Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Server Bandwidth Overage Charges
05-15-2012, 08:10 AM,
Server Bandwidth Overage Charges
If you have any comments or questions about the current situation, post them in this thread.
[Image: randquote.png]
05-15-2012, 02:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2012, 03:37 PM by shuffle.)
RE: Server Bandwidth Overage Charges
Why not just cap the server bandwidth so it rounds off at the set amount you quoted each month? I'm sure people with understand if for a few days a month they have to rely purely on feeds from other peers and not the seedbox/server...

<Edit> - I re-read the bit about this being a temp temporary bill until the new unlimited system. So i guess its more about whether the 220 figure is an average amount raised per billing cycle.
"We are just glorified monkeys in suits.... show me where it's written we should be able to model the cosmos?!" -Terence McKenna, 21st Century Bard
R.I.P-ranks Terence. I miss your take on life.
=-=
05-15-2012, 05:11 PM,
(05-15-2012, 02:10 PM)shuffle Wrote: So i guess its more about whether the 220 figure is an average amount raised per billing cycle.

This is definitely the core issue. Currently it's $150 for 1TB or $220 (plus taxes) for unlimited. Last month we used 2.3TB

05-16-2012, 04:45 AM,
Yeah to the generous members who have contributed this month .. and any and every other month!

This was a scummy job of leechdom by our bandwidth hosts but thankfully an aberration so we won't have to pay the more than double normal fee again.
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
05-16-2012, 05:15 AM,
Donation made. Come on everybody get in there with at least $20 and we can build up a surplus for the coming months.
05-16-2012, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2012, 09:44 AM by crystal.)
creativity is our capital
joseph beuys said it
05-17-2012, 05:53 AM,
I just donated $30.. hope that helps!Clap
05-17-2012, 01:40 PM,
Thanks to all of you who have donated, many hands make light work.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
05-18-2012, 10:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012, 10:11 AM by sekular.)
Why don't you change to a cheaper hosting provider? I said this a few years ago when we discussing this very thing and i suggested using OVH because that is what i use without any problems.

I pay about £17 a month for a dedicated server with 5tb bandwidth and 100mbit and reasonable spec. This is the cheapest spec they have.

For the price you are paying you could get a beast 1gigabit box with all the trimmings.

So for £140 a month this is what you could get at ovh:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/eg_ssd_max.xml

Just as an example. But i would doubt you would need to spend so much on hosting this tracker. I would say this would be more than adequate.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/eg_best_of.xml

As said above if you are seeding from the tracker host then that would be a missuse of resources. Because a tracker host is not realy good for a seedbox. You should rent a secondary seedbox for cheap like i do for £17 a month and then reduce the cost of the hosting tracker by a significant amount. in my opinion.

May i ask yeti what is the current hosting package that you use, do you a have a link?
05-18-2012, 08:11 PM,
(05-18-2012, 10:04 AM)sekular Wrote: Why don't you change to a cheaper hosting provider?

Since I own the server I just rent rack space.

(05-18-2012, 10:04 AM)sekular Wrote: May i ask yeti what is the current hosting package that you use, do you a have a link?

It's not a hosting package; I rent rackspace and own the server. http://securedatabank.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=66 (2U Single Server @ 151 Front St.)
05-19-2012, 04:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 04:56 AM by stanzela.)
I may be a layman when it comes to the specifics of seeding/leeching, however, I'd be happy to suffer some speed-losses on my downloads from the site if it would relieve pressure (and thus reduce costs) for the management.
I assume that I don't stand alone when I say that it is the content itself, and not the speed in which I obtain it for which I am thankful for this site. I don't mind waiting for a couple of days for a torrent as I'm generally happy to be receiving said torrent in the first place, regardless of download time.
05-19-2012, 01:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM by Frank2.)
What I don't understand is, what part of the physical server belongs to yeti?

“The truth, of course, is that a billion falsehoods told a billion times by a billion people are still false.” Travis Walton
05-19-2012, 02:47 PM,
What part of the Physical Server belongs to Yeti, do people not understand?

"Since I own the server I just rent rack space." Yeti

The InfoUnderground
TiU Radio
http://www.TheInfoUnderground.com
05-19-2012, 03:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM by Frank2.)
ah ok, ty
“The truth, of course, is that a billion falsehoods told a billion times by a billion people are still false.” Travis Walton
05-19-2012, 04:50 PM,
Running a site as well as this one is run requires hands on daily maintenance. yeti does this year after year. He is dedicated to the task. We don't pay yeti for this and he doesn't ask for payment because he thinks that this site is important.

Ognir and Epinnoia have not donated any funds to the site, as far as I can tell, yet they have no hesitation telling all and sundry that the money is being mispent. We are talking about small amounts of money and as I am one of those who has donated money to this site I would like you non donators to know that I feel that the money has not been wasted.

Ognir used to be a Conspiracy Central admin back when ctrl owned the server. Ognir was banned from this site by ctrl. When ctrl couldn't handle the site anymore yeti stepped forward and offered his server and expertise so that all of this sites members could continue to try to evolve this cybernetic multi-mind. I think yeti lifted Ognirs ban.

Ognir and Hui Hi Quan, (not sure of the spelling), started their own site where they could carry on their research without restrictions. Hui Hi Quan left this site when he discovered that Ognir was doing shoddy research and would allow it to be posted as the truth. I know that happened because I was a member at the time.

As Frank2 points out, what has this got to do with understanding the hosting problem we are faced with. Nothing! I'm just pointing out that there is more going on here than meets the eye.

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Server Bill is DUE September 30th! (Thanks for the Donations) + We're Moving Hosts! yeti 31 5,687 09-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  SERVER WILL GO DOWN TODAY FOR MAINTENANCE! yeti 1 855 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Planned server maintenance... yeti 0 710 07-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Last Post: yeti
  Server Crash! yeti 0 742 04-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Last Post: yeti
  Forum Server Ognir 8 1,729 08-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Ognir