• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing Your First Self-Defense Handgun
08-07-2010, 01:14 AM,
Choosing Your First Self-Defense Handgun
http://www.completesurvivalist.com/handgun.pdf
10-19-2010, 03:21 PM,
RE: Choosing Your First Self-Defense Handgun
Good read, good info.

A comment about calibers. When selecting a handgun, select something that is very durable. Do your own research. Some may not know this, but there are some 9mm rounds that have the same physical momentum as .45 and there are some that are even more powerful. You would need a heavy barrel and given that, the gun would be more durable. This all depends on the type of hand gun. I prefer larger rounds. I like the 10mm, but the problem is that it CAN be hard to find, especially when you are talking about availability in a survival situation. They can be more expensive as well. The most common are 9mm, .40 and .45.
10-19-2010, 05:38 PM,
if you like 10 then stock now with plenty of casings, casings are often very cheep to buy i had one friend just recover used ones and it's worked for him, then drop the 2=300$ you'll need for a coin smelt and a press. both devices are small enough for travel, hell the smelt fits in ones pocket, and some swiss army knife knock off company makes it as an added blade in there unit, my friend has one but there was no company or lettering on it at all, we even popped it to look inside!

then pennies I'm sure will be available to be found hell they might even have value if we all go coin, but either way you'll have the proper mold in the smelter, melt the penny and let cool, you can easily make 4-6 of theses depending on local climate a night with one smelt...

then in survival sit you are good to go! either you can harvest gunpowder from other ammo, or learn how to make it it's only 3 ingredience and all of them can be made in the time after chaos... I used to go to a camp every summer where one weekend was city warrior survivalist and they taught and made the folks make a sample that had to work by the end of the weekend, they supplied the sulfur.

Personally for personal defense I'm more a fan of the trusty pistol griped double barrel shot gun, one side slug one side scatter Icon_biggrin If one's talking a gun fight...

I have become a bigger fan of tazers, and the sword/ axe combo was my past time after weapons of choice, but i'm a big guy so... i recently just had 4 tazers put in a faraday age, just in case...Icon_twisted
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
10-20-2010, 06:21 AM,
Shotguns are great, especially for beginners or people who do not have a lot of experience with guns. It is more than a great defense tool. They can be used for hunting and with all the different rounds, they are so versatile at handling a multitude of threats, plus, many people are intimidated by the racking of one.

As for 10mm, it is a great cartridge, but for a survival handgun, I would definitely go for something in 9mm or .45. A lot of people say that a pistol that is .45 would always win out over a 9 but consider the following. Pistols chambered in 9mm usually are lighter and can hold more rounds. Depending on the experience of the shooter, they can be more manageable and more accurate as well. The .45 has an obvious advantage in some places too. It is bigger. Some hot rounds even make it more powerful. Be sure to check if your handgun can handle those rounds though.

I chose 9mm or .45 for survival because let's say, there was a huge disaster, region wide, country wide, or even world wide. Where travel by car would be difficult, you would have to travel on bike (given the land would let you) or on foot. There is a limited amount of ammo a person can carry esp in a survival position because you also have to carry water, clothes, maybe tools and other stuff. That can get heavy after awhile. The best thing it to be mobile and swift, rather than large and slow. If there are dead people as a result of rioting and whatever disaster, if you need to defend yourself, if you find ammo on dead people or in someone's home. Chances are it will be 9mm or .45.

When I say "in someone's home", I am not advocating breaking into peoples houses or residence. If you are in need of supplies and nobody is living there anymore, make your own choice, but consider the consequences.

Anyways, the 9mm and .45, in my opinion can't be compared properly because they are different. In my opinion, they are equal, but different.
10-20-2010, 06:38 AM,
(10-19-2010, 03:21 PM)junebug0000 Wrote: I prefer larger rounds. I like the 10mm, but the problem is that it CAN be hard to find, especially when you are talking about availability in a survival situation. They can be more expensive as well.

Me and my S&W 1066 Smile

Cost of ammo Angry

11-27-2010, 08:54 PM,
Some 1911's have a .22 conversion kit. Kimber comes to mind.
luceo no uro
11-28-2010, 03:40 AM,
LOL True dat re the sound of the racking being big for the intimidate factor, and i agree the weight of ammo might be an issue but unless were talking zombies not everyone in the group needs be packing and if your group, then supplies can be mixed bundles with each carrying a few boxes of shells.

if your nifty enough to make your own shells remember to make them color coded by type or risk using a slug to shoot a rabbit and have no dinner that night... well i guess you could scrap some bigger chunks off the surrounding trees, but it's hell of a lot easier to just use scatter and pick out some pelletsIcon_biggrin.

on the note re invading abandoned homes i suggest one be extra careful as a home that looks abandoned may not. The best defense is a good camouflage for stationary folks. a home with a cement floor over the basement can be torched leaving the basement livable and the top looking foreboding. If possible raid stores and warehouses over homes, and just because it's chaos don't lose your manners knock if you do encounter a home if no one answers fine but your not surprising them forcing them to act out without communication,

and last off... bike as means of travel A+ and boats, and horse if live stock makes it and one is trained how to ride, though i believe like swimming ridding is a skill that one should not live without. Even an afternoon novice crash course could be the difference between making it to your far off destination and being forced to walk there (risking further attack).

Collect skills now as well as goodies, as there won't be a lot of teachers in the time after.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
12-08-2010, 02:55 AM,
Check out this blog over here:

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/search/label/Firearms

A lot of information about choosing a survival handgun.
12-13-2010, 08:16 PM,
i prefer the power of the mind and reason. Apparently im still alive. mutual benefit beats mutual destruction. ill always say this i dont care for your primitive weapons. force brings on a bigger force.
12-13-2010, 10:41 PM,
(12-13-2010, 08:16 PM)rsol Wrote: i prefer the power of the mind and reason. Apparently im still alive. mutual benefit beats mutual destruction. ill always say this i dont care for your primitive weapons. force brings on a bigger force.

Sounds great and inspirational, but not practical in terms of survival.
You're alive now. I imagine in a nice quiet rural area, maybe the burbs, perhaps in a major city where all is pretty good at the moment. But without the means to properly protect yourself, especially in a nuclear aftermath/apocolyptic collapse/war scenerio, you could very easily become dead, and quick. And thats just the worst ideas imaginable. It could just as easily be some desperate person climbing into your window at night looking for something that will get him his next meal/drug fix or what have you.
Dont get me wrong, the power of the mind and reason are just prerequisites needed for survival. In fact, reasoning suggests having a handgun or any other firearm in case of a survival situation is paramount, far from primitive.

"Listen to everyone, read everything, believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research"
~William Cooper

DTTNWO!
12-14-2010, 12:19 AM,
i live in north london cheers. ive lived in hackney, peckham. not exactly nice places. ive had knives pulled on me. never been robbed, never been hurt. war is when diplomacy fails. plus a few self defence lessonsSmile
12-14-2010, 05:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2010, 05:21 AM by SergeTruth.)
Deleted...
12-14-2010, 05:55 AM,
(12-14-2010, 12:19 AM)rsol Wrote: i live in north london cheers. ive lived in hackney, peckham. not exactly nice places. ive had knives pulled on me. never been robbed, never been hurt. war is when diplomacy fails. plus a few self defence lessonsSmile

Everyone has a right to self-defense and those who choose to exercise it may benefit from a good gun.
12-16-2010, 02:53 PM,
Self defense lessons only go so far. Most engagements with guns happen inside 100 yards (92m). For someone like me, who was in the military, I know that if I have a gun and the other person doesn't my best friend is distance. If the person who is holding you at gun point is a moron, then he might get close to you (within arms reach) then you have a chance at disarming that person. However, if there is a distance of 10 feet, it is too far to defend yourself and the guy with the gun is close enough that even a novice should be able to kill you. So be wise in self defense.
12-16-2010, 08:34 PM,
(12-14-2010, 12:19 AM)rsol Wrote: i live in north london cheers. ive lived in hackney, peckham. not exactly nice places. ive had knives pulled on me. never been robbed, never been hurt. war is when diplomacy fails. plus a few self defence lessonsSmile

I see what youre saying and I understand what you mean, but I think we're talking about two different situations.
Self defense lessons will only get you so far when/if you have to protect any family or even your essential supplies/food items from any gang of rioters/looters/criminals.
Unless you're Chuck Norris Icon_biggrin
"Listen to everyone, read everything, believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research"
~William Cooper

DTTNWO!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prepare For Your Defense hilly7 1 819 12-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Last Post: cointelpro