Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
50-watt lightbulb from a plastic bottle
11-04-2011, 12:31 AM,
50-watt lightbulb from a plastic bottle
The MyShelter Foundation is fitting bottle bulbs to homes in the Philippines -- it lights indoor spaces during daylight hours by refracting 55kW of light. Here's how to make one.

1. FILL THE BOTTLE

Fill a 1.5-litre clear bottle with purified water (unpurified water will turn green). Add three tablespoons of bleach. Screw the lid on and cover the bottle top to protect the cap from sunlight.

2. MAKE A HOLE

Make a hole in a 1m x 1m patch of sheet roofing material the size of the bottle's circumference. Insert bottle bottom down, leaving half to a third of the top part exposed to sunlight.

3. PLUG IT IN

Cut a bottle-sized hole in the roof of the structure and fix the bottle there. Seal the roof with a waterproof sealant. Now bathe in the refracted, glorious light of your bulb.

“Everything Popular Is Wrong” - Oscar Wilde
11-04-2011, 02:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2011, 02:09 AM by Easy Skanking.)
RE: 50-watt lightbulb from a plastic bottle
Cool.....but what if it's cloudy?
FAIL.
Screwy
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
11-04-2011, 03:31 AM,
Heh, file that along with the "solar powered flashlight"?

The notion that they were always outside getting fresh air, and now they can stay inside where it's nice and bright, is a sure sign of progress. Heck, they even have a chance to regularly update their Web site now. Come two years from now, we Westerners'll be relying on them for care aid packages when our respective countries have sold out and crashed entirely due to overabused economies.

All joking aside, it's a very cool idea. Good point, though, Skankin': how much light is refracted when it's cloudy?
Truth appears in many forms. Find those that resonate with you.

- "If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we do not believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky
- "Humans are not a rational animal, but a rationalizing one." - Leon Festinger

http://avaaz.org - The World In Action
11-04-2011, 12:10 PM,
Awesome!!

Im going to give it a Try and will let you posted at the end of the day!

I Was Born in a War & I Shall Die in a War

A Thug i am & A Thug Till am Gone
11-05-2011, 10:27 AM,
It's not a lightbulb, it's more like a small window that lets light in if it's bright outside. And people are getting all teary-eyed over this. What a joke.
11-05-2011, 12:44 PM,
they cant afford glass for a window. that means they don't have windows. they don't get the choice to have the entrance to their hovel facing south. high science on low tech. try living in a windowless shed.

They should get tin foil for the inside and put it on the ceiling surrounding the light.. that would add to the effect.

now if they can work out how to use bricks for a storage heater......
11-05-2011, 03:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2011, 03:35 PM by ToddTraf.)
This obviously can't be used in a cold environment. I thought about it in my shed. This morning was 10 degrees F. My shed light would have exploded. Is there such a thing as clear car windshield fluid or antifreeze?
11-05-2011, 06:39 PM,
(11-05-2011, 03:34 PM)ToddTraf Wrote: Is there such a thing as clear car windshield fluid or antifreeze?

Try pure alcohol.
[Image: randquote.png]
11-05-2011, 10:00 PM,
(11-05-2011, 06:39 PM)yeti Wrote:
(11-05-2011, 03:34 PM)ToddTraf Wrote: Is there such a thing as clear car windshield fluid or antifreeze?

Try pure alcohol.
Or salt water Wink
"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." -- 1 John 2:6
"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly... This is the interrelated structure of reality." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." -- Proverbs 18:13
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -- Leo Tolstoy
"To love is to be vulnerable" -- C.S Lewis

The Kingdom of God is within you! -- Luke 17:20-21

https://duckduckgo.com/
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM,
alcohol is probably the answer. Can get to -30F for about 2 weeks in the worst of winter here. I may also mount on a south wall rather than roof to avoid leakage or cover by snow.
11-06-2011, 12:56 AM,
Ah, of course if the temperatures are to go beyond -20F then even the highest concentration of salt water will start to freeze.
"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." -- 1 John 2:6
"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly... This is the interrelated structure of reality." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." -- Proverbs 18:13
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -- Leo Tolstoy

11-06-2011, 03:45 AM,
Crazy idea, but is there a polymer- or epoxy-like substance that would solidify when the bottle is filled, yet remain perfectly clear, and be based on ingredients found commonly in nature?
Truth appears in many forms. Find those that resonate with you.

- "If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we do not believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky
- "Humans are not a rational animal, but a rationalizing one." - Leon Festinger

http://avaaz.org - The World In Action
11-17-2011, 09:39 PM,
(11-06-2011, 03:45 AM)thokling Wrote: Crazy idea, but is there a polymer- or epoxy-like substance that would solidify when the bottle is filled, yet remain perfectly clear, and be based on ingredients found commonly in nature?

I sold art materials for years. Theres tons of materials that could be used as you suggest. (Think paperweight) Any of which could be cast in different shapes and you could forget about the soda bottle. None of them of course are "Natural". Pine pitch could be rendered and left to dry out but I've never seen it clear.
11-17-2011, 11:21 PM,
I initially thought, hey, those planet loving "Orgonite warriors" use such a thing don't they? Turns out the stuff is a toxic as any other resin in the mainstream market. And those of that persuasion who do give a crap about using such resins go for pine, which of course doesn't set clear.

What should also be considered is other fillings will not refract light in quite the same way, and may not be anywhere near as superior as a result. I am not 100% on the science behind that though, maybe someone else can expand (or contract of course) on this?

05-23-2013, 10:35 PM,
This is one of the coolest things I have found in A wail thank you OP.