Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Government: Nearly Four In Ten Admitted To Treatment For Marijuana Haven't Used Pot
03-27-2009, 03:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-30-2010, 12:42 AM by Easy Skanking.)
US Government: Nearly Four In Ten Admitted To Treatment For Marijuana Haven't Used Pot
Quote:Rockville, MD: Nearly four in ten individuals admitted to substance abuse treatment programs for cannabis have not used the drug in the month prior to their admission, according to data provided by the US Department of Health and Human Services.

According to federal figures, over 37 percent of the estimated 288,000 thousand people who entered drug treatment for pot in 2007 had not reported using it in the 30 days previous to their admission. Another 16 percent of those admitted said that they'd used marijuana three times or fewer in the month prior to their admission.

Commenting on the statistics, NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said: "These statistics make it clear that it is not marijuana use per se that is driving these treatment admission rates; it is marijuana prohibition that is primarily responsible. These people for the most part are not 'addicts' in any true sense of the word. Rather, they are ordinary Americans who have experienced the misfortune of being busted for marijuana who are forced to choose between rehab or jail."

According to state and national statistics, between 60 percent and 70 percent of individuals enrolled in substance abuse 'treatment' for cannabis are referred there by the criminal justice system.

By contrast, fewer than 15 percent of marijuana treatment admissions are voluntary.

For more information, please contact Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director, at (202) 483-5500 or Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the report, "Highlights of the 2007 Treatment Episode Data Sets," is available online at: http://oas.samhsa.gov/TEDS2k7highlights/TOC.cfm.
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
03-27-2009, 04:30 AM,
US Government: Nearly Four In Ten Admitted To "Treatment" For Marijuana Haven't Used Pot
Good find. They have a way of making money from it keeping it illegial, plus they can't obtain the benefits from pot like they do keeping alcohol legal. Depression, liver failure, acidic body, spouse abuse, wrecks, fights, dependance, etc...
03-27-2009, 09:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2009, 10:02 AM by JazzRoc.)
US Government: Nearly Four In Ten Admitted To "Treatment" For Marijuana Haven't Used Pot
Hi Hilly. Good news for me. My pension's coming in, in a week's time. I shall be up the hill, pressing Euros into the hand of a local grower in exchange for a bagful of mind-blower. It's so strong that a lentil's-worth is all I can take at any one time.

Poor news for the rest of you. My sympathies.

When in England, on occasion I would be followed by "spies" who would "report" me for my nefarious activities (being a "hippy") and enter the results in a "black list" to which companies (like, for instance, the BBC) would subscribe, making my search for employment progressively more difficult.

Now you might think me paranoid, but I'm not joking. I was once HIRED to manage such a blacklist (for a company called Taylor Woodrow) so I've seen with my own eyes (in the correspondence - often from the widows of men that formerly worked for it) the disgusting consequences that ensued. Their husbands' "crime" was typically that of being the leader of some local branch of a union.

To be unemployed (and unemployable) at the age of 40 in the harsh conditions of post-industrial Britain means joining the queue at the dole office, where the chairs are bolted to the floor, and you have to repeat your employment history word-for-word (even though you filled it out last time). It raises you mortality by 1000%. I calculated that Margaret Thatcher's policies were directly responsible for killing 40-yr-old unemployed men at the rate of one every thirteen minutes...

Unfortunately this circumstance was pre-computers, and I couldn't very well walk out with the stuff (I wanted to burn it), so I simply walked out.

It's nice on a Spanish island in the Atlantic.

What I saw of Canada was really nice, and a gentle person fixed me up with some great weed within hours of meeting me.

Why not there, Hilly?
03-27-2009, 01:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2009, 04:46 PM by ---.)
How long do they keep people in rehab for usually?

JR - I remember an experience of Taylor Woodrow - they built a really big mess near where I used to live once in Wales. I remember the local opposition was staunch and the land largely green belt with some fresh water and sanctuaries but they bought off the local council and railroaded it through anyhow.
03-27-2009, 03:21 PM,
While I agree with all the comments above, I have to ask one question in regards to the statistics. Is is possible that 40% lied? If someone is being forced into rehab by the courts and they have no idea what they are going to experience, or even how long they are going to be in there, and they are asked, "When's the last time you smoked grass," what the hell do you think they are going to say, "Yesterday?"

03-27-2009, 04:45 PM,
Quote:While I agree with all the comments above, I have to ask one question in regards to the statistics. Is is possible that 40% lied? If someone is being forced into rehab by the courts and they have no idea what they are going to experience, or even how long they are going to be in there, and they are asked, "When's the last time you smoked grass," what the hell do you think they are going to say, "Yesterday?"

I'm a bit slow today - I don't quite understand the angle you're coming from.. how do you mean?
03-27-2009, 10:02 PM,
To address some of the questions above, I have worked in psychiatric/drug treatments hospitals before and will base answers from my experiences in Texas.

Of course people will lie to "The Man" when he asks some questions. I have. There's no reason to be honest with authorities when they are only out to keep the status quo of make their money off of me.

Treatment times vary on a case by case basis but six weeks was the smallest time I heard of where I worked. However, that was not just for pot but was for many different kinds of drugs, coke being one of them. I never ran across anyone that was there voluntarily just for pot. There were some voluntary folks but they were having problems with many different drugs, pot included. The facility was also juvenile and there were some kids there because their parents got busted for weed and the kids had nowhere else to go. Things like that broke my heart as the kids had done nothing wrong and the parents weren't dealing but only smokers. The system made the parents criminals and destroyed the family all the while making money off of the process. It's completely disgusting and one of the reasons I couldn't work there for very long.

A lot of the staff in those places are recovering addicts as they want to help others overcome their addictions. Ironically, there was a large portion of the staff that toked and did psychedelics. Since they helped others with their problems while holding down a good job, that would qualify as responsible use in my book (yes, that included me.:D). Some of those were councilors as well. Hell, I even took a group from there to a music festival where drug fueled hedonism was the norm! LOL
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
03-28-2009, 05:39 AM,
Quote:
Quote:While I agree with all the comments above, I have to ask one question in regards to the statistics. Is is possible that 40% lied? If someone is being forced into rehab by the courts and they have no idea what they are going to experience, or even how long they are going to be in there, and they are asked, "When's the last time you smoked grass," what the hell do you think they are going to say, "Yesterday?"

I'm a bit slow today - I don't quite understand the angle you're coming from.. how do you mean?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree completely with the tone and point of the article. It's ridiculous to force people into rehab for pot, particularly when they are not addicts, which in an extremely large number of cases is the truth of the matter. It is a money making grab, and, in my opinion, the legislation is just a knee jerk reaction by incompetent politicians eager to say "they're doing something to help the community," when they are just enriching themselves.

My agreement aside, I still do not see how valid the statistics are simply for many of the reasons in the last post. People are not going to be honest and forthcoming to someone they do not see as acting in their best interest (even if the people at the center actually are.) Particularly in the case of the casual marijuana smoker who had the misfortune of getting caught, they know they can go a month or two without smoking. So, when asked "when is the last time you smoked," they will be inclined to say "the day I was caught!!! Never did it since, and never will again! I saw the light! Mr. Straight and Narrow, that's me!" in an effort to portray themselves as already on the road to "recovery" and shortening their stay.
03-28-2009, 05:49 AM,
Congrats JR on the long awaited, well deserved pension. I still have mine frozen right now, get more if I wait another 10 years. That is provided the government don't piss it away. lol.

I thought about Canada, people I have met there are definately great, but the government isn't far from ours here. Beautiful country and people though. I'd like to find a place where I can farm and my family be in peace. I think the need for farming is in my blood. No money in it, probably would be if I sold the excess but somehow I keep finding older and younger people that need it but can't afford it.

I have a cousin that just went into drug treatment, except harder drugs and spitits. I don't smoke pot or drink these days, but if I did it would be the pot. I have loads of friends and kin that smoke pot and they function just fine. I just don't see an addition factor with pot, smoked it in my younger days and decided to quit, no withdraws. It may be that it is so easy to grow that corporations can get ahold of it. To grow it properly though, it does take effort. (Not that I would know, lol). Tobacco is more additive than that I think, I still smoke. Then again, they want that to stop too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information The Globalist agenda behind Marijuana Legalization FastTadpole 12 2,016 02-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Last Post: thokling
  Israel debates legalizing medical marijuana mothandrust 2 617 12-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Last Post: mothandrust
  Uruguay: Lawmakers Authorize Marijuana Production And Sales Easy Skanking 8 1,331 12-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Last Post: pax681
Smile U.S. allows states to legalize recreational marijuana within limits Easy Skanking 4 991 09-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Last Post: thokling
  United Nations threatens Colorado, Washington state over marijuana decriminalization Easy Skanking 0 689 11-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Colorado’s War on Medical Marijuana h3rm35 1 834 11-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Last Post: CSIWEMBLEY
  Colorado legalizes marijuana for anyone over 21 April 2 798 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
  2012: Historic Year for Marijuana Reform on the Ballot h3rm35 31 4,647 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Swordfish
  Swat team shoots ex-marine 71 Times in Marijuana raid – No Marijuana found April 1 919 09-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal Easy Skanking 2 1,383 07-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Last Post: DanRicheson