Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is the Best Vitamin For Healthy Hair and Skin?
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM,
What is the Best Vitamin For Healthy Hair and Skin?
Ever wondered what is the best vitamin for healthy hair and skin? There are actually a number of vitamins and other nutrients that are important to the skin's health and the appearance of the hair. Here's a quick look at the subject.

Generally speaking, all of the nutrients necessary to support that health of the rest of the body are needed to support the skin's health. Referring to the hair's health is somewhat misleading, as the hair is not living tissue. A hair follicle, on the other hand, is a highly active part of the skin.

Follicles are located in the dermis, which is located below the epidermis and above the fatty subcutaneous tissue. The follicles perform several functions, including the following:

1. contain the sebaceous glands, which secrete sebum for lubricating and moisturizing the skin and hair
2. form hairs by packing old protein rich cells together
3. provide an outlet for both sebum and perspiration
4. assists in controlling body temperature

In some types of baldness, the follicles become blocked with plugs of dead skin-cells. Cosmetic surgeons have had some success in treating baldness by removing these plugs.

Most people would say that the best vitamin for healthy hair and skin is vitamin E. While it is important, protein is probably the most important dietary element, because both the hair and the skin are composed of protein. Hairs are actually protein filaments. The skin's outermost layer is composed of tightly packed dead protein-rich cells laid in a fashion similar to that of brickwork.
05-10-2010, 08:41 PM,
RE: What is the Best Vitamin For Healthy Hair and Skin?
die spammer! die!
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
05-10-2010, 10:19 PM,
What? He was so informative.
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM,
grossly excessive vitamin E intake is seriously poisonous
05-10-2010, 11:26 PM,
there's also some studies that show it's antioxidant properties reverse with dosages over 400iu/day... I tend to recommend 200iu or less.

hair skin & nails need copper, omega 3 & 6, biotin, silica, & b-complex...
05-20-2010, 10:45 PM,
I can contribute to this from personal experience.

It will be a year in June when I went to the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack. The pain has to be unbearable before I go to the ER since I don't get health benefits from my job and everything is out of pocket, but then the company compensates with good pay....that's beside the point.

Anyway, I roll in and the first thing they hook me up to is the EKG and determine everything is normal and then they proceed to break out the pain killers. (I related this story in another thread). The pain killers kill the pain, but the doctor isn't sure what the problem is. The pain had been coming on all day and was pretty steady. In the end he "guesses" that it "might" be gall stones. He billed me $1000 for 10 minutes Needless to say that bill went into file 13. The hospital billed for another $1000 which they got since it was their place and their equipment.

I called a friend of mine who runs a health food store and told her about the situation. The first thing she asked me was what I had eaten all day long. I told her and stated when the pain started. She told me that my digestive system had collapsed and gave me a very specific list of supplements and VITAMINS to take. So I grabbed my list and went down to the local health food store.

The basic regime of pills (I hate pills) that I had to take was the following:

Multi Vitamin
Calcium Magnesium with Vitamin D
Kelp
B-6
B-12
L-Lysiene
Garlicin
Slippery Elm
Zinc
Vitamin C Crystal Powder

*These are NON synthetic supplements with no additives.

The first 3 days I could only eat a plain baked potato with nothing on it. Some honey but I had to be careful. I could only drink distilled water. After 2 days I added freshly squeezed lemon juice to the water (to start replacing enzymes) mixed with Vitamin C Crystals.

My point here is that at the time of this attack I was tired, had no real energy, was basically depressed and feeling an overall 'what the hell' attitude. After about a month of taking these supplements religiously morning and night the color of my hair came back again. I had started turning a definite grey around the edges and on top and now I have hardly any grey at all. My skin cleared up and smoothed out some and I felt like running when I would be outside walking around.

Also I had changed my diet as well. I do not eat out at fast food places nor at regular restaurants. I only eat what I personally fix myself. No canned foods, nothing processed. I try to be careful about the vegetables I buy. I now travel with a small portable oven that I can bake in. I don't eat meat. I get my protein through egg yolks and cheese now. I eat alot of spinach, wheat germ, fresh fruit as often as possible and that seems to be working out well. I don't drink milk but do use sour cream in place of salad dressing. I drink only distilled water. If I want something sweet I use real honey. I will only use real UNSALTED butter when I cook and bake.

I have been pain free ever since. I feel better and look younger. I have lost weight and sleep much better now. My thinking is clearer, I can recall more things now where I was struggling before. I don't seem to have as many headaches (if any) and I can snack during the day as opposed to trying to eat 3 meals a day. My food costs are actually lower now.

Do I know which thing worked specifically? Nope, but I still do my regiment even though I hate taking pills. But at least I saved my digestive system. The pain is what reminds me. I never want to have to relive that pain again but I am glad I had it so I know.

Supplements in conjunction with a better diet and exercise do work. Not only do they work but they help to break the chains of conditioning and clear one's head of the garbage that accumulates. All I know is after a year of doing this consistently I swear by it and others can see the difference as well.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

05-20-2010, 11:08 PM,
A lot of it your relief probably came from eliminating meat from your diet... all that rancid dead material no longer clogged your intestines, and you were once again able to properly assimilate nutrients from your food. I've been a veggie for 12 years - When I was 18 my cholesterol levels were insane, and a doctor told me that I could conceivably end up with heart disease by the time I was 30. I'll be 31 in five days.

by the way, you can probably drop the garlicin... Alicin (active ingredient isolated in this supplement) really has no scientific evidence backing its effectiveness in immune function or cholesterol reduction
05-21-2010, 01:59 AM,
I know that over the last couple of months I have been toying with the idea that at the end of the day I am going to have to be able to do the best I can for myself without all these extras.

The day is going to come soon where being able to get supplements will be difficult and quite expensive (not that they aren't already). The Pharma's are buying up the good companies and making sure that what is on the market is useless at best. So I have been trying to educate myself for the day that I will have to understand herbs and food better in order to take care of myself at no cost.

I think that is the point where we really get back to true basics. But getting my health to a point where I can make that transition was important. I think I am there now. I know I am ALOT more educated now than I was 1 year ago.

I keep thinking about Morgan Spurlock and his video "Supersize Me". He was a vegetarian and then did the experiment and never went back. It ruined his life. That video really didn't register with me when I first watched it but now it sends a message. Funny how you think you get what a piece of information is saying until you actually experience what it is talking about. Had you asked me a year and a half ago if I would be a vegetarian one day I would have laughed at you and asked you what you were smoking. Now I can't see me NOT BEING one.

Funny what a difference the right intensity of pain can make.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

05-21-2010, 02:02 AM,
is there a vitamin X?
05-21-2010, 02:03 AM,
Yeah it's what they give you in your lethal injection

05-21-2010, 02:10 AM,
(05-21-2010, 02:02 AM)nik Wrote: is there a vitamin X?

There is and this guy took it:

[Image: rollingretard.gif]
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
05-21-2010, 02:31 AM,
Hey I know that guy, I see him at all the jobs I go to.

05-21-2010, 02:32 AM,
"The Pharma's are buying up the good companies and making sure that what is on the market is useless at best."

I've heard that rumor before, and believed it myself for a while, but it's simply not true. There are lots of good companies out there right now... Rainbow Light, Nutricology, Now foods, Nature's Plus, Source Naturals, enzymedica, Natrol, Country Life, and Solanova are just a few that you might want to look into. Codex is more of a threat than PhARMA right now.

Unfortunately, I don't know an well renowned manufacturer of vitamin x right now... I would just have to buy generics if I was deficient in it.
05-21-2010, 02:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2010, 02:38 AM by ---.)
(05-21-2010, 02:10 AM)Easy Skanking Wrote:
(05-21-2010, 02:02 AM)nik Wrote: is there a vitamin X?

There is and this guy took it:

[Image: rollingretard.gif]

haha oh no. the gurnambulance is needed. instant infamy. nightmare
The guy in frontis funny, in that he thinks they are videoing his smooth dance skills slightly
05-21-2010, 02:41 AM,
I stick strictly with Nature's Plus. I have two health food stores that supply me by mail while on the road and one of them pushes NOW really hard but there is something about that company that I don't like. Nature's Plus seems to work really well. One of the things that I forgot to list that I keep on hand and use from time to time is the Digestive Enzymes by Nature's Plus. I find that they come in handy if I start getting that feeling like everything isn't digesting. It knocks the pain back immediately.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mature Human Embryos Created From Adult Skin Cells Guest 2 1,337 05-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
Information Printing Human Skin, Organs and Tissue April 2 2,337 09-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Vitamins, Weight Loss & Healthy Nutrition jackfreex 0 568 05-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Last Post: jackfreex
  Exercise and Vitamin Intake jackfreex 0 614 05-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Last Post: jackfreex
  Planetary Skin Melchor 2 792 02-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Berkeley Physicists Make a Radio 10,000 Times Thinner Than a Human Hair subgenius 0 478 11-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Last Post: subgenius
  Sunless Tanner May Protect Skin waxzy 0 462 09-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Last Post: waxzy