Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Greatest Guitar Solo ever is...
04-20-2014, 03:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2014, 03:28 PM by CharliePrime.)
Star  The Greatest Guitar Solo ever is...
Without a doubt, the greatest guitar solo ever is Paganini's 5th Caprice, featured in the 1986 movie Crossroads where Steve Vai and Ry Cooder battle to determine if the Devil will win a young boy's soul.

Here is the battle:

Here is the piece on violin:

The solo by guitar legend Randy Rhodes in Mr. Crowley is a close second.
04-20-2014, 04:49 PM,
RE: The Greatest Guitar Solo ever is...
If we're taking votes, mine goes to Justin Beebler. He doesn't know how to play guitar yet, but when he learns, he'll easily be the best, ever.
04-20-2014, 05:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM by CharliePrime.)
NO VOTES! Questioning my greatest guitar solo ever decision is forbidden, not allowed, verboten, prohibo!
04-20-2014, 08:07 PM,
Vai is one of The Masters of guitar. His playing in "Crossroads" showed me there was a whole new level of guitar player out there. The first time I saw this movie my jaw was hanging open. Now, I love playing that piece as it's a nice workout for the fingers.

For best solo, I think it still goes to Vai but it's the solo in David Lee Roth's "Big Trouble".

At 2:06 of the video...

“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
04-20-2014, 08:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM by CharliePrime.)
That was sweet.

I don't know where it's from, but I always liked Steve Vai's piece Bad Horsie.

Somehow he gets creates an awesome chunky chunka bass I like, with a bright upper midrange. I usually dislike this much midrange and prefer bright highs, but here is the exception...

04-20-2014, 09:28 PM,
"Bad Horsie" is from the album "Alien Love Secrets". He tunes his guitar to D standard and then drops the low D string to C. That's the low chugging chunky part and uses the Bad Horsie wah pedal from Morley for the higher melodies. That's the best whah pedal out there as all you have to do is step on it to turn it on. There's no heel switch like on Crybaby wahs and no click when stepping on it. It's an opto-electric motion sensor so as soon as the sensor detects movement it silently turns the pedal on. Then take your foot off to turn it off. I love that pedal. Cool song, too. On that same album, "Kill the Guy With the Ball" is nuts.

hehe 4:20
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
04-21-2014, 12:10 PM,
Anything by Hendrix - no competition... wavelinewaveline
Remember you are unique
...just like everyone else.
04-21-2014, 12:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM by rockingtheboat.)
The masters of guitar playing are the flamenco players bar none. No need for weird costumes, crazy make-up, see-how-I-am-so-cool attitude, one pedal for this, another pedal for that...etc to try to compensate for the lack of their artistry. It's just like a boring and shallow movie where the director inserts some sex scenes, hoping it will make everybody forget how bad the movie really is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ

Ok, when it comes to modern guitar, Stevie Ray is (was) very gifted for sure :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjXp4KTTY8

@ Easy Skanking : I watched the video you embeded. Heuuu...are you sure you don't need therapy ?. lol
04-25-2014, 02:41 AM,
(04-21-2014, 12:52 PM)rockingtheboat Wrote: The masters of guitar playing are the flamenco players bar none. No need for weird costumes, crazy make-up, see-how-I-am-so-cool attitude, one pedal for this, another pedal for that...etc to try to compensate for the lack of their artistry. It's just like a boring and shallow movie where the director inserts some sex scenes, hoping it will make everybody forget how bad the movie really is :

Spoken like a true ignorant music snob... Doghump

Ah, well...pearls before swine and all... Wink

(04-21-2014, 12:52 PM)rockingtheboat Wrote: Ok, when it comes to modern guitar, Stevie Ray is (was) very gifted for sure

Sure, if you don't mind the fact that he completely ripped off Hendrix. Big Grin

(04-21-2014, 12:52 PM)rockingtheboat Wrote: @ Easy Skanking : I watched the video you embeded. Heuuu...are you sure you don't need therapy ?. lol
How about this video version?

Does that make you feel a little more comfortable and safer? LOL
There must be some unmapped ground in there if you have an issue with Roth hanging his ass out like he's been doing since the 70's. LOL

04-25-2014, 02:45 PM,
I don't even own a guitar right now. Two years ago I gave my 1972 Fender Stratocaster to a 17 year-old kid in Los Angeles to refinish. I need to go get it back.

This video is exactly what I sound like when I do play.

I'm not joking.
04-26-2014, 03:11 AM,

The drums ain't too shabby either.
05-02-2014, 07:09 PM,
Any love for Joe Satriani?

(Gets nice about 5 minutes in)

I'm going to see him next month as a birthday present from Wifey....can't wait Eatdrink007

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guitar legend-inventor Les Paul dies at age 94 Easy Skanking 3 1,437 08-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Last Post: hilly7
  Sport's Greatest Video Highlights drummer 0 667 04-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Last Post: drummer
  History's greatest conspiracy theories TriWooOx 5 1,282 11-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Last Post: psilocybin
  Don't miss The BBC's The Story Of the Guitar Weyland 5 1,859 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Last Post: humbug
  'Hezbollah greatest US security threat' TriWooOx 0 705 05-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  Al-Qaeda 'greatest threat' to US TriWooOx 0 583 05-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  Going bankrupt: The US's greatest threat... EireWarrior 0 638 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Last Post: EireWarrior
  One of the greatest scams of 20th century: Diamond Business MikeWB 0 897 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Last Post: MikeWB
  Custom Conspiracy Central Guitar Strap Weyland 3 1,193 02-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Weyland
  Lots Of Symbolism In Guitar Hero 2 RealTruthSeeker 18 3,044 01-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Conspiracy Dave