Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The un-official car thread of 2010
01-03-2010, 08:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2010, 08:58 AM by mastermg.)
Wink  The un-official car thread of 2010
Smile
What do you all drivin these days? List your mods and stuff too.
I still drive my stock automatic integra due to the loss of major money over the BMW 528i I used to have. The engine head was cracked in several places causing coolant and oil to mix, which overheated it. I got rid of the Beemer and now trying to sell the integra and save up for either a Volvo s60 t5, Saab 9-3 or 9-5 aero (all high pressure turbo cars) or a Mitsubishi lancer OZ rally (looks beautiful but only 120 hp. However, very torquey and responsive), Toyota celica, or Nissan sentra SE-R (maybe spec-v too). I prefer a rwd of course but those are costy depending on the car.
Right now me and my friend are modding his 99 honda prelude. Skunk2 catback exhaust, racing headers (forgot the brand), tanabe (Japanese racing) adjustable coilovers, AEM cold air intake, 10mm spark plug wires, slightly larger injectors, apexi afc-neo piggyback unit (air fuel ratio controller), sway bars in the front and back, sick 17 In rims, etc. There's a lot more eyecandy like carbon fiber hood and navigation sound system smoked lights vinyl top etc.
I'm missing stuff on the 'lude. There's an NRG steering wheel, JDM black leather and suede rear seats with red stiching, halo projector headlights with super bright xenon HIDs including the hi beams and foglights.
Oh yeah, greddy turbo timer and short shifter. Carbon fiber interior trim should come in this week. More goodies I can't think of.
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
01-03-2010, 09:59 AM,
RE: The un-official car thread of 2010
Ah don't spend your money on that shit MG LOL! You gotta save it dude for the Apocalypse. Buy yourself guns and bullets and survivalist shit.

and you definitely need this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BdSf5AhE04&feature=related
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

As a reputed atheist, the reverential nature of his film was surprising, but Pasolini himself said &If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief.&

[Image: Copyofsoldier2.jpg]
01-03-2010, 11:26 PM,
Haha I always wanted that. I don't know, I love cars. The type of car someone drives tells a lot about the personality too.
01-04-2010, 06:56 AM,
(01-03-2010, 11:26 PM)mastermg Wrote: Haha I always wanted that. I don't know, I love cars. The type of car someone drives tells a lot about the personality too.

What would you think of me if I drove a english Morgan?
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

As a reputed atheist, the reverential nature of his film was surprising, but Pasolini himself said &If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief.&

01-04-2010, 07:06 AM,
I've ridden my bicycle for since I learned to pedal, only taking cabs, car pools and buses when absolutely necessary.I don't care to support this oppressive government, oil companies and unethical insurance industries.

If we put all of the money and effort into building a better public transportation system count me in. All of the resources put into roads and cars could have been much better spent IMO. In 1976 a city councilman from Edmonton came up with an idea for an ingenious low friction tube system for single passenger fast transportation modules but, needless to say, it was nixed outright without debate. I vote with my dollars when and where I can - a personal choice for everyone though.
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
01-04-2010, 08:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2010, 09:00 AM by mastermg.)
(01-04-2010, 06:56 AM)Weyland Wrote:
(01-03-2010, 11:26 PM)mastermg Wrote: Haha I always wanted that. I don't know, I love cars. The type of car someone drives tells a lot about the personality too.

What would you think of me if I drove a english Morgan?

A nice, old and retired white dude with a personality that seeks class and looks.
I highly doubt you fit the description very well LOL
For me personally, it's not about the oil. It's about racing and being cocky lol. Public transportation in Los Angeles is almost nonexistant and impractical.
01-04-2010, 09:16 AM,
(01-04-2010, 07:06 AM)FastTadpole Wrote: I've ridden my bicycle for since I learned to pedal, only taking cabs, car pools and buses when absolutely necessary.I don't care to support this oppressive government, oil companies and unethical insurance industries.

If we put all of the money and effort into building a better public transportation system count me in. All of the resources put into roads and cars could have been much better spent IMO. In 1976 a city councilman from Edmonton came up with an idea for an ingenious low friction tube system for single passenger fast transportation modules but, needless to say, it was nixed outright without debate. I vote with my dollars when and where I can - a personal choice for everyone though.

LOVE YA DUDE but you are outta your fucking mind if you think I am gonna get on a bike LOL!LOL

01-04-2010, 09:45 AM,
If all those fat asses that barely fit behind the wheel, some of them on the way to the gym (at least in January), got on a bike every now and then maybe they'd have less bounce due to less ounce and they'd hate themselves less and take less Prozac. I realize the tube-transport system seems utopian but I s'pose I shoot for the stars and hope for the moon.

Oh and I am out of my fucking mind, I'm from Edmonton and I ride in -30 degree weather for fun.

LOVE YA 2 DUDE.
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
01-08-2010, 03:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2010, 03:48 AM by Ctrl.)
(01-03-2010, 08:36 AM)mastermg Wrote: Smile
What do you all drivin these days? List your mods and stuff too.

88 Mazda RX-7 stripped to racing form minus a roll cage/lexan... uber light, (from what it was) 1245kg w/me in it, no dead weight except passenger seat, on 1/4 tank gas.

Mods are:
Street ported (same as bigger cams, valves and head porting in a piston engine car.)
Aluminum flywheel for less rotational mass, 12 lbs, stock was 27 lbs. More power to the wheels.
RX-8 ecentric (crank) shaft. 1 kilo lighter (less rotational mass) with bigger oil galleries.
RX-8 rotors (pistons) 1.1 lbs lighter each shaves 2.2 lbs off rotational mass plus compression rises to 10.1 from 9.4
Rotors are race "clearanced" which allows more RPM's than the stock 8000 rpm.
Rotors are ceramic coated for less in-engine heat absorption, less carbon accumulates, your oil lasts longer too.
A 3rd generation rx-7 oil pump for better oil flow than what I had.
3rd gen rotor housings... breath better than my stock 2nd gen.
Secondary (kicks in at 3800 rpm) fuel injectors uprated to 550cc from 305cc.
Electric fan conversion, less rotation mass, more room in engine bay.
1 inch drop front/back coilovers.
Full free flowing stainless steel exhaust including headers
Air Intake by K&N
MSD ignition wires, iridium plugs, stock coils.

I probably forgot a mod or two, but my next goal is to get my rear end from a 410 to a 430... costs $500.

Here's my "jap scrap" doing about 130 mph... just having fun, not going hell bent for leather. I'd JUST passed my
new engine break-in period and didn't want to torment the engine, but OTOH, I didn't want to go slow either. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDzypmaOEJI

FWIW I've had up to 147 mph @ 8000 rpm in 4th. That was scarey enough for me.
01-08-2010, 04:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2010, 05:37 AM by Ctrl.)
Then of course there's my TVR car, hand crafted in Blackpool England.
I love this car. Big Grin

I'm sorry, I should have stated it all in the previous reply I made, but, well, it's in a different class so I gave it its own reply.

[Image: 515094120_7fd0411fbc.jpg]

It's a 1987 TVR 390SE, originally a 3.9 but since the original engine went to shit at 40k miles or so, it was rebuilt as a 4 liter engine. The ecu is "chipped" by Mark Adams, who is a TVR engine managment guru. Seriously, google his name + TVR, you'll see what I mean.

It's an aluminum block/heads powered V8 that weighs in a 2441 lbs. Stock it produced (claimed by TVR) 270hp, 270 ft/lb.

103 were made, after owning it for almost 3 years (this April) and looking for other owners, I can only confirm 15 exist today, even on the TVR owners forum. It is UBER rare.

Since last March I have been restoring it and this is the quality of the work I do: (there's a lot of pictures detailing hundreds of hours of work, but I'll only pick a few to show the changes)

[Image: 017gnp.jpg]
[Image: 029jgc.jpg]
My intake manifold before and after.

[Image: 009tmf.jpg]
Semi-refurbed fuel injector gear on left, versus right.

[Image: 015vii.jpg]
At this point I'd refurbed the injector gear, but only 1/4 cleaned the intake manifold so I could document the radical changes.

[Image: 036rvw.jpg]
I turned the bottom side of my intake into this:
[Image: 037kta.jpg]

I ceramic coated my heat-stained headers...
[Image: img0583rdi.jpg]

[Image: img0585.jpg]
I turned ugly corroded crap like this into:
[Image: img0597n.jpg]

[Image: img0628o.jpg]
From this corroded aluminum mass airflow sensor into this:
[Image: img0633s.jpg]

I did a lot of work but things really paid off, for one example, my valve covers... compared to the way they were.
[Image: img0634j.jpg]
Painted...
[Image: img0636h.jpg]
Masked...
[Image: img0641e.jpg]
First one done...
[Image: img0642.jpg]
Before and after...

Here's my hand brake assembly... disassebled, before and after...
[Image: img0652.jpg]
[Image: img0655.jpg]

Nice work eh? Smile
I guess I can't post more than 20 pics per post, here's the rest...

[Image: img0665o.jpg]
I pulled every last nut and bolt and sandblasted/welded/refurbed my chassis!

[Image: img0811z.jpg]
Engine going back into my refurbed chassis. Smile This day felt so good inside. It was the end of unbolting, the begining of rebolting. Big Grin

[Image: img0860e.jpg]
Almost ready to put the body back on! Big Grin

[Image: img0895r.jpg]
Ready to drop the body back onto the chassis. Smile

[Image: img0904r.jpg]
Body on, on to the next phase.

As it stands I've got about 30 hours work to have it ready for spring. Big Grin

Here's a couple vids from the day my car arrived from England:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9QuZKwCF74&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AD3tKgenvk&feature=related

If you're into cars and want to see a rebuild thread of mine... http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=12&t=695646
Okay, sorry, 1 last car... a 1992 VW Golf. My grandmother gave it to me for free 6 weeks ago and in only had 73589km on it. It runs like a charm, purrs like a kitten, has ZERO rust, never been smoked in, totally immaculate paint and body. It's a 4 door auto, which sucks, but my God, compared to the rx-7 or the TVR is it cheap on gas!

Mein Fay Vay ist sehr gut!

I LOVE this little gutless shitbox!
01-08-2010, 05:25 AM,
Impressive Ctrl! Just wait until we get our 650hp Nissan 350z twin turbo, within two weeks I hope. Then maybe we can race.
For the rx7, couldn't you have spent the money on lowering the compression a bit and getting forced induction?
01-08-2010, 06:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2010, 06:58 AM by Ctrl.)
(01-08-2010, 05:25 AM)mastermg Wrote: Impressive Ctrl! Just wait until we get our 650hp Nissan 350z twin turbo, within two weeks I hope. Then maybe we can race.
For the rx7, couldn't you have spent the money on lowering the compression a bit and getting forced induction?

Yeah, I could have dropped the compression and boosted the 7 but I really wanted an N/A engine. When you start playing around with rotary engines mazda's "zoom zoom zoom" quicly turns into "zoom zoom BOOM!"

The difference is about 50k miles per engine, N/A veruss boosted.

Besides, a 1988 TURBO 7 only made 182hp (stock)... I make 210 naturally aspirated. Wink

My little n/a will beat a stock TURBO of the same year hands down. Smile

Quote:Ctrl! Just wait until we get our 650hp Nissan 350z twin turbo, within two weeks I hope. Then maybe we can race.

I'll look cooler losing than you will winning. Wink (in the TVR)

I've lost 3 races, 2 street, 1 strip...
SRT4 heavily modified... street
Dodge p/u truck running nitrous... street
Pontiac Grand Prixa... drag strip... out of my class...

You know tho... even if me and your 650hp Z-car raced from one green light to the next red,... who do you think everyone stopped at the intersection would be GAWKING at in wonder "WTF is THAT!?! (even if I lost)

It sure the fuck aint your MASS PRODUCED NISSAN that I see 10 a day of... It'll be this:

[Image: 515094120_7fd0411fbc.jpg]

There's speed yeah...but then there's speed with exclusivness. I've got 1 of 2 TVR 30-SE's in North America, and the ONLY right hand drive UK spec model Wink

I'll lose with more style than you can win with. Wink

AND to porche fans, porches are for GIRLS.
01-08-2010, 08:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2010, 08:23 AM by mastermg.)
    I wont argue with style and uniqueness vs. the common car. That is why I want the Saab 9-5 aero, which is pretty "rare" compared to the other cars, looks better than all the other saab hatches since this one is a sedan, and is very sporty with bbs rims, high pressure turbo, etc. So major props, your TVR cannot be compared to these rice rockets lol.

But anyway, I took some pictures myself too of the prelude and the fairlady-z.

These are the little JDM details added like the door runners (which is not stock, only japanese), and the carbon fiber interior trim (cant really see it in the pic)
This is what is under the hood.

And this is the 350z. I dont know what exactly is on it yet, but will get the list soon. What I know is that it has the GReddy fiberglass wide body kit ($3500), GReddy TiC (titanium) catback exhaust ($crapload), and custom made 3 piece aluminum rims with stainless steel lip (NOT in these outdated pics)

You can see the twin turbo of course. The ECU was fine tuned, the clutch I dont know yet but its worth 3000, the whole engine is fully built to handle everything too.

Where the hell did hardboilednwokilla go? He was into the Z.
01-09-2010, 08:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 08:56 PM by Ctrl.)
Cat-back? Cut the cat OUT!

As for the cars mmg, the Prelude looks good, the bodykit on the Z car looks pretentious.
It's just my humble opinion but people who try to make (with a body kit) a common car into an "exotic" are out to lunch.

FWIW, I'm NOT anti-jap cars...look at all the money I put into my rx7. OTOH, there are "TUNERS" who build a great car with
emphasis under the hood. (like I did) Then there are "RICERS" who build their rice car with nothing more than a body kit, and a fart cannon
for a muffler. The Z car is definately "rice".
01-09-2010, 09:26 PM,
Yeah, I'm not going to comment on the Z right now until I get the list of mods. I'm sure it has a straight pipe, but I know the catback is GReddy branded. I'll take better pics when the car is ready. It was meant as a showcar as much as for performance, and that speaks for itself. Hell, I'll take a video if I can.

The prelude, we did the mods ourselves, and we don't put anything that'll make it ricey. Glad you liked it haha.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  obscure interesting facts thread drummer 0 535 12-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Last Post: drummer
Smile The Yeti Appreciation Thread FastTadpole 64 8,583 12-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Diceman
  The Photography Thread: 56k beware! JohnDoe1984 69 11,918 12-14-2011, 03:40 AM
Last Post: Dunamis
  The reincarnation thread B4Time 1 606 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Swordfish
  The sick joke thread. Mike_Smith 30 6,578 06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Last Post: rockingtheboat
  California & Edmonton chemtrails May 12, 2010, Edmonton chemtrails April 13th, 2011 mexika 18 5,782 04-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Hey Inheritor I went to Art Basel 2010, you would have FREAKED! Weyland 4 1,233 12-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Last Post: solar
Thumbs Up Official WeAreChange Facebook page has an anti-Zionist photo + message joeblow 5 1,058 07-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
Wink Nutty Neighborhood News thread jack 6 1,856 04-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  rch 2010 P.I.D. Radio 3/14/10: Riding the Beast --- 0 506 04-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Last Post: ---