Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forcing Forum Use For Torrents
08-07-2006, 02:00 PM,
One of the things we can do with this forum is allow file attachment uploads in posts, and subsequent downloads of those files by readers of the posts.

I was thinking that the tracker comments are virtually a forum unto themselves, and since the forum allows uploads and downloads of torrents, comments and torrent downloads could be turned off on the tracker saving me two sites to read posts on.

In other words, to download the torrent or make comments on it people would have to become members of the forum, read whatever topic, and get their torrent or post their comments from the forum.

Filesoup operates their bitorrent site in this manner and it seems to work for them.

IMHO, if a person has to sign up to a forum to post their torrent, there's a lot better chance they'll also take the time and add a proper description to the post. There's also less chance (I think) of people abusing the tracker and uploading RIAA/MPAA type stuff trying to get us shut down.

Another added benefit would be less load on the tracker itself and it would not be uploading the torrents and writing comments to it's database and so on which would to a degree make our tracker's server become obsolete slower.

I was thinking of a slow implementation with lots of warning so it doesn't come as a huge shock to people.

What do you guys think?
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM,
As long as they're searchable... and apparently they would be, then it'd be cool. It will be nice to have all the talk about files being right there with the files themselves... maybe someone could make a weekly categorized digest to keep it sleek.
08-08-2006, 06:21 AM,
You could still search, sort, filter by type on the tracker as well as search it on the forum. Basically the tracker would just lose it's [DL] column and comments column. It would fit nicer on your screen too.
08-08-2006, 09:50 AM,
A few things come to mind..

1) Would there still be a list of torrents on the frontpage of ConCen? And, like now, would users be able to DL torrents directly from the frontpage? It might bad for traffic (new users) if this site's main purpose is hidden in some sub-category of the forum.

2) Topic ordering. On the torrents section, would threads with new replies get bumped to the top of the list? If so, this would make it difficult to browse the list for new torrents.

3) Would new users need to register with the tracker and the forum before they could use torrents? (I can't remember if users need to be logged into the tracker site b4 they can DL)

4) From an aesthetic viewpoint, torrent distribution via forums has always seemed a little amateurish to me. Its as though the admin wants to peddle some torrents but can't be bothered to set up a proper tracker frontend. I know thats not the case here though!, just thats the way it seems when I visit other sites that use that method.

Despite the above comments, I strongly agree with tsoldrin's comment that it'd be nice to have torrents fused with a decent environment for discussion. There have been a few times I've considered starting threads for torrents but haven't done so because it seemed so jarring to go to a completely different section of the site and then strike up conversation there.
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
08-08-2006, 11:44 AM,
I'm more into, if it ain't broken, don't fixed it
The InfoUnderground
TiU Radio
http://www.TheInfoUnderground.com
08-08-2006, 11:51 AM,
i think that's a great idea Ctrl...and i think people need to stop being lazy and
take the time to search the forums for the info...it's not rocket science.
[Image: intellektssig.png]

&A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.& -- Bertrand Russell
08-08-2006, 04:23 PM,
Logistically... if you could make a Torrent directory that sorted by start date instead of most-recent-post date, then just going into that directory would show the person the correct order, newest-to-oldest torrent listing, but they'd still be able to see new posts under each torrent (even burried ones) by using the 'view new posts' feature. I didn't try to upload yet... is there a form? I detest undescribed files, anything that urges people to give a description is good in my book! As far as the don't break it thing.. agree there, in that light, simply leave the old way until it becomes obsolete, disused and... depreciated. puts() Are we going to be able to view u/d stats? I know some hated that on the old TT Classic, but I thought it encouraged sharing and frankly it seemed that files tracked from there came down much faster.
08-08-2006, 04:29 PM,
Hmm, well, I always thought the tracker was pretty well organized and easy to use for whatever I looked for. If it stays on a strictly forum basis, that can obviously work to, especially with the search function.

If torrents were to remain specifically on the forum, could this also act sort of as a "security" buffer? What I mean is with the tracker there were the issues with certain files not being able to be posted, since the tracker linked to certain areas.
&Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth.& - Kahlil Gibran
&Orwell was right, but 20 years off&
&The mouth of the Just shall meditate Wisdom, and [their] tongue shall speak Judgement...& - Lilium
08-08-2006, 11:48 PM,
I think its a good idea because it will promote discussion about certain torrents. This way you will know what is worth downloading.
08-11-2006, 08:26 PM,
mvgroup does it that way for their (mostly) BBC documentary torrents. Their format is pretty good.
luceo no uro
08-13-2006, 03:00 AM,
I was working on some news related stuff today and it occurred to me that you could use rss to keep an updated list of tracker files here on the forums.

I use a javascript parser to do this with news, and that won't show in this message so I tossed it up on a blog... it might look something like this: netfluff

There is probably an IPB mod that would let you cut out the middleman (for me feedburner) and just do it directly. Though FB has some extra features that are nice for making little stuff like this:

[Image: MyConCen.gif]

Just an idea. Not quite as cool as a thread for each file but it's somethin'.
08-13-2006, 05:12 AM,
Quote:I was thinking of a slow implementation with lots of warning so it doesn't come as a huge shock to people.

What do you guys think?

Let me just say that I spent frikkin WEEKS getting my tracker to work with an IPB system. I gave up.

You prolly know more having done it for ages but i could never get the torrents registed OR there was some issue with dynamic IPs and people being refused.

As a general idea it makes sense. It would also mean you could make SECTIONS and CATS to focus the type of torrents i question - this in turn would encourage more discussion on torrents related to that area. I'm not a big forums fan - i like swapping files centered around a good community of peopleThen I'll discuss stuff.

Ahem, if i recall - it was me [and a few others who agreed] that pushed in the last forum for a "tracker Forum" to discuss items on the tracker.

Also - as much as i know there are language isues for some - this would make ppl join in and not just leech shit and come back a week later and repeat.

My 2 Pence.
"We are just glorified monkeys in suits.... show me where it's written we should be able to model the cosmos?!" -Terence McKenna, 21st Century Bard
R.I.P-ranks Terence. I miss your take on life.
=-=
08-13-2006, 05:13 AM,
Quote:i think that's a great idea Ctrl...and i think people need to stop being lazy and
take the time to search the forums for the info...it's not rocket science.

Do you make your own sig images?
"We are just glorified monkeys in suits.... show me where it's written we should be able to model the cosmos?!" -Terence McKenna, 21st Century Bard
R.I.P-ranks Terence. I miss your take on life.
=-=
08-16-2006, 10:59 PM,
Ctrl maybe because it's not clear in my head exactly how this new system works.

Is this option with IPB software or is it like posting a Thread with the torrent attached ?

Any example I can study or we can have a look at ?

However, I still err on the side of caution, compared to other torrents site, we got a clean kick ass tracker and just because it's new doesn't make it better.

As we are talking upgrades Ctrl, This Server is having problem all day long, did we hear anymore from the hosting company ?

Otherwise, Torrent Trader is that worth looking at again, as I was getting use to it just before we re-switched.

Og
The InfoUnderground
TiU Radio
http://www.TheInfoUnderground.com
08-16-2006, 11:18 PM,
I'd like to go with TT on a paid and private basis with the existing tracker kept public and free. Joins by invite only. Ratio warns/bans/wait times etc. No dial-ups allowed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble with forum skins ? FastTadpole 0 305 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Lack of Coast to coast AM torrents anubisgfx 9 8,259 12-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Last Post: thedarb
  How do you embed videos in forum posts? beardown50 6 1,361 12-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Last Post: beardown50
Information I found a very interesting forum joeblow 3 982 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Last Post: mastermg
  Forum trouble Bounty Hunter 10 1,980 07-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  Thanks for helping me get back on the forum. scaramanga667 4 906 07-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Last Post: April
  Something fascinating happened on a forum in a span of a few days .. --- 12 2,172 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Deathaniel
  New Illuminati Forum (SSL Secure) TheQleaner 0 479 02-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Last Post: TheQleaner
  VPN to download torrents bambam 1 742 02-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Last Post: kevlar
  Alex Jones Torrents Diceman 4 1,144 02-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Diceman