Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bug Out Gear, Bags and Kits .. What's in Yours?
05-08-2010, 03:39 AM,
Thumbs Up  Bug Out Gear, Bags and Kits .. What's in Yours?
I totally just scored!

I picked up one of these, with tags still on it & filler material still inside from a thrift store for 10 bucks.

Quote:[Image: bog-5016-ABU-lg.jpg]
Bugout Bag, ABU
$124.95

The bag that started it all! The original and only authentic Bugout Bag made by Bugout Gear. A design that has been tested in the harshest travel conditions around the world by military troops. Officially deemed G.I. proof. A real world travel bag that allows for shoulder and backpack carry. Offers a full featured organizer with room for pens, phone, business cards, credit cards, and a mesh pocket for small items. A full size bag and expandable for even more storage, with internal load straps to keep load shift to a minimum. Has a place for a name tape to identify yours from the thousands of others in use.

• Internal Frame
• Stress Point Reinforced Stitching
• Padded Tuck-Away Straps
• Converts to Backpack
• Hydration Compatible
• Expandable
• Organizer Panel
• Carry Strap
• Name Tag Panel
• Custom Zipper Pulls
• Luggage Tag
• Size: 14.5 X 8 X 20.75 in
• Volume: 2871 cu.in.
• Weight: 6.5 lbs

* Model: 5016-ABU
It's got a lifetime warranty, it's lined for weatherproofing with PVC panels on the inside, its VERY expandable, has ALICE webbing all over the front, and looks and feels like it can take a nuke.

great bag, it's now my new flee kit bag.

you can pick one up (for 12x my costIcon_razz) at http://bugoutgear.com/index.php?main_page=index
they've got all kinds of great gear, and are one of the top-selling pack manufacturers in the US military.
I'm not spamming here, just making a recommendation. It's well worth every penny, even at full price.
[Image: conspiracy_theory.jpg]
05-08-2010, 05:09 AM,
RE: Bug Out Gear
I'm convinced the new dark age will be brought on by EMP warfare. I don't need credit card pockets but a silver/lead lined container or Farady cage will preserve those digital items that could prove useful from getting wiped. I already have a wicked awesome backpack, which is a must - same with my bike. I really gotta read up more on copper wire telecom and steam power though.
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
07-14-2010, 08:01 PM,
I got myself a fairly decent backpack too, pity I have bugger all to put in it =[

Working on it.

“I'm not from earth. I'm here on a research project. I'm preparing a paper on the psychosomatic ailments of pre-Apocalyptic condominium dwellers.”
-Sappho, Ash Ock

The Mushrooms once said to me "You must have a plan. If you don't have a plan, you will become part of someone else's plan."
-Terence McKenna
07-14-2010, 08:42 PM,
that's just my bug out kit. My actual pack's a bit more substantial, and much larger. the BOB has the survival and defense essentials all collected and ready on a second's notice. It's right next to my door. My car's loaded up with essentials too, but this is the "they're coming to round you up and throw you in a FEMA camp in 30 seconds" bag I go out the window and hop the fence with.
07-16-2010, 03:59 PM,
wow, $10!. great bargain. nice find!
08-18-2010, 02:29 AM,
has anyone used one of those emergancy tents? they are the silver material light ones. How can this be made into a home. I would like to know if anyone has slept in one of these and did they survive?
08-18-2010, 04:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2010, 04:18 AM by h3rm35.)
they work great for 72 hour kits if you can keep them out of the wind and sling them low enough to trap in heat... quick set up and take down, like any tubular shelter - but not exactly "home" material, or something you'd want to use for any length of time or if you're trying to keep a low profile.
08-18-2010, 10:49 PM,
Thanks man. I have it for when that wilderness moment comes!
10-19-2010, 03:06 PM,
I actually have the bigger version of this bag. I got it through AAFES which is only for military and gov employees. It is a very good bag. The larger one, when extended can fit quite a bit. I was playing hide and go seek with my five year old nephew and he was able to hide in that bag. Also, it can fit 2 or 3, 3L hydration systems. If you are skilled enough and conditioned enough, you can carry all you need in it. It is very durable.
10-19-2010, 05:50 PM,
(05-08-2010, 05:09 AM)FastTadpole Wrote: I'm convinced the new dark age will be brought on by EMP warfare. I don't need credit card pockets but a silver/lead lined container or Farady cage will preserve those digital items that could prove useful from getting wiped. I already have a wicked awesome backpack, which is a must - same with my bike. I really gotta read up more on copper wire telecom and steam power though.

along with digital items throw in some spare working alternators separate Styrofoam packaged as well, they will possibly be he heart of any power plant, also quit getting rid of old car batteries folks have you noticed how much they have went up in cost in the past 2 years i had to replace some and f me! near triple the price and as along as the battery is not frozen cracked it can be used in a bank, especially one charged by solar. And store an inverter, make sure it's 3 wrapped to be sure it survives. we saved 2 in each location, if it's emp or not they will be worth several months food rations in trade for sure Icon_biggrin cause any major break down where there is no power for even a week in the continental US, or say Yellowstone blows... either/ or the sheeple will be fuct as the utilities will breakdown, or be disrupted and there will not be workers to fix them, maybe military... but not right away...

all lines into your home are conductors and phone lines will be sources for sure! and there is no need to ground items in the cage nor the cage it's self, unless it is not on ground level ie in an Apartment.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!
10-19-2010, 07:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM by yeti.)
(10-19-2010, 05:50 PM)Deathanyl Wrote: there is no need to ground items in the cage nor the cage it's self

An ungrounded Faraday cage is worse than useless.
[Image: randquote.png]
10-26-2010, 06:34 AM,
(10-19-2010, 05:50 PM)Deathanyl Wrote:
(05-08-2010, 05:09 AM)FastTadpole Wrote: I'm convinced the new dark age will be brought on by EMP warfare. I don't need credit card pockets but a silver/lead lined container or Farady cage will preserve those digital items that could prove useful from getting wiped. I already have a wicked awesome backpack, which is a must - same with my bike. I really gotta read up more on copper wire telecom and steam power though.

along with digital items throw in some spare working alternators separate Styrofoam packaged as well, they will possibly be he heart of any power plant, also quit getting rid of old car batteries folks have you noticed how much they have went up in cost in the past 2 years i had to replace some and f me! near triple the price and as along as the battery is not frozen cracked it can be used in a bank, especially one charged by solar. And store an inverter, make sure it's 3 wrapped to be sure it survives. we saved 2 in each location, if it's emp or not they will be worth several months food rations in trade for sure Icon_biggrin cause any major break down where there is no power for even a week in the continental US, or say Yellowstone blows... either/ or the sheeple will be fuct as the utilities will breakdown, or be disrupted and there will not be workers to fix them, maybe military... but not right away...

all lines into your home are conductors and phone lines will be sources for sure! and there is no need to ground items in the cage nor the cage it's self, unless it is not on ground level ie in an Apartment.

Knowing what to put in the bag is so important. How many car batteries can you lug around in a bag? What are you going to do with them when you get to a location that you desire? How about making a smart plan, maybe adapting it as time changes if needed... If you are staying at home, you do not need a huge pack. If you plan to be mobile, you don't need a large one either because you will be on your feet all the time and that weight will slow you down. Speed and size is very important. If you are at home, you only need what may last you 3 days or so because you will return to home or a safe location. I say 3 days bc shit happens and you need a back up plan.
10-26-2010, 08:16 AM,
The Topic of Bug out Bags
I didn't see a forum that was dedicated to analyzing the overall need and effectiveness of a bug out bag and its contents.

First, I would like to say that there is no such thing as a definitive list of items for everyone's bug out bag. A bug out bag is subject to a person's needs, ability, location (region and environment), plan, and goal.

Each person has a different plan and therefore a different need. Some plan to stay on the run, some plan to go to a set location, and there are others who may have another plan. Define your plan expecting mishaps along the way because they will happen.

It is not a good idea to carry everything. I am a former US Army soldier and I have carried packs in excess of 100 lbs (45 kg). Trust me when I say, the lighter, the better. Given that, it is very difficult to tell people what exactly to put in a bag.

Location varies according to region, continent, country, state and so forth. This is important because you need to be prepared for climate and weather. If you are in an area that is constantly cold or hot, you need to have the appropriate clothing and materials.

If you plan on being on the run for a long time, you need materials in you BOB that will last a long time and that are very durable vs. lots of materials that will not last long. If you plan on going to a specific location, it is imperative that you carry maps of your location to your destination. Be familiar with the maps, but do not write on them. If you are captured or lose a map you can be found.

Given that, the list of things to have is below, but customize it according to need.

Clothes
Socks
Wet weather gear
Visual signaling device
flashlight
blanket
eye protection
a hat
defensive weapon
knife
rope
hygiene stuff
food
watch
gloves

extra room...in case you fine something you need along the way
11-27-2010, 08:57 PM,
RE: The Topic of Bug out Bags
Check out the reviews at zombiesquad forums. It rocks there.
luceo no uro
11-28-2010, 03:28 AM,
RE: The Topic of Bug out Bags
a good topic 4 sure and a 100 lbs bag for a 200 + pound male is not too much after a few days with adrenaline pumping you'll find it light, but get a good bag thats important, water proof, expandable with the right tie ins for bed roll gun/ bow, easy exterior mini pockets and a very good shoulder mount.

also if going to a destination leave your self a few burred treasures in strategic spots in rout from home to the exodus place, i have 2 ammo and MRE's stashes in my 1400 km journey. make sure the containers are 110% air and water tight, and bury them under a large rock or near an identifying tree so if it's a few years you'll still know where to look. for todays world you can GPS the coordinates but after chaos starts there won't be an operational gps grid.

very good advice re not marking the map yourself, but also one should note to get a topographical map of your route so if roads/ bridges r washed away or crowded (or patrolled) you can avoid them and cross country.

And seek out other like minded in your area, personally I've been to quite a few gatherings and even passed up a chance to tour with some other survivalists to try to reach more folks. More and more are waking up to the deception every day, but i guess it's hard not to when govs r building bunkers every where for no apparent reasonDodgy

I'm loath to advertise any other site but if your interest is in surviving Chaos and your looking to meet like minded folks PM me and i will reference you to one I have found which has the right attitude and is made up of " awake" people. and No it is not mine: with 3 kids and 2 jobs I'm only on line @ the lull in my daily storm.

Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gear hammurabi 1 1,004 02-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Last Post: 0110110