Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aspartame Scare Just Another Hoax?
03-20-2009, 12:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM by nietzscheansuperman.)
I was in my doctors office recently reading a book that claimed to debunk myths, one of them was the "myth" that aspartame causes countless diseases. In this book it states that this "myth" started from a chain email that was just a hoax but has continued on to this day, (it goes on to state the womans name who sent the email, etc).

I looked it up and found lots of info stating that the aspartame scare was just a hoax and it's believers idiots but can't find any SOLID evidence to support the argument to the contrary.. don't get me wrong, I have seen sweet misery and a whole host of other stuff about this topic but I know better than to label that "SOLID" evidence or proof of anything... cause it's not! It is second hand circumstantial evidence and theory at best (unless I missed something) and I have read some of the threads here about aspartame but I am still waiting for some solid evidence (ie: detailed scientific studies conducted by reputable people), can anyone provide me with this information if it actually exists? Thanks. (if not I suppose the conspiracy nuts had better just STFU about it!) I know about the supposed Rumsfeld link, etc too BTW, that's still not proof of it's supposed harmful effects.

Oh look.. I found part of the original "hoax" email... http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoa...=ASPARTAME+HOAX

BTW, you might want to check out these links too..

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/9-1-2006-107386.asp

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forum/f..._comments/1747/

http://urbanlegends.about.combrary/blasp.htm

http://www.aspartame.org/

http://www.acsh.org/healthissues/newsID.26...ssue_detail.asp

Fuck.. I could go on for ever posting articles that claim that this is all a big hoax, if you want more I will gladly dig them up for you.

I looked into some of these doctors who are claiming aspartame is evil and well.. lets just say their credibility levels could be higher... many if not all of them are often labeled as Quacks, this article recently posted by mister mg for example is by a woman who apparently received her PHD from an uncertified school (probably one of those order off the internet PHD's). I found articles like these in their defense http://newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd42.htm http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_no_hoax.htm but I'm still not overly confident in the work of people like Betty Martini, James D. Bowen, Russell Blaylock, HJ Roberts, John Olney, Ralph Walton, etc. To be honest, I have my suspicions about aspartame but want to be able to back them up with FACTS so can I have some real evidence please?
03-20-2009, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM by nietzscheansuperman.)
In the pinned thread at the top of this section I found these quotes, I would like to see the studies to back these up if anyone has the time to chase up 'Dr Martini'"

"Two NEW STUDIES ON ASPARTAME and diet drinks confirm source of obesity, cancer epidemics. Neurosurgeon says BAN it from Schools!"

"Studies on aspartame safety have shown that the product increases tumors throughout numerous organs, especially the brain. It was shown that brain tumor incidence increased over 47 times in animals exposed to aspartame."

"The Cancer Research Center of the European Foundation of Oncology and Environmental Sciences in Bologna, Italy reported this week that a long-term study to evaluate the potential carcinogenic effects of aspartame demonstrates the chemical sweetener "induces an increase in lymphomas and leukemias in female rats."

"This study confirmed the previous study by Dr. Trocho and co-workers, which also found the formaldehyde breakdown product of aspartame to be damaging to cellular DNA and that this damage was accumulative. The type of damage was a duplicate of that associated with cancers."

Etc, etc,

EDIT: Don't bother chasing up the study that she quotes which she claims supports the fact (?) that women who drink diet soft drinks are more likely to be obese.. cause as far as I'm concerned the reason they are drinking diet soft drinks is probably cause they are a bunch of fat heffers to begin with. Sounds like bad science and doesn't really prove much IMO, I'm more interested in the "47 times increase in brain tumors in animals exposed to aspartame".
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM,
yes and also cancer is a hoax aswell. and aids and everything. Aspartame doesn't CAUSE disease. It allows for them to propagate more easily.

label all doctors quacks then. I suggest you could put this argument the other way. What evidence do you have to suggest it is safe? Thats actually more important. I know cases of ppl who eat glass. that doesn't say its ok to eat glass.

Most of the evidence accumulated over the years have been anecdotal. This is more trusted by me than FDA rubber stamping.

What do these people have to gain from this? for and against?
03-20-2009, 01:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2009, 03:03 PM by nietzscheansuperman.)
Well for example.. book sales...

The burden is not on me to prove that it is safe, the burden of proof is on the ones making the claims to the contrary!! (you know that Nik, why say such silly things?)
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM,
As suspected it seems some of the science (eg: Olney) quoted by many aspartame scare mongers/conspiracy nuts may be bad science after all (not surprising) http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/risk/aspartame

As for the list of side effects that were supposedly submitted to the FDA by The Department of Health and Human Services, they are no worse than that of sugar and here's what they have to say about the cancer risk http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/9/1654

Related reading: http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte...ract/15/10/1460
03-20-2009, 03:18 PM,
Put it to the test nsm... go buy a box or two of sweet-n-lo and munch it down... let us know how you feel a day later.
03-20-2009, 03:24 PM,
He he.. nah... I don't trust the stuff, I'm not that stupid;)
03-20-2009, 06:23 PM,
First of all I'd like to know why somebody would voluntarily eat a chemical sweetener. There's sugar, honey, fruits, if you like sweet there's a whole lot available to you. But, no, it has to be chemicals. I don't understand why. Our body was not designed to deal with chemicals. If you drink need to drink 20 cans of diet soda a day, go for it. I'm not holding anyone back.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:Forty percent of aspartame by mass is broken down into aspartic acid (aspartate), an amino acid. At high concentrations, aspartate can act as an excitotoxin

Undefined term, "high concentrations". Is 20 cans of diet soda "high concentration"? And if it is toxic, it's not only toxic in high concentrations. It's toxic, period. What they meant to say is, IT IS TOXIC so don't take to much of it OR IT DAMAGES YOU.

Quote:inflicting damage on brain and nerve cells, but aspartate does not normally cross the blood-brain barrier

Undefined term, "normally". So, the dangerous aspartate DOES cross the blood-brain barrier, but that's not normal, is that what they're saying?

Quote:in most parts of the brain

"In MOST parts of the brains.." so it's only toxic in SOME parts of the brain? How reassuring. I thought it was toxic to all parts of the brain. Now that would be bad. But some parts of the brain? That's OK.

Quote:Increases in blood plasma levels of aspartic acid after ingestion of aspartame are insufficient to cause concern for human subjects researchers.

So you mean to say, it is dangerous and raises blood plasma levels, but human subjects researchers are "not concerned". Why? Because it's harmless or because they say to themselves "I don't take aspartame, so I don't care"?

There's half a dozen weasle phrases in only a couple paragraphs of Wikipedia text. Sucks.
03-20-2009, 06:36 PM,
Actually the burden of proof to show that it is safe is supposed to rest with the company that is providing the product, not the other way around.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
03-20-2009, 07:53 PM,
Quote:He he.. nah... I don't trust the stuff, I'm not that stupid;)

fucking lol..

You post this topic then write that.

This is all I need to know to not ingest this stuff:
Quote:Upon ingestion, aspartame breaks down into natural residual components, including aspartic acid, phenylalanine, methanol, and further breakdown products including formaldehyde,<sup>[18]</sup> formic acid, and a diketopiperazine.
03-20-2009, 08:22 PM,
Here you could find some scientific explanations http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
03-21-2009, 12:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2009, 01:49 AM by ---.)
Quote:Well for example.. book sales...

The burden is not on me to prove that it is safe, the burden of proof is on the ones making the claims to the contrary!! (you know that Nik, why say such silly things?)

Put your reading glasses on, NSM - I haven't even posted in this thread until now. What's with the eagerness to claim I say 'silly things' ?
03-21-2009, 01:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2009, 01:44 AM by ---.)
Quote:
Quote:He he.. nah... I don't trust the stuff, I'm not that stupid;)

fucking lol..

You post this topic then write that.

My thoughts exactly :rolleyes:
03-21-2009, 03:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2009, 04:05 AM by nietzscheansuperman.)
Hmmm.. lot of shit talk as expected... but still no evidence, Hans Olo came closest but his still a long way off, sorry no cigar Hans. Here on this forum we have people who claim that aspartame is responsible for brain tumours and other cancers but they can't back it up with real science, have you noticed that nobody here has shown real, properly conducted studies that prove or even provide solid evidence to back up their claims? Yet I have provided links to large in depth studies that suggest that it is not carcinogenic..

Nik you asked me to prove that it was safe and even though I said the burden of proof does not rest with me (which it doesn't) I have provided some VERY solid evidence to suggest that aspartame does not cause cancer, etc and that the fear mongering conspiracy nuts who say that it does are full of shit (again), so there you go.. can you provide any respectable evidence to the contrary?

The burden of proof lies with the company who sells it to some extent and according to the FDA they have sufficiently proved it, aspartame is one of the most heavily studied foods in history!!

If I say that oranges cause cancer it is up to me to provide some evidence to support this, if not I should rightly be dismissed as a shit talking idiot!

Mr mg, did you read my previous posts about that woman? From what I have read, her PHD is not accredited!! She's nothing but a quack.. I could order a PHD off the net and talk shit too, doesn't make it the truth!

And the list of side effects does not contain cancer.. I have provided a link to a study conducted by the same organisation that she quotes which according to them proves that there is no cancer risk. The side effects listed are the same as many other food additives and are not experienced by all who consume it, they are no worse than sugar IMO..

For the record, I don't eat aspartame or refined sugar and try to avoid anything that has been man made or adulterated in any way shape or form.. I believe that there are some potentially nasty side effects associated with aspartame, but no more so than countless other similar substances on the market and certainly not as serious as the fear mongering tin foil hat crew would have us believe.. Let them provide their evidence or STFU once and for all!!
03-21-2009, 04:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2009, 04:20 AM by ---.)
Quote:Nik you asked me to prove that it was safe and even though I said the burden of proof does not rest with me (which it doesn't) I have provided some VERY solid evidence to suggest that aspartame does not cause cancer, etc and that the fear mongering conspiracy nuts who say that it does are full of shit (again), so there you go.. can you provide any respectable evidence to the contrary?

:LOL:wow, even when politely tell you I haven't even posted in this thread until you dragged me into it, you still don't cotton on. way to go with the brainpower. btw - I didn't say anything of the kind - tell you what - You PROVE to me where I said it... haha

"I have provided VERY solid evidence..blah blah" - yeah bro, trust your mechanic :rolleyes:seems to me that if something has a stamp of officialdom on it, that's all it takes for you to rant on that it's incontrovertible truth - meanwhile being arrogant and rude to as many as you can here along the way. pretty damn pathetic NSM

Quote:Hmmm.. lot of shit talk as expected... but still no evidence, Hans Olo came closest but his still a long way off, sorry no cigar Hans

wtf are you - an elementary school teacher? I guess you didn't manage to read what psilo posted

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skepdic on Russel Blaylock, vaccinations, fluoride, aluminium, aspartame.. bristopen 0 364 03-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Last Post: bristopen
Exclamation Secret government documents reveal vaccines to be a total hoax Easy Skanking 6 898 01-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Last Post: jarevfra
  Fluoride and Aspartame wokensheep 45 16,843 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Aspartame Side Effects mastermg 15 5,648 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM
  Rats Grow Super Tumors on Aspartame Yakhont26 4 999 08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Last Post: nik
  'Dishonest and irresponsible': Doctor who triggered MMR vaccine scare is struck off TriWooOx 3 1,642 05-25-2010, 07:00 PM
  VIDEO: The Man Made Global Warming Hoax, by We Are Change h3rm35 0 478 04-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
Information Aspartame has been renamed and is now AminoSweet joeblow 0 419 02-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Last Post: joeblow
  Time for next eco-scare already?! FastTadpole 6 1,229 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Last Post: EvilMaster
  Drug firms cashed in on scare over swine flu, claims Euro health chief TriWooOx 0 425 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx