Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Diebold Voting System Has 'Delete' Button for Erasing Audit Logs
03-05-2009, 07:56 PM,
Quote:Report: Diebold Voting System Has 'Delete' Button for Erasing Audit Logs
By Kim Zetter March 03, 2009 | 7:30:17 PMCategories: E-Voting

After three months of investigation, California's secretary of state has released a report examining why a voting system made by Premier Election Solutions (formerly known as Diebold) lost about 200 ballots in Humboldt County during November's presidential election.

But the most startling information in the state's 13-page report (.pdf) is not why the system lost votes, which Wired.com previously covered in detail, but that some versions of Diebold's vote tabulation system, known as the Global Election Management System (Gems), include a button that allows someone to delete audit logs from the system.

Auditing logs are required under the federal voting-system guidelines, which are used to test and qualify voting systems for use in elections. The logs record changes and other events that occur on voting systems to ensure the integrity of elections and help determine what occurred in a system when something goes wrong.

"Deleting a log is something that you would only do in de-commissioning a system you're no longer using or perhaps in a testing scenario," said Princeton University computer scientist Ed Felten, who has studied voting systems extensively. "But in normal operation, the log should always be kept."

Rest of article here: http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/03/c...port-finds.html
03-06-2009, 01:02 AM,
on a related note: German supreme court ruled voting computers unconstitutional! "violates the principle of election transparency and is therefore unconstitutional."

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=6961
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Germany-b...090303-583.html
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discu...ress=203x512361

which is odd because in 2008 it allowed them
http://www.ccc.de/updates/2008/wahlcompute...sen?language=en
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM,
lol. Why do we even bother voting anymore?

In November, I used a Diebold machine to vote. I was actually pretty easy, kind of like playing a video game. lol

The thing is, so many people where having issues with the system because it would not let you just vote, you have to hit several confirmation screens; some after each office, and others after you complete the entire form. I personally saw several people get called back to the pole's by volunteers who noticed that they left their ballots up active on the screen, incomplete. In one case, some gruff retired guy refused to come back, and I saw the pole volunteer hit a few buttons to, what I assume, complete the ballot. But, how do I know that? Maybe she deleted it.

There were so many issues that the pole volunteers where quite literally hanging over the voters' shoulders to help them. I honestly did not see anything nefarious in their actions or activities, they were just being helpful, however, they were seeing every damn vote made. Hardly the way it is intended to work.

What really startled me was when I was voting, I went to the screen to cast a write-in for President. In this screen, you have to pick up a little stylus attached to the edge of the machine, kind of like you would use with a Palm Pilot. To may shock, one of the volunteers appeared behind my shoulder and asked, "Do you want to make a write in vote?" Ahhhhhhhh......... Yeah...... But I really didn't need any help. I politely told the volunteer, "Thanks, but I got it," and completed my ballot. However, as I was leaving the fire hall, I could not help but notice that some person rushing to check my machine, evidently to ensure that I did not "screw the whole damn election up."

I guess the question I have to ask is 1. Why were they watching me vote, and what did they see. 2. How many people felt pressured to vote a certain way because of their presence, and 3. Did my vote count at all.

03-06-2009, 03:08 PM,
> Why were they watching me vote, and what did they see. 2. How many people felt pressured to vote a certain way because of their presence, and 3. Did my vote count at all.

Good question to ask your public official in writing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Sandy Hook Report capnchronic 45 4,105 06-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Last Post: JFK
Bug State Says Adam Lanza's Toxicology Report Must Remain Secret CharliePrime 2 795 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Last Post: thokling
  Adrian Salbuchi Opens A Can of Mental Whup-Ass on the Corbett Report Negentropic 14 4,259 12-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Last Post: macfadden
  Mike Rivero interviews Bev Harris from Blackbox Voting yeti 0 452 06-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Last Post: yeti
  Global Spiritual Awakening to our Control System Beostein 3 882 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Beostein
  Preparing for the Collapse of the Petrodollar System Solve et Coagula 0 400 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Solve et Coagula
  Moscow and the formation of The New World System Solve et Coagula 1 408 02-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Last Post: thokling
  Diebold Leaks Election Results Early... Again Solve et Coagula 0 345 01-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Solve et Coagula
  Black Box Voting with Bev Harris - Voting Fraud in the 2012 Presidential Elections datars 2 851 01-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Last Post: capnchronic
  NY Times caught lying about Iran & IAEA Report on Civilian Nuclear Program icosaface 1 502 01-18-2012, 02:27 AM
Last Post: h3rm35