Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can't eat gold
05-26-2012, 04:20 PM,
You can't eat gold
You can’t eat gold

10:10 PM 0 comments
Thursday, April 05, 2012

In defence of paper money it has often been said to me, 'you can't eat gold or silver.' Of course you can counter with the fact that one cannot eat money either but the truth is that such people really have no understanding of what gold and silver really are.

The idea is that during an economy breakdown where food is scarce and costs are sky high it is useless to have gold or silver as you can’t eat it (in fact silver has very high ant-bacterial properties and so can be used to store water and milk for months at a time), and so will starve.

Every currency, however, that has existed without any backing has collapsed. Paper has no value and paper currency unbacked has no value as evidenced by the continued deterioration in value. 98 percent of all currencies only exist as digital currencies residing in banks.

Historically when there is a economic breakdown or collapse the value of the paper currency deteriorates down to near zero. Wheel barrels to cart paper money to by bread and potatoes or rice become the norm. This is something that those people who cry ‘you can’t eat gold or silver' have yet to understand.

And tracking back on that cycle, how much will you have to earn in order to buy that loaf of bred or handful of rice? The short answer is a lot! It is often mentioned that in Germany during WW11 that people were carting around millions of Deutsche Marks and, only recently in Zimbabwe, billions of Zimbabwean dollars exchanged hands for basic staples such as rice and the like until the Zimbabwean dollar was effectively abandoned on 12 April 2009. Now in Zimbabwe only foreign currencies are used as a result of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe legalizing the use of foreign currencies for transactions in January 2009. That currency just went down the gurgler.

No you can't eat gold or silver and you cannot eat paper money either. Incidently, it would not be advisable as paper money carries heaps of bacterial and one is very likely to get sick just from the contaminants quite apart from the ink, plastic etc contained within paper money. Gold on the other hand is used in surgery and medical procedures and silver is a known ant-bacterial agent.

When it comes to a choice between the two, gold and silver is the money to use. Something more and more states and institutions as well as private investors are beginning to realise. Paper, as we know loses value and would be effectively worthless in an economic collapse. Gold on the other hand retains its value and a single ounce of gold will buy today exactly what it bought in the 1930s or anytime before or after that date.

So when someone tells you, you can't eat gold or silver, simply point out to them that if and when the time comes, with gold and silver you will be able to actually BUY something to eat with it and right now is the time to buy gold and silver while it is still cheap.

Source:
http://buying-gold.goldprice.org/2012/04/you-cant-eat-gold.html
One of the first duties of the physician is to educate the masses not to take medicine...
William Osler
05-27-2012, 03:05 AM,
RE: You can't eat gold
On a financial basis, gold and silver are far more stable than paper. However, it is my belief that:

*Gold is to be used as a method to preserve wealth after preparing, as you cannot eat gold. Get seeds, guns, and all the other fun supplies before going for "precious" metals...
*"Precious" metals are only as precious as we give them value, thus making them fiat. An instance would be diamonds, which are about the most worthless shiny rock in existence. But, because people value it (and the DuPonts hide 90% of the supply), it is valuable. Another example is the paper we use, which faith is what keeps it afloat.
*In the end, anything can be used as money. Gold and silver came about because they fit all the qualities that money need, but they are not the only money. The Incans used cacao beans.

With that said, just imagine if no one valued gold or silver? It would be worthless. While food goes bad, it can never be considered worthless, as it is vital to life. Water keeps practically forever, and is even more required for life. Gold and silver are not needed for life, so it is less important. However, gold and silver are far better and far less able to be manipulated than paper.

Personally, though, I found the easiest way to tell people that for a silver dime you can still buy a gallon of gas. Let's see a paper-backed dime do that.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - Henry L. Mencken

I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie. I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant. - Henry L. Mencken
05-27-2012, 06:23 AM,
physical silver and metal-smithing elements are going to be the only ¨currency¨ that will have any value in the very near future, if they even have any and we´re still alive to gauge their value... you may not be able to eat iron in its natural form, but you can´t butcher a pig w/o a blade.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
05-27-2012, 02:31 PM,
I wonder who writes the articles for that blog, I find them really instructive.

Alright Anarchist, I see your point.

After preparing, that's logical and I agree with you. But history tells us that people gave everything for gold. Gold gives fever and madness and made people do weird things. Which means that if I only managed to exchange paper for real money, without preparing, it'll be better for me.

Backed-up paper is far better than nowadays currency but your bankers might vanish along with the real money in times of trouble, isn't that right!? It happened!

Backing-up the worthless paper by real money is good for the government not for me, having the metal in my hands is the only good thing for me.

So, back to the basics, let me have that metal in my hands and no bankers, no governments to trust. If they want to invest in something, they'll have to put in their own money, not mine.

Pax.

One of the first duties of the physician is to educate the masses not to take medicine...
William Osler
05-27-2012, 06:08 PM,
Don't get me wrong, gold and silver were almost universally recognised for the longest amount of time as money. They fit all the criteria for a proper currency, making them ideal. [I used to remember all the criteria, but sadly I forgot, and the internet is not helping... If someone could find them and post them I would be appreciative.] However, just because a currency does not fit the criteria, such as not being divisible into equal amounts, does not disqualify it. For instance, check out the Vanuatu Piggy Bank.

Personally, I like gold and silver, but in a time of crisis they will be equal to food and water in value. While not in a time of crisis, they are a great hedge against inflation, and wonderful for wealth preservation should a minor currency collapse happen. Personally, I would go with silver for a few reasons.
*The gold to silver ratio in nature should be about 1:10, as the earth produces 10x silver for gold. Currently as of this morning the ratio is 1:62. Thus silver is amazingly deflated currently, and being held at an artificial low.
*Silver is used in many technological products, such as iPods, cell phones (smart), and computers. Gold is used a bit in motherboards and items along those lines, but not to the extent silver is.
*Silver is less valuable. Let's see you try to trade with a 1 troy ounce gold coin for something worth, say, $50. Best get a good knife.
*Silver is antibacterial. With the right electrical set up (cost $50-100) one can buy distilled water and produce their own colloidal silver. Colloidal gold exists, too, but works for different reasons. If you made colloidal silver and stored it, it would be an extremely potent SHTF medicine, or just great for a simple scratch.

Also, currently, both silver and gold are commodities, and are not taxed (except sales tax, and maybe more taxes depending where you live). It is good for places where they try to tax the value of your bank at the end of the year.

Personally, my preferred method of storage is buried. I glued some ABS pipe together, dug a hole, and buried it deep. Good luck finding it with a metal detector, as there are small metal rods stuck in the ground every couple of feet. A lot safer than a bank, I think.

All in all, I agree that precious metals are important. I just wanted to point out that the only reason they have value is the fact that, like every other money, we give it value. Look at college degrees to see something of low-to-no value being highly valued. That, and like the title says, "you can't eat gold".
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - Henry L. Mencken

I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie. I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant. - Henry L. Mencken
05-27-2012, 08:06 PM,
Agreed.

Thank you for pointing out that silver is a lot more practical than gold. We always want to have small divisions of our cash when we find ourselves in insecure places. With gold, it's gonna be tricky.

Knowing how to live like a primitive man is essential for survival, self-sufficiency some would call it. John Seymour wrote a wonderful book on that subject, I'm sure you have it.
I put the link for those who want to download:

http://concen.org/tracker/torrents-details.php?id=25781&hit=1.

The majority of people don't know how to live without electricity, a fridge, etc.. Even with gold in their hands to trade things with, they would surely die in times of chaos because they don't know how to survive.

Pax.

William Osler
05-28-2012, 03:01 AM,
I agree. All I can say is, there is going to need to be a lot of gold to make me give up some bullets, or to give up a couple of jars of food when looking into the future. No one thinks of the nuclear plants. When SHTF and the power grid goes down, all those plants will not be able to operate, meaning radiation everywhere. Good luck growing that garden with the seeds you stole! If you ever get a chance, read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I sure bet their lives would be better with gold.

That aside, like I said, gold and silver are a universal trade medium though. They are limited (let's see a FRB print off gold coins), easily divisible, durable, portable, but with a growing population they are becoming impractical. For the preservation of wealth or when you simply do not need anything else for survival, get some silver. Maybe some gold, but I like silver, as I stated before. If anything else and it becomes worthless, just keep making colloidal silver.

In the end, there is only one way to truly preserve wealth, and that is knowledge. Without the knowledge to produce and create, we lose what we have. Skills are valued more than money for the simple fact that money cannot produce or create, but is a way to get people who know how to do such to provide for you. And that is why it is vital to be self sufficient and to know how to provide for yourself. Thanks for the link up there, believe it or not, I did not have that one. Note the past tense, thanks!

05-30-2012, 04:05 PM,
You're welcome!

It's been a long time since I stopped reading novels, but this one doesn't seem to be just a novel so I'll read it.

It makes me remember Mysterious Island by Verne. It's too long but I couldn't put it down till I finished it and it wasn't just a novel.
William Osler
05-30-2012, 05:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM by Negentropic.)
"Lest you forget the nature of money/i.e., that it is a ticket. For the govt. To issue it against any particular merchandise or metal, is merely to favour the owners of that metal and by just that much to betray the rest of the public. You can see that the bill here photod. has SERVED (I mean by the worn state of the note). Certificates of work done. That is what these notes were in fact / before the bank swine got the monopoly. Thus was the wilderness conquered for the sake of pork-barrelers who followed."

-- Ezra Pound - postcard to Franklin D. Roosevelt

"With James II’s accession, the crisis could not be long delayed. The most unscrupulous pamphleteering and propaganda was soon in full swing against him, and it is no surprise to find that many of the vilest pamphlets were actually printed in Holland. This country was now quite openly the focus for all disaffected persons; and considerable comings and goings took place during these years.

Stories were brought to the King that his own brother-in-law had joined those who plotted against him; but he utterly refused to credit them, or take any action till news came that the expedition against himself was actually under way.

The chief figure amongst those who deserted James at that crucial juncture was John Churchill, (Winston Churchill’s ancestor) first Duke of Marlborough. It is interesting to read in the Jewish Encyclopedia that this Duke for many years received not less than 6,000 pounds a year from the Dutch Jew Solomon Medina.

The real objective of the ‘Glorious Revolution,’ was achieved a few years later in 1694, when the Royal consent was given for the setting up of the ‘Bank of England,’ and the institution of the National Debt. This charter handed over to an anonymous committee the Royal prerogative of minting money; converted the basis of wealth to gold; and enabled the international money lenders to secure their loans on the taxes of the country, instead of the doubtful undertaking of some ruler or potentate which was all the security they could previously obtain.

From that time economic machinery was set in motion which ultimately reduced all wealth to the fictitious terms of gold which the Jews control; and drained away the life blood of the land, the real wealth which was the birthright of the British peoples.

The political and economic union of England and Scotland was shortly afterwards forced upon Scotland with wholesale corruption, and in defiance of formal protests from every county and borough. The main objects of the Union were to suppress the Royal Mint in Scotland, and to force upon her, too, responsibility for the ‘National Debt.’ The grip of the moneylender was now complete throughout Britain. The danger was that the members of the new joint Parliament would sooner or later, in the spirit of their ancestors, challenge this state of affairs.

To provide against this, therefore, the party system was now brought into being, frustrating true national reaction and enabling the wire-pullers to divide and rule; using their newly-established financial power to ensure that their own men and their own policies should secure the limelight, and sufficient support from their newspapers, pamphlets, and banking accounts to carry the day."

~ from The Nameless War by Captain Archibald Maule Ramsay

http://iamthewitness.com/books/Archibald.Maule.Ramsay/The.Nameless.War/00.Introduction.htm#Contents

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Image: 9rNwR.gif]

The Key - Collin Alexander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rml2TL5N8ds&;

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon (Full Movie) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBAuezmFNIk

Deanna Spingola Interview with Bart Sibrel of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon"

http://k004.kiwi6.com/hotlink/403ze98ykc/spingola_20120316.mp3

Astronauts Gone Wild -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tWqh7OuLWE

Last Days of the Big Lie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7tHB8tD34s

Michael Tsarion Archives

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1A96E0F13DE0202A&feature=plcp

Terence McKenna Archives

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9047054DC9FEBC85&feature=plcp

John Friend's Blog

http://mrfriendsblog.blogspot.com/

Mami - Freedom Monkey Radio Commercial Free Archives

http://grizzom.blogspot.com/

06-04-2012, 04:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012, 04:34 PM by CharliePrime.)
I have several thousand pre-65 U.S. silver coins and a few small bars of gold. IMO, everyone should.

However, if you want to live nice after a societal collapse, take the advice of actual people who actually lived through 20th century collapses in Argentina and Bosnia. Google "fer-fal".

They will tell you that disposable butane lighters and blister packs of analgesics will make you The Rich Guy Who Eats Well and Hires Guards in your neighborhood.

Money:
[Image: 41Oppj4mWAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Find a wholesaler and stock up on case quantities.
06-04-2012, 11:38 PM,
I´d get bic´s though - those crack lighters fall apart when you breathe on them.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Federal Reserve refused to allow Germans to see Gold CharliePrime 5 732 01-29-2014, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Watchdog
Thumbs Up Gold headed to $5,000 CharliePrime 0 390 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
  GOLD is a Barbeque Relish CharliePrime 1 507 09-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Anarchist
  South Carolina Approves Gold and Silver as Money April 0 457 04-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Last Post: April
  This gold bar is worth its weight in … tungsten — corruption knocks on every door icosaface 1 1,150 03-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Sovereignman
Question Deflation or Inflation? When Will the Price of Gold Plummet? FastTadpole 66 15,395 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Invasion of Libya was About Gaddafi’s Plan to Introduce Gold Dinar yeti 0 612 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Last Post: yeti
  Another stupid question. Is there a thread here about GOLD and Silver investments? Weyland 9 1,772 08-21-2011, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Hans Olo
  The Federal Reserve Is Selling Paper Gold and Buying Physical Gold Solve et Coagula 0 342 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Solve et Coagula
  Ron Paul: Full Audit Of US Gold Reserves, Aka The "Show Me The Tungsten" Bill Solve et Coagula 0 469 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Solve et Coagula