Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientist 'infected' with computer virus
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM,
Scientist 'infected' with computer virus
Quote:Dr Mark Gasson, of the University of Reading, said the device was programmed with a virus which could transfer itself to other electronic systems it came in contact with.

Any other chips that interacted with the infected systems would also contract the virus, he said, raising the possibility that in the future, advanced medical devices such as pacemakers could become vulnerable to cyber attacks.

Dr Gasson's chip, a refined version of the ID chips used to track animals, has been programmed to open security doors for him and to unlock his mobile phone automatically.

The results allegedly prove the principle that in future, human implants like this could contaminate increasingly complex medical devices such as pacemakers and cochlear implants.

Dr Gasson told BBC News: "With the benefits of this type of technology come risks. We may improve ourselves in some way but much like the improvements with other technologies, mobile phones for example, they become vulnerable to risks, such as security problems and computer viruses."

Implanted technology has become increasingly common in the United States, where medical alert bracelets can be scanned to bring up a patient's medical history.

Professor Rafael Capurro, of the Steinbeis-Transfer-Institute of Information Ethics in Germany, added: "If someone can get online access to your implant, it could be serious.

"From an ethical point of view, the surveillance of implants can be both positive and negative. Surveillance can be part of medical care, but if someone wants to do harm to you, it could be a problem."

Dr Gasson, however, said technology with surveillance capabilities could in future become widely used for non-medical purposes.

He said: "If we can find a way of enhancing someone's memory or their IQ then there's a real possibility that people will choose to have this kind of invasive procedure."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7766627/Scientist-infected-with-computer-virus.html
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall. - Che Guevara

Resistance Films Youtube Channel

TriWooOx Podcast
05-26-2010, 10:53 AM,
RE: Scientist 'infected' with computer virus
expected but startling. thanks for the info
05-26-2010, 06:17 PM,
I was disappointed that British scientists are doing such silly experiments while other countries are doing a lot more.
06-11-2010, 02:20 PM,
They won't get a chip in me. NO. FUCKING. WAY. EVER!

“I'm not from earth. I'm here on a research project. I'm preparing a paper on the psychosomatic ailments of pre-Apocalyptic condominium dwellers.”
-Sappho, Ash Ock

The Mushrooms once said to me "You must have a plan. If you don't have a plan, you will become part of someone else's plan."
-Terence McKenna
06-14-2010, 07:08 PM,
But how could you get a virus on your pacemaker if you have no contact with an infected device? I mean the pacemakers don't have bluetooth (lol), wifi, IR or any kind of communication implemented.
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM,
(06-14-2010, 07:08 PM)zabestof Wrote: But how could you get a virus on your pacemaker if you have no contact with an infected device? I mean the pacemakers don't have bluetooth (lol), wifi, IR or any kind of communication implemented.

ahh an intelligent ? someone who understands through the hype Icon_biggrin

hope i see more post from you
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
06-15-2010, 02:44 PM,
As for pacemakers -- not yet. I could see it getting sold off as a trouble alert for emergencies or a medical monitor to assist doctors.

Another access point would be the smart grid. The new Energy Star appliances will be equipped with broadband. Getting a virus from your toaster is within the realm of possibility.

Quote:They won't get a chip in me. NO. FUCKING. WAY. EVER!

I drew a hard line at cell phones. The people are kidding themselves if they think they aren't chipped already. Your cell phone can be monitored (audio and video if you have it), ping your GPS coordinates, get hacked, contain financial information, it's linked with the "know your customer" program, any online data gets carnivored and it causes tumours. Millions of CCTVs, hi-res satellites, an fleet drones ready to launch, our computers, our bank cards, your TV (it has eyes and ears), our customer cards, your car (and not just OnStar - check behind your airbag) and RFID (they can be reactivated) on pretty much any consumer product you can buy. Not to mention neighbourhood snoops and the ever growing military / police / inspector / security contingent whose paid to watch and keep you in line with your money.

The only things that they might want is direct access to the hypothalamus via a chip so they have a more direct path to influence our minds and engineer our emotions.

A similar effect can be achieved with a combination of drugs, certain frequencies (HAARP?), TV influence and social programming/engineering.

We are being treated like farm animals. How long will people, starting with you and I, put up with this abusive relationship playing the role of the banking elite's bitches? People are so far removed from real freedom they don't even know what it truly encompasses.
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
06-16-2010, 10:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2010, 10:44 AM by Shinobi.)
When it comes to technology, we have come so far. So far that almost every minute, there are new discoveries and inventions that emerge. I am not against technology because I am aware the benefits that we can gain from it. But technically, we should also be aware of the disadvantages that it brings. As what has been mentioned, the risk is everywhere. There is no impossible when we say science. Say for instance the recent news that there are genetic engineers who have created an artificial life using DNA. This leads to both hopes for beneficial new technology and fear of bioterrorism. It’s something that might be difficult to understand especially if you don’t agree with this kind of things. For me, there’s nothing wrong with it but we should not place it on a hurry and use it on good things.

Spam Link Removed :iC1:
07-15-2010, 05:19 PM,
(06-15-2010, 01:12 PM)Deathanyl Wrote:
(06-14-2010, 07:08 PM)zabestof Wrote: But how could you get a virus on your pacemaker if you have no contact with an infected device? I mean the pacemakers don't have bluetooth (lol), wifi, IR or any kind of communication implemented.
Hm. Me too.
07-15-2010, 06:04 PM,
(07-15-2010, 05:19 PM)JazzRoc Wrote:
(06-15-2010, 01:12 PM)Deathanyl Wrote:
Hm. Me too.

WOW!!!! J-roc agreeing with me, And here I thought he thought I was crazy....Icon_biggrin
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
07-15-2010, 06:58 PM,
(07-15-2010, 06:04 PM)Deathanyl Wrote: WOW!!!! J-roc agreeing with me, And here I thought he thought I was crazy....Icon_biggrin
I don't AUTOMATICALLY disagree with you. I was surprised, too. Smile
07-20-2010, 03:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM by Easy Skanking.)
How could this be possible? I don't really get it...anyway, viruses are quite dangerous not only the human viruses but also computer viruses that act pretty much the same as human viruses. I protect my Pc against those intruders by using Kaspersky. I am really satisfied with it. Smile
07-20-2010, 08:19 PM,
You can PM me if that wasn't a spam link....
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new computer monitor RaFTertheONE 3 1,687 02-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Last Post: RaFTertheONE
  Scientist seeks surrogate mother for Neanderthal baby April 27 5,537 02-15-2013, 05:35 AM
Last Post: Frank2
  NASA Scientist’s Quest To Prove We’re All Trapped Inside A Video Game drummer 10 4,410 02-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Valthrax
Shocked WTF? Japan scientist synthesizes meat from human feces yeti 20 10,529 11-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
Exclamation Climategate U-turn as scientist at centre of row admits: There has been no global war joeblow 6 2,896 05-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Pioneer Scientist Researching RF Cancer Treatment Murdered FastTadpole 1 1,256 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Psychic 'mind-reading' computer will show your thoughts on screen TriWooOx 2 1,527 11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Last Post: April
  Italian scientist reproduces Shroud of Turin Weyland 0 674 10-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Weyland
  Immortality only 20 years away says scientist TriWooOx 2 1,042 09-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Last Post: scaramanga667
  DNA computer 'answers questions' TriWooOx 0 954 08-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx