Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“Australians have very bad habits – piracy happens to be one of them.”
09-25-2013, 02:37 PM,
Smile  “Australians have very bad habits – piracy happens to be one of them.”
Subscribers Pirate Game of Thrones Even Though They Already Paid For It

Comments from News Corp CEO Robert Thomson on the issue of Internet piracy... Speaking at a Goldman Sachs investment conference yesterday, Thompson revealed that 20% of his Foxtel subscribers that had already paid for Game of Thrones still chose to pirate the show instead.

http://torrentfreak.com/subscribers-pirate-game-of-thrones-even-though-they-already-paid-for-it-130925/

“Piracy in Australia is at an extraordinary level,” he said.

“Sixteen per cent – that’s one in six – of all illegal downloads of Breaking Bad are in Australia. There aren’t that many people in Australia,” he joked.

But again it was Game of Thrones generating the most interesting debate. News Corp owns 50% of pay television company Foxtel, the outfit with the rights to show Game of Thrones in Australia. At last count during August the company had around 2.5 million subscribers, but despite the show being legally available to them, the News Corp CEO said that 20% of Foxtel customers still chose to watch the show illegally.

“People are just in the habit of illegal downloads,” Thomson said. “Australians have very bad habits – piracy happens to be one of them.”
09-25-2013, 05:46 PM,
RE: “Australians have very bad habits – piracy happens to be one of them.”
Suck it up, bitches.
Truth appears in many forms. Find those that resonate with you.

- "If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we do not believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky
- "Humans are not a rational animal, but a rationalizing one." - Leon Festinger

http://avaaz.org - The World In Action
09-26-2013, 04:56 AM,
"News Corp CEO said that 20% of Foxtel customers still chose to watch the show illegally."

What sort of data are they collecting to arrive at that figure? You'd need the downloaders' IP for sure.
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
09-26-2013, 07:57 AM,
(09-26-2013, 04:56 AM)FastTadpole Wrote: "News Corp CEO said that 20% of Foxtel customers still chose to watch the show illegally."

What sort of data are they collecting to arrive at that figure? You'd need the downloaders' IP for sure.

Definitely. News Corp would have to download the swarm data and correlate that information with the IP addresses it has on file for its customers. Or poll its users.

- "If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we do not believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky

09-26-2013, 12:50 PM,
Media corporations keep a close watch on which shows are popular where by monitoring the swarm data. It's very valuable data they usually have to pay a company like Nielsen big bucks to gather.

In this case the NewsCorp CEO is telling investors to support his efforts to take over the broadband business.

For better fascism, the bankers need to own both the media creators (hollywood, "news", television, big websites) AND own all the content delivery systems, the internet backbone and cellular network.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/foxtel-triple-play-of-great-appeal-thomson/story-e6frg996-1226726884826

When they own both, any dissenting or "radical" content can be blocked. This is the purpose of the recent "Open I.D." push http://openid.net and "real journalist" stuff, to make it necessary to have a license to put content on the internet.

Before he died 20 years ago, my Grandfather laughed out loud when I told him I had to register my little flat-bottom fishing boat. My grandchildren will find the idea of posting to the internet anonymously equally laughable. Putting anything online will require I.D. and licensure just like driving a car does today.
09-26-2013, 02:11 PM,
(09-26-2013, 12:50 PM)CharliePrime Wrote: Before he died 20 years ago, my Grandfather laughed out loud when I told him I had to register my little flat-bottom fishing boat. My grandchildren will find the idea of posting to the internet anonymously equally laughable. Putting anything online will require I.D. and licensure just like driving a car does today.

Hence the need to push for freedom of information and online anonymity, and take the control away from the corporations and government, which should be serving the people - not the other way around.

09-26-2013, 02:31 PM,
(09-26-2013, 02:11 PM)thokling Wrote: Hence the need to push for freedom of information

Agreed. This is the primary reason I run Linux instead of Windows, even though Linux is more of pain in the butt.

Every user of open-source software adds slightly to the developers' willingness to keep developing it.

On my big office machine I was running Mint Debian Edition with XFCE desktop. The update yesterday completely wrecked my system. This afternoon I'm wiping Mint and installing Kubuntu after my data finishes backing off to my other machines.

I'll keep Debian Jessie with XFCE on my small machines because it's fast.
09-26-2013, 11:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2013, 11:29 PM by pax681.)
you think it just might be that even thought they subscribe.. they just might want to be able to watch without any of those fucking annoying adverts every fifteen minutes?
[Image: siolflag.gif]
09-27-2013, 12:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013, 12:17 PM by CharliePrime.)
Many people in the comments of that article said the same, and that they enjoyed the higher quality picture of torrented shows.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Australians Are Worst Pirates on the Planet CharliePrime 0 509 03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
Exclamation Stop Online Piracy Act created to kill OUR tracker might leave committee Thursday... h3rm35 3 1,405 01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  UK’s Terrifying Anti-Piracy Plans Leak plasticfan 3 1,164 11-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Internet piracy trial of the decade to begin drummer 0 675 02-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Last Post: drummer