Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel Wants Brain Implants in Customers' Heads by 2020
09-24-2010, 04:21 PM,
Intel Wants Brain Implants in Customers' Heads by 2020
Quote:If the idea of turning consumers into true cyborgs sounds creepy, don't tell Intel researchers. Intel's Pittsburgh lab aims to develop brain implants that can control all sorts of gadgets directly via brain waves by 2020.

The scientists anticipate that consumers will adapt quickly to the idea, and indeed crave the freedom of not requiring a keyboard, mouse, or remote control for surfing the Web or changing channels. They also predict that people will tire of multi-touch devices such as our precious iPhones, Android smart phones and even Microsoft's wacky Surface Table.

Turning brain waves into real-world tech action still requires some heavy decoding of brain activity. The Intel team has already made use of fMRI brain scans to match brain patterns with similar thoughts across many test subjects.
Plenty of other researchers have also tinkered in this area. Toyota recently demoed a wheelchair controlled with brainwaves, and University of Utah researchers have created a wireless brain transmitter that allows monkeys to control robotic arms.

There are still more implications to creating a seamless brain interface, besides having more cyborgs running around. If scientists can translate brain waves into specific actions, there's no reason they could not create a virtual world with a full spectrum of activity tied to those brain waves. That's right -- we're seeing Matrix creep.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2009-11/intel-wants-brain-implants-consumers-heads-2020
09-26-2010, 04:25 PM,
RE: Intel Wants Brain Implants in Customers' Heads by 2020
(09-24-2010, 04:21 PM)April Wrote: we're seeing Matrix creep.
That's a bit of a stretch.

I've seen a "brain reader" that you can slip on like a tiara. Why the need to poke within?

09-26-2010, 04:50 PM,
(09-26-2010, 04:25 PM)JazzRoc Wrote:
(09-24-2010, 04:21 PM)April Wrote: we're seeing Matrix creep.
That's a bit of a stretch.

I've seen a "brain reader" that you can slip on like a tiara. Why the need to poke within?

I'd say that their want, rather than need, to poke within probably stems from the fact that functionality would be increased, you wouldn't need any body parts (i.e. hands, breath) to be used, wouldn't have to apply any device such as a "tiara", and of course, will probably be encouraged to make it integrated with the 'consumer'.

All that said, this is some freaky stuff! Especially considering they are probably right in stating "scientists anticipate that consumers will adapt quickly to the idea".
"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." -- 1 John 2:6
"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly... This is the interrelated structure of reality." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." -- Proverbs 18:13
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -- Leo Tolstoy
"To love is to be vulnerable" -- C.S Lewis

The Kingdom of God is within you! -- Luke 17:20-21

https://duckduckgo.com/
09-26-2010, 10:13 PM,
(09-26-2010, 04:50 PM)Dunamis Wrote: I'd say that their want, rather than need, to poke within probably stems from the fact that functionality would be increased, you wouldn't need any body parts (i.e. hands, breath) to be used, wouldn't have to apply any device such as a "tiara", and of course, will probably be encouraged to make it integrated with the 'consumer'.
ADEQUATE functionality is all that's necessary.

Quote:they are probably right in stating "scientists anticipate that consumers will adapt quickly to the idea".
Not THIS "consumer".
09-28-2010, 02:24 AM,
(09-26-2010, 10:13 PM)JazzRoc Wrote:
(09-26-2010, 04:50 PM)Dunamis Wrote: I'd say that their want, rather than need, to poke within probably stems from the fact that functionality would be increased, you wouldn't need any body parts (i.e. hands, breath) to be used, wouldn't have to apply any device such as a "tiara", and of course, will probably be encouraged to make it integrated with the 'consumer'.
ADEQUATE functionality is all that's necessary.

Quote:they are probably right in stating "scientists anticipate that consumers will adapt quickly to the idea".
Not THIS "consumer".

I second that JazzRoc, sadly though, there is a world of sheepish consumers out there ready to work like a slave in order to buy such technology, thinking they have been free all along...
"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." -- 1 John 2:6
"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly... This is the interrelated structure of reality." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." -- Proverbs 18:13
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -- Leo Tolstoy
"To love is to be vulnerable" -- C.S Lewis

The Kingdom of God is within you! -- Luke 17:20-21

https://duckduckgo.com/
09-28-2010, 03:08 AM,
(09-24-2010, 04:21 PM)April Wrote: I'd say that their want, rather than need, to poke within probably stems from the fact that functionality would be increased, you wouldn't need any body parts (i.e. hands, breath) to be used, wouldn't have to apply any device such as a "tiara", and of course, will probably be encouraged to make it integrated with the 'consumer'.

All that said, this is some freaky stuff! Especially considering they are probably right in stating "scientists anticipate that consumers will adapt quickly to the idea".

Diddy got two fer the price of one and so can you!

[Image: 03cyborg.jpg]

09-28-2010, 06:06 PM,
I can agree with you up to a point on this jazz. i wouldnt be one of thier consumers.

However i can feel a tech point of conflict. you will first of all have "readers" as in the mind reading equipment we have now.

The next wave would be to input signals to the brain. I can see this to be a whole different ball game. That where the conflict will arise.

As far as old mother gov or any corporation gleaning information out of your head, tbh a credit card may be more telling as to behaviour. Our heads are filled with all kinds of irrelevant data that is processed in real time and discarded if deemed unneeded. I think it would be hard to find data relevant to the search. what ever that search is. it would have to be tayloured to the person. just like hacking into a computer. you dont know what will let you in, and you may be caught out trying to discover it.

The worst thing could happen is that you think your boss is a dick and still have your tiara onSmile
09-28-2010, 07:43 PM,
would you be mad at me if i wanted the brain reading tiara ? Hope they're fancy!! LOLLOLLOL

sorry

10-11-2010, 03:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2010, 03:41 PM by JazzRoc.)
(09-28-2010, 06:06 PM)rsol Wrote: The next wave would be to input signals to the brain. I can see this to be a whole different ball game.
Our brains are different from each other. Yes, we all have the sameish weight of "little gray cells", but each one is uniquely-wired.
Signals would have to be uniquely-targeted in each case to reach SPECIFIC synapses, in order that a SPECIFIC communication might take place. So I see that as close to impossible.
With an internal chip, the connections would have to be voluntarily formed by the user, and as such there is some scope for external control, but overriden in perpetuity by INTERNAL control. Unless done in infancy, maybe.
Also, that extra EM radiation would have to be added to the accumulated tally of EM exposure, and I think that ALL radiation exposure (save for most solar) needs parsimony, don't you?
I think you will find the rest of us agree as well.

(09-28-2010, 07:43 PM)April Wrote: would you be mad at me if i wanted the brain-reading tiara? Hope they're fancy!
No. It's not fancy at all, it's very minimal. It allows simple directional control, like "go left", "stop", etc.

I know of a few blind-man experiments with implanted brain chips. These all seem to work to the satisfaction of the users, despite a terrible visual "resolution".

The way we actually see is as a patchboard of visual snippets, which the brain assembles as a smooth continuity over time. We are beautifully fooled by this illusion. It's an illusion that CAN fail us. Quite a high proportion of motor accidents are consequences of it.

10-11-2010, 04:16 PM,
Despite the relative low cost of ID chip implants, almost nobody voluntarily had one installed. I'm guessing this would be the case with brain implants.
[Image: randquote.png]
10-11-2010, 05:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM by zimmerframe.)
Completely different things. The point is moot and the argument invalid. People not enthusing to pay for being electronically tagged has little to nothing to do with the prospects of the 'augmented reality' brain chips may be hailed to give ability for and access to. Sloppy thinking to think the word "voluntary" means anything anymore, 'coersion' is the name of the game. Many people may have kept their horses when velopeds became available even though of "the relative low cost" of the veloped in comparison with keeping a horse, however, now more people ride motorbikes proper than horses.. velopeds, who knows? Synthesizing with machine intelligence and all the prospective "boons" of such, are entirely other than simply being implanted with an electronic ID device. It won't be about penny grubbing and computer freaks will be first and many amongst the queues to become humans v.2.0 even if only in their own minds.
10-11-2010, 08:45 PM,
informative stuff here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MsAnnieOne
10-12-2010, 01:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM by yeti.)
(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: Completely different things.

Oh really? Both are implanted into the body. Neither provide abilities that low tech solutions don't already provide. Bear in mind that the article is not discussing life-saving devices like pacemakers, or life-improving devices like electronic eyes.

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: The point is moot and the argument invalid.

So you say. Most people can understand the comparison.

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: People not enthusing to pay for being electronically tagged has little to nothing to do with the prospects of the 'augmented reality' brain chips may be hailed to give ability for and access to.

The article mentions nothing of 'augmented reality'. It discusses using a brain implant to replace "a keyboard, mouse, or remote control for surfing the Web or changing channels."

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: Sloppy thinking to think the word "voluntary" means anything anymore, 'coersion' is the name of the game.

TPTB know that because they cannot control all people all the time, they must convince them to voluntarily do their bidding. Therefore "voluntary" is a key part of the control mechanism.

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: Many people may have kept their horses when velopeds became available even though of "the relative low cost" of the veloped in comparison with keeping a horse, however, now more people ride motorbikes proper than horses.. velopeds, who knows?

"Veloped" is not a word in the English dictionary. Are you referring to bicycles?

If so, thank you for providing an example that proves my point. Bicycles and cars were only purchased in large quantities when it made sense to do so. Replacing a keyboard with a brain implant will never make sense to the vast majority.

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: Synthesizing with machine intelligence and all the prospective "boons" of such, are entirely other than simply being implanted with an electronic ID device.

OK, but that's not what the article is about. You're comparing apples and oranges in a vain effort to be contrarian.

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: It won't be about penny grubbing and computer freaks will be first and many amongst the queues to become humans v.2.0 even if only in their own minds.

LOL

I'm sure "computer freaks" would be the absolute last people on the planet to replace their "keyboard, mouse, or remote control for surfing the Web or changing channels" with a brain implant, for the simple reason that they know better than others that it provides no benefit but is costly and risky. They are also more likely to understand that all technology is hackable.

BTW people, zimmerframe is nik, a no-planer and former moderator of this site.
[Image: randquote.png]
10-13-2010, 09:57 AM,
(10-12-2010, 01:02 PM)yeti Wrote:
(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: Completely different things.

Oh really? Both are implanted into the body. Neither provide abilities that low tech solutions don't already provide. Bear in mind that the article is not discussing life-saving devices like pacemakers, or life-improving devices like electronic eyes.

"Neither provide abilities that low tech solutions don't already provide"

A little bit further on you refer to the English dictionary - whilst you have one to hand, why not also look up the word "exponential". i guess you don't remember anymore life before the internet all those many many years ago in the dim dark past Rolleyes

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: The point is moot and the argument invalid.

So you say. Most people can understand the comparison.

Well, I don't know "most people" to be able to verify that but nevertheless, even if "most people understand" it is still a facile comparison supported by a wholly illogical and irrelevant premise.

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: People not enthusing to pay for being electronically tagged has little to nothing to do with the prospects of the 'augmented reality' brain chips may be hailed to give ability for and access to.

The article mentions nothing of 'augmented reality'. It discusses using a brain implant to replace "a keyboard, mouse, or remote control for surfing the Web or changing channels."

That would constitute an augmented reality.
(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: Sloppy thinking to think the word "voluntary" means anything anymore, 'coersion' is the name of the game.

TPTB know that because they cannot control all people all the time, they must convince them to voluntarily do their bidding. Therefore "voluntary" is a key part of the control mechanism.

Sure,that's why the Lisbon treaty had to be voted on twice in Ireland. That's why fuel bills are going to be raised by 67% in the UK to foot the bill for transition to RFID metering and "green energy" etc etc It's all voluntary obviously.

Seeing as you mention the English dictionary a bit further on in your veloped, why not look up the words "voluntary" and "coersion" for fun? Whilst at it, seeing as you think the ID chip is synonymous with the relatively soon to be rolled out brain chip, in terms of attempting to construct a superficial argument ad to why people will not be interested in them, you might as well make yourself familiar with the word "exponential" too. Good luck.

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: Many people may have kept their horses when velopeds became available even though of "the relative low cost" of the veloped in comparison with keeping a horse, however, now more people ride motorbikes proper than horses.. velopeds, who knows?

"Veloped" is not a word in the English dictionary. Are you referring to bicycles?

Nope. Motorized cheesy puffs. By the way, I, personally, still wouldn't work for the defence department on repeated contracts even if they offered me the moon on a rope.

(10-12-2010, 01:02 PM)yeti Wrote: If so, thank you for providing an example that proves my point.

huhu stuffy much? No, thank me another time, the only example I provideed decimates your "point" rather than "proves" it ( how can one actually "prove" a simplistic speculation as to the future btw.? You know what you can do with your crystal ball, don't you? I think the altitudes must have gotten to you, hairy one - obviously you are not a real yeti and rather just a gimp in a suit) --- no wait!! decimate means to reduce by a tenth -- that's not what I meant; I meant your "point" was purely just a sketchy speculation, completely flawed in it's base premise and otherwise silly punditry. But indeed amusement is provided that you wish to defend it so Wink

(10-12-2010, 01:02 PM)yeti Wrote: Bicycles and cars were only purchased in large quantities when it made sense to do so.
Replacing a keyboard with a brain implant will never make sense to the vast majority.

I didn't mention cars. I think you both underestimate the power of coersion and the literal ramifications of the exponential technologies we are now on the eve of..you attempt to reduce the issue of bio-digitally (dont know if it is a word either -- have a look in the dictionary while you are there,cheers) modified humanity to a hands free internet access, little more, and posit that people will simply reject it en masse because it is a bit pricey or something. It's so monolithic, look at it this way; there was little virtue in the few throwing cash down the well to get the apple mac but yet you are reading and hopefully absorbing this on a computer...a thing we all have here..whether that was voluntary, coersive or the march of progress, is open to debate. Regardless, your statements are glib and your defence of them now, facile. Rolleyes Admittedly, Venter's "breakthrough" back in May didn't make a splash hereabouts nor the significant mumours from the field of Gerontology but nevertheless..

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: Synthesizing with machine intelligence and all the prospective "boons" of such, are entirely other than simply being implanted with an electronic ID device.

OK, but that's not what the article is about.
That's what your statement was wholly about

QED (have a look in the dictionary)

Furthermore, when we limit discussion solely due to literal reverence of the confines and limited aspects of any one circulated article in general internet media we have stagnated and simply reduced to "consumers" of information. As said, QED. You conjectured something which was silly and myopic, it is not my fault you have a massive stumbling block with admitting you can ever being error.

(10-12-2010, 01:02 PM)yeti Wrote: You're comparing apples and oranges in a vain effort to be contrarian.

Not really.

The Apples and Oranges analogy is much more suited to your comparison between sub-dermal basic identification implants (such as like in many passports now - was it voluntary?) and the completely different issue of permanent cerebral implants. You blandly attempted/still attempt to bind the two together under grounds of both costing money to buy and both being of digital origin. That is not my fault but neither is it "a vain effort to be contrarian" on my part insofar as that I am simply contending what I see as a puerile and mistaken comment from yourself. I admit that fact that your problem with needing to be dictatorial and a can never be wrong type added impetus..not least in that the entire long standing staff find imagined power to have chronically gone to your head. Where is plasticfan? Where is Easyskanking? Like me, they quit, because of your vanity.

(10-11-2010, 05:11 PM)zimmerframe Wrote: It won't be about penny grubbing and computer freaks will be first and many amongst the queues to become humans v.2.0 even if only in their own minds.

LOL

I'm sure "computer freaks" would be the absolute last people on the planet to replace their "keyboard, mouse, or remote control for surfing the Web or changing channels" with a brain implant, for the simple reason that they know better than others that it provides no benefit but is costly and risky. They are also more likely to understand that all technology is hackable.

"I'm sure"

Do you get your absolutist crystal ball for future certainty from the Canadian Defence Dept. at discount rate for workrate shown or is it just an uncanny knowingability that the rest of us are not blessed with?

"..would be the absolute last people on the planet to replace their "keyboard, mouse, or remote control for surfing the Web or changing channels" with a brain implant"

I really do not know how much it would require for you to see with improved clarity what an unperturbed march of progress will actually entail but really it matters not, th isis just another of many boards offering punditry, not my fault you got called out for talking shite br otherwise stop spouting facile commentarythat from the apple mac to now in a few decades is analogous..and balh blah bleh blah to u . cant give a fuck actually. i sit here wasting time construxtingtext for ye. fuck that
BTW people, zimmerframe is nik, a no-planer and former moderator of this site.
[/quote]

fuck you, i just wanted to discuss that shit, it was you that went fucking manchurian candidate on the staff not me
10-16-2010, 12:35 AM,
"It's" is a short form of "it is".
"Coercion" is spelled thus.
Smart computers should be voice-activated soon.
Who WANTS to be BORG?
Hi, Nik.
Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Brain Implant Lets One Monkey Control Another thokling 4 1,045 02-22-2014, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Disconnect from The Cell Phone Trap or Fry Your Brain & CNS. Your Choice FastTadpole 8 4,843 05-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Scientists Enhance Intelligence of Mice with Human Brain Cells Frank2 4 1,692 03-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Frank2
  Brain Scans 'To Predict Future Criminals' TriWooOx 5 2,780 03-14-2012, 02:48 AM
Exclamation Immortal avatars: Back up your brain, never die --- 2 1,152 06-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
Video Data Vizualization - Life of the Future: Visions of 2020 FastTadpole 0 1,036 06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
  Brain scanners to be used to 'design' political candidates TriWooOx 11 2,743 05-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Chips in brains will control computers by 2020 ? April 5 1,297 01-18-2010, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Ctrl
  New Store Signs Can Spy On Customers April 0 706 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Last Post: April
  IBM researchers predict simulation of human brain by supercomputer in ten years --- 0 891 11-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Last Post: ---