Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSA to Remove Naked-Image Scanners From US Airports
01-19-2013, 04:32 PM,
TSA to Remove Naked-Image Scanners From US Airports
Quote:The Transportation Security Administration has announced that it will remove the controversial "naked image" body scanners from US airports because developers can't write software to make the images less revealing.

The scanners, made by OSI Systems Inc, have ruffled feathers since they were first rolled out. In a bid to quell controversy, the TSA looked to OSI to redesign software and make the scans less intrusive—but the company has failed to meet a congressional deadline to get the job done.

That means that the TSA will end the $5 million contract with OSI, reports Bloomberg. As a result, 174 of its Rapiscan units will disappear from US airports. Karen Shelton, from the TSA, explains:

"It became clear to TSA they would be unable to meet our timeline. As a result of that, we terminated the contract for the convenience of the government."

However, the scanners aren't on the way to the junk yard just yet. OSI has struck a deal with the TSA which will see the machines being used by multiple government agencies across the country. That does, at least, mean that it will be federal employees who have their genitals imaged, as opposed to the public.

The news will no doubt be embraced by the legion of protesters, outraged by the privacy implications of the naked body scanners. But save a thought for the poor TSA employees: how are they going to get their kicks now?

http://gizmodo.com/5976989/tsa-to-remove-naked+image-scanners-from-us-airports
01-19-2013, 04:42 PM,
RE: TSA to Remove Naked-Image Scanners From US Airports
Thats good news - lets hope it catches on in other countries
Remember you are unique
...just like everyone else.
01-19-2013, 07:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM by SiLVa.)
Great news!!
I was recently on a trip with a large group of family members, in which my Uncle and I convinced everyone in our group to Opt out of the scan. It was funny at 1st because the TSA overlords were kind of laughing that a couple of us wouldn't go in there and would have to be patted down and felt up. You should've seen their faces when they realized there was 20 of us. We got the last laugh when we held up the whole line and actually put these lazy bastards to work. Thing is, they were using a metal detector for some people and the xray scanner for others but the people that opted out were not asked to go thru the metal detector. So I asked the little TSA troll that was patting me down. "If this is about other passengers safety, when someone opts out of the scanner, whether u pat them down or not, why not put them through the metal detectors anyway?." He looked at me like I asked him a trigonometry question.
A long pause later his answer was "It's a good point, the logic is there, it's just not how they trained us to do it."
Undecided
"Listen to everyone, read everything, believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research"
~William Cooper

DTTNWO!
01-23-2013, 02:32 AM,
Simply put... Thank you!

(01-19-2013, 07:50 PM)SiLVa Wrote: "If this is about other passengers safety, when someone opts out of the scanner, whether u pat them down or not, why not put them through the metal detectors anyway?." He looked at me like I asked him a trigonometry question.
A long pause later his answer was "It's a good point, the logic is there, it's just not how they trained us to do it."
Undecided

You've got him thinking now! Good on ya!
Double-Win!
"Be seeing you!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tesco Face Scanners drummer 0 402 11-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Last Post: drummer
  New TSA scanners will be able to read EVERY molecule in your body & your food TriWooOx 0 359 10-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  Laser pat-down: Invisible scanners to secretly search people TriWooOx 0 496 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
  Airline passengers have 'no right' to refuse naked body scanners TriWooOx 8 2,253 02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Shopping centre admits to using 'Big Brother' scanners using mobile phone signals TriWooOx 2 835 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Last Post: rsol
  TSA: Airports Are Only the Beginning TriWooOx 0 436 01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
  Eyeswipe Nano - Iris Scanners drummer 2 1,404 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Deathaniel
  How to opt out of the TSA's naked body scanners at the airport h3rm35 1 834 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Last Post: dicktater
  Iris Scanners Create the Most Secure City in the World. Welcome, Big Brother Easy Skanking 0 575 08-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Body Scanners at JFK, Newark, LaGuardia Coming Soon April 2 818 08-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: April