. Asking questions does quite the opposite, it strengthens ones faith when they find an answer. Plus, theres an answer for everything. It might not be textually evident but thats why we have scholars to interpret the text.
12-10-2008, 08:16 AM,
Melchor, I understand what your saying. Theres Christians that celebrate halloween for Christ sake.
Dont trip, I think the stache is nice and Id be wearing one now if it wasnt demonized by Hitler.
12-10-2008, 11:51 AM,
Quote:Plus, theres an answer for everything. It might not be textually evident but thats why we have scholars to interpret the text.

Or just invent some bullshit to justify their strangle-hold over the populace!!

If the "text" is so holy and specific it should need no interpretation or did Allah not do a good enough job telling Mohammed the rules, surely you can't be saying that your god is fallable? Is putting words into your gods mouth something that any human being is qualified to do even if they are a self-styled scholar?

This thread reeks of the same tired Islam (or any other religion) is better than a.n.other belief system. Does this forum need more threads like that? My answer to that would be "no".

Being a new member I've spent a long time reading back over some of the threads on this forum and it's clear to me that the quality of subjects discussed (and articles posted) has dropped considerably. Is it really necessary to post every little thing that newspapers like the Daily Mail (a truly hateful right wing British tabloid) put onto their websites? I'm sure if forum members wanted to read scare-mongering crap they could type the url in themselves!! Although it seems to be an easy way to become an admin on here judging by the evidence.

All we need now is a paragraph of broken English describing how Tesla invented flying discs that Mohammed used, how sitting in "full lotus" enabled Mohammed to orgasm at will or some such drivel and this thread will be complete.:LOL:
“Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat.” - Professor Brian Cox.
12-10-2008, 05:32 PM,
Quote:Razz, I can answer your question. All people are born equal in the eyes of God, but its your actions that get you closer to God, thus making you more favorable not in this life but the hereafter.
This is simply not true. Being that the Abrahamic religions are based on being part of a chosen race or at least having come into contact and allowing yourself to be swayed by such a person, it is as much "who you know" as "how you blow" or are you suggesting that those poor Brazilian tribes shooting arrows at airplanes have a chance at paradise having never heard the word of Allah? Do you think they ate the missionaries? Why did god allow that? Guess he doesn't want them.
12-10-2008, 07:14 PM,
Quote:
Quote:Razz, I can answer your question. All people are born equal in the eyes of God, but its your actions that get you closer to God, thus making you more favorable not in this life but the hereafter.
This is simply not true. Being that the Abrahamic religions are based on being part of a chosen race or at least having come into contact and allowing yourself to be swayed by such a person, it is as much "who you know" as "how you blow" or are you suggesting that those poor Brazilian tribes shooting arrows at airplanes have a chance at paradise having never heard the word of Allah? Do you think they ate the missionaries? Why did god allow that? Guess he doesn't want them.
Of coarse they have a chance for paradise, they just go to hell only if they heard of Islam and rejected it. God knows best though. Also, it doesn't matter how we die in this world. This world is only a test, so might live longer, some richer, some poorer. Again its all based on intentions and actions. And the main goal in life in to get as close to God as possible. I know it all sounds like science fiction right now but you have to be very naive to think this is it, this is life and death is the ending.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Santa - Christian Or Secular ? jack 15 1,794 12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Last Post: SiLVa
  Comets Honda and Elenin fulfill Mayan, Hopi and Christian Prophesies Solve et Coagula 0 400 06-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Solve et Coagula
  The Christian Fascists Are Growing Stronger h3rm35 31 4,234 08-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Last Post: mothandrust
  "Christian-Zionism" Is Trouble for Israel and the USA h3rm35 0 461 07-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Fast-Growing Christian Churches Crushed in China FastTadpole 5 1,098 01-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Last Post: jack
Rainbow Do you "file share"? Are you "Christian"? Read this essay ... solar 6 1,726 12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Last Post: mothandrust
  Christian hotel owners hauled before court after defending their beliefs in discussion with Muslim guest --- 13 1,581 09-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Last Post: mastermg
  Muslim film: Christian messiah is the Antichrist BlindTheAllSeeingEye 4 924 09-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Last Post: giznad
  Christian right aims to change history lessons in Texas schools mothandrust 4 932 07-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Last Post: triplesix
  Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz SerialExpLain 0 495 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Last Post: SerialExpLain