Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holly shit ottawa canada just had earth quake!!!!
06-23-2010, 06:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2010, 06:53 PM by Deathaniel.)
Holly shit ottawa canada just had earth quake!!!!
1:42 on my comp i was on the site and my whole f'n house in a non quake zone was shaking. i took my kid up stairs thinking it was my furnace, and then went out side to feel it was a quake you got it any other ottawa folks?!!!

wife just called from st piux high school and they evacuated building as wall cracked, and shook so must have been at least some thing the MSM should get now, but con cen had it first lol 1:53
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
06-23-2010, 07:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2010, 07:12 PM by 52595.)
RE: Holly shit ottawa canada just had earth quake!!!!
Yah man, I'm at work and we felt it bad in Toronto.

Cool stuff.

Apparently it was around a 5.5
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

Notice the big red box top right on the NA map.

Seems odd doesn't it? First an earthquake, now Toronto's in line for some serious tornados this afternoon/evening.
06-23-2010, 09:26 PM,
I'm just north of Albany NY and I felt it before it happened. I had a really wierd sensation go up my back and my neck hair raised up. Then my 55lb moniter started rocking back and forth. For about a half hour I thought I was nuts. Then the USGS listed the quake.
06-23-2010, 10:08 PM,
i have been warning for past 6 mths that this kind of shit will be come more common as things i space get closer and we move close to the galactic center, were in for some real devastating shit. just didn't expect ottawa to be in the path of an earthquake. and 5.5 sounds big, i've been down south during a 6 and it felt way worse. i guestimated it at like 3.5 4 max to wife when she asked me but i'm not from CA where i'm a built in richter scale Icon_biggrin

but it's the only thing i've heard about when i went to pick up my kids and then get gas.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
06-24-2010, 03:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2010, 03:18 AM by ToddTraf.)
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-canadian-quake-effects-20100623,0,4487577.story

The quake struck at 1:41 p.m, and the temblor was felt in Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and several other states, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. No injuries or damage was reported locally. The effects could be felt 600 miles away because of the features of the terrain of the East Coast

Randy Lancaster was at his desk when the computer monitor began to wobble and the floor of his Bowie office building started to sway. He and his colleagues jumped from their seats, scanning hallways and peering out fourth-floor windows.

They suspected furniture movers or high winds, but the cause was more unusual: an earthquake. Had they known, Lancaster said, the group of ITT Corp. engineers "probably would have run out of the building."

Lancaster was among the many Marylanders to report feeling the effects of a 5.0-magnitude quake with an epicenter near Ottawa that sent shockwaves along the East Coast on Wednesday.

The quake struck at 1:41 p.m, and the temblor was felt in Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and several other states, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. No injuries or damage was reported locally.

The effects could be felt 600 miles away in the Baltimore region because of the features of the terrain of the East Coast, said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist with the USGS's National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo.

Tremors are carried through the rigid rock crests of the region, he said, and it was possible that Marylanders experienced more than half the force generated by the quake. People who felt the quake, including several from Maryland, flooded an agency website that asks users to share their stories.

"A magnitude 5.0 is 1,000 times more energy than a magnitude 3.0," Blakeman said. "I definitely would give credit to those reports."

Based on information provided by Marylanders, the impact of the quake locally was classified as a 3 on the Modified Mercalli Intensity ranking system that categorizes effects on a scale ranging from 1 (no impact felt) to 12 (near total damage with objects tossed in the air). A 3 ranking is the equivalent to a truck's passing and can be felt more on upper floors of buildings.

Hillary Crystal of Owings Mills said she was the only person to feel the tremors in her office on Kenilworth Avenue in Towson. She said she thought she was growing ill until news reports confirmed her suspicion that the rumblings in her stomach were caused by the quake.

"I was sitting at my desk, and at first I felt like I was a little dizzy, like my equilibrium was off," Crystal said. "When I heard somebody else say it was an earthquake, I said, 'OK, I'm not crazy.' "

Rebecca Teaff of Towson said she felt the tremors during her acupuncture appointment in Towson. "I thought it was more refreshing than usual," Teaff said. "It was funny. I told my acupuncturist afterward that I felt more energized."

In the Canadian capital, 33 miles from the epicenter, Sen. Lowell Murray said that the huge chandeliers in the upper chamber of Parliament began swaying during a debate on energy issues.

"Initially we thought it might have been an airplane crashing into the building," Murray said. "But we were standing around wondering what was going on. And I quickly realized it was an earthquake. And then everybody started shouting, 'Out, out, out.' "

New York City officials said police received emergency calls from all over the city about shaking buildings, but there were no reports of damage.

Quake activity in the Mid-Atlantic is relatively mild, and it is not unprecedented for an earthquake based in Canada to be felt here. A September 1944 earthquake in the St. Lawrence River region reached Maryland and Pennsylvania, according to the USGS.

In November 1935, an earthquake near Timiskaming was felt in Chestertown at a 4.0 magnitude, and Annapolis, Baltimore, Bel Air, Cumberland, Frederick, Hancock, Havre De Grace, Laurel, and Westminster at an intensity of 3.0 magnitude or lower, according to a USGS Maryland earthquake history report. A 7.0 earthquake that hit near the St. Lawrence Bay River region of Canada in February 1925 was felt slightly in Baltimore.

Brenda Spiker of Dundalk said she felt the trembles in her Roseland office building and thought it was a heavy walker or a bus going by. Next time she feels her chair shaking, she said, she hopes it will be one of the two.

"This is my first time feeling an earthquake," she said. "And if I don't feel another one for the rest of my life, that will be OK by me."

erica.green@baltsun.com

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Los Angeles Quake Before June 3 2013 shortwave 0 693 05-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Last Post: shortwave
  Mother Earth being killed by parasiites mexika 0 489 04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Last Post: mexika
  7.7 Quake in Iran and 5 Quakes in Oklahoma shortwave 0 619 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Last Post: shortwave
  Closest asteroid in recorded history to pass Earth Frank2 0 506 11-23-2012, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Frank2
  Do you see a pattern on food files at Health Canada under Leona Aglukkaq? icosaface 0 796 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Last Post: icosaface
  Leaked Rio+20 Earth Summit Final Agreed Text – Utterly Inadequate Response to Global mexika 1 753 06-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Last Post: nwo2012
  The Amazing Story Of The Oldest Man On Earth: He Lived 256 Years zoverload 0 1,653 04-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Last Post: zoverload
  Sacrificing the Earth over Greed mexika 0 575 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Last Post: mexika
  Fukushima radiation in Canada was worse than Canadian officials ever let on yeti 0 978 10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Last Post: yeti
  Canada – $6b to cut global temps by 0.0007°C. Just $84Trillion per degree! icosaface 1 794 10-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Last Post: nwo2012