Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don’t Be Conned By The Resveratrol Scam
03-22-2012, 02:18 AM,
Don’t Be Conned By The Resveratrol Scam
Quote:Don’t Be Conned By The Resveratrol Scam
by Dr Raymond Peat

A year ago GlaxoSmithKline bought Sirtris, a company focusing on the biological effects of resveratrol, for $720,000,000. Harvard Medical School’s website, and broadcasts by Barbara Walters and Morley Safer have publicized resveratrol as a longevity-increasing drug, and millions of people are spending large amounts of money for resveratrol capsules.

The main claim being made about resveratrol is that it can mimic the anti-aging effects of calorie restriction, without having to restrict food consumption. This involves silencing genes, blocking their production of RNA and protein.

The mass media and some medical journals aren’t giving a balanced description of the biological effects of resveratrol, but many biologists are being influenced too, by the same simple arguments that the television reporters summarized. The academic biology culture, the medical culture, and the basic American culture itself, are all permeated by the idea of genetic determinism, so when a DNA molecule in yeast is identified as the “anti-aging gene,” and a molecule is found that activates it, that molecule, or something similar, seems to them clearly to be an anti-aging drug.

Part of the cultural framework that makes it easy to sell that idea is the old “rate of living” theory of aging, the idea that we have only so many heartbeats in a lifetime, that we can use only so many calories and so much oxygen in a lifetime, and that organisms with a low metabolic rate therefore live longer than those with a high metabolic rate. The rate of living theory is closely related to the “wear and tear” theory of aging, that our bodies are (except for our germ cells) made up of “post-mitotic cells,” unable to continue dividing once growth is complete, and so must die when those cells are “worn out.” By the middle of the 20th century, those ideas had been disproved in many ways, but in the 1960s Leonard Hayflick renewed for a time the doctrine of aging as the wearing out of unrenewable cells, with his doctrine that somatic cells (non-germ cells) have an absolute limit of 50 replications. Producing cloned animals from somatic cells, and the subsequent excitement about stem cells, made that theory obsolete (again).

Full Article: http://doctorsaredangerous.com/articles/dont_be_conned_by_the_resveratrol_scam.htm

[Edit: (previewed link with intro) FastTadpole March 22nd]
03-25-2012, 08:06 AM,
RE: Don’t Be Conned By The Resveratrol Scam
Nice find, RTO. Thanks for the insert, too, FT.

As a kid, I used to think that pills could solve almost anything, and those that couldn't would have a pill for them "soon." After some research as a young adult, I stopped taking medications of any sort except in cases of infection. Anesthetics are nasty, too, and I prefer biofeedback and hypnosis to get rid of pain. I've seen people addicted to medication, i.e. painkillers when painkillers aren't solving the problem that needs fixing, and actually vowed to never become so dependent. I enjoy three of the popular recreational drugs - at this point, I have enough dependencies as it is that I don't want to have to start classifying them as dependents.

Anti-aging isn't at all necessary in my books. One's dead when it's their time. It's The Law. Although that law might change if that global consciousness "great ascension" thing supposed to come by next year happens. Ten years ago, I might very well have met the parameters for ascension. Today, probably not. I'm pretty well fucked in that regard, I'm certain.

Which means more for me here in the physical while you lot get flipped off into the higher state. 'kin A.
Truth appears in many forms. Find those that resonate with you.

- "If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we do not believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky
- "Humans are not a rational animal, but a rationalizing one." - Leon Festinger

http://avaaz.org - The World In Action
03-25-2012, 06:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM by CharliePrime.)
It sounds plausible to me that scientists could find a way to 'turn off' the body's aging mechanism.

I don't believe medicine is anywhere near achieving that. If it were, we would see super-wealthy people living extraordinarily long, healthy lives.

I'm 45 and my skeleton is wrecked from decades of teaching self-defense (wrestling, kicking, body throws, punching). I am forced to take the pharmaceutical synthetic narcotic Tramadol. If I did not take it, I would not be able to mow my yard, repair cars, or wash dishes because of the pain those activities create in my knees, elbows, hands, feet, and back.

It's a terrible drug, a synthetic opiate. It killed my sex drive. I barely summon the energy to jerk off every three days. Actual sex is boring and way too much work. I never dream. I can't focus. I'm lethargic all the time. I'm certain my pineal gland is completely turned off.

But all those things are better than continuous, debilitating pain.
03-25-2012, 08:58 PM,
I have been taking Resveratrol for awhile now and I was shocked to learn about this. It took me awhile to find this article and it was on some obscure search. If anyone here buys supplements then you know how resveratrol is proclaimed to be the wonder pill. The reality is that alternative medicine is being controlled too. Part of the problem is money, greed, and deception.
I would have never looked into resveratrol having some negative effects because so many trusted companies sell it and say nothing bad about it. But I became skeptical after resveratrol was on the doctor oz show. The other problem with supplements is the claims on the cures/benefits are exxagrated. Not only that but the quality and quantity of these products are sometimes lacking.

CharliePrime if you want some good dreams check out Mucuna Dopa by source naturals for some L-DOPA. Some people say the supplement deer velvet has helped with their pain. I haven't tried it yet. I am going to try some shark cartledge. The opiates that you are taking might be destroying your reward part of your brain. Some people Like the product SAME. I haven't tried it. Maybe someone on here can help you that knows more than I do. But if have any qustions about any supplements just ask. I have tried a lot of them and know some of the better brands out there.

And Thokling. There's still time. IT is never to late. That is how I look at it. Try to make the change if you have the desire. I think sometimes and wish I did a little more that it is how you end that counts. So we might as well make it a good ending and try to improve ourselves
03-26-2012, 12:47 AM,
(03-25-2012, 06:39 PM)CharliePrime Wrote: It sounds plausible to me that scientists could find a way to 'turn off' the body's aging mechanism.

I don't believe medicine is anywhere near achieving that. If it were, we would see super-wealthy people living extraordinarily long, healthy lives.

I'm 45 and my skeleton is wrecked from decades of teaching self-defense (wrestling, kicking, body throws, punching). I am forced to take the pharmaceutical synthetic narcotic Tramadol. If I did not take it, I would not be able to mow my yard, repair cars, or wash dishes because of the pain those activities create in my knees, elbows, hands, feet, and back.

It's a terrible drug, a synthetic opiate. It killed my sex drive. I barely summon the energy to jerk off every three days. Actual sex is boring and way too much work. I never dream. I can't focus. I'm lethargic all the time. I'm certain my pineal gland is completely turned off.

But all those things are better than continuous, debilitating pain.

Time to switch over to medical MJ...

03-26-2012, 05:11 PM,
(03-25-2012, 08:58 PM)RaFTertheONE Wrote: CharliePrime if you want some good dreams check out Mucuna Dopa by source naturals for some L-DOPA.

I will look into it. Thank you.

(03-26-2012, 12:47 AM)psilocybin Wrote: Time to switch over to medical MJ...

Funny you should mention it. Last summer I moved to Los Angeles for several months. I drove my cousin to the MJ doctor to renew his MJ prescription. I couldn't get one because of my Texas driver's license.

About fifteen minutes ago I was sitting in my garage thinking about moving back out to California for a while.

I never smoke weed because it makes me super paranoid. Plus, in Texas we get thrown in the penitentiary for possessing it. That effect might dissipate if I smoked it regularly.
03-27-2012, 06:57 AM,
(03-26-2012, 05:11 PM)CharliePrime Wrote:
(03-25-2012, 08:58 PM)RaFTertheONE Wrote: CharliePrime if you want some good dreams check out Mucuna Dopa by source naturals for some L-DOPA.

I will look into it. Thank you.

(03-26-2012, 12:47 AM)psilocybin Wrote: Time to switch over to medical MJ...

Funny you should mention it. Last summer I moved to Los Angeles for several months. I drove my cousin to the MJ doctor to renew his MJ prescription. I couldn't get one because of my Texas driver's license.

About fifteen minutes ago I was sitting in my garage thinking about moving back out to California for a while.

I never smoke weed because it makes me super paranoid. Plus, in Texas we get thrown in the penitentiary for possessing it. That effect might dissipate if I smoked it regularly.

me super paranoid too. and a seizure once. true story.
03-27-2012, 05:44 PM,
(03-27-2012, 06:57 AM)RaFTertheONE Wrote: me super paranoid too. and a seizure once. true story.

I smoked weed every day, all day for four years when I lived in Austin, Texas in the early 80's.

I quit one day, just to be different. My friends laughed at me and called me a retard. I wanted to be the 'odd' guy who didn't toke. It helped get girls because this anomoly intrigued them. I stood out from the crowd.

A year later when I did a test smoke, I got super paranoid and had to go hide under the covers in my locked bedroom. Once per year since then I try it. Same effect.

I speculate that if smoked regularly, the paranoia would go away. I bet the same thing would happen with your epilepsy.
03-27-2012, 06:41 PM,
Little bit of thread drift but I dig the discussion.

Disclaimer: Everybody's different. I've heard about every single toke reaction and there is little rhyme or reason to it. This is only a synopsis of my personal experience and observation.

I had weed two or three times (5 tops), during high school, never in college - made me dumb and hungry, passed off 100s of tokes at parties and then, when I was ~23-25..

.. 9 years ago I went chronic for nine months then stone cold quit. During that time I was on my bender, my concentration was scattered and I needed dope to relax. When I was off of it I was either tired or hungry. That next joint was always in the back of my mind and I did a lot of clock watching at work. Programming was quite the task in that state so I spent a lot more time making things pretty, well not that pretty.

I'd fill a lot of my time in doing, what in retrospect were non-productive tasks. My place was a mess since chores were shoved aside. My cognitive skills were at an all time low. I was unproductive at work. I'd smoke three or four spliffies a day. It wasn't so much an addiction but a formed routine habit.

I have a puff about once every two years now. When I do the common pattern I exhibit is the initial whoah man! hit, followed by intermittent bouts of paranoia (which I didn't have when I was chronic) and rambling on in seeing something in a slightly different perspective, expressing and grasping at straws of deep insight only to have them slip away like trying to wrestle down a pig heavily lubricated with KY Jelly.

Leisurely sports like croquet seem to be a bit more interesting though even if my playing level drops off a few rungs.

I tried writing what I was thinking as a bit of an experiment a couple of times, when revisiting the text, it wasn't nearly as profound as I had thought it was when I was 'high'.

As an outside observer with insider perspective my theory/gut feeling is that creatives or even bud inspired rationals are familiar with the medium of 'high' and are deceived into thinking that there is an intrinsic benefit to state that augments their art, writing or whatever ability but it is, in reality, a comfortable crutch that has assimilated with their persona to form a dependence in some cases.

As an astute people watcher most I associate with that are borderline chronic display a noticeable streak of anxiety when they are not 'high' and have their thoughts divided in planning their next hoot session. End result is they are not entirely there when they are sober.

Many smokers often defend their position of SWED without really listening to me but I can tell they can relate and hear it echo in their thoughts in a sideways half glance into their eyes, at least on some level.

Maybe it's not just the bud either but a combination of what is in your smoke and in your environment; externally and internally; concrete and abstract; visible and invisible.

What I do after my experiment is that I'm a far better man sober. I won't stop working with my teenage son until he can real eyes the same about himself.