Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pot Vs. Kettle: ¨Back Da Fuck Up Nigga! Dis My ´Hood!¨
06-19-2012, 11:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2012, 11:40 PM by h3rm35.)
Pot Vs. Kettle: ¨Back Da Fuck Up Nigga! Dis My ´Hood!¨
Pot to Kettle: ¨Back Da Fuck Up Nigga! Dis My ´Hood!¨

Schmuck Schumer (editorial insertion) to Apple, Google: 'Curb your spy planes'
'Military-grade' surveillance can see through windows

By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco

Posted in Applications, 19th June 2012 17:21 GMT

One week after Apple announced it was booting Google Maps from iOS [1] and photographing the world with its own aerial fleet, a top US Senator has written to both companies expressing concern over their "military-grade spy planes."

"Barbequing or sunbathing in your backyard shouldn't be a public event," said Senator Charles Schumer [2] (D-NY) in a statement [3] on Monday. "People should be free from the worry of some high-tech peeping Tom technology violating one's privacy when in your own home."

Schumer noted that although Google Maps and Google Earth have used satellite imagery in the past, "reports have suggested" that both Google and Apple have upgraded their capabilities to aircraft-based photography that can see through windows and capture detailed images with four-inch resolution.

Although Schumer specifically mentioned sunbathing – and we never even knew he was a Reg reader [4] – his remarks suggest that his main concern isn't high-flying voyeurism, but rather intelligence that could aid terroists and other miscreants.

"Detailed photographs could also provide criminals and terrorists with detailed views of sensitive utilities," he wrote to Apple CEO Tim Cook and Google CEO Larry Page, noting that although there are online sources which currently show such potential targets as power lines, substations, and reservoirs, those images are in low resolution.

"However," Schumer surmised, "if highly detailed images become available, criminals could create more complete schematic maps of the power and water grids in the United States. With the vast amount of infrastructure across the country, it would be impossible to secure every location."

Accordingly, Schumer has asked Apple and Google to "put protocols in place" to work with law enforcement and local governments to ensure that "sensitive infrastructure details" are blurred in images shared with the public – although exactly who would develop those protocols and who would define what's sensitive, Schumer leaves up to the parties involved.

As far as protections against having your barbecue or sunbathing session being violated by aerial snoops, Schumer has three additional suggestions: first, Apple and Google should inform communities when they are to be surveiled; second, they should give property owners the right to opt out of the aerial intrusion; and third, they should blur out images of individuals.

The first would give homegrown-ganja fans time to bring potted Mary Jane in from their patios, the second would stop building inspectors from discovering an illegal backyard shed, and the third would shield the aforementioned sunbather from further aerial embarassment.

As Schumer notes, "Google plans to have three-dimensional maps of areas covering the residences of over 300 million people by the end of this year," so his suggestions are timely – well, overdue, actually. However, from Apple and Google's point of view, they are also time-consuming, expensive, and just generally a pain in the posterior.

Schumer's suggestions are merely that: suggestions with no force of law. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out – but The Reg suggests that until further notice, you might do well to close your drapes and keep your eyes on the skies. ®
Links

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/11/ios_6/
http://www.schumer.senate.gov/
http://www.schumer.senate.gov/Newsroom/record.cfm?id=337036
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/21/google_sunbather/
Google: Censorship Requests 'Alarming'

BRUSSELS - Google has received more than 1,000 requests from authorities to take down content from its search results or YouTube video in the last six months of 2011, the company said on Monday, denouncing what it said was an alarming trend.

In its twice-yearly Transparency Report, the world's largest web search engine said the requests were aimed at having some 12,000 items overall removed, about a quarter more than during the first half of last year.

"Unfortunately, what we've seen over the past couple years has been troubling, and today is no different," Dorothy Chou, the search engine's senior policy analyst, said in a blogpost. "We hoped this was an aberration. But now we know it's not."

Many of those requests targeted political speech, keeping up a trend Google said it has noticed since it started releasing its Transparency Report in 2010.

"It's alarming not only because free expression is at risk, but because some of these requests come from countries you might not suspect — Western democracies not typically associated with censorship," said Chou.

In the second half of last year, Google complied with around 65 percent of court orders and 47 percent of informal requests to remove content, it said.

The censorship report offers an overview of which officials have asked Google to delete content and why.
In one case, Spanish regulators asked Google to remove 270 links to blogs and newspaper articles criticizing public figures, including mayors and public prosecutors.

So far Google has not complied. In March, Spain's highest court asked the European Court of Justice to examine whether requests by citizens to have content removed were lawful.

In some countries, Google says it has no choice but to submit to these requests, because certain types of political speech are unlawful.

In Germany, the company removes videos from YouTube with Nazi references because these are banned.
Chou said that in Thailand videos featuring the monarch with a seat over his head have been removed for insulting the monarchy. The country has some of the world's toughest "lese- majeste" laws.

In Canada, Google was asked by officials to get rid of a YouTube video showing a citizen urinating on his passport and flushing it down the toilet. But in that instance the company refused.

Google and many other online providers maintain that they cannot lawfully remove any content for which they are merely the host and not the producer, a principle enshrined in EU law on eCommerce since 2000.

In January 2012 the European Union's executive Commission announced it would introduce clearer guidelines on handling such requests, outlining under which circumstances it would be legal to have content removed from the Web and when it would curb free speech and fundamental rights.

The Commission has launched a public consultation called "a clean and open Internet" and has asked companies how many requests they get to take down content, from whom and for what reason.

Among examples of material that should be taken down EU regulators cite racist content, child abuse or spam. The rules are expected to be announced before the end of the year.

Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/19/google_youtube_youtubemp3/
Google blocks MP3 rippers from YouTube
YouTube-mp3.com calls for help from pirates supporters

By Iain Thomson in San Francisco

Posted in Music and Media, 19th June 2012 19:03 GMT

Websites that allow MP3 files to be recorded from YouTube are feeling the wrath of the Chocolate Factory, and popular ripping site YouTube-mp3 is calling foul.

"Google is accusing us to threaten your safety and wanted us to close this service. If we wouldn't comply they threatened to sue us," said no-last-name Philip on YouTube.mp3's blog [1]. "Unfortunately Google has just blocked all of our servers from accessing YouTube so we had to disable all conversion functionality."

Google is trying to criminalize the estimated 200 million people that use such services, Philip said, and pointed out that taking a recording in this way is legal in some countries. Google is also being hypocritical, he asserted, applying terms and conditions while digitizing books without the author's consent and borrowing headlines for Google News.

"We have always taken violations of our Terms of Service seriously," a YouTube spokesman told El Reg in an email, "and will continue to enforce these Terms of Service against sites that violate them."

A source familiar with the case said there was some surprise within Google that this issue had kicked off so publicly, although YouTube-mp3's public protest had obviously had an effect on the buzz. Google puts out plenty of these requests and has blocked services that strip out advertising from YouTbue in the past, and officially the company is saying that it's just business as usual.

But YouTube-mp3 and similar services are not new, so why the sudden crackdown? Google is certainly rolling out more persistent advertising on YouTube and could be looking to shut down anything that calls that into question. Advertisers are looking a lot more closely at internet traffic data these days, thanks in part to better BI tools, and there's downward pressure on rates.

There's also Hollywood to consider. The media moguls have learned to get along with YouTube, and now the service is looking to expand its access to films for sale as well as access to back-catalog material and the rights to stream live events [2].

YouTube-mp3 is calling for supporters and users to contact YouTube to express their concern, and Philip says: "If you are Larry Page or Sergey Brin: Contact me." ®
Links

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/help-us
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/27/youtube_gets_frontrow_downunder/

[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
06-20-2012, 03:44 PM,
RE: Pot Vs. Kettle: ¨Back Da Fuck Up Nigga! Dis My ´Hood!¨
lol, you know the saying...government hates competition.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research"
~William Cooper

DTTNWO!
06-20-2012, 04:00 PM,
yup, so does google. Feel free to post examples of blatant hypocircy here.

Shocking Censorship at Google News and the Future of Net Neutrality
[Image: google-censor.jpg]
By David DeGraw
The Public Record
Apr 8th, 2010

The recent federal court ruling in favor of censorship on the part of internet companies representing the interests of the Business Roundtable — Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and Time Warner — is a serious threat to the dissemination of critical information vital to the functioning of our democracy. The consolidation of media companies that has occurred in traditional media outlets, such as newspapers, radio and television, has led to the strategic dumbing down of the U.S. population.

Under tight control by the most powerful corporations on the planet, U.S. mainstream media has become an omnipresent propaganda system designed to divide, distract, confuse and create apathy among the U.S. populace. In the process, mainstream corporate controlled media has obscured, isolated and suppressed dissent and understanding of our present ruling class.

The internet has emerged as a vital countervailing force to powerful interests who seek to undermine the founding ideals of our country and further impoverish an unsuspecting middle class of hardworking Americans. Thanks to the tireless hard work of citizen journalists (bloggers) across the political spectrum, a growing number of American citizens have become informed and engaged to a level not seen since the pamphleteers enlightened the citizenry and sparked the first American Revolution.

Those of us who have spent many hours working on this — often very hard unpaid work, yet vital and rewarding — task of exposing corruption and abuse at the highest levels of power, must remain vigilant, and not be naïve to the growing forces of power who seek to silence our First Amendment rights by controlling the internet, just as they have controlled all previous mediums of mass communication.

I speak as someone who has already had firsthand experience in censorship. When we first created our news site AmpedStatus.com, we spent a considerable amount of time filling out a form requested by Google News, to get our news site listed in their search results. We carefully worded and submitted our information to meet Google’s requirements. However, after waiting several days, we received a form email stating that our request had been denied. Unlike Rupert Murdoch, who obviously has no understanding of how the internet works, I know it is vital to get listed on Google News. (Note to Stupert Murdoch: Not getting listed on Google News is like not having your newspapers displayed on newsstands.)

So right from the start, I knew my work at AmpedStatus would have a hard time reaching a wide audience due to Google’s rejection (censorship). We then decided to put much effort and our limited resources into Search Engine Optimization. At least we could maximize Google’s general search results. However, when I released my report “The Critical Unraveling of U.S. Society,” Google blocked it from appearing in their general search results. I wrote a brief post about Google censoring my report and tried to contact Google several times but never got a response. Thankfully, after I had submitted my emails of complaint and many other sites had picked up the report — well over a million people had read it — the report suddenly reappeared in their search results.

Knowing Google’s apparent desire to censor our work, I was thankful to have sites across the internet which were willing to publish them. A key ally in our attempts to overcome censorship is the news site, The Public Record. On a personal level, they have published all my recent reports. (How ironic that a site called The Public Record has come to our aid.)

Shocking Censorship at Google News

One of the great things about The Public Record is that it is listed in Google News search results. So, even though we were censored, we have been able to still get our work listed in this vital online newsstand. However, the powers-that-be at Google seem to have caught on to the fact that The Public Record is publishing our work. My latest report is the first report that The Public Record has ever had removed from Google News search results. This is obviously a case a selective censorship!

Jason Leopold, editor at large of The Public Record, writes:

“It appears that Google News has deprived the public of important information by censoring this story. This is the first time since Google News began carrying The Public Record that we have ever experienced a blackout on one of our articles. We have tried, unsuccessfully, to contact Google for an explanation. If this is in fact the case, if Google did indeed censor this story because of its subject matter, then Google has acted no different than the Chinese government.”

I have repeatedly reported, in detail, with ample evidence and supporting material/links to back up my claims, that the US government, tax system, economy, stock market and Federal Reserve have been ceased by an organized criminal operation that is tactically destroying middle class America. I am fully aware that these claims may sound extreme to Americans who have been subjected to the omnipresent mainstream media (propaganda) system. However, those of us who use the internet as our primary means of research and analysis know that the evidence supporting this claim is overwhelming and could be proven in court given the opportunity.

In fact, I believe that it is my clear presentation of this evidence that has led to Google’s censorship of this report. So for all of you who wonder what the internet may end up looking like when the Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and Time Warner (all members of the Business Roundtable) interests take it over, you need to only look at the actions of Google News in censoring my call for a movement to restore democracy and the rule of law.

When the Constitution of the United States was written, the FIRST AMENDMENT, not the second, third, fourth or fifth, but the FIRST AMENDMENT stated this:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

With this in mind, please consider reading the report that Google News has censored:

Is It Time for Law Abiding American Citizens to Stop Paying Their Taxes and Start a New Government?

Here is a screenshot of Google News search results censoring my report:
[Image: google-censors-degraw.jpg]
Shocking Censorship at Google News and the Future of Net Neutrality

David DeGraw is the founder and editor of AmpedStatus.com and director of MediaChannel.org. You can reach him at David@AmpedStatus.com.
06-23-2012, 01:36 AM,
If they hypocrisy wasn't apparent, The Register just published this late-to-the-draw wrap-up:

Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/22/quotw_ending_june_22/
'People should be free from Peeping Toms' snapping pics of them!
'No place for photo censorship in Argyll', though

By Brid-Aine Parnell

Posted in Cloud Business, 22nd June 2012 08:30 GMT

QuotW This was the week when a top US senator laid down the law [1] with Google and Apple over their Maps apps. Or actually, he didn't, he just laid down his suggestion that maybe having "military-grade spy planes" flying around snapping pics of the whole world was less than desirable.

He thundered:

Barbecuing or sunbathing in your backyard shouldn't be a public event. People should be free from the worry of some high-tech Peeping Tom technology violating one's [sic] privacy when in your [sic] own home.

It's a little bit late for Senator Charles Schumer to be concerned about how much of the world Google's eyes have already creeped over, but he says he's more worried now because of reports that the Chocolate Factory and Apple have upgraded their spying mapping capabilities. But neither Apple nor Google need to be bothered by the senator's comments yet, since they are just that: comments, with no force of law behind them. Still, must feel good to get that off his chest.

Google was also in the news this week when it issued its annual Transparency Report [2] on what kind of stuff it had been asked to take down off its sites and by whom. The web giant let us all know just how evil governments are, in sharp contrast of course to the Chocolate Factory-ness of Google itself.

The firm's senior policy analyst Dorothy Chou said:

Just like every other time before, we’ve been asked to take down political speech. It’s alarming not only because free expression is at risk, but because some of these requests come from countries you might not suspect — Western democracies not typically associated with censorship.

Over at Oracle, the executive VP of North American sales and consulting Keith Block showed that even the big boys fall into that trap of dissing the boss while at work [3].

HP outed the unfortunate Block, who had been rumoured to be on his way out Oracle's door, as being, er, fairly disgruntled when Larry Ellison brought Mark Hurd in to be co-president over him. He foolishly shared his unhappiness with the VP of human resources at Oracle, Anje Dodson, in an IM exchange that HP dumped online after Oracle leaked some internal HP documents.

Block said (restructured from IM format):

Here's the deal: this isn't HP. We bought a dog; it's all about exa. Asking reps to sell the dog is not a great thing. Mark wants us to sell the dog.

And speaking of Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, who bought an island [4] in Hawaii this week by the way, one of our more lyrically minded commentards was inspired to come up with this:

Larry, Larry, quite contrary,

How does your empire grow?

With IP "rights" and patent fights,

and lawyers all in a row.

Another man in tech this week who saw no need to sugarcoat his feelings was Linux daddy Linus Torvalds. He made no effort to hide [5] how he felt about NVIDIA during a Q&A after a presentation in Finland, when he said:

NVIDIA – f*** you.

The jibe came at the end of a diatribe against the GPU-maker, which doesn't offer support for Linux:

NVIDIA has been one of the worst trouble spots we have had with hardware manufacturers.

That is really sad because NVIDIA tries to sell chips into the Android market.

His expletive comment has been immortalised for all eternity by being captured on video and then, naturally, uploaded to YouTube.

Meanwhile, back in the good old USA, Apple was busily filing for patents [6] as it continues its efforts to take over the tech world, including one to "protect" fanbois from online smut.

The fruity firm reckons the best way to stop anyone knowing what you're doing online (ie, looking at porn) is to create a data clone of you that will go to websites about kittens and basket-weaving (no, not those niche porn sites, that would defeat the purpose, silly).

The patent application explained:

Actions may be defined that permit the cloning service to appear to be the principal [real person] and visit specific basket weaving websites, issue internet searches related to basket weaving, and the like. This activity by the cloning service may be picked up by an eavesdropper and may be used to generate a polluted profile about the principal that suggests the principal is interested in basket weaving, when in fact this is not the case.

And finally, the prize for the fastest backtrack of the year so far has to go to Argyll and Bute council, which banned a school dinner blog one day and then dropped the ban [7] and made it sound like it never wanted to stop the intrepid dinner-photographer the next.

NeverSeconds, a blog written by a nine-year-old schoolgirl, is plastered with pics of the pupil's school dinners – and the pint-sized kid's critiques of them, which are not always disparaging. However, as national media interest increased, the girl was sent to the head teacher's office and told she was no longer allowed to take the photos.

When her dad phoned the school to protest, the school said it was nothing to do with it, and that Argyll and Bute council had issued the ban.

For some unknown reason, Argyll and Bute councillors did not think that banning something for being popular in the press might lead to some negative attention, but that's exactly what happened, leaving the council head Roddy McCuish to issue the following statement the very next day:

There is no place for censorship in this council and never will be while I am leader.

Or in other words: "There is no place for censorship in this council after people have noticed we're censoring stuff and given us a load of negative press about it, causing us to give up on the plan for censorship we formulated just yesterday". ®
Links

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/19/schumer_suggestions_to_apple_google/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18/google_censorship_and_data_requests/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18/oracle_layoff_rumor/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/21/ellison_buys_island/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18/torvalds_curses_nvidia/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/19/apple_data_clone_patent/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/15/council_overturns_school_dinner_photo_ban/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Fuck the EU" ( European Union ) JFK 1 301 02-08-2014, 04:12 AM
Last Post: JFK
  Law enforcement chiefs strongly back new 'web snooping' powers TriWooOx 0 394 07-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  Target on your cyber back: DHS has a list of words deemed ‘suspicious’ h3rm35 0 348 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  MEPs back web search history plan TriWooOx 0 518 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  MEPs back contested telecoms plan DJOldskool 0 407 07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Last Post: DJOldskool
  Billboards That Look Back FlungPup 1 437 06-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Last Post: jack
  Big Brother Talks Back yassin 1 392 06-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Last Post: yassin