Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook founder called trusting users dumb f*cks
05-14-2010, 09:34 PM,
Facebook founder called trusting users dumb f*cks
Posted in Music and Media, 14th May 2010 11:33 GMT

Loveable Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg called his first few thousand users "dumb fucks" for trusting him with their data, published IM transcripts show. Facebook hasn't disputed the authenticity of the transcript.

Zuckerberg was chatting with an unnamed friend, apparently in early 2004. Business Insider, which has a series of quite juicy anecdotes about Facebook's early days, takes the credit for this one.

The exchange apparently ran like this:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks

The founder was then 19, and he may have been joking. But humour tells you a lot. Some might say that this exchange shows Zuckerberg was not particularly aware of the trust issue in all its depth and complexity.

Facebook is currently in the spotlight for its relentlessly increasing exposure of data its users assumed was private. This is nicely illustrated in the interactive graphic you can find here or by clicking the piccie to the right.

In turn, its fall from grace has made backers of the 'social media' bubble quite nervous. Many new white collar nonjobs created since the mid-Noughties depend on the commercial value of your output, and persona;l information. (Both are invariably donated for free).

But there's a problem.

Much of the data created by Web2.0rrhea is turning out to be quite useless for advertisers - or anyone else. Marketeers are having a harder time justifying the expenditure in sifting through the Web 2.0 septic tank for the odd useful nugget of information.

Facebook's data stash is regarded as something quite special. It's authenticated against a real person, and the users tend to be over 35 and middle class - the ideal demographic for selling high value goods and services. In addition, users have so far been 'sticky' to Facebook, something quite exceptional since social networks fall out of fashion (Friends Reunited, Friendster) as quickly as they attract users.

Facebook also has something else going for it - ordinary users regard it as the natural upgrade to Hotmail. In fact, once the crap has been peeled away, there may not be much more to Facebook than the Yahoo! or Hotmail Address Book with knobs on: the contact book is nicely integrated, uploading photos to share easier, while everything else is gravy. Unlike tech-savvy users, many people remain loyal to these for years.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/
“Everything Popular Is Wrong” - Oscar Wilde
05-15-2010, 12:19 AM,
RE: Facebook founder called trusting users dumb f*cks
He's right. When the man's right, he's right.
05-15-2010, 03:11 AM,
yep i always bash face book as a suckers thing, allows bb to always know whats up, and also good for more "citizen to citizen" spying also, hence ain't got it never will think there is only 1 pic of me on there on a friends profile... and just recent.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
05-18-2010, 10:06 AM,
everyone on face book posting all their personal pictures on to the internet are stupid.
05-18-2010, 10:26 AM,
I have a few pix of me up but nothing I'd call 'personal'. A list of a few things I'm into and I get a few news feeds. I don't use apps. I use it for work stuff (social marketing). It serves its purpose for me. "Dumb Fucks" take it too far by getting to personal with chat, photos and their walls.

I go by the rule (and this applies to phone calls, txt msgs etc..) -- don't post (say or take a photo of) anything on the net that you don't want on the front page of the newspaper. I wish my teenage son (14) would pay more heed advice a tad more but the boy has to learn from his own mistakes and carve his own path. My role is to give him roots and then wings not to be his net nanny.

Check out We Live in Public. It explores a real study of a world in which their is absolutely no privacy, a world we are quickly devolving into.
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
05-18-2010, 11:20 AM,
show him rambams lecture at the hacking conference. He is a private investigator and he talks about how easy his job is now. He says that he used to have to work for a living, now he just googles the "targets" name and he has it all, photos, likes, dislikes, where you are, where you are going, where you live, everything!

you can get it on my website, https://undoctrination.info , in the control grid section.

I learnt when i was about 13 or 14 when i first got onto the internet not to put my real name on the internet, by these guys on IRC, told me back in 1997. Since then i have not put any info on the net and you won't find any if you search etc.
05-18-2010, 11:46 AM,
I just figure that I'm being tracked anyways and refuse to live in fear. I'll use the tools at my disposal for myself, my peeps and anyone else who cares to participate but be wary of what I put out there, where I go and what I search.

It took years for me to submit to FaceBook for the obvious reasons (and instinct). I finally caved for business purposes, some social features and the reach for getting and disemmination of viewpoints that FaceBook can provide in exchange for that little piece of you that they so covet. I figured it was a fair trade and their isn't anything they have that the licence registry already has handy. Maybe these will offer a tad more insight into the web and I'll make changes accordingly.
05-20-2010, 09:01 AM,
I only opened my a couple months ago due to some friends' requests to stay connected while they were far. Now I got the chicks adding me, cant resist LOL
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
05-20-2010, 09:42 AM,
(05-20-2010, 09:01 AM)mastermg Wrote: I only opened my a couple months ago due to some friends' requests to stay connected while they were far. Now I got the chicks adding me, cant resist LOL

There are da chicks on the Facebooks?!¿ I don't beelive u SUYT!!
05-20-2010, 08:46 PM,
Of course! How could you refuse them?

[Image: chick_in_hand.jpg]
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
05-20-2010, 10:11 PM,
http://concen.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=31294&highlight=sex+doll
05-20-2010, 11:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM by yeti.)
Seems pretty straight forward to me. People that put that kind of data in a stranger's hands do deserve the "dumb" flag. And everyone ####s so it's accurate. Wink

I have a long term friend who is a Toronto lawyer and he sees these sorts of things all the time and there's nothing really in what he said so everyone saying we should go after Mark are dumb.

Besides, did you make a habit of never saying something stupid when you were 19? :p
07-13-2010, 02:38 PM,
Hey Mark Zuckerberg who's the dumb fuck now?!

Quote:Facebook assets frozen as man claims majority ownership
Emma Woollacott | Tue 13th Jul 2010, 02:41 am

A New York man has filed a lawsuit claiming he owns 84 percent of Facebook and the money it's made since 2004.

Paul D Ceglia says he signed a deal with Mark Zuckerberg in April 2003 to design and develop the website that ultimately turned into Facebook. The contract, he says, gave him $1,000 and a 50 percent stake in the company.

[Image: mark_zuckerberg.jpg]

And he claims that this stake was increased through a provision in one clause, so that it now gives him a majority share.

"Under Paragraph 3 of the contract, the Seller and Purchaser agreed that for each day after January 1, 2004, the Purchaser would acquire an additional 1% interest, per day, until the website was completed," the lawsuit reads.

This would mean Ceglia receiving a further 34 percent stake in the company.

Ceglia filed his suit in the Supreme Court of New York's Allegany County on June 30, and has won a state court order temporarily restricting Facebook from disposing of its assets.

Facebook has had the case transferred to federal court in Buffalo. It's arguing that the suit is frivolous, and that in any case the deal was signed so long ago that it's almost certainly barred by the Statute of Limitations - which runs for six years in New York.

The timing of the alleged contract is also doubtful. While the suit refers to the website as 'The Page Book' or 'The Face Book', Zuckerberg has been pretty widely profiled in both books and a film, and is generally depicted as having started work on the site in September 2003. The domain thefacebook.com wasn't registered until January 2004.

Ceglia is no stranger to the courts. Last year he was accused of having defrauded customers of his wood fuel pellet company in a case which is still ongoing.
http://digg.com/tech_news/Facebook_assets_frozen_as_man_claims_majority_ownership
http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/50623-facebook-assets-frozen-as-man-claims-majority-ownership

I may be poking fun at little Marky prematurely and it's still CIAbook but it's still worth a few karma giggles.
07-13-2010, 09:18 PM,
Yep, the man is right and I'm guilty of having my pics up. Then again the isp's track us, search engines track us, Cell phones, land lines listen in. credit cards, grocery store cards, all track us. Our bank accounts track us. Satellites look down and see us. They even get friends and neighbors to track each other. Those with or without a religion are screwed, young and old, with an opinion and without one are screwed. Those who stand up and those who suck up are equally screwed. I am sure they have a face with the name and voice by now and if they don't, I'll provide it and save us both some time.

The way I got it figured is I was born with a pair hanging and when I die they will still be hanging, even if they physically remove them.
07-14-2010, 05:15 AM,
Damn str8 hilly7 They have a voice, face, physcological & marketing profile of everyone. No matter if you live in cave or whatever, it'll be even worse once they unleash their smart dust but shit I'm not going to let that drive me underground or stop me from living my life. I'll use their tools like FB as I want to and make my own.

More on Smart Dust / CeNSE here with links to relevant threads:

HP & Shell to deploy Central Nervous System for Earth (CeNSE) via 1T Micro-Sensors
http://concen.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=33737

If we let that happen, then the terrorists win.

It would be really awesome if EVERYONE encrypted and used proxies their communication and surfing and phone calls. I was talking to a military IT encryption guy a ways back and he said it would be impossible to track people if they did that and that encrypted packets are intercepted and deciphered (lots of phone sex Wink and the unencrypted stuff gets carnivored and flagged for keywords.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux users targeted by password-stealing 'Wirenet' Trojan Easy Skanking 1 586 09-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Firefox 'new tab' feature exposes users' secured info: Fix promised h3rm35 0 443 06-23-2012, 01:33 AM
  Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen h3rm35 1 482 02-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Last Post: thokling
Information Social Networks Aimed at Children: Disney leads Charge into the Facebook for Under 13 FastTadpole 1 1,579 07-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Xunlei is the new BitComet (info for Utorrnet users) Bobert 1 2,105 01-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Dunamis
Exclamation 'Clickjacking' worm hits 100s of 1000s on Facebook - you can get pwn'd too. h3rm35 0 601 06-02-2010, 02:33 AM
  New Internet Explorer code-execution attacks go wild - IE 6 and 7 users targeted h3rm35 0 527 03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
  Microsoft exposes Firefox users to drive-by malware downloads Easy Skanking 2 825 10-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  The Pirate Bay's Anonymity Service Signs 100,000 Users Pre-Launch Weyland 4 993 04-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Last Post: icosaface
  Users Force Dell To Resurrect Xp Bobert 5 955 07-28-2007, 01:11 AM
Last Post: nochnoi dozor