Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drug czar: Calif. pot law could spark court action
10-20-2010, 07:47 PM,
Drug czar: Calif. pot law could spark court action
Federal officials haven't ruled out taking legal action if California voters approve a ballot initiative that would legalize recreational marijuana use in the state, President Barack Obama's drug czar said Wednesday.

In a phone interview with The Associated Press, Director of National Drug Control Policy Gil Kerlikowske said Justice Department officials are "looking at all their options" for responding to the measure, which would conflict with federal laws classifying marijuana as an illegal drug.

Among them, he said, is following the recommendation nine of the nation's former Drug Enforcement Agency chiefs made last month in a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder: having Obama sue to overturn Proposition 19 as an affront to federal authority.

"The letter from the former DEA administrators, a number of whom are not only practicing attorneys but former state attorney generals, made it very clear that they felt that pre-emption was certainly applicable in this case," Kerlikowske said.

Holder told the former DEA heads last week that that the U.S. government plans to "vigorously enforce" federal laws outlawing marijuana possession and distribution even if the activities are allowed under state law. But the attorney general did not respond directly to their suggestion that the administration should go to court if California passes the first-of-its-kind measure aimed at treating marijuana the same as alcohol.

"The attorney general made it clear the federal government will continue to enforce the marijuana laws under the Controlled Substances Act. It's a duty and responsibility of government, it's not something where they can say which laws they want to enforce and which they don't," Kerlikowske said. "That being said, the Department of Justice is looking at and in discussions about whatever options might be available."

Proposition 19, a state constitutional amendment on the November ballot, would allow adults at least 21 years old to possess up to 1 ounce of marijuana and grow 25-square-foot pot gardens for personal pleasure. It would also authorize county and city governments to regulate and tax commercial cultivation and sales.

Kerlikowske was in Southern California on Wednesday for a visit to a Pasadena drug treatment center where he planned to discuss new government data on marijuana abuse in California with "Celebrity Rehab" host Drew Pinsky. The data show that California already has a much higher percentage of children in treatment for marijuana use than the rest of the country.

In California, 47 percent of those undergoing drug treatment for marijuana in 2008, either voluntarily or after encounters with the criminal justice system, were under 18, compared to 28 percent for the country as a whole. Kerlikowske said liberal attitudes toward marijuana in the state, which has the nation's most liberal medical marijuana law, are a factor.

"People don't want to see someone jump in from Washington and tell them how to vote," he said. "But I think it's also important the people of California get the facts, and the way this proposition is being sold doesn't hold up to scrutiny."

Kerlikowske, the former police chief of Seattle, criticized claims by Proposition 19's supporters that the law would free up time and money law enforcement agencies now spend pursuing marijuana offenses.

"Law enforcement agencies are not spending an inordinate amount of time chasing adults around for small amounts of marijuana," he said. "Here in California, the jail resources, law enforcement resources, court resources are not being overburdened with adults going through the system" for personal pot possession.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/10/20/national/a084551D99.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz12vQfk0CI
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
10-20-2010, 10:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-22-2010, 04:38 PM by yeti.)
When the majority says marijuana should not be a crime, the law looses its legitimacy
Enforcing the Marijuana Laws in America?
When the majority says marijuana should not be a crime, the law looses(sic) its legitimacy

By Kevin Zeese

Global Research, October 19, 2010

It is hard to imagine that Eric Holder’s letter threatening to "vigorously enforce" federal law if California votes for legalization of marijuana is serious. It seems timed to manipulate voters in California, but in this year when political elites are hated it is likely to backfire and lead Californians to vote to end the failed marijuana war.

During one of the greatest failed experiments in American history, alcohol prohibition, a turning point was when New York told the federal government it would no longer enforce laws against alcohol. That left it to the federal government to enforce the law. Already “the feds” as they were derogatorily known were hated in rural areas where alcohol was often produced and the feds came in and disrupted their commerce. Then, the biggest urban area refused to enforce the law. The result, alcohol prohibition ended a few years later.

Attorney General Eric Holder last week promised "We will vigorously enforce the [Controlled Substances Act] against those individuals and organizations that possess, manufacture or distribute marijuana for recreational use, even if such activities are permitted under state law." Does he mean that the federal government will start enforcing laws against possession of marijuana? Or, be looking in people’s homes to see if they are growing or using marijuana? That they will be searching people’s backyards for their marijuana victory garden?

It is hard to believe that in a nation where half the murders go unsolved that the Department of Justice would make marijuana a priority after the people voted for legalization. It is hard to believe that an attorney general who decided not to enforce laws against torturers and lawyers who enabled torture would instead prosecute people for marijuana offenses. This is the same attorney general who is doing nothing while the greatest democracy crime since Watergate is going on – hundreds of millions in anonymous donations to non-profit front group who are trying to influence campaigns in violation of election and tax laws.

The police and the courts depend on the cooperation of communities to keep order. If a majority of Californians vote for legalization of adult use and cultivation of marijuana what kind of legitimacy do the laws against marijuana have? Already, large numbers distrust law enforcement, the feds will have no legitimacy if they are enforcing a law the majority opposes.

I realize that Holder has the responsibility of enforcing federal law. But, continuing on autopilot with aggressive marijuana law enforcement is a disservice, indeed an injustice. Passage of Prop. 19 is an opportunity to begin a national discussion of how to better control marijuana. Prohibition has been a failure, the marijuana war has been expensive and damaging; there are better ways.

Proposition 19 is an opportunity for the lead law enforcement officer to help the country change direction to a more just and fair society. As long ago as 1972 a federal commission appointed by President Nixon, the National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Abuse, recommended decriminalization of marijuana. And, this was restated in 1982 by a commission of the National Academy of Science in their report "An Analysis of Marijuana Policy" which urged consideration of legalization. The experts have said throughout the time of the marijuana war that it was the wrong approach, now the voters are showing they agree. This is an opportunity for leadership from the attorney general, leadership to a non-criminal approach to marijuana.

The U.S. criminal justice system is already seen by many as a system of injustice. Why? Because the United States with 5% of the world’s population has 25% of the world’s prisoners. One in 31 Americans is either behind bars, on probation or on parole, for African Americans it is one in 11 adults. This mass “criminal” population in “the land of the free” shows something is terribly wrong. What drives a system that results in 7 million Americans behind bars, on probation or parole? No doubt, one of the driving forces is the war on drugs, and marijuana is the driving force of the drug war with a marijuana arrest every 38 seconds, 840,000 annually.

Hopefully, Attorney General Holder will re-think his plan to escalate federal enforcement if a majority votes for ending criminal laws against marijuana. He should instead lead the nation to laws that are consistent with the essence of justice, i.e. being righteous and fair. Is it righteous or fair to enforce laws that the majority says should no longer exist?

Attorney General Holder – America needs real justice leadership. We need a leader who will help the country face up to its mass incarceration problem and its misuse of law enforcement to incarcerate people who grow a plant or smoke an herb. Mr. Attorney General you can do better than just saying – we’re going to ignore the people and keep arresting people for something they think should no longer be illegal.

Kevin Zeese is president of Common Sense for Drug Policy (http://www.csdp.org).
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
10-21-2010, 12:14 AM,
RE: Drug czar: Calif. pot law could spark court action
Good post h3,how true it has allways been about getting new thinkers in there or new leadership.
The old thinkers have to go cause it's killing the planet,out with the old(haters)and in with the new(fresh minds)before the world can start to heal itself.

and yes it is true that once one state goes for it the rest of the country will go sooner or later all a matter of time.

That 5% to 25% ratio ain't lookin so good on you America ,hate to say it since you be the ones who like to make the world think you are the freest country in the world.
Those numbers just show that the hatred is still plentyful in the land of the free thats all, its just that that law was there to help continue persecuting the African americans even though they were free just like they will still try to bust our heads even when the law says we can do it.
I mean it is kinda the same,this all falls under my attack against COPS(citizens on patrol)because as I have said before that with the right laws in place and with just a few people in a few (sick)groups it is easy to target someone if you don't like them and have them thrown in jail or as in my case declared insane and discredited.

I have allways said that the way I see it at least half of all people in jail for drug offences were all set up to get busted, arrested, convicted and jailed, all planned out by very sick haters.
They were all planned to get busted by sick bastards that use everything they can to spread hatred including using law and order.

So yes new thinking certainly is needed to get rid of all the tools used by the elite haters to enslave us all.

Let's hope prop 19 goes through without a problem.

FREE MARC EMERY
10-21-2010, 10:51 PM,
I'm actually beginning to feel like prop 19 may not be the best idea for California. They're talking about a $50/oz statewide tax, with some municipalities and counties talking about tacking on an extra $100, whereas right now I pay about $16. It would be great for the rest of the country, precedent-wise, but I also get the feeling that the whole angle relating to driving under the influence could get ugly. If the law passes, cops would likely start trying to nail more people for pot on the road since it'll be the only way they could bust people for it, and since there's no breathalyzer for pot and it's fat soluble, its conceivable that we'd end up having more stringent punishments that include license points, and people may very well be convicted for DUI because pot's in their system from a few hits they took at home weeks before, since tests for pot can show positive for around a month. On top of that, the city of Oakland with its myriad of current dispensaries, already has some ordinances set up that will be introduced after prop 19's passage that will restrict distribution to two overall locations, which (if he gets his way,) are owned by a douchebag that has no compassion whatsoever for those who use MJ as medicine, and has ties to some of the largest agricultural companies in CA. There's also a prop that'll be on the ballot for massive police budget and tax hikes due to "all the new crime" that "will occur" as a result of 19's passage. Also, the poll numbers in favor of 19 have taken ~ a 5 point hit in the past couple days... I'm assuming that that's because of the original post. Those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt, because MANY people who haven't voted before or don't vote regularly (and therefor aren't included in poll numbers,) have registered specifically to vote in favor of its passage.

Right now in CA, the feds aren't all that aggressive on enforcing Fed law over CA law, and I honestly believe they'll drop the hammer pretty hard if it passes. Also, as it stands right now pretty much anyone that wants to get pot can pay $80 to Medican and be set up with a doctor's recommendation, and an official 215 card, even if they're the picture of perfect health. For all intents and purposes, its pretty much as legal now as it will be if prop 19 passes. I won't be all that upset if it passes, but IMO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
10-22-2010, 01:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-22-2010, 01:13 AM by dicktater.)
Quote:I'm actually beginning to feel like prop 19 may not be the best idea for California. They're talking about a $50/oz statewide tax, with some municipalities and counties talking about tacking on an extra $100, whereas right now I pay about $16.

Like I said, trading one form of "the man" for another. Whatta joke.

Hand me the riveter honey. Little Mary's ankle shackles are coming loose.

Quote:During one of the greatest failed experiments in American history, alcohol prohibition, a turning point was when New York told the federal government it would no longer enforce laws against alcohol. That left it to the federal government to enforce the law. Already “the feds” as they were derogatorily known were hated in rural areas where alcohol was often produced and the feds came in and disrupted their commerce. Then, the biggest urban area refused to enforce the law. The result, alcohol prohibition ended a few years later.

Won't be happening in Los Angeles, though. Los Angeles County Sheriff, Lee Baca, held a news conference last Friday to let the voters of Los Angeles know that he and his deputies will continue to enforce the current marijuana laws even if Proposition 19 passes and Californian voters make marijuana legal for all adults. Baca says deputies would enforce marijuana laws even if Prop. 19 passes.

WTF is Baca smoking? Has he been bought? He doesn't have jurisdiction to enforce federal law. Or does he? DodgyDodgyDodgy Can he enforce non-existent California laws without it being considered an act of war against the people of Los Angeles County? We'll see.

L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca says deputies would enforce marijuana laws even if Prop. 19 passes
October 15, 2010 | 1:12 pm

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca said Friday his deputies’ marijuana enforcement would not change even if Proposition 19, which would legalize the drug in California, passes Nov. 2.

“Proposition 19 is not going to pass, even if it passes,” Baca said in a news conference Friday at sheriff's headquarters in Monterey Park.

Baca, whose department polices three-fourths of the county, was bolstered Friday by an announcement from the Obama administration that federal officials would continue to “vigorously enforce” marijuana laws in California, even if state voters pass the measure.

L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca says deputies would enforce marijuana laws even if Prop. 19 passes

More here:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/10/baca-medical-marijuana.html

Oh, OK. Now I get it. He's insane.

Sheriff Baca says "Yes to Scientology"
Oct. 19, 2010

[Image: 7849___Selected.jpg]

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca is an advocate of Scientology's Narconon drug treatment programs, he actively promotes the program that was developed by former Science fiction writer L Ron Hubbard. Sheriff Baca has close cozy ties to Scientology,and has admitted to training deputies in his department using Scientology materials and courses.Baca says he uses Scientology materials to train deputies in his department –who apparently use them to train "at-risk youth."

More here:
http://www.rantrave.com/Rant/Sheriff-Baca-says-Yes-to-Scientology.aspx
10-22-2010, 03:05 PM,
Kinda like with Hitler,they got him and we all pretend we won the war but the fact is HITLER is alive and well in north America.
Even after you take out the head of it all the hate and evil will continue because there will allways be sicko's who will continue to persecute the users.

Whether 19 passes or not it doesn't matter because just simply by trying shows the whole world it is time for change and just a matter of time provided we fight to keep our freedoms.
The pot laws must change because if it doesn't democracy is officialy dead and tyranny will take over us all and enslave us all so if it doesn't pass it will be set in stone that freedom is gone forever is the way I see it.
This is a battle between the elite and the people and if the people do not win this one then it is time for us all to arm ourselves and prepare for battle.
If it does not pass then America the ones who preach about how free they are will enslave us all.

Like I keep saying Hitler is alive and well and he controlls us all and if it does not pass then we will all know this is true.
The American government has been telling me I am a criminal loser for thirty years now because of the pot I smoke and so if even one state allows weed to be smoked recreationaly then it is legal here and I will grow and smoke it.
When it is legal there then every Canadian in this country will grow and smoke thier own and America can go fuck itself is they way I see it.
This gutless weak country has no balls to stand up to the tyranny of the USA and it has been that way for years and it is because of sick little politicians like Harper who bend over for America.
So yes I do hope it passes but I don't have faith in society anymore and so I can see it not pass as there are still alot of haters who just happen to be the elite who rule us all.
When you throw in facts like only about 3% of the population actually read books it clearly shows people are not educated enough to make the right vote and this is why it has taken so long for proposition 19 to appear.

Never mind the ones who will vote for it,let's talk about the sicko's who voted against it.
I mean we all know it is the world #1 renewable resource,we all know it is all good for us and it has all been a big lie regardless of what the laws says.
We all know it was put here for us to use as humans and anyone who tries to stop it must be pure evil.
I mean when you real think about it there are no exuses as to why it should be illegal because we know it is all good.
So it really is a battle between the good and the evil is the way I see it so I guess it is up to America to show us just how evil a land this is.

Will evil win as allways or will good take a hold and make a stand for a change?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US govt struck deal with Mexican drug cartel in exchange for info mexika 0 561 01-18-2014, 02:17 AM
Last Post: mexika
Exclamation FBI shuts alleged online drug marketplace, Silk Road Easy Skanking 8 1,815 12-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Last Post: mothandrust
  Drug War in Mexico mexika 0 555 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
  Retired Judge Reveals the Surprising Rationale for America's Extremist Drug Laws mexika 1 1,162 01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Last Post: macfadden
  The drug war profiteers mexika 0 866 11-21-2012, 12:09 AM
  Black Market Drug Site 'Silk Road' Booming: $22 Million In Annual Sales shuffle 3 1,468 11-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Last Post: psilocybin
  How Can We Stop the Mexican Drug Insanity mexika 0 877 06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
  The Drug War is a War on Latin America - Chomsky mexika 0 777 05-15-2012, 01:28 AM
  U.S. Agents Launder Mexican Profits of Drug Cartels mexika 0 796 12-06-2011, 01:18 AM
  Whistleblowers reveal tight-knit relationship between U.S. officials and drug cartels mexika 0 786 09-20-2011, 11:37 PM