Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25 Staggering signs of economic collapse+Tent Cities Filled With Tents Made In China
12-19-2010, 10:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2010, 11:25 PM by h3rm35.)
25 Staggering signs of economic collapse+Tent Cities Filled With Tents Made In China
Fuck entitlement programs, right?
Try to read this and say that these people are just too lazy to work and living off the government tit.

on another note: Don't you just want to smack the newscasters and their disassociated nonchalance in these clips?

The New American Dream: Sprawling Tent Cities Filled With Tents Made In China

December 17, 2010

By Michael T. Synder
[Image: Tent-Cities-250x166.jpg]
What would you do if you had your job suddenly ripped away from you and you ended up losing your home? Well, that is exactly what hundreds of thousands of families across America have found themselves facing during this economic downturn. So what would you do? Would you move in with relatives? Would you join the ranks of those living in the tent cities that are popping up all over the nation? Would you live in a van down by the river? The truth is that with each passing month even more Americans find themselves pushed to the brink of absolute desperation. For many of our fellow citizens, the American Dream has been reduced to finding some way to keep the rain off of them each night and finding someone who will be kind enough to give them some food during the day.

So why are so many Americans hurting? Where did all the good jobs go? Well, over the past couple of decades our new “global economy” has encouraged big corporations to move thousands of factories and millions of jobs out of the United States. Many of the good jobs that these homeless and unemployed Americans used to do are now done on the other side of the world. The ironic thing is that many of the tent cities that have bloomed in communities across the United States are filled with tents that were made in China.

Unfortunately, the tent cities that have grown up all over the nation are just a foretaste of what is coming in the future. When the economy really collapses, millions more Americans are going to be living in conditions just like this….

One of the saddest things about all of this is what is happening to older Americans. There are large numbers of older Americans that have worked hard all of their lives but that now find everything just slipping away.

A reader of this column named William recently left the following comment….
Quote: I thought I would try to start things rolling here. I am a 46 year old 99er, who just found out last week that unemployment is done. I was making $283/week which I am very thankful for, but was not enough to pay the mortgage on our small 2 bedroom, 1941 cape, ( mostly because of increasing taxes). I have been doing misc. barter jobs in trade for others services or food, etc. I have been sending resumes all around, but no bites. I am a 25 year veteran, high end woodworker. I even have some AutoCad and CNC experience, but evidently not enough experience in this economy to land me a job.

We are on the edge of not being able to pay mortgage, even though our cars are paid off, we have no phone, no cable, and the wife cooks all the meals, and I did not mention, we don’t have kids either. Just two people trying to make ends meet.

At least William and his wife still have a home (for now) and are hanging in there. There are countless others that have not been so fortunate. In fact, in the three counties surrounding Disney World, it is estimated that there are approximately 8000 people living in the woods. What some of those people have to face on a daily basis is absolutely horrifying….

Can you imagine living that way?

Sadly, many local communities across the United States are cracking down on homeless people because they simply do not want to deal with them.

In Venice, California the police are actually arresting people that are living in RVs and are towing away their vehicles. The following is an excerpt from an article that recently appeared on the Daily Kos website….

Quote: They took Eric while he was changing his battery in his car. Claimed he lived in his car. A few days later they went to 3th Street and took his RV because he was in jail and no one moved it for 72 hours. Saturday they did a sweep of 7th and took Bear and his RV. They also took Elizabeth’s RV but do not know if they took Elizabeth but can not find her. The police went to 6th and took the white RV that always parks by Broadway on 6th. Everyday they take 1 to 4 RVs. Very soon there will be no one left.

If you lost your home would you try to live in your vehicle?

Well, the truth is that it is not so easy. In fact, just on Friday a 56-year-old homeless man in northwestern Montana that was living in his car froze to death after his car battery died.

Once you have been kicked out of your home it is not easy to survive.

That is why so many Americans are so desperate to hang on to their homes.

But what do you do when you can’t find a job and your money has dwindled away to almost nothing? What do you tell your children when there is not enough money for food?

The following quote from a Huffington Post article comes from a 99er named Toni. It kind of sums up the frustration and anger that so many unemployed Americans are feeling right now….

Quote: “How does someone explain to their child that they can have a place to live and maybe stay warm in the winter, but in order to do that they won’t have any food to eat? Or they can eat, but may not have a secure place to live? Just try to explain those adult decisions to a child and see how much they understand!”

Unfortunately, many Americans respond to such suffering by saying that people like this “should just get a job”. But as I wrote about recently, the truth is that there are not nearly enough jobs for everyone who wants one anymore.

In fact, in the United States today there are over 6 million Americans that have been out of work for 6 months or longer. In such an environment, “black market industries” such as drug dealing and prostitution are thriving as desperate Americans look to survive any way that they can.

But there are many Americans that will never stoop to a life of crime. There are many Americans who feel like they have done everything that they were “supposed” to do all these years and now they feel like they are being tossed aside by society like a piece of trash.

A woman identified only as “oldandtired” recently posted the following very sad message on the Unemployed-Friends website….

Quote:How did I get here? I have donated, volunteered, etc. for those in need for decades. Now, I have $2.34 to my name. I have lost my home, filed bankruptcy, and have been separated from my daughter. I have not seen a doctor in three years. I keep looking for work, but it is like a cruel joke – and the joke is on me. I exist day to day on the charity of family and I try to keep in mind that so many of you don’t have that option.

My eyesight has been bad for most of my life. I am -8.25 and -8.50 for vision. For those of you who know the eyes, you realize that I am so near-sighted that I am legally blind when not corrected. However, I am corrected with contacts or glasses – neither of which I can afford. Contacts ran out last year and my glasses are almost 10 years old (my fault for not getting new ones when I had a job). Don’t you know? The f#$%ing things broke. No chance of fixing. No contacts. How the heck am I supposed to get work when I can‘t see????? There is no social services available without an address, and I am homeless. A PO box doesn’t cut it.

Okay, the eternal optimist isn’t being so optimistic, eh? I catch myself thinking the word ‘hate’ lately. It is a word that was never in my vocabulary before. I hate politicians. I hate the economy. I have even begun to resent and hate people who have jobs. Sometimes, tears just fall from my cheeks and I can only think of those two words…..”I hate”.

If any of you knew me, you would know how bizarre this is for me. My spirit needs a boost, but I hate to even try anymore. Anyone got a good joke? One that will make me laugh until I cry instead of me just crying.

The president and I are the same age. Retirement is so far off. Why is my life over already?

So what can the rest of us do about all of this?

Well, first of all we can all reach out and help those we know that are in need.

Secondly, we can all start preparing for the hard times that are coming. Instead of maxing out our monthly budgets, we should all be setting aside some extra money in case we lose our jobs or businesses. In addition, we should be storing up extra food and supplies for when the U.S. economy totally collapses.

Unfortunately, the U.S. economy is not going to be getting better in the long-term. We are living in the greatest debt bubble in the history of the world, and when it bursts things are going to get far worse than they are now.

So don’t look down on the millions of Americans that are really suffering right now, because one day you might be the one that is suffering.

The end of the American Dream

Tipping Point: 25 Signs That The Coming Financial Collapse Is Now Closer Then Ever

December 17, 2010

By Michael T. Snyder

The financial collapse that so many of us have been anticipating is seemingly closer then ever. Over the past several weeks, there have been a host of ominous signs for the U.S. economy. Yields on U.S. Treasuries have moved up rapidly and Moody’s is publicly warning that it may have to cut the rating on U.S. government debt soon. Mortgage rates are also moving up aggressively. The euro and the U.S. dollar both look incredibly shaky. Jobs continue to be shipped out of the United States at a blistering pace as our politicians stand by and do nothing. Confidence in U.S. government debt around the globe continues to decline. State and local governments that are drowning in debt across the United States are savagely cutting back on even essential social services and are coming up with increasingly “creative” ways of getting more money out of all of us. Meanwhile, tremor after tremor continues to strike the world financial system. So does this mean that we have almost reached a tipping point? Is the world on the verge of a major financial collapse?

Let’s hope not, but with each passing week the financial news just seems to get eve worse. Not only is U.S. government debt spinning wildly toward a breaking point, but many U.S. states (such as California) are in such horrific financial condition that they are beginning to resemble banana republics.

But it is not just the United States that is in trouble. Nightmarish debt problems in Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Belgium and several other European nations threaten to crash the euro at any time. In fact, many economists are now openly debating which will collapse first – the euro or the U.S. dollar.

Sadly, this is the inevitable result of constructing a global financial system on debt. All debt bubbles eventually collapse. Currently we are living in the biggest debt bubble in the history of the world, and when this one bursts it is going to be a disaster of truly historic proportions.

So will we reach a tipping point soon? Well, the following are 25 signs that the financial collapse is rapidly getting closer….

#1 The official U.S. unemployment rate has not been beneath 9 percent since April 2009.

#2 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are currently 6.3 million vacant homes in the United States that are either for sale or for rent.

#3 It is being projected that the U.S. trade deficit with China could hit 270 billion dollars for the entire year of 2010.

#4 Back in 2000, 7.2 percent of blue collar workers were either unemployed or underemployed. Today that figure is up to 19.5 percent.

#5 The Chinese government has accumulated approximately $2.65 trillion in total foreign exchange reserves. They have drained this wealth from the economies of other nations (such as the United States) and instead of reinvesting all of it they are just sitting on much of it. This is creating tremendous imbalances in the global economy.

#6 Since the year 2000, we have lost 10% of our middle class jobs. In the year 2000 there were approximately 72 million middle class jobs in the United States but today there are only about 65 million middle class jobs.

#7 The United States now employs about the same number of people in manufacturing as it did back in 1940. Considering the fact that we had 132 million people living in this country in 1940 and that we have well over 300 million people living in this country today, that is a very sobering statistic.

#8 According to CoreLogic, U.S. housing prices have now declined for three months in a row.

#9 The average rate on a 30 year fixed rate mortgage soared 11 basis points just this past week. As mortgage rates continue to push higher it is going to make it even more difficult for American families to afford homes.

#10 22.5 percent of all residential mortgages in the United States were in negative equity as of the end of the third quarter of 2010.

#11 The U.S. monetary base has more than doubled since the beginning of the most recent recession.

#12 U.S. Treasury yields have been rising steadily during the 4th quarter of 2010 and recently hit a six-month high.

#13 Incoming governor Jerry Brown is scrambling to find $29 billion more to cut from the California state budget. The following quote from Brown about the desperate condition of California state finances is not going to do much to inspire confidence in California’s financial situation around the globe….

“We’ve been living in fantasy land. It is much worse than I thought. I’m shocked.”

#14 24.3 percent of the residents of El Centro, California are currently unemployed.

#15 The average home in Merced, California has declined in value by 63 percent over the past four years.

#16 Detroit Mayor Dave Bing has come up with a new way to save money. He wants to cut 20 percent of Detroit off from essential social services such as road repairs, police patrols, functioning street lights and garbage collection.

#17 The second most dangerous city in the United States – Camden, New Jersey – is about to lay off about half its police in a desperate attempt to save money.

#18 In 2010, 55 percent of Americans between the ages of 60 and 64 were in the labor market. Ten years ago, that number was just 47 percent. More older Americans than ever find that they have to keep working just to survive.

#19 Back in 1998, the United States had 25 percent of the world’s high-tech export market and China had just 10 percent. Ten years later, the United States had less than 15 percent and China’s share had soared to 20 percent.

#20 The U.S. government budget deficit increased to a whopping $150.4 billion last month, which represented the biggest November budget deficit on record.

#21 The U.S. government is somehow going to have to roll over existing debt and finance new debt that is equivalent to 27.8 percent of GDP in 2011.

#22 The United States had been the leading consumer of energy on the globe for about 100 years, but this past summer China took over the number one spot.

#23 According to an absolutely stunning new poll, 40 percent of all U.S. doctors plan to bail out of the profession over the next three years.

#24 As 2007 began, there were just over 1 million Americans that had been unemployed for half a year or longer. Today, there are over 6 million Americans that have been unemployed for half a year or longer.

#25 All over the United States, local governments have begun instituting “police response fees”. For example, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has come up with a plan under which a fee of $365 would be charged if police are called to respond to an automobile accident where no injuries are involved. If there are injuries as a result of the crash that is going to cost extra.

Visit Michael’s Blog The Economic Collapse Blog
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information China's Global Economic Reach FastTadpole 8 3,636 03-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  In the Wake of Davos: "Strong Economic Medicine" for EU, Fed overshadows ECB h3rm35 0 528 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  The American Economy is "Dead": The Illusion of Economic Recovery h3rm35 0 592 02-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  "Collapse" of MF Global? B4Time 1 1,023 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Collapse of the EU sekular 0 663 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Last Post: sekular
Information The Top 100 Statistics About The Collapse Of The Economy FastTadpole 2 879 10-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Last Post: JazzRoc
  America's Fiscal Collapse Solve et Coagula 0 1,422 08-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Solve et Coagula
  Economic Collapse a Mathematical Certainty - Top 5 Places Where Not To Be Solve et Coagula 0 561 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM
  Trades reveal China shift from dollar Solve et Coagula 0 589 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM
  World Debt is Unpayable, The Only Solution is Monetary Collapse Solve et Coagula 0 534 06-20-2011, 02:17 PM