Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.29 Average
Let's purchase a workstation for yeti
07-27-2011, 07:21 AM,
Let's purchase a workstation for yeti
Yeti needs a workstation

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of yeti's workstation (helga). She was undergoing a massive transplant operation when her chips were cashed out. It was a relatively painless death for her but yeti was devastated and ripped out massive swatches of fur which he flung all over the internet. Once his grief had subsided to the point where he could be consoled we discovered that the best consolation would be to provide him with a new console to consort with.

Seriously though, yeti does need a new work station and he is unemployed and living on a shoestring at present. He provides the server for our use, (as well as systems analysis, programming and troubleshooting services), for free. I think that we should provide him with what he needs so that he can continue to provide us with excellent services.

We have over 39,000 members at present. If those who can afford to, give a little or a lot then we should be able to raise enough cash to purchase a state of the art work station for him. I will start the ball rolling by putting $80 into the pot which is what I can afford to give at present. What ever you can afford to give will be greatly appreciated, it all adds up.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
07-27-2011, 07:45 AM,
RE: Let's purchase a workstation for yeti
I believe in the idea of pay it forward. If you guys do this for me, I promise that I will take ConCen to the next level with the following features:
  • wiki
  • chat
  • quotation database
  • political cartoon/art/image gallery
  • political music lyric database
  • polls, questionnaires, etc.*
Members of good standing will be able to contribute material to all of the above. Any other suggestions by you guys are welcome. I believe when the above is in place, ConCen will take off like a rocket!

BTW, we're already in the top 75,000 sites in the world according to Alexa!
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/concen.org#
Traffic has grown 35% in the last three months too! Not bad for a site with no advertising whatsoever!

I know I've been making a lot of promises about some of these changes, but really dragging my feet on following through. If the members step up big time, I'll have a fire under my furry ass to go full bore on getting this done.

BTW, what kind of workstation does $2000 buy, anyway? Quite simply, an ass-kicker! It would be an i7 with 24GB RAM, dual RAID 1 hard drives (for the ConCen backup) and dual monitors. A machine like this would enable me to run several virtual operating systems (including MacOS) simultaneously with multiple browsers. This way I can code the site with the confidence that every OS and browser will render the pages as expected. Some of you may have noticed weird bugs cropping up that I didn't notice because I run only FF in linux - I don't even have a windows box.

*The idea is to ask a series of questions all of which are based on the answer to your previous question. It could be used as a great tool to wake people up.

For instance, what about a questionnaire that asked important questions about 9/11, or banking, or terrorism? It might actually wake someone up, but at the least It would at least more people would join the site and think a little more about what they really know about the world around them...
[Image: randquote.png]
07-27-2011, 09:35 AM,
Quite a few of us have been aware of Yeti's computer/financial situation for some time now. Umm

IMO, this isn't even for Tom, but for all of us!
We've been chatting about these additions to the site for months in the back room. Nuts The wiki is already underway....

I promised to match Icosa. Ok The history of ConCen has been priceless to me... and I'd invest in it's future in a heartbeat! Ship maintenance baby... only wish I could give more! Icon_cool

07-27-2011, 11:08 AM,

I'm game but it's the worst time for making donations. This month is my birthday and that is usually expensive.

I'll send at least 25$.

Is there a special account for the yeti enterprise or is it all going to the same place.

For instance, How can we know that the pretty pieces of paper go straight to that and not for a lap dance or two? :lol:

07-27-2011, 11:17 AM,
(07-27-2011, 11:08 AM)zapoper Wrote: I'm game but it's the worst time for making donations. This month is my birthday and that is usually expensive.

I'll send at least 25$.

Is there a special account for the yeti enterprise or is it all going to the same place.

For instance, How can we know that the pretty pieces of paper go straight to that and not for a lap dance or two? :lol:

No risk of spending it on lap dances - when women see me they always run away screaming and holding their crotches.

To answer your question, it ultimately goes to the site's PayPal, but there is a separate monitor for the computer fund. I'll be setting up a page which will track the donations separately from the regular.

Thanks for the donations zapoper. You've been very generous, both with your funds and the WhatReallyHappened archive. Speaking of which, you should add that link to your signature...
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM,
Man! You make it seem like if you're ugly like this guy. :lol:
07-27-2011, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2011, 11:00 PM by Mami.)
[Image: 727201155806.jpg]
07-27-2011, 11:20 PM,
Mami, where did you get that surveillance photo? LOL
07-27-2011, 11:39 PM,
(07-27-2011, 10:51 PM)Mami Wrote: [Image: 727201155806.jpg]
"yeti's netbook is just getting Concen by, the server is safe though, that's buried close by to keep the raccoons out".
"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." -- 1 John 2:6
"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly... This is the interrelated structure of reality." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." -- Proverbs 18:13
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -- Leo Tolstoy
"To love is to be vulnerable" -- C.S Lewis

The Kingdom of God is within you! -- Luke 17:20-21

https://duckduckgo.com/
07-28-2011, 01:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2011, 01:12 AM by Mami.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CRYmcun3tc

07-28-2011, 03:34 AM,
Interesting short vid Mami.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
07-28-2011, 05:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM by zapoper.)
Ends August 31st? Shouldn't it end when you have reached 2000$? What if you get more or less money until the 31st?

Will you make a short video of the make and model of your new workstation so that paranoid people will know that the money was spent on it and not other things? proof of purchase etc...?

It could help raise funds if you guarantee proof of purchase.

07-28-2011, 05:43 AM,
You can itemize a workstation for less and people will be more apt to donate if they see exact costs
07-28-2011, 07:19 AM,
I certainly will provide proof of purchase. I will be building the workstation myself out of the guts of my old one plus the new parts which I can use.

If anyone can find these specs for under the price, great:

Intel i7 with 4+ cores
24GB RAM
nVidia GTX 560 or better video card with dual DVI
2x 1TB+ SATAIII hard drives
2x 1920x1080 LCD monitors
DVD9 burner
good quality motherboard compatible with the above parts
Windows 7
MacOS (can be put on as a hackintosh) (might have to hack a licence)

It has to be deliverable to Ottawa Ontario Canada
07-28-2011, 05:28 PM,
(07-28-2011, 05:26 AM)zapoper Wrote: Ends August 31st? Shouldn't it end when you have reached 2000$?

Good points. If we reach the goal before the 31st, maybe we could end the drive early, and if we fall short before the time is up... maybe we can extend it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To all those who donated to the yeti computer fund... yeti 6 1,263 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Last Post: thokling