Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flying car to roll out Q4 2011
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM,
flying car to roll out Q4 2011
Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/29/terrafugia_transition_weight_exemption/
Flying car gets helpful road-kit weight exemption from feds

Terrafugia gets headroom for airbags, crumple zones etc

By Lewis Page

Posted in Science, 29th June 2010 09:24 GMT

The Terrafugia Transition, closest thing to a flying car yet built, has received a unique exemption from the US government allowing production models to be 110 pounds heavier than a normal "light sport aircraft". This will permit the car/plane combo to satisfy safety requirements when driving on roads.
The Terrafugia Transition flies
[Image: transition_flies.jpg]
Now with airbags.

The Transition has been under development by startup firm Terrafugia, founded by flying-enthusiast MIT engineers, since 2006. It is basically a normal light single-engined plane with folding wings and a more substantial, four-wheeled undercarriage.

With wings folded a Transition can be driven on roads at normal highway speeds. On reaching an airport - or a suitable bit of private land, with the owner's permission - it can extend the wings and make a normal rolling takeoff to cruise the skies at 115mph.

On landing, the usual hassles with finding hangar or tiedown space and getting a cab or hire car onward to one's destination don't apply. The Transition simply drives out of the aerodrome gate and parks wherever it's going - fitting in a standard size garage if one is available.

If bad weather should close in before the return journey - a constant worry for private pilots who don't possess instrument ratings - no matter. The Transition can simply drive home.

Handily, the plane-car was originally designed to fit within a weight limit of 1320 lb, meaning that it could qualify as a "light sport" aircraft. A US light sport pilot's licence is significantly easier and cheaper to get than a normal private ticket, requiring only 20 hours logged, and red tape is lessened.

However it seems that in fact it was proving very difficult to fit mandatory road-safety features such as crumple zones, airbags and a structural cage around the passenger compartment into the 1320lb weight limit. Sportingly, the FAA have now agreed that the Transition, uniquely, can have another 110lb of leeway and still count as a light-sport plane.

Terrafugia originally planned to commence deliveries of production aircraft last year, but in the event got only as far as test flights of a "proof of concept" prototype. This was mothballed after 28 flights, however, and the firm then said it would build a "beta prototype" which it now refers to as the "production prototype". Graphics of this - though not an actual airframe - are to be revealed at this summer's OshKosh air show.

The company hopes now to commence customer deliveries in "Q4 2011", and says that more than 70 aircraft have been ordered. The deposits are held in escrow, and thus will be refunded even if Terrafugia should go out of business or suffer some other disaster.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
06-29-2010, 09:03 PM,
RE: flying car to roll out Q4 2011
Flying car? It looks more like a plane you could drive on the streets.
"Politics is the conspiracy of the unproductive but organized against the productive but unorganized." - Joseph Sobran
06-29-2010, 09:06 PM,
(06-29-2010, 09:03 PM)zabestof Wrote: Flying car? It looks more like a plane you could drive on the streets.
wouldn't that make it a flying car?
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM,
(06-29-2010, 09:06 PM)h3rm35 Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 09:03 PM)zabestof Wrote: Flying car? It looks more like a plane you could drive on the streets.

Well, not really. Maybe a walking plane Smile
"Politics is the conspiracy of the unproductive but organized against the productive but unorganized." - Joseph Sobran
06-29-2010, 11:17 PM,
(06-29-2010, 09:13 PM)zabestof Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 09:06 PM)h3rm35 Wrote:

Well, not really. Maybe a walking plane Smile

LOL

but this is not the only one just the newest, there was some german company a decade a go that built 3 prototypes all red, they were as wide as a wide load though so not for all roadways... but looked way cooler then this one.

and i have a friend obsessed with flying cars, he was using a fiberglass sprint and compression folding type wings, he could get the car off the ground but not by much.... last i hear he had moved on to mercedes new smart car the 2-4, it's like 1/2 the weight almost of the sprint.

prob is getting them licenced, think of the freedom of being in a flying car while cops r stuck on the ground.... i'd even have a folding down plate with a sticker saying "catch me if you can"| lol. there cool but not something were going to get to enjoy, especially since were going to be moving off fossil fuels and batteries r heavy even gel ones... and the safety issues associated the ins would be totally crazy, and at only 115 mph thats like super slow the average jet in canada fly's me cross from ottawa to edmonton in like 4 hr, @ say 500 mils /hr average so it would take me maybe 12 hrs less then driving based on winds and there direction.... not very practical.

JMO from one who commutes long distances a lot... but interesting story to follow.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
06-29-2010, 11:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2010, 11:31 PM by h3rm35.)
Quote:but this is not the only one just the newest, there was some german company a decade a go that built 3 prototypes all red, they were as wide as a wide load though so not for all roadways... but looked way cooler then this one.
There have been others but this one actually has a timetable for mass production roll-out and is both street legal and "light sport" approved. cool stuff. I want one.
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM by scaramanga667.)
I always had a soft spot for the Moller skycar that used to be talked about years ago. /sigh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moller_Skycar_M400

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElS9BKSsezw

“I'm not from earth. I'm here on a research project. I'm preparing a paper on the psychosomatic ailments of pre-Apocalyptic condominium dwellers.”
-Sappho, Ash Ock

The Mushrooms once said to me "You must have a plan. If you don't have a plan, you will become part of someone else's plan."
-Terence McKenna
07-12-2010, 10:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM by h3rm35.)
I want one of these too.
video: http://www.parajetautomotive.com/experience_skycar/category/skycar_video/
[Image: skycar.jpg]
Parajet Skycar The First Mainstream Flying Car

August 25, 2009

I don’t think a day passes without me finding myself bumper to bumper inching along stuck in the inevitable traffic jam of the daily commute. I also don’t think a day passes without me willing my car with all my might to leap into the air and soar heroically above the honking horns and billowing exhaust of my fellow commuters, sadly it hasn’t happened, yet.

Parajet have taken this fantastic dream and ran no… flown with it.

The Parajet Skycar is a two seater, road legal, all terrain vehicle which runs of bio fuel, produces zero emissions and oh yeah it can fly.

Simplicity is the key to its design. It works in a similar way to paramotor. A large propeller running off the engine and a ‘parafoil’ wing provide lift. In drive mode the wing is folded into the boot and drive is transferred from the propeller to the wheels. This simple setup means the car is cheap, safe and reliable.

An emergency reserve parachute is included should the wing become unattached or a mid-air collision occur, always good to know.

In ‘Road Mode’ it has a top speed of 180 kmph 0–100 kmph in 4.5 seconds, rear wheel drive and a range of 400 km. In ‘Fly Mode’ a top speed of 110 kmph, a maximum altitude of 15,000 ft, a cruising altitude of 2000-3000 ft and a top speed of 110 kmph.

So if you find yourself looking to spend £50,000 you can purchase a flying car today, and fly it next year.
07-20-2010, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2010, 05:49 PM by JazzRoc.)
I reckon THIS beats a motorbike:

I hope there's space to store absorbent materials inside this thing...
09-06-2010, 09:39 PM,
thats not a flying car! its a driving plane!!

jaz thats just a very small chopper Smile

Wheres the real antigrav stuff?? !!! i love that!

Please no graviton physics pleaseSmile
09-09-2010, 10:17 PM,
(09-06-2010, 09:39 PM)rsol Wrote: thats not a flying car! its a driving plane!! jaz thats just a very small chopper
Wheres the real antigrav stuff?? !!! i love that! Please no graviton physics please/
I don't think it can drive at all. It seems possible and neat. If it goes wrong at low level you're dead. Its control electronics need to be multiply redundant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Researchers use spoofing to 'hack' into a flying drone TriWooOx 4 1,316 06-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
Information Call for Action :: DNA Day - Online Public Debate / Q&A with Experts April 15th, 2011 FastTadpole 0 540 04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Ancient indian flying machine video? turtlepete 3 1,349 02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Last Post: turtlepete
  Loremo: 2-liter-car by the end of 2011 Solve et Coagula 1 1,766 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Last Post: mastermg
  Chemtrails from strange flying object TeslaandLyne 54 7,137 10-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Last Post: JazzRoc
  Flying saucer that can plant explosives or bugs set for frontline TriWooOx 1 785 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Flying Saucers go into production - get yours for 49k (BP) waxzy 3 848 08-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ephilution
  X-hawk Fancraft Like Blade Runner Flying Car? pizzaman777 0 1,245 02-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Last Post: pizzaman777
  Hitachi: Commercial Mind-machine Interface By 2011 waxzy 0 573 11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Last Post: waxzy