Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US authorities shutdown websites accused of movie piracy
07-02-2010, 03:42 AM,
The Register®

Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/01/us_movie_piracy_crackdown/

'Sheriff, this is no time to panic'

By Kelly Fiveash

Posted in Policing, 1st July 2010 12:05 GMT

Free whitepaper – The Register Guide to Enterprise Virtualization

US feds and customs officials shut down seven websites yesterday, for allegedly hosting pirated copies of popular Hollywood films and TV shows.

The net seizures came just one week after the White House announced its enforcement plan for confronting theft of intellectual property.

US authorities have accused (pdf) [1] the sites of movie piracy and said that films such as Toy Story 3 were being offered free to users of the websites.

A Manhattan federal court issued warrants on behalf of the US attorney for the Southern District of New York that demanded the closure of seven sites: TVshack.net, Movies-Links.tv, FilesPump.com, Now-Movies.com, PlanetMoviez.com, ThePirateCity.org and ZML.com.

Six of the websites were described by the attorney’s office as “linking” sites that give access to portals where “pirated movies and television programs are stored”.

ZML.com was described as a “cyberlocker” that allegedly stored pirated films and TV shows which were made available for users to download.

“Criminal copyright infringement occurs on a massive scale over the internet, and reportedly results in billions of dollars in losses to the US economy. That translates into lost jobs and real hardships for ordinary working people,” said US attorney Preet Bharara, in justifying the action.

“If your business model is movie piracy, your story will not have a happy ending.”

His office said it would request that the domain names for the seized websites be forfeited. ®
Links

1. http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pressreleases/June10/websitedomainnameseizurepr.pdf
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
07-02-2010, 03:54 AM,
RE: US authorities shutdown websites accused of movie piracy
I saw this earlier today but they didn't list the ones they took down. I went looking and didn't notice any taken down. I guess because I've never heard of any of those that I didn't know what they were talking about.
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
07-02-2010, 04:05 AM,
I hadn't heard of them either. I don't believe they were torrent sites, I think they were either direct-download or linked to them...

getting a little too close for comfort though.
07-02-2010, 04:11 AM,
And that is the biggest reason that we don't allow fiction (aka Hollywood) or music. It keeps us under their radar.
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
07-02-2010, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2010, 06:32 AM by Nokturnal.)
I'm pretty sure they were direct streaming sites. I know for sure that one such site was, it was still up after the report and I'm sure the feds are keeping them up to collect any IPs they come across; old or new.
07-02-2010, 06:54 AM,
the "internet kill switch" option has just been successfully passed into legislation within the US?

Glad Concen is based not the US tbh.
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM,
I really don't think that's happened yet... as far as I know it's still in committee, and remains a gleam in Lieberman's eye.
07-02-2010, 04:10 PM,
Anyone notice the term "Intellectual Property"? What are they describing here? It can't be movies and television since they don't fall anywhere near the description of INTELLECTUAL.

The sites are totally unfamiliar. My guess is that they are throwing out these names to see what will happen. If nothing happens then they will step up to the next more familiar sites. And on and on it will go until they get to the ones everyone uses. And it won't stop with "Intellectual Property". That is the excuse. Soon enough it will be information of any kind that goes against the regime. Don't worry though they will define what that is. And I am sure it will change moment to moment.

You have til the end of the year to get your shit together people. When the first of the year gets here that is when everything will come down hard and those who are screwing around and not taking things seriously are the ones who are going to feel it the worst.

Just my personal opinion - nothing to be alarmed by.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

07-02-2010, 04:31 PM,
direct surf the channel has been down for like 3 days now it's very popular, and streams vids. you can still back door through other sites like cast tv , but i don't even watch normal tv anymore Sad guess i'll be new show illiterate if they close off these sites as i'm a seasonal watcher and hate commercials
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AMC movie theater calls “federal agents” JFK 6 2,110 01-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Last Post: JFK
  Filesharing site revealed to be anti-piracy ‘honeypot pax681 2 1,466 10-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Last Post: thokling
Exclamation “Six Strikes” Anti-Piracy (p2p) Scheme starts Nov 2012 ZeroCenter 0 849 11-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Last Post: ZeroCenter
  Web Sites Accused of Collecting Data on Children h3rm35 0 711 08-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Internet piracy appeal fee challenged by Consumer Focus TriWooOx 0 765 06-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  UK queen accused of drug trafficking FastTadpole 2 1,585 04-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Last Post: sitra11ahra
  Obama Administration Pressures ISPs To Censor Websites dicktater 2 1,758 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Last Post: rsol
  US Government seizure of the internet has begun; DHS takes over 76 websites h3rm35 3 2,299 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  The UK High Court has accused Business Secretary of refusing to ban us execution drug h3rm35 0 878 11-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  U.S. Authorities Shut Down WordPress Host With 73,000 Blogs dicktater 14 4,597 11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole