Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alternatives to the internet
11-16-2009, 05:40 PM,

I think we need to discuss this. If they decide to shut down the internet. Why can't we set up our own? I have some ideas, your thoughts? If we get a couple of comments I'll give my thoughts.
"They scare us all with threats of war. So we forget just how bad things are." 'Open Your Eyes' - Lords Of The New Church 1981

11-16-2009, 06:06 PM,
RE: Alternatives to the internet
Where the heck is everyone? (looks around)

My thoughts shortwave, are that I'd like to hear your ideas! Smile
11-16-2009, 07:56 PM,
Me too!
"Listen to everyone, read everything, believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research"
~William Cooper

DTTNWO!
11-16-2009, 11:51 PM,
Me also, I wouldn't know where to start..
11-16-2009, 11:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2009, 12:03 AM by shortwave.)
Before there was a real internet as we know it now. There was such a thing as "Packet Radio" , basically ham radio operators were using their IBM clones and a "packet modem" in conjunction with their ham radios and antenna to communicate digitally. There also was....on air BBS' run by individual ham radio operators and by clubs. You would go to a BBS to send and receive email and check out the latest DX bulletins (to see what faraway stations were coming in from remote locations all over the globe). That was ham radio's version of the "internet". Drawbacks were it was painfully slow (by todays standards) and you needed a packet modem and ham radio and license. But it was popular in its day.

There also was landline BBS ( BBS means Bulletin Board Service) , where one would use their landline and a modem to dial into a local BBS. It worked, it was popular but painfully slow. Like ham radio, there was a type of email box through the BBS. Some BBS' had a lot of game and text files you could download . When the internet took off BBS kind of went away.

By today's standards this is ancient technology.

Today's technology...

Wifi is the answer. We could have directional antennas connected up to our routers (and to our computers) to get out several miles by Wifi. The internet (as we know it) would not be even involved. We could connect to computer to computer wireless router to wireless router and pass audio files around. We could set up neighborhood hubs and BBS' and reach out to other neighborhoods all on a private or public network.

If the internet got censored, possibly using this method we could have our own internet. So the question remains,

Where would we get source material (audio files) in the first place to get out to everyone (if this internet was strictly local) ?

The source material could come from a variety of sources including FTA satellite. FTA satellite means Free To Air Satellite. A great example is 97W Ku band, with the size of a 3 foot dish. One can listen to audio networks like RBN, GCN, Micro Effect, American Voice, Geo and others 24/7 with no subscription fees. A dish and receiver costs around $200.

Now you can capture the audio via the "line in" jacks on your computers. And using software like "Replay Radio" you can capture these into MP3's (for later distribution on the neighborhood BBS/hub) and distributed out later to other neighborhoods with high gain directional antennas.

If you don't want to do a neighborhood hub/BBS, you can relay out to 10 miles to another relay and that could relay the files out. On E-bay and elsewhere they sell high gain Wifi antennas that will enable up to 10 miles (or more) Wifi reception.

Suppose they censor the satellite too and the 97W ku band idea won't fly? There is still shortwave and it could be a safe bet that some will still get the programs out. Record the audio to a computer and using "Replay Radio" (or some other program) and capture them as MP3's and archive them and send them along the wifi network.The audio would sound like crap...who cares?

One could possibly combine the capabilities of the old landline BBS with the relay method of wifi and still be able to send out email and important messages. OK, what about that "packet radio" . I have not tried it, but I assume it would be possible to use the "packet radio" method on other frequencies than ham radio. I do not advise anyone of doing anything illegal like that. But as some said, "if we are under martial law" what does it matter? But again I strongly advise against it. ...

If we have no power, the power is cut off. Radio communications would be the primary method of communications at this point using batteries/solar power or 12 volts from a vehicle.

These are ideas, and nothing more. I am not suggesting in any way that anyone do anything illegal.

I want someone explain why it will work, or why it won't work ...or why it MIGHT work. We do need to discuss this soon while we still can access the internet.

Your thoughts?
"They scare us all with threats of war. So we forget just how bad things are." 'Open Your Eyes' - Lords Of The New Church 1981

11-17-2009, 01:21 AM,
Bluetooth uses radio technology to communicate perhaps this could be modified for longer distances to build off of shortwave's idea by creating hubs, nodes or using satellite relays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
There are no others, there is only us.
http://FastTadpole.com/
11-17-2009, 11:50 AM,
I mention 10 miles as a simple and attainable figure for Wifi, the record is much longer...237 miles.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/19/venezuelans-set-new-wifi-distance-record-237-miles/

11-18-2009, 10:43 PM,
Is anyone out there?

11-19-2009, 06:51 AM,
[Image: Postduif.jpg]
11-19-2009, 10:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-19-2009, 11:02 PM by ozlo.)
I think the solution will be a revival of BBSes. Whether dialup or via some kind of regional point-to-point WiFi networks. Just look at how FidoNet is *still* active in many countries with scarce internet connectivity. Yet, messages are relayed through various nodes across the globe without fail.

Packet radio is a possible option as well, however, to my knowledge it would require some modification and a lot of cooperation among nodes to transfer data in a non-plaintext mode. Packet radio has practically died and the technology was not allowed to advance as it should thanks to the FCC, ARRL, and some old timer hams stuck in their ways.

Let me also add that with a clear line of site and the right conditions, point-to-point communications via WiFi have been mede from 50-80miles without a boost in transmitter power...all by using a small parabolic dish (like an old 18 inch DirecTV or DishNetwork dish)!
“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.”
Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306.
11-20-2009, 06:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM by yeti.)
The internet won't die unless either society collapses, or they want a global revolution.

If it does go down, they'll have to take down the phones too, landline and wireless, or we'll create our own dialup network.

If that goes down, then we'll all start burning DVDs like mad or using memory sticks and reviving sneakernet (most of us do that anyway already). To break that up, they'll have to start banning stored information. By that time, the revolution will be in full swing...

... at which point the power will go out. Then we'll need generators, wind and solar. Sneakernet will thrive...

The genie's out of the bottle now, and there's no turning back - we can now put more information than anyone could possibly read in a lifetime on a chip you can stick on a keychain.

Gotta love it.
[Image: randquote.png]
11-29-2009, 03:13 PM,
this is a great idea, WiFi would totaly work
02-10-2010, 09:35 AM,
An alternative I hadn't heard of but was discussed as a possibility was brought up in the tracker thread by Timelady.

Quote:There's always a way to get around the corporate internet.

High-speed multimedia radio IS the future, if we can get enough people convinced enough of it to get their ham licenses to operate it. Or even unlicensed . . .

Thread:
ALERT ALERT ALERT - Internet Censorship Alert
http://concen.org/tracker/torrents-details.php?id=14042

I hadn't heard much on any development on this yet. Does anyone have any leads as to where this is going or who it is backed by or even some insights on some technical implementations of such a plan to create this illegitimate bastard of a sister to the internet.

Exploring another tangent of the future and ways to acheive the end goals of making the internet and all information more freely available and accessible, I present the following:

On the current path a speculate that a walled internet with localized nodes with the ISPs or another layer (probably a type of filter / flagging system) acting as gatekeepers to the information will evolve. Centralized deployment of whitelisted material is also a probable tool to be used to spread propaganda through all sorts of mediums.

I've heard about corporate subscription channel based on a cable models. Remember when there was the channels bar in Win 98 and ME that was test marketing for such an implementation. The Net Neutrality movement through organizations like iPower, which are co-opted or simply misinformed is using this to scare people into government regulation of the internet. Either way the outcome is rigged since multi-national corporate agenda == government puppets.

The internet ID will take away anonymity and will basically be a "chip" for your internet entity which a governing power or enforcer can unplug at any time. Identity theft syndicates (organized crime, corporate, government) are ready to pounce on this no doubt with their banks of stolen ids and personal information and an already tech savvy and educated workforce.

The battle for the this instance of the internet is all but over. We have a window to spread information worldwide relatively unhindered but that window is closing fast as long as money still has the power to convince people, nations and companies to compromise and sell out their (our) stake in the internet. The free internet is being painted into a corner, as well as being attacked economically and socially through usurpation, infiltration and espionage and law.

Alternatives need to be set up to stay a step ahead in tandem with circumvention to keep information accessible to all that seek it out.

We have the human ego that we will be able to circumvent these systems, and some of us will. Some will be branded criminals or terrorists, we can see that coming in the vague definitions that are coming out of committees, government sittings, NGOs and courts of law. Others will carve out a little isolated space on the internet living on as a remnant of the 'good old' internet like the hardened cockroaches they are but their reach will be limited. Most will be allowed to see, touch and feel the new safe, controlled and sanitized internet. Safe from dissent, controlled by the corporate government and sanitized from any truth that crops up to reveal their schemes.

ISPs really suck hard at this now but they are learning quickly. IBM's Big Blue was a joke unitl it beat grand master Gary Karpotsev back on February 17, 1996. The joke is on us now. The internet is a computer environment and those that control the infrtructure win the war for it. The existing elements of truth and propoganda are bound to ramp up control for dominance on this increasingly controlled and intelligent infrastructure in a ridiculously complex game of chess. It is a game that essentially comes down to the motivators of altruism vs capital and resources. At this point, the game is rigged and leveraged towrads the latter.

The internet should belong to us, morally and logically speaking, since it was built upon public infrastructure and largely subsidized by public government coffers (us). Sadly, that is clearly not that case. It never was our internet, at least no more than we had public television or radio. Elected officials are acting in the globalist corporate interest and will continue to do so at an accelerated pace as our opinion becomes less and less relevant to them keeping the reigns of power over us.

There are options but the larger battle lies not in cyberspace or the courts but in the religion of money and the control of resources. Greed is a powerful control mechanism (or magic if you like) to control resources and energies in the material, natural, intellectual, spiritual and physical realms.

I hate to present a problem without at least taking a stab at getting a conversation on a solution out there so here is another one I dreamed up, although it is a bit on the utopian side. Feel free to pick it apart or expand on the premise.

If enough people reject money of all kinds, be it resource based or backed, and exchange efforts and contributions towards common goals we will be able to shape the human evolution towards the collective will of the people. This evolution would embody their goals reflect the dreams and achievements instead of rewarding manipulative gamers and hoarders of the cannibalistic system we have built up ourselves to serve the masters of the day and the system itself in perpetual slavery.
02-10-2010, 09:49 AM,
even if this corporate new world order degenarated trash brings up WEB 2.0 there are still many way how to fuck it. STEGHIDE can hide data into any JPG, MP3, etc. it depends on size of picture audio, how much space inside you have available. with highspeed net, they can censor, what ever they want, you will simply send collection of 200MB of picture photos with 40MB used space. check what STEGHIDE can do for you http://steghide.sourceforge.net/ I will make some stupid pro government LEFT-RIGHT trash beliving website full of nice BIG jpegs and PDFs with a real truth hidden inside images. The way around their new censored highspeed web is throught publicly available but password protected/steghide hidden content.

Steghide is a steganography program that is able to hide data in various kinds of image- and audio-files. The color- respectivly sample-frequencies are not changed thus making the embedding resistant against first-order statistical tests.

The current version is 0.5.1.

Features:

* compression of embedded data
* encryption of embedded data
* embedding of a checksum to verify the integrity of the extraced data ( you can disable it )
* support for JPEG, BMP, WAV and AU files

Steghide is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)
02-14-2010, 06:47 PM,
hid.im [ http://www.hid.im ] is another app that does much the same (embedding a torrent file into a png file), just not nearly as advanced or aspiring to encompass all that Steghide claims to do. I'll confirm this when I take the windoze version of this handy tool on a whirl in the near future.

Too bad the project got dropped in beta (Dec 2003).

Anyone here try this out at any tightly COINTELPRO forums.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Massive Security Bug In OpenSSL Could Affect A Huge Chunk Of The Internet temp9 7 2,280 04-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Last Post: temp9
  Free Google internet access Orwell63 4 1,099 12-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Watchdog
  Internet Storm Center Status JFK 0 988 09-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Last Post: JFK
  Get rid of Internet Explorer (again) - It’s more like an exploit than a browser h3rm35 6 1,282 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
  Web wipeout: Syria suffers nationwide internet blackout zoverload 1 648 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Malware may knock thousands off the internet on Monday zoverload 0 570 07-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Last Post: zoverload
  DNSSEC: the internet's International Criminal Court? h3rm35 3 2,881 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
  Security slackers risk Internet blackout on March 8 Frank2 0 760 02-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Frank2
  Eolas patent trial: Relax! The Internet is saved yeti 1 637 02-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
Information Internet Censorship In India FastTadpole 0 1,116 12-09-2011, 12:30 PM