Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experienced Marijuana Consumers Exhibit Virtually No Change In Cognitive Task Perform
07-09-2010, 04:45 AM,
Experienced Marijuana Consumers Exhibit Virtually No Change In Cognitive Task Perform
Quote:Experienced Marijuana Consumers Exhibit Virtually No Change In Cognitive Task Performance After Smoking, Study Says

New York, NY:
Experienced marijuana consumers exhibit nominal changes in cognitive performance after inhaling cannabis, according to clinical trial data published online this week in the journal Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behavior.

Investigators at Columbia University in New York and the San Francisco Brain Research Institute assessed acute marijuana-related effects on cognitive functioning in 24 volunteers who reported consuming the drug at least 24 times per week.

Researchers determined that participants' overall performance accuracy on episodic memory and working memory tasks "was not significantly altered by marijuana."

Authors concluded: "The present findings show that smoked marijuana produced minimal effects on episodic and spatial working memory of near-daily smokers. The overall response accuracy on the word recognition and working memory tasks was unaffected by marijuana, although smoked marijuana did increase the amount of time participants needed to complete these tasks.

"This pattern of effects is consistent with results previously reported by other researchers studying the acute effects of marijuana on cognitive performance of regular users. ... The finding ... stands in contrast to previous findings in occasional smokers who showed reduced accuracy on these same tasks after marijuana. ... The observation that frequent users' response accuracy is not altered after marijuana smoking to the same extent it is for infrequent users ... suggests that near-daily marijuana smokers may have developed tolerance to some marijuana-related behavioral effects."

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the study, "Neurophysiological and cognitive effects of smoked marijuana in frequent users," will appear in Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behavior.
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
07-09-2010, 04:06 PM,
RE: Experienced Marijuana Consumers Exhibit Virtually No Change In Cognitive Task Perform
First off I'd like for the record to state I'm a chronic! those who know me on here know that! but i have to refute the study, being a toker for past 15 years daily (every day no shortage in canadaLOL and we got strong stuff)

I have found from when i was younger to now i do forget lots not just where i put a tool while working but if i did something like lock a door or not, always going back to check, and for referencing i need to actually get the book or movie out to quote/ notate...

Then there is people, hell i run into women i've slept with 10 years back and can't remember there names?!?!!? Or guys i played hockey/ went to school with and they some times recognize me but not i them, often they recognize my name then ask. i play along to not hurt there feelings (most times) but in truth i have no clue who they may be!

maybe there right bout building up a tolerance but i know i was much quicker on the ball, and retained a hell of a lot more b4 i switched alcohol for weed, and thinner too... but thats another post!
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
07-15-2010, 03:17 AM,
RE: Experienced Marijuana Consumers Exhibit Virtually No Change In Cognitive Task Perform
I coulda told them most of this stuff 15 years ago if they'd asked. Hell, many thousands of people HAVE been telling them all this and more for decades.

I had a pretty crappy memory before I started toking though, mostly for stuff I don't consider all that important. Stuff that matters to me I do remember reasonably well. We won't get into details on that, suffice to say I don't agree with all that many people on what types of things are or aren't important.

(07-09-2010, 04:06 PM)Deathanyl Wrote: i run into women i've slept with 10 years back and can't remember there names?!?!!?

Dude, I don't remember the name of the chick I slept with last weekend, but I'm only about 85% sure she told me in the first place. I'm pretty sure I'd remember it if I wanted to do her again though.

“I'm not from earth. I'm here on a research project. I'm preparing a paper on the psychosomatic ailments of pre-Apocalyptic condominium dwellers.”
-Sappho, Ash Ock

The Mushrooms once said to me "You must have a plan. If you don't have a plan, you will become part of someone else's plan."
-Terence McKenna
07-15-2010, 05:52 AM,
(07-15-2010, 03:17 AM)scaramanga667 Wrote: I coulda told them most of this stuff 15 years ago if they'd asked. Hell, many thousands of people HAVE been telling them all this and more for decades.

I had a pretty crappy memory before I started toking though, mostly for stuff I don't consider all that important. Stuff that matters to me I do remember reasonably well. We won't get into details on that, suffice to say I don't agree with all that many people on what types of things are or aren't important.

(07-09-2010, 04:06 PM)Deathanyl Wrote: i run into women i've slept with 10 years back and can't remember there names?!?!!?

Dude, I don't remember the name of the chick I slept with last weekend, but I'm only about 85% sure she told me in the first place. I'm pretty sure I'd remember it if I wanted to do her again though.

LOLshit classic! Def a worthy point, as some of the folks i encounter but don't remember r def not worth remembering
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information The Globalist agenda behind Marijuana Legalization FastTadpole 12 2,348 02-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Last Post: thokling
  Israel debates legalizing medical marijuana mothandrust 2 709 12-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Last Post: mothandrust
  Uruguay: Lawmakers Authorize Marijuana Production And Sales Easy Skanking 8 1,548 12-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Last Post: pax681
Smile U.S. allows states to legalize recreational marijuana within limits Easy Skanking 4 1,125 09-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Last Post: thokling
  United Nations threatens Colorado, Washington state over marijuana decriminalization Easy Skanking 0 805 11-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Colorado’s War on Medical Marijuana h3rm35 1 925 11-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Last Post: CSIWEMBLEY
  Colorado legalizes marijuana for anyone over 21 April 2 891 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
  2012: Historic Year for Marijuana Reform on the Ballot h3rm35 31 5,176 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Swordfish
  Swat team shoots ex-marine 71 Times in Marijuana raid – No Marijuana found April 1 1,004 09-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal Easy Skanking 2 1,497 07-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Last Post: DanRicheson