Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft says Windows 8 is a Failure!
05-07-2013, 09:39 PM,

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/330c8b8e-b66b-11e2-93ba-00144feabdc0.html

Microsoft is preparing to reverse course over key elements of its Windows 8 operating system, marking one of the most prominent admissions of failure for a new mass-market consumer product since Coca-Cola’s New Coke fiasco nearly 30 years ago.

“Key aspects” of how the software is used will be changed when Microsoft releases an updated version of the operating system this year, Tami Reller, head of marketing and finance for the Windows business, said in an interview with the Financial Times. Referring to difficulties many users have had with mastering the software, she added: “The learning curve is definitely real.”

Analysts warned that changing course would be a significant admission of failure for Steve Ballmer, chief executive, who called the October launch of Windows 8 a “bet-the-company” moment as Microsoft sought to respond to the success of Apple’s iPad.

Windows 8 was an ambitious attempt to update the personal computer for the tablet era by moving to a new touchscreen interface based on colourful tiles, hiding the “desktop” launch screen familiar to white collar workers and consumers around the world.

The combination PC and tablet software was widely panned by reviewers and has been blamed by some analysts for worsening the slump in sales that has rocked the PC industry. Even before its launch, Tim Cook, chief executive of Apple, said Windows 8 would be like combining a toaster and a fridge – something that, while technically possible, was “probably not going to be pleasing to the user”.

Ms Reller refused to reveal details of the changes Microsoft would make to Windows 8. However, the clamour from reviewers has become overwhelming for a return to a more familiar PC interface. Ms Reller said PC users had faced difficulties adapting to the new software.

Pressure has been building for Windows 8 PCs to launch the familiar desktop view when turned on – and to bring back the “start” button featured in the lower left corner of the screen in previous releases.
"They scare us all with threats of war. So we forget just how bad things are." 'Open Your Eyes' - Lords Of The New Church 1981

05-07-2013, 11:32 PM,
RE: Microsoft says Windows 8 is a Failure!
LOL
It took them how many months to figure this out ?

Personally I hated Windows 8 about 10 minutes after installing the pre-release in a virtual box.
[Image: Signature2.gif]
05-08-2013, 12:18 AM,
I don't think they ever publicly admitted that Windows ME was a failure. I think they did say that Vista was 'misunderstood'.

All MSFT had to do was give people a choice what kind of desktop interface the people wanted and just have people switch to the one they wanted. The technology exists for that today, Linux gives people choices for desktops and GUI interfaces. Why couldn't Windows?
"They scare us all with threats of war. So we forget just how bad things are." 'Open Your Eyes' - Lords Of The New Church 1981

05-08-2013, 12:42 AM,
With windows you would need to add add ons as most everything is integrated within explorer.exe and the accompanying DLL files. It's still all customizable, but you have to work at it a bit as opposed to the simple drop in linux desktops.

I have a friend who recently bought a new computer pre loaded with 8 and the first thing he did was find an add on which brought back the start menu, Now he says he loves it.

If I could wrap my head around the linux filesystem I would probably run that instead of 7, but like they say, It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks < shrugs >. I do occasionally use live CDs ( Hiren and OPHCrack ) which are linux based for repairing screw ups on windows machines though, and I am now downloading the Caine4.0 live CD to hopefully recover data off a 16 Gb USB flash drive which is telling me to insert a disk when I try to access it. ( Lesson learned - NEVER rely on a flash drive to back up data )
05-08-2013, 01:56 AM,
I promise you that Windows is attempting to self destruct. Motive? You can control the application layer far better with Apple iCrap and it's controlled marketplace (iTunes Store - which takes 30% and prohibits certain apps from even being available) and for the typical user you will have more former Windoze people pushed to the to Apple than to the *nix.

Supporting evidence.

* Stupid TV Commercials
* Weak foray into Mobile, relative to Apple
* Viruses target PCs moreso, where do you think they are coming from?
* Windows 8
* Not really involved in targeting the youth by contracting with Schools and aiming their products at them unlike Apple
* Overpriced investments like Skype
* Windows and Apple are owned by the same shareholders
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
05-08-2013, 02:24 AM,
It must suck for Mr. Gates to watch his baby die ( in the consumer market anyway ).
I simply can not fathom big business just tossing their defacto standard.

Then again 20 years ago I could not fathom the US tossing the constitution, but that is for another topic.
05-08-2013, 02:29 AM,
There is an interesting "Slashdot" of this in detail with a lot of comments.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/05/06/0425258/microsofts-new-coke-moment

One of MANY candid comments at Slashdot

"So Ballmer better be ready and willing to suck it up and listen to the customers because i don't think they can survive two bombs in a row, i really don't. After all the OEMs have to have an OS that will move hardware and Win 8 is a giant DO NOT WANT when it comes to consumers. i mean for fucks sake they spent more than 2 BILLION on ads for Win 8 and got less than 4 million sales, and that was with them practically giving it away at a lousy $40! It should be obvious to everyone that his idea of turning Windows into a premium brand has failed, the Ultrabooks didn't sell for squat and the touchscreen laptops sold even less, so this is it, sink or swim time."

05-08-2013, 07:01 AM,
(05-08-2013, 02:24 AM)JFK Wrote: It must suck for Mr. Gates to watch his baby die ( in the consumer market anyway ).
I simply can not fathom big business just tossing their defacto standard.

Then again 20 years ago I could not fathom the US tossing the constitution, but that is for another topic.

Corporate entities are simply shells in a shell game. Microsoft is and has been used as a vessel to fund all sorts of projects from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to Apple Corp itself.

All you need to dupe the public into thinking that there is a semblance of a free market.. akin to Coke vs Pepsi.

Related: Microsoft vs. Apple Infographic Details Rivalry from Inception to Global Domination
http://concen.org/forum/thread-40793.html
05-08-2013, 05:57 PM,
I never got the iPod thing and people paying for iTunes, when you can get a good Mp3 player (that also does vids, FM radio, voice recodings in mp3 format, store pictures...) for much much cheaper, and all the free .mp3 songs you can get online?!

People prefer paying loads of money instead of free stuff... I just don't get it?!
Paix, Amour et Lumiere
05-08-2013, 11:22 PM,
(05-08-2013, 05:57 PM)Watchdog Wrote: People prefer paying loads of money instead of free stuff... I just don't get it?!

Apple stuff is easier to use. You don't have to go hunting down RSS feeds or torrents or move files around. You poke an icon and music shows up. That's worth money because people are lazy and/or stupid to learn to do it themselves.

Same with lawn sprinkler systems. I just returned from adjusting one for an old man who couldn't figure it out. Said I saved him $200.
05-09-2013, 05:54 AM,
One thing to note, other than programming a custom linux distribution, MS is the juggernaut of the corporate world.
They charge like 75 bucks per exchange account license(email account)... they'll be good.
05-09-2013, 06:11 AM,
(05-09-2013, 05:54 AM)psilocybin Wrote: One thing to note, other than programming a custom linux distribution, MS is the juggernaut of the corporate world.
They charge like 75 bucks per exchange account license(email account)... they'll be good.

Government and Corporate Contracts galore. It's amazing how much money these companies but it is what they teach in the Universities and Technical Schools but Apple is gaining ground over on that front a bit more now.

Whatever the case the conglomerate controls the technocratic gateways.
05-09-2013, 11:37 AM,
(05-09-2013, 06:11 AM)FastTadpole Wrote: Government and Corporate galore.

True. Microsoft is one of the largest military contractors in the world.

Any time you see a U.S. military command center on television, notice which OS they are running on their workstations.

Same with state and local governments, from massive, multi-billion dollar state agencies like Texas Health & Human Services down to the smallest city water department in Podunkville, North Dakota.
05-09-2013, 04:05 PM,
Microsoft also generously provide free vaccines to Africans who have week immune systems, thus weakening them even more, so that they can be diagnosed with Acquired immune deficiency syndrome and be given toxic pharmaceuticals that kill them. Bill Gates then gets awared generosity prizes!
Paix, Amour et Lumiere
05-15-2013, 09:56 PM,
Personally I think Windows Metro is absolute garbage and Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves. However, I'm very satisfied with Windows 8 as long as Start8 is installed. Bringing back the Windows 7 start menu is all it really needs. Plus a few registry tweaks and you never ever need to even be exposed to the Metro interface.

It's certainly frustrating that a paid-for 3rd party program and registry tweaks are necessary for me to have in order to have a usable interface....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing DNSCrypt on Windows 4cc 2 1,267 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Last Post: 4cc
  Clover: Windows Explorer with Tabs (freeware) thokling 0 667 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Last Post: thokling
  How NSA access was built into Windows BlackFerdy 2 1,060 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Last Post: fujiinn
Photo Microsoft vs. Apple Infographic Details Rivalry from Inception to Global Domination FastTadpole 0 729 06-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  New Critical Bug In All Current Windows Versions pax681 2 1,485 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Last Post: pax681
  Iconoclast icon stuck in windows media player Orwell63 5 2,917 11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Last Post: yeti
  Sick PCs should be banned from the net says Microsoft drummer 8 2,194 10-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Last Post: yeti
  Windows CE-based ATM's can easily be made to dole out $, security researcher says h3rm35 2 1,935 09-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Last Post: icosaface
Exclamation Highly Dangerous Zero-day Windows Trojan Targets Espionage h3rm35 2 948 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  It's official: Adobe Reader is world's most-exploited app - The new Microsoft h3rm35 0 697 03-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Last Post: h3rm35