Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People Who Cannot Escape a System Are Likely to Defend the Status Quo, Study Finds
08-21-2010, 04:33 PM,
People Who Cannot Escape a System Are Likely to Defend the Status Quo, Study Finds
Quote:People Who Cannot Escape a System Are Likely to Defend the Status Quo, Study Finds

ScienceDaily (Aug. 18, 2010) — The freedom of emigration at will is internationally recognized as a human right. But, in practice, emigration is often restricted, whether by policy or by poverty. A new study published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, finds that people who are told that their right to emigrate will be restricted have what could be considered a strange reaction: they respond by defending their country's system.

The researchers suspected that people who are under an oppressive regime might try to see their situation in the best light possible. "When you're stuck with something, one tendency is to make peace with it and try to see it in as much of a positive light as you can," says Kristin Laurin, who cowrote the study with Steven Shepherd and Aaron C. Kay at the University of Waterloo. But it was also possible to have the opposite reaction: "Other times, when you're told that you can't have something, that makes you want it more."

In one experiment for the study, 28 Canadian women read a paragraph about freedom of emigration from Canada. Half read a paragraph saying that moving out of Canada would become easier in the next few years, and the other half read a paragraph saying that this would become more difficult. Then the women read another paragraph that described gender inequality in Canada -- for example, that "men's starting salaries are a full 20% higher than women's starting salaries." The women who read that emigration would become harder were less likely to attribute that gender inequality to a systemic problem with their country. The researchers interpret that to mean that people who feel trapped in their country are more likely to try to justify the country's system and rationalize away its dissatisfactory elements.

"We focused on policies, but there are a lot of other reasons that make it hard for people to leave. One of these is poverty," says Laurin. "It's a depressing thought that the poor, the very people who are put in the worst position by a particular system, might be the ones that are the most motivated to defend that system."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100816142129.htm
08-21-2010, 04:59 PM,
RE: People Who Cannot Escape a System Are Likely to Defend the Status Quo, Study Finds
It is what it is and it is always changing, The ruling class knows this. Destroy two generations and the third generation won't have a historical tether. If you inundate them with distractions, obfuscations and prevarications then their mental boots are corrupt. They need to reboot in fresh mental air.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi

Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind.
Did you think you were put here for something less?
Chief Arvol Looking Horse
08-22-2010, 04:52 AM,
RE: People Who Cannot Escape a System Are Likely to Defend the Status Quo, Study Finds
(08-21-2010, 04:59 PM)icosaface Wrote: It is what it is and it is always changing, The ruling class knows this. Destroy two generations and the third generation won't have a historical tether. If you inundate them with distractions, obfuscations and prevarications then their mental boots are corrupt. They need to reboot in fresh mental air.

Actually its a lost cause to try to change the perception of people who have cemented their views. Only those who havent made up their minds can be saved from their own perdicament and thats mostly the younger gernerations.
We need a Galileo of genetics to stand up to the Church of Equality and tell them the earth is not flat.
-Unknown Commenter
08-22-2010, 11:41 AM,
ooh that's so ugly. Middle brow nazis preying on the youth. same old story.
08-22-2010, 04:31 PM,
(08-22-2010, 11:41 AM)nik Wrote: ooh that's so ugly. Middle brow nazis preying on the youth. same old story.

You know its true but you just wont admit it. If you were to talk about any conspiracy theories on national tv you would be laughed down i a second. Go to a campus and do the same and more people would take you seriously. Btw how do you sleep att night having such perverse thoughts?
We need a Galileo of genetics to stand up to the Church of Equality and tell them the earth is not flat.
-Unknown Commenter
08-22-2010, 05:25 PM,
(08-22-2010, 04:31 PM)prisma Wrote:
(08-22-2010, 11:41 AM)nik Wrote: ooh that's so ugly. Middle brow nazis preying on the youth. same old story.

You know its true but you just wont admit it. If you were to talk about any conspiracy theories on national tv you would be laughed down i a second. Go to a campus and do the same and more people would take you seriously. Btw how do you sleep att night having such perverse thoughts?

Yes, I do know what is true about the problems created by poverty, however your idea of the causes and solutions are simply reactionary nonsense based on a flawed conception that you are in some way superior due to your dna. It is ridiculous.

perverse thoughts? um.

I was alluding to tinpot fascist intellectuals preying on the youth from socioeconomically deprived areas and hoodwinking them with the old canard of "blame the foreigners for your poverty".

It is tried and tested and it is perverse,I agree.

However, you seem to immediately thought of paedophilia.

All you have succeeded in doing in attempting to suggest I am a pervert is clarify the dinginess of your own mind.

Your stated belief is in proposing a society shaped by "cultural authoritarianism" .

Clearly it is you that is the scumbag, not I !!

I predict you are just another spoilt rich brat, the sort that feels powerful by spitting on coloured people on the street or intimidating them.

Anyway, hopefully one of the admins will get tired of your one trick bollox "discourse" and get rid of you before long.

08-23-2010, 10:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM by JazzRoc.)
(08-22-2010, 05:25 PM)nik Wrote:
(08-22-2010, 04:31 PM)prisma Wrote:
Yes, I do know what is true about the problems created by poverty, however your idea of the causes and solutions are simply reactionary nonsense based on a flawed conception that you are in some way superior due to your dna. It is ridiculous. perverse thoughts? um. I was alluding to tinpot fascist intellectuals preying on the youth from socioeconomically deprived areas and hoodwinking them with the old canard of "blame the foreigners for your poverty". It is tried and tested and it is perverse, I agree.
However, you seem to immediately thought of paedophilia. All you have succeeded in doing in attempting to suggest I am a pervert is clarify the dinginess of your own mind. Clearly it is you that is the scumbag, not I! I predict you are just another spoilt rich brat, the sort that feels powerful by spitting on coloured people on the street or intimidating them. Anyway, hopefully one of the admins will get tired of your one trick bollox "discourse" and get rid of you before long.
Isn't this extreme?
"Middle-brow Nazis preying upon youth" - the only example I can dream up is teachers around WW2, where about 10% of BRITAIN had fascist sympathies. It must have happened. Oh, and Enoch Powell and Jean Le Pen.
The youth who go fascist never need anyone from outside to tell them how to envisage the lowest common factor of thought. We can ALL do that - it comes naturally to all of us.
How did you get to paedophilia? I cannot see your route.
How would you be able to predict someone else's propensity to "spit upon others in the street"?
The researchers say: "It's a depressing thought that the poor, the very people who are put in the worst position by a particular system, might be the ones that are the most motivated to defend that system."
So the "perps" aren't the researchers, are they? In fact, isn't it possible for there to be no perps at all? A perpetrator-less crime, perhaps...
Perhaps you need to rest a little. Undecided
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010, 10:54 PM by nik.)
You obviously have never been to Northern Ireland, Jazzroc and currently you live on a little sunny island and not in East Germany
oh...and there is always -- good old blighted as an e.g.

not at extreme at all. do you know the inner cities now at all?
and if you were witnessing the actual oblique resurgence of fascism like i am doing here in east germany. You wouldnt show your circus make up and say such things like "go and have a rest".. that makes you look like a fish filleter. But I am not fishy -- you are! see my joke ?

as for paedophilia --- 2 children raped and killed here in less than 5 years ---one a unfortunate death kid belonging to an arch nazi organising family--surely no nazis would do this thing--- in a post communist high rise right wing ghetto area here-- and they blamed it as targeted purim sacrifices.

so the "have a rest" fits nice and snug for you

basic oxygen process btw -- and sulphur in the sky becos they are crazy btw
as for paedophilia --- 2 kids in 4? years here ---one a unfortunate death kid belonging to an arch nazi organising family in a ghetto and they blamed it as targeted purim sacrifices.

so the "have a rest" fits nice and snug for you

basic oxygen process btw -- and sulphur in the sky becos they are crazy btw
08-23-2010, 10:52 PM,
(08-23-2010, 10:38 PM)nik Wrote: You obviously have never been to Northern Ireland, Jazzroc and currently you live on a little sunny island and not in East Germany
oh...and there is always -- good old blighted as an e.g. not at extreme at all. do you know the inner cities now at all?
I courted my wife in Bangor, Co. Down.
I have lived in Jurby, Ramsey, Barrow, Lytham, Ansdell, Southport, Liverpool, St. Asaph, Bodfari, Whitby, York, Blackpool, Cardiff, Sandwich, Lyneham, Waterbeach, Cambridge, Farnborough, Stafford, Hampstead, Mill Hill, Hatfield - in England and Hamm and Butzweilerhof in Germany.
I'm not really arguing with this thread - only with your heated response. Huh

08-23-2010, 11:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010, 11:19 PM by nik.)
simply--- if I strongly want to tell a scumbag nazi where to jump off I do not appreciate a so called anarcho syndaclist inteferring and making as per tions as to my judgement and level of verbal brutality.

"have a rest" -- hmm, "you have been awake to0 long" - words are words and through them honest and hateless people are trying to slog.

Such a swamp.But of course, it isnt the scientists ever to blame - - "mass" science never lies or engineers. it is just the proles who lie to themsleves and engineer theirs`' and everybodies' downfall.

as said, nazis out. if you read my words you will see that i sympathise with those who have been hoodwinked and target ultimately the meme propagators in the issue. "How ironic that is considering,no?..."(you synaptically bounce to as wit)
yes, Chapel st. --if only it hadnt been a marionette event in itself,why not?
i do know a number of those places and will state Whitby bay is special
nazis must never take Whitby bay, that was why. ciao
08-23-2010, 11:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010, 11:42 PM by JazzRoc.)
(08-23-2010, 11:02 PM)nik Wrote: simply--- if I strongly want to tell a scumbag nazi where to jump off I do not appreciate a so called anarcho syndaclist inteferring and casting aspersions upon my judgement and level of verbal brutality.
I don't know how you KNOW that.
Quote:"have a rest" -- hmm, "you have been awake to0 long" - words are words and through them honest and hateless people are trying to slog.
There was no desire beyond that to see you rested and content.
Quote:Such a swamp. But of course, it isnt the scientists ever to blame - - "mass" science never lies or engineers. it is just the proles who lie to themsleves and engineer theirs`' and everybodies' downfall.
It's almost always a tragedy of errors, and almost never a conspiracy with a single originator.
Quote:as said, nazis out. if you read my words you will see that i sympathise with those who have been hoodwinked and target ultimately the meme propagators in the issue. "How ironic that is considering,no?..."(you synaptically bounce to as wit).
Memes can propagate from the top down AND the bottom up.
Quote:yes, Chapel st. --if only it hadn't been a marionette event in itself, why not?
I was clinging on, but you lost me there... Icon_sad
08-23-2010, 11:28 PM,
sorry, i was thinking of Leeds-- i meant Cable street!!

ok, i will say-- thanks
08-23-2010, 11:47 PM,
(08-23-2010, 11:28 PM)nik Wrote: sorry, i was thinking of Leeds -- i meant Cable street!
Recent history is one of my weakest areas. If you went "science" in the late 50s (which I did), then History was the first subject you dropped. And, sadly, I had to drop Biology for Maths.
I thought Cable Street was in the East End...

Quote:ok, i will say-- thanks
You're welcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study Finds 1 in 3 Has RFID Chip Implanted - With or Without Knowing It April 4 1,037 07-10-2014, 02:14 AM
Last Post: April
  Advanced Seismic Warning System (2014) vagabonder 0 401 03-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Last Post: vagabonder
  Earthquake Prediction System April 0 483 03-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Last Post: April
  Enhancing Evolution: The Ethical Case for Making Better People macfadden 23 3,316 12-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Frank2
  Scientists plan to record people's dreams TriWooOx 0 670 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  Scientists call for a global nuclear renaissance in new study nik 1 1,193 08-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Last Post: JazzRoc
  Info commissioner finds saintly CRU crew guilty, Climategate row rumbles on h3rm35 5 1,739 08-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Last Post: JazzRoc
  Psychiatrist's Research Finds You Really Can Feel a Person's Stare yeti 8 1,871 04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Nokturnal
  Kindness Breeds More Kindness, Study Shows h3rm35 0 670 03-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  NASA finds water on moon April 3 1,249 11-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole