Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Most Relaxing Tune Ever",According to...Science?
02-13-2012, 01:11 AM,
The "Most Relaxing Tune Ever",According to...Science?
By SUMMER BERETSKY

Can science give us the perfect sleep-inducing song?

I’ve been a bit of an insomniac lately. Somewhere in the depths of 2 a.m. last night (or this morning?), I Googled “most relaxing song ever.”

And what did I expect to find? Well, a bunch of songs esteemed Most Relaxing by the court of popular opinion.

But instead, I found…science. Maybe.

From The Telegraph:

…the eight minute track [by Marconi Union], called Weightless, is so effective at inducing sleep it should not be listened to while driving.

Carefully arranged harmonies, rhythms and bass lines help to slow the heart rate, reduce blood pressure and lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.

Manchester trio Marconi Union worked with sound therapists to create the soothing tune, which also slows breathing and reduces brain activity.

Lyz Cooper, founder of the British Academy of Sound Therapy, says that the song’s rhythm begins at 60 beats per minute and then gradually falls to 50 by the end. She told The Telegraph that the song’s lack of melodic repetition quiets the brain from trying to predict a musical pattern.

While the song definitely has some subjectively relaxing qualities to it, I’m a bit wary of the research that’s labeled it as the “most relaxing tune ever.” When a spa company funds your research…well, eh, that sort of smells like a marketing gimmick to me. You can read the full article herehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8830066/Band-creates-the-most-relaxing-tune-ever.html and decide if any of the research is truly “scientific.”

But let’s put the science vs. pseudoscience debate aside for now. And let’s relax.

Scientists (and perhaps I mean that loosely) recommend that you avoid listening to this song while driving…so, if you’re driving, don’t listen to the song below.

Of course, if you’re driving and reading blogs at the same time, that’s clearly worse.

Anyway. Here it is:

Of course, music is subjective and it’s perfectly possible that slow ambient may increase anxiety for some people. I know it sounds silly, but it’s true. If you’ve ever had a panic attack on a massage table or at a spa, then you might negatively associate slow & droning music with your experience. (If that’s the case for you personally, what kind of music relaxes you?)

Top ten most relaxing tracks 1. Marconi Union - Weightless 2. Airstream - Electra 3. DJ Shah - Mellomaniac (Chill Out Mix) 4. Enya - Watermark 5. Coldplay - Strawberry Swing 6. Barcelona - Please Don't Go 7. All Saints - Pure Shores 8. AdelevSomeone Like You 9. Mozart - Canzonetta Sull'aria 10. Cafe Del Mar - We Can Fly
“Everything Popular Is Wrong” - Oscar Wilde
02-13-2012, 05:29 AM,
RE: The "Most Relaxing Tune Ever",According to...Science?
Pretty good but I like a lower tone.Try this let me know what you think.There are some highs too but most of it is lower like chanting monks

What kills me makes me stronger !

No favor asked no quarter given !

Your sitting in your comfort you don't believe I'm real,
You cannot buy protection from the way that I feel.

02-13-2012, 02:24 PM,
Marconi Union man! I've been listening to the track since first hearing this news at the end of last year. I rarely even consider posting such things here...

...that's changing Wink
"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." -- 1 John 2:6
"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly... This is the interrelated structure of reality." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." -- Proverbs 18:13
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -- Leo Tolstoy
"To love is to be vulnerable" -- C.S Lewis

The Kingdom of God is within you! -- Luke 17:20-21

https://duckduckgo.com/
02-13-2012, 05:44 PM,
Wow, that Marconi Union song is so effective, even the birds have stopped midflight!

I've sometimes found the best way to fall asleep is to be exhausted. At other times, the ol' noggin decides it wants to stay up and absorb data, and there's no fighting it. (Even with sleeping aids.)
Truth appears in many forms. Find those that resonate with you.

- "If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we do not believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky
- "Humans are not a rational animal, but a rationalizing one." - Leon Festinger

http://avaaz.org - The World In Action

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Rupert Sheldrake - The Science Delusion BANNED TED TALK drummer 14 1,785 06-17-2014, 05:21 AM
Last Post: R.R
  Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey - Science or Scientism? thokling 0 484 03-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Last Post: thokling
  Is science the new religion? hubbabubba 84 17,767 01-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Last Post: hubbabubba
  Recommended Reading for Science, Tech & Discoveries Easy Skanking 6 3,060 05-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Scientists Flock To "free Energy" Discovery Cycle of Eternity 9 1,884 06-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Nokturnal
  Reboot Your Brain? Science Says It's Possible mastermg 0 794 09-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Last Post: mastermg
  Popular Science The Future of.. FastTadpole 0 693 09-16-2009, 05:08 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Physicists Untangle Complicated Webs to Reveal that the World's Finances are Controlled by "Just a Few Mutual F B4Time 2 1,073 08-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Last Post: ---
  Science ponders 'zombie attack' Weyland 0 614 08-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Weyland
  Science and society: Attention and awareness in stage magic: turning tricks into research --- 0 811 05-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Last Post: ---