Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Privatization of Canadian Water? Alberta Plays Down Water-Sharing Talks with Nestle
05-14-2011, 02:28 PM,
Information  Privatization of Canadian Water? Alberta Plays Down Water-Sharing Talks with Nestle
A bit of a whitewash from CTV but they do supply the quotes; enough to get people to dig deeper. I have .. well had, that's coming soon enough (I did the research 6 months ago); here's the corporate vs government angle.

Quote:Alberta plays down water-sharing talks with Nestle
The Canadian Press
Date: Thursday May. 12, 2011 7:11 AM ET

ctv.ca — Alberta's environment minister says he doesn't remember having talks with food conglomerate Nestle about setting up a water exchange. "Alberta's water is not for sale and will not be for sale," Rob Renner told the house during question period Wednesday. "The fact Nestle has talked about being in talks with Alberta -- I have no reason to believe is wrong," he added. "There are all kinds of corporations and lobby groups that are constantly in discussion with the government on both sides of the issue." Outside the legislature Renner said that while any changes to policy won't happen without consulting citizens, a water exchange is an idea that's time is coming.
http://twitter.com/#!/FastTadpole/status/68666795564863488
http://digg.com/news/world_news/privatization_of_canadian_water_alberta_plays_down_water_sharing_talks_with_nestle
Full Article: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110512/alberta-plays-down-water-sharing-talk-with-nestle-110512/

Related:

California Bond Opens Door to Corporate Control of Water; BC Canada Export Scandal
http://concen.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=30879

Sorry forgot to post this earlier when it broke .. busy busy
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
05-14-2011, 02:43 PM,
RE: Privatization of Canadian Water? Alberta Plays Down Water-Sharing Talks with Nestle
Thanks for the eye opener, I will see if I can broach water sales with one of the Alberta Cabinet Ministers later this month. We will both be attending an opening ceremony so I should be able to get more info than the usual form letter replies that they send out.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
05-14-2011, 02:47 PM,
RE: Privatization of Canadian Water? Alberta Plays Down Water-Sharing Talks with Nestle
(05-14-2011, 02:43 PM)icosaface Wrote: Thanks for the eye opener, I will see if I can broach water sales with one of the Alberta Cabinet Ministers later this month. We will both be attending an opening ceremony so I should be able to get more info than the usual form letter replies that they send out.

In the 20+ years I've been politically active I've found demands to our selected authorities never work. You're wasting your time.

Think bottom up, not top down.
05-14-2011, 05:54 PM,
I agree, it has to be bottom up. But I still want a verbal statement from the minister for my own documentation purposes.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
05-15-2011, 01:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2011, 01:26 AM by IanPotter.)
Oil prices rising + water being privatized.

Does this mean you'll be getting a damned good fracking too?

Sometimes it seems there's barely a limit to our collective impotence in the face of these demons.
The three grand imperatives of imperial geostrategy are to prevent collusion and maintain security dependence among the vassals, to keep tributaries pliant and protected, and to keep the barbarians from coming together. Zbig the Ruthless.
05-15-2011, 01:33 AM,
Rob Renner Wrote:Alberta's water is not for sale and will not be for sale.

But that douchebag has no qualms about giving it away for free by the billions of litres to the scum that are exploiting the tar sands.
[Image: randquote.png]
05-15-2011, 03:22 AM,
Information  RE: Privatization of Canadian Water? Alberta Plays Down Water-Sharing Talks with Nestle
ConCen's own Pizzaman777 and bLove8 did up a thread way back on taking real samples from Northern Alberta where the oil drilling and fracture drilling for natural gas were happening. Check out more on this ConCen exclusive here.

Project NASWS Is Live! Northern Alberta Surface Water Study.
http://concen.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=19101
(renamed, moved, pinned and merged)

.. from pizzaman777's siggy:
NASWS (Northern Alberta Surface Water Study) Project-BUMP THESE VIDS: (2000) (2001) (2005)
Official NASWS website is UP AND RUNNING....GET OVER THERE!!!

Check out Blove8's research site http://www.nasws.ca (Northern Alberta Surface Water Study)

If someone could step up and archive the Google videos before it shuts off for good .. it would be much appreciated. Wink

@yeti
Yeah maybe we could piggyback on the Nestle issue and bring attention to the usage of water up north at Fort McMurray and all over the oil sands to the tune of a 17:1 ratio of water:oil processed.

@icosaface
Yeah write a letter to the minister. Publish it online. Make a stink about it; if only for the posterity and the public record so they can't say "no-one told us that" or "we didn't receive any complaints" like they just did with their little publicized. Just make sure to make it an open public letter and still go through the proper channels I'm sure you are familiar with by now.
09-20-2013, 06:47 AM,
Nestle Water Takeover | Interview with Sheila Muxlow

“The truth, of course, is that a billion falsehoods told a billion times by a billion people are still false.” Travis Walton
11-07-2013, 05:16 PM,
Good video Frank2, amazing that BC has absolutely no regulation on sucking their lakes dry.

Meanwhile in Pakistan.

Quote:Nestlé: Stop draining Pakistan dry!

Nestlé is draining developing countries’ groundwater to make Pure Life bottled water, destroying countries’ natural resources before forcing its people to buy their own water back.

Now it’s set its sights on Pakistan — and if we don’t speak out, it will decimate the local water supply and render whole areas uninhabitable in order to sell mineral-enriched water to Europe and the US.

Tell Nestlé to stop stealing Pakistan’s water and making its villages uninhabitable.

Pakistani villagers can’t afford the exorbitant price of Nestlé water.

As groundwater levels plummet and fountains fill with foul-smelling sludge, these men, women and children will be slowly starved by a corporation that already owns almost every bottled water brand worldwide — unless we use Pakistan as a starting point to strike back.

If we expose what Nestlé’s doing in Pakistan, it will scale back its draining plans to avoid a global backlash. But if we ignore what’s happening there, Nestlé will soon control the world’s water even as its sources disappear — and that’s not good news for anyone.
http://action.sumofus.org/a/nestle-water-pakistan/2/2/
11-07-2013, 07:19 PM,
this is just one of many reasons and the latest one to tell nestle to fuck right off.
Water not a human right...
off is the direction in which I'd like them to fuck...
[Image: siolflag.gif]
11-08-2013, 08:02 PM,
What is this water that they speak of? Is it really something you'd want to drink in the first place; ask yourself that question...

I've been to places and helped to maintain water boxes that divert pristine stream mountain water down to the garden and house, while sending spillage back to the steam, and this IMO is an example of what should be done. Assuming that the water is tested once in a while and that you make the effort to climb uphill to check out the water source.

Also, if you look at the mountains, or landscape, and can see where stream of vapor push up from the horizon to form small rifts of mini-clouds, then chances are you'll find an underground water source where pressure is lifting it to the surface. This is a good place to dig and put in a piping system.

Be smart, be clever, be free. And my virtual friends DO NOT DRINK THE CITY WATER if you can. Never mind the climate change agenda and the "save the earth by not drinking bottle water", because some types of plastic (number 1 for example don't leach out chemical), and if you choose properly, you'll have good clean source water. Do research about the local companies that tap into source water, and drive out there to investigate. Chances are you'll be able to fill up your own containers, as the companies always leave some water for the locals to get for free.

Yes, f*ck Nestley and f*ck the sh*tstem, be smart about it all.

Peace out, got to back to building the greenhouse, building raised beds, and growing food for those who need it the most. In principle at least...

Anyone in Texas on this forum? I'd sure like to meet some "of y'all" face to face.
Paix, Amour et Lumiere
11-09-2013, 02:10 AM,
Apropos to the current topic, due to the differences in levels of contaminants in tap water based on region, water filtration systems must be designed based on the region in question. For instance, GVRD (Greater Vancouver) obtains water supplies from mountain watersheds, and treats it with chlorine instead of fluoride. Chlorine is not perfect when it comes to microorganisms, so filtration has to deal with those organisms, plus chlorine, lead (from plumbing in houses built prior to about 1990) and a couple of other substances. Yet the same filtration system will not be as effective in areas of the United States or even Eastern Canada.
Truth appears in many forms. Find those that resonate with you.

- "If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we do not believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky
- "Humans are not a rational animal, but a rationalizing one." - Leon Festinger

http://avaaz.org - The World In Action
11-09-2013, 05:11 PM,
(11-09-2013, 02:10 AM)thokling Wrote: lead (from plumbing in houses built prior to about 1990)

Are you sure? I haven't seen lead pipes in houses newer than the 1940s.
11-10-2013, 04:21 AM,
(11-09-2013, 05:11 PM)stiffy Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 02:10 AM)thokling Wrote: lead (from plumbing in houses built prior to about 1990)

No. My post contained information obtained from a handful of sources.
Truth appears in many forms. Find those that resonate with you.

- "If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we do not believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky
- "Humans are not a rational animal, but a rationalizing one." - Leon Festinger

http://avaaz.org - The World In Action
11-10-2013, 11:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013, 11:11 AM by groggin.)
(11-10-2013, 04:21 AM)thokling Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 05:11 PM)stiffy Wrote:

No. My post contained information obtained from a handful of sources.

lead pipes arent needed, though they can still be found in some older buildings, they're usually drains tho. before ~'90 copper plumbing was slodered by plumbers using usually a 50/50 or 60/40 lead/tin alloy. not much alloy exposed per joint, but there are dozens...
[Image: ommanipadmehum.gif]
my uploads on h33t

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DIY Atmospheric Drinking Water Generator vagabonder 2 1,223 06-09-2014, 01:37 AM
Last Post: vagabonder
  A Bloody War for Water in Mexico | VICE News mexika 1 681 05-28-2014, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Watchdog
  Fluoridated Water mexika 0 572 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Last Post: mexika
  The Ancestral Values We Inherited: Protecting Indigenous Water, Land, and Culture in mexika 0 656 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: mexika
  Study: Fish in Drug-Tainted Water Suffer Reaction Easy Skanking 0 684 02-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Message from Mexico: U.S. Is Polluting Water It May Someday Need to Drink mexika 1 805 02-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Last Post: notrandom
  Drugs in Drinking Water: Lithium, Caffeine, DEET, Pharmacuticals, Codeine, Antibiotics, Hormones, Uranium, Radon .. mexika 10 6,903 06-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Julminia
Photo Ocean Water Pollution: Not Just for the BP and Other Oil Companies (Infographic) FastTadpole 4 4,679 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Microwaved Water - See What It Does To Plants FighterFromAfar 21 6,326 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Fukushima radiation in Canada was worse than Canadian officials ever let on yeti 0 953 10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Last Post: yeti