Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tesla Turbine
09-08-2006, 07:25 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
Tesla has always been one of my favorite subjects. I had a junior high science teacher who would, if you brought him up, talk about tesla most of the class. He's the one who originally sparked my interest in him. This is just one of the many curious possibly world changing inventions of his. This invention seems to be little known compared to his others but there's some very interesting ideas to ponder from a mechanical engineering point of view. This is well worth the read.

Quote:From the New York Herald Tribune Oct. 15, 1911

Tesla’s New Monarch of Machines

Suppose some one should discover a new mechanical principle--something as fundamental as James Watt’s discovery of the expansive power of steam—by the use of which it became possible to build a motor that would give ten horse power for every pound of the engine’s weight, a motor so simple that the veriest novice in mechanics could construct it and so elemental that it could not possibly get out of repair. Then suppose that this motor could be run forward or backward at will, that it could be used as either an engine or a pump, that it cost almost nothing to build as compared with any other known form of engine, that it utilized a larger percentage of the available power than any existing machine, and, finally, that it would operate with gas, steam, compressed air or water, any one of them, as its driving power.
It does not take a mechanical expert to imagine the limitless possibilities of such an engine. It takes very little effort to conjure up a picture of a new world of industry and transportation made possible by the invention of such a device. “Revolutionary” seems a mild term to apply to it. That, however, is the word the inventor uses in describing it—Nikola Tesla, the scientist whose electrical discoveries underlie all modern electrical power development, whose experiments and deductions made the wireless telegraph possible, and who now, in the mechanical field, has achieved a triumph even more far reaching than anything he accomplished in electricity.

this is an interview with Tesla himself on the engine

Quote:“It is the greatest invention in a century,” wrote one of the foremost American engineers, a man whose name stands close to the top of the list of those who have achieved scientific fame and greatness.

“No invention of such importance in the automobile trade has yet been made,” declared the editor of one of the leading engineering publications. Experts in other engineering lines pointed out other applications of the new principle and letters asking for further information poured in on Dr. Tesla from the four quarters of the globe.

“Oh, I've had too much publicity,” he said, when I telephoned to him to ask for an interview in order to explain his new discovery to the non-technical public. It took a good deal of persuasion before he reluctantly fixed an hour when he would see me, and a good bit more after that before he talked at all freely. When he did speak, however, he opened up vistas of possible applications of the new engine that staggered the imagination of the interviewer.

Looking out over the city from the windows of his office, on the twentieth floor of the Metropolitan Tower, his face lit up as he told of his life dream and its approaching realization, and the listener’s fancy could almost see the air full of strange flying craft, while huge steamships propelled at unheard of speeds ploughed the waters of the North River, automobiles climbed the very face of the Palisades, locomotives of incredible power whisked wheeled palaces many miles a minute and all the discomforts of summer heat vanished as marvelous refrigerating plants reduced the temperature of the whole city to a comfortable maximum—for these were only a few of the suggestions of the limitless possibilities of the latest Tesla discovery.

“Just what is your new invention?” I asked.

“I have accomplished what mechanical engineers have been dreaming about ever since the invention of steam power,” replied Dr. Tesla. “That is the perfect rotary engine. It happens that I have also produced an engine which will give at least twenty-five times as much power to a pound of weight as the lightest weight engine of any kind that has yet been produced.

“In doing this I have made use of two properties which have always been known to be possessed by all fluids, but which have not heretofore been utilized. These properties are adhesion and viscosity.

“Put a drop of water on a metal plate. The drop will roll off, but a certain amount of the water will remain on the plate until it evaporates or is removed by some absorptive means. The metal does not absorb any of the water, but the water adheres to it.

“The drop of water may change its shape, but until its particles are separated by some external power it remains intact. This tendency of all fluids to resist molecular separation is viscosity. It is especially noticeable in the heavier oils.

“It is these properties of adhesion and viscosity that cause the “skin friction” that impedes a ship in its progress through the water or an aeroplane in going through the air. All fluids have these qualities—and you must keep in mind that air is a fluid, all gases are fluids, steam is fluid. Every known means of transmitting or developing mechanical power is through a fluid medium.

“Now, suppose we make this metal plate that I have spoken of circular in shape and mount it at its centre on a shaft so that it can be revolved. Apply power to rotate the shaft and what happens? Why, whatever fluid the disk happens to be revolving in is agitated and dragged along in the direction of rotation, because the fluid tends to adhere to the disk and the viscosity causes the motion given to the adhering particles of the fluid to be transmitted to the whole mass. Here, I can show you better than tell you.”

Dr. Tesla led the way into an adjoining room. On a desk was a small electric motor and mounted on the shaft were half a dozen flat disks, separated by perhaps a sixteenth of an inch from one another, each disk being less than that in thickness. He turned a switch and the motor began to buzz. A wave of cool air was immediately felt.

“There we have a disk, or rather a series of disks, revolving in a fluid—the air,” said the inventor. “You need no proof to tell you that the air is being agitated and propelled violently. If you will hold your hand over the centre of these disks—you see the centres have been cut away—you will feel the suction as air is drawn in to be expelled from the peripheries of the disks.

“Now, suppose these revolving disks were enclosed in an air tight case, so constructed that the air could enter only at one point and be expelled only at another—what would we have?"

“You'd have an air pump,” I suggested.

“Exactly--an air pump or blower,” said Dr. Tesla.

“There is one now in operation delivering ten thousand cubic feet of air a minute. “Now, come over here.”

He stepped across the hall and into another room, where three or four draughtsmen were at work and various mechanical and electrical contrivances were scattered about. At one side of the room was what appeared to be a zinc or aluminum tank, divided into two sections, one above the other, while a pipe that ran along the wall above the upper division of the tank was connected with a little aluminum case about the size and shape of a small alarm clock. A tiny electric motor was attached to a shaft that protruded from one side of the aluminum case. The lower division of the tank was filled with water.

“Inside of this aluminum case are several disks mounted on a shaft and immersed in a fluid, water,” said Dr. Tesla. “From this lower tank the water has free access to the case enclosing the disks. This pipe leads from the periphery of the case. I turn the current on, the motor turns the disks and as I open this valve in the pipe the water flows.”

He turned the valve and the water certainly did flow. Instantly a stream that would have filled a barrel in a very few minutes began to run out of the pipe into the upper part of the tank and thence into the lower tank.

“This is only a toy,” said Dr. Tesla. “There are only half a dozen disks— ‘runners,’ I call them—each less than three inches in diameter, inside of that case. They are just like the disks you saw on the first motor—no vanes, blades or attachments of any kind. Just perfectly smooth, flat disks revolving in their own planes and pumping water because of the viscosity and adhesion of the fluid. One such pump now in operation, with eight disks, eighteen inches in diameter, pumps four thousand gallons a minute to a height of 360 feet.”

We went back into the big, well lighted office. I was beginning to grasp the new Tesla principle.

“Suppose now we reversed the operation,” continued the inventor. “You have seen the disks acting as a pump. Suppose we had water, or air under pressure, or steam under pressure, or gas under pressure, and let it run into the case in which the disks are contained—what would happen?"

“The disks would revolve and any machinery attached to the shaft would be operated—you would convert the pump into an engine,” I suggested.

“That is exactly what would happen—what does happen,” replied Dr. Tesla. “It is an engine that does all that engineers have ever dreamed of an engine doing, and more. Down at the Waterside power station of the New York Edison Company, through their courtesy, I have had a number of such engines in operation. In one of them the disks are only nine inches in diameter and the whole working part is two inches thick. With steam as the propulsive fluid it develops 110-horse power, and could do twice as much.”

“You have got what Professor Langley was trying to evolve for his flying machine—an engine that will give a horse power for a pound of weight,” I suggested.

Ten Horse Power to the Pound.
“I have got more than that,” replied Dr. Tesla. “I have an engine that will give ten horse power to the pound of weight. That is twenty-five times as powerful as the lightest weight engine in use today. The lightest gas engine used on aeroplanes weighs two and one-half pounds to the horse power. With two and one-half pounds of weight I can develop twenty-five horse power.”

“That means the solution of the problem of flying,” I suggested.

“Yes, and many more,” was the reply. “The applications of this principle, both for imparting power to fluids, as in pumps, and for deriving power from fluids, as in turbine, are boundless. It costs almost nothing to make, there is nothing about it to get out of order, it is reversible—simply have two ports for the gas or steam, to enter by, one on each side, and let it into one side or other. There are no blades or vanes to get out of order—the steam turbine is a delicate thing.”

I remembered the bushels of broken blades that were gathered out of the turbine casings of the first turbine equipped steamship to cross the ocean, and realized the importance of this phase of the new engine.

“Then, too,” Dr. Tesla went on, “there are no delicate adjustments to be made. The distance between the disks is not a matter of microscopic accuracy and there is no necessity for minute clearances between the disks and the case. All one needs is some disks mounted on a shaft, spaced a little distance apart and cased so that a fluid can enter at one point and go out at another. If the fluid enters at the centre and goes out at the periphery it is a pump. If it enters at the periphery and goes out at the center it is a motor.

“Coupling these engines in series, one can do away with gearing in machinery. Factories can be equipped without shafting. The motor is especially adapted to automobiles, for it will run on gas explosions as well as on steam. The gas or steam can be let into a dozen ports all around the rim of the case if desired. It is possible to run it as a gas engine with a continuous flow of gas, gasoline and air being mixed and the continuous combustion causing expansion and pressure to operate the motor. The expansive power of steam, as well as its propulsive power, can be utilized as in a turbine or a reciprocating engine. By permitting the propelling fluid to move along the lines of least resistance a considerably larger proportion of the available power is utilized.

“As an air compressor it is highly efficient. There is a large engine of this type now in practical operation as an air compressor and giving remarkable service. Refrigeration on a scale hitherto never attempted will be practical, through the use of this engine in compressing air, and the manufacture of liquid air commercially is now entirely feasible.

“With a thousand horse power engine, weighing only one hundred pounds, imagine the possibilities in automobiles, locomotives and steamships. In the space now occupied by the engines of the Lusitania twenty-five times her 80,000 horse power could be developed, were it possible to provide boiler capacity sufficient to furnish the necessary steam.”

“And it makes the aeroplane practical,” I suggested.

“Not the aeroplane, the flying machine,” responded Dr. Tesla. “Now you have struck the point in which I am most deeply interested—the object toward which I have been devoting my energies for more than twenty years—the dream of my life. It was in seeking the means of making the perfect flying machine that I developed this engine.

“Twenty years ago I believed that I would be the first man to fly; that I was on the track of accomplishing what no one else was anywhere near reaching. I was working entirely in electricity then and did not realize that the gasoline engine was approaching a perfection that was going to make the aeroplane feasible. There is nothing new about the aeroplane but its engine, you know.

“What I was working on twenty years ago was the wireless transmission of electric power. My idea was a flying machine propelled by an electric motor, with power supplied from stations on the earth. I have not accomplished this as yet, but am confident that I will in time.

“When I found that I had been anticipated as to the flying machine, by men working in a different field, I began to study the problem from other angles, to regard it as a mechanical rather than an electrical problem. I felt certain there must be some means of obtaining power that was better than any now in use. And by vigorous use of my gray matter for a number of years, I grasped the possibilities of the principle of the viscosity and adhesion of fluids and conceived the mechanism of my engine. Now that I have it, my next step will be the perfect flying machine.”

“An aeroplane driven by your engine?” I asked.

“Not at all,” said Dr. Tesla. “The aeroplane is fatally defective. It is merely a toy—a sporting play-thing. It can never become commercially practical. It has fatal defects. One is the fact that when it encounters a downward current of air it is helpless. The “hole in the air” of which aviators speak is simply a downward current, and unless the aeroplane is high enough above the earth to move laterally but can do nothing but fall.

“There is no way of detecting these downward currents, no way of avoiding them, and therefore the aeroplane must always be subject to chance and its operator to the risk of fatal accident. Sportsmen will always take these chances, but as a business proposition the risk is too great.

“The flying machine of the future—my flying machine—will be heavier than air, but it will not be an aeroplane. It will have no wings. It will be substantial, solid, stable. You cannot have a stable airplane. The gyroscope can never be successfully applied to the airplane, for it would give a stability that would result in the machine being torn to pieces by the wind, just as the unprotected aeroplane on the ground is torn to pieces by a high wind.

“My flying machine will have neither wings nor propellers. You might see it on the ground and you would never guess that it was a flying machine. Yet it will be able to move at will through the air in any direction with perfect safety, higher speeds than have yet been reached, regardless of weather and oblivious of “holes in the air” or downward currents. It will ascend in such currents if desired. It can remain absolutely stationary in the air, even in a wind, for great length of time. Its lifting power will not depend upon any such delicate devices as the bird has to employ, but upon positive mechanical action.”

“You will get stability through gyroscopes?” I asked.

“Through gyroscopic action of my engine, assisted by some devices I am not yet prepared to talk about,” he replied.

“Powerful air currents that may be deflected at will, if produced by engines and compressors sufficiently light and powerful, might lift a heavy body off the ground and propel it through the air,” I ventured, wondering if I had grasped the inventor’s secret.

Dr. Tesla smiled an inscrutable smile.

“All I have to say on that point is that my airship will have neither gas bag, wings nor propellers,” he said. “It is the child of my dreams, the product of years of intense and painful toil and research. I am not going to talk about it any further. But whatever my airship may be, here at least is an engine that will do things that no other engine ever has done, and that is something tangible.”

Wiki link with pictures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine

Here's a great link with lots of pictures and info too

http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/Device...bine/index.html

Seems it took almost 100 years for us to appriciate this technology.
&We didn't have education. We had inspiration. If I was educated, I'd be a damn fool.&
-Bob Marley

[Image: idiocracyforpres.jpg]
09-08-2006, 11:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2006, 11:21 PM by JohnDoe1984.)
The Tesla Turbine
I just spent a while on the "freeenergy" link in my last post and I found this amazing article. I'll post some of it and link it. Probably one of the best free-energy concepts I've ever heard.

Quote:Free Energy from the worlds oceans

Viktor Schauberger's Method For Extracting Power From the Ocean Depths:

Before we begin, please ask yourself if you like being forced into paying more than $3.00 per gallon for gasoline - and - with no end in sight, watch that price per gallon continue to escalate. Then ask yourself about heating your home, paying more for every single consumer item, ie. groceries, all store bought products, clothing, shipping, travel, etc. It's ALL based on the Oil Industry (fossil fuels - Dyno Bones). We can act, now, to change over to a 100% clean, electricity driven society.

What you will read and see on this page is one of the simplest, most cost-effective ways to draw power directly from the deep, abyssal waters of our planet's Oceans. Viktor Schauberger proposed this concept nearly 75 years ago. You will hear the words, Ocean Power. Key in on this concept from Viktor - this is NOT wave power, nor does it use anything similar to existing ocean-powered systems currently in development. This, like everything Schauberger did, is totally different. This is power extracted through a naturalesque method from the deep ocean water. This is, in effect, using the implosive nature of fundamental universal energy, and extracting that power from the depths of the ocean. Read on.

Referring to the diagram, right, it can be seen that at a certain depth in the Ocean, the temperature is at the anomaly point of +4 degrees Celsius. This saltwater center stratum may often be fresh due to the expulsion of salts with cooling under the exclusion of light, heat, and air. Moreover, due to its enormous density, it is not possible for such abyssal water to absorb any gases through processes of diffusion or convection. But, most importantly, and this is the crucial factor - there is no avenue of escape, no naturally formed rising shafts for the egress of the highly compressed +4 degree Celsius water.

By lowering a suitably designed length of pipe to the appropriate depth, this oxygen hungry water is provided with a means of rising to the surface. The water will rise of its own accord as it does in mountain springs, Its levitational vortical movement will initially be induced by a dual-function strainer, whose tangentially arranged inflow provides the impulse for the creation of a vortex while at the same time preventing the entry of aquatic creatures. The rising pipe itself will be a smaller version of the double spiral pipe equipped with vortex-inducing vanes - Schauberger's Whorle Pipe.

At a certain depth to be determined empirically, atmospheric oxygen delivered through a larger pipe forming an outer jacket, is diffused into the oxygen deficient water by means of a one-way filter consisting of a substance whose physical composition permits the passage of the smaller oxygen molecule by not that of the larger water molecule. In contact with this diffusive filter, the rising water rapidly absorbs the oxygen, warms slightly and begins to expand, to increase its volume.

According to Schauberger, this expansion can be significantly enhanced with the addition of a few drops of a highly complex carbone - such as oil. It is this powerfully expansive phenomenon which can be very simply exploited and converted to the mechanical energy required to drive electric generators. The should not be done with conventional centrifugal impellers, however, because they destroy both the structure and the quality of the water. Rather, centripetal impellers should be used of a design, either similar to what is shown in the diagrams, or, a Tesla Bladeless Disk Turbine.

How It Works:

If we take a very close look at Schauberger's brilliant invention, it can be seen that, really - it is quite simple (and ingenious!). We also have one rather modern invention of another kind that will aid us in potentially building this wonderful invention, namely - Gore-Tex Fabric. Let me explain further. First, we see that a pipe must be sunk down into the ocean depths, to the point where the ocean water temperature is at its anomaly point of +4 Degrees Celsius (+39 degrees Fairenhight). Refer now to diagram, left.

Why? This is when the water is at its absolute most dense. It is also, at the expected depth - quite condensed under considerable pressures. As Schauberger theorized, it is also incredibly oxygen STARVED. This is important, and brilliant for Schauberger to have intuitively known.

That pipe-inside-of-a-pipe configuration and now be made quite easily. We already HAVE the raw stock, compliments of the Oil Industry in the form of deep sea drilling piping. Here's where the Gore-Tex comes into play. Gore-Tex fabric will let air molecules, or oxygen in one way, but not anything larger, thus its fantastic ability to say for instance in clothing - breath. Sweat can escape, but moisture or rain molecules can't come back through.

That outer casing pipe that Schauberger describes here is just the ideal use for the Gore-Tex membrane! We need to have a way to induce atmospheric oxygen down to that dense, oxygen-starved layer Viktor is talking about. Remember also that the pipes have spiral vortex generating veins inside of them. This is Viktor's Whorle Pipe invention. Water, when put inside of a pipe with spiral vortex generating ribbing, actually reduces all friction to less-than-zero. See the original patent for the whorle pipe at: http://www.frank.germano.com/vs_waterconduit_patent.htm .

One pipe - the inner pipe, is the upward intake of dense, oxygen-starved abyssal water, at +4 degrees Centigrade. The outer casing pipe, is for the introduction of the atmospheric air, which is oxygen saturated, if you will. What happens? A big "whoosh" is what happens! All that pressure, the introduction of a Carbone, ie. Oil, the dense oxygen-starved water, trying to seek the oxygen layer, and - the end result is that the water will begin to rocket towards the surface. Schauberger's ingenious Whorle Pipes add to the effect of propelling the water upwards. This upward traveling water, under pressure, now actively seeking Carbones (Oxygen), and rapidly accelerated via the action of the spiral vortex inducing whorle pipes now gushes out at the surface.

What then? On top of this Ocean Power platform, sits a Tesla Turbine. As the upcoming, highly pressurized abyssal water shoots up that center pipe, it is fed directly into the Tesla Turbine, which is instantly set into rotation. The shaft is connected to a standard, high-power generator. Walla. Free electricity from the Power of the Deep Ocean waters.

How To Build It:

There are many off-shore Oil Drilling Platforms currently in thousands of locations all around the coastlines of the Americas. For that matter, there are many thousands more all around the world. We take a platform, fabricate the proper pipes, and set it up. Pretty darn simple. There is really no downside to this concept for free, non-polluting electrical energy directly from the abyssal waters of the Ocean. The deep abyssal water that comes up, drives a Tesla Turbine, and is simply put right back into the ocean. No ecological impact. Free electricity. What a concept. This concept, however brilliant, cannot at present be put into use unless government funding and action is taken. This is not a project for the private sector.

What is needed is the United States Government stepping in and taking it to prototype stage. Once that action is taken, this system can be built for a very small relative outlay. My guess? This entire system can be built for under two million dollars, even with a floatation platform included, and the on-shore distribution systems in place. Output power? Again, my best guestimate would be an average electrical outlet of roughly 2 gigawatts per unit. Let's not forget, each platform could hold several of these systems, thus, the total generated power would be staggering. By implementing several of these off-shore power plants on the Eastern, Southern, and Western coasts of the United States, it is feasible to supply 100% of the electricity needed for the entire country. Considering this is entirely clean, non-polluting power...the advantages of using this system become quite obvious.

Frank Germano's Challenge to the United States Department Of Energy:

Recently, I sent several emails to the United States Government, namely, to President George Bush, and Vice President Dick Cheney, as well as Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California. The emails stated briefly, that the simplest way to end this dependence on oil is to convert to a totally electric (electricity) society. It is the only way we will survive. Don't believe just me alone, on this point. Nikola Tesla, Walter Russell, Viktor Schauberger, and many, many other brilliant men have said as much. So...how about a Federal grant, or, build this system for yourselves.

I challenge anyone in the US Department Of Energy to take a serious look at Schauberger's Ocean Power invention. I challenge you to compare the cost to other current ocean energy extraction theories or devises and see which works the best. It may just be that there are other devises out there that work at moderate levels of efficiency, but, I doubt that any can equal the inherent power available as from Schauberger's system, or the cost. We are only talking about simple, standard piping. Another pipe to act as a casing around the inner pipe. A Gore-Tex membrane. And, a Tesla Turbine and generator. Naturally, the high current electrical lines to deliver the generated power back to shore...some control devises as well as monitoring units - all off-the-shelf, standard fare items. It's just too simple to pass up.

Who benefits? Everyone benefits. Consumers ultimately get drastically lowered electrical bills, as now, the supply itself is non-existent and is paid for. No fossil fuel consumption in the creation of the electricity. The Electric Utilities now do not spend to produce the power, therefore, the consumer receives lower rates. Slowly, all our transportation and infrastructure, ie. automobiles and trucks, and the supply of electricity, can be totally converted over to electric drive. It goes without saying what the benefits are, not only to us as a society, but to future generations. The automobile industry stands virtually ready to convert to 100% electric drive vehicles. Even with hybrid drive vehicles, the end consumer saves. Cost? If it's a Government sponsored program, and an off-shore drilling platform can be leased or rented, this system, for the first prototype, would fall under 250 thousand dollars. Peanuts, considering the practical advantages offered. Once mass-produced...the costs fall lower, and lower.

Up until this type of proposal, all forms of supposed "free energy" if implemented, would, in fact - collapse the global economies. This type of system would not do so. It would basically augment the current electrical economy, and in doing so, alter some of the production, but, it would also create many more jobs as distribution sites would need to be built, operated and maintained at thousands of coastline locations. The kicker? The Oil Industry, itself, is in a position to build this system! They have the existing deep sea platforms, and, more importantly, they have the existing components for construction - the pipe lines. Naturally, some retrofit work would need to be done. A proper Tesla Turbine, or Schauberger-based centripetal turbine would need to be built and shipped to the location - all quite do-able. So, those old dyno-bones processing platforms just got turned into a nice, clean, free electrical energy generating plant. This is virtually a no-brainer.

Whether or not a Tesla Turbine is used to capture the water power is of no real concern at this point. Any standard impellor driven water turbine will work...it's just a matter of how we regard our stewardship to this planet and its water supply. Schauberger clearly stated that a turbine of the type of construction that would not damage the water should be used. A bladeless disk Tesla Turbine would fit that bill, perfectly, My company- Global Energy Technologies - can supply them, or, at the very least, offer our consultation services to the company that does end up with the contract.

http://www.frank.germano.com/oceanpower.htm

This sounds like a workable solution to energy problems to me?
&We didn't have education. We had inspiration. If I was educated, I'd be a damn fool.&
-Bob Marley

09-09-2006, 12:27 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
This is another tesla turbine application for geothermal power.

Quote:The Boundary Layer Turbine is not only an engine that is hard to
comprehend by our currently imposed standards, but can also be used
as a pump with slight modification. And like its cousin the engine,
it has Herculean power. Unlike conventional pumps that are easily
damaged by contaminants, the Bladeless Tesla Pump can handle
particles and corrosives in stride as well as gases with no
cavitation effect that destroys, in short order, conventional type
pumps.

These pumps and engines, though unknown to most, are available for
commercial sale. If large scale commercial production was

implemented, these engines and pumps would be extremely affordable
due to their simplicity of manufacture, longevity, almost total lack
of maintenance and the added bonus that they require no crank case
oil.

Almost a quarter of the air pollution today comes from the coal
being burned to generate electricity. Fuel consumption, resulting
in air pollution and acid rain, could be significantly reduced
simply by replacing the conventional blade steam turbines currently
used by utilities with the Bladeless Tesla Steam Turbine. This also
would have the added bonus of drastically reducing maintenance. But
the real solution lies in using low temperature wet steam occurring
naturally from the ground in the form of geothermal energy. This
energy would destroy a conventional bladed steam turbine, unless
expensive steam drying is employed. However, the Bladeless Tesla
Steam Turbine requires no drying and can be connected directly to
the geothermal source.

It has been estimated that the geothermal potential in just Southern
California alone, could power the entire North American Continent
with NO POLLUTION! Large oil companies have comprehended the
potential of geothermal energy and have purchased many of these
large tracks of prime geothermal land.

Due to the revolutionary concepts embodied in this engine, we can
easily end the so called energy crisis and dramatically reduce
pollution. Even the vested energy interests are beginning to
understand that now is the time for change, realizing their future
health and wealth is directly linked to that of the environment.
You can't hide or buy your way out of a devastated planet. There
must also be a move forward for the many misinformed
environmentalists who see our future as one of regression from
technology instead of its proper usage.

http://security-protocols.com/textfiles/conspiracy/testurbn

Anyone with any kind of mechanical background can see the elegance, simplicity, and genius of this design. Are pistons, valves, connecting rods, cam shafts, lifters, crankshafts, the best way to convert expansion to radial power? From my research they are not even 30% efficient at the task. Just think for a minute about how overly complicated your cars engine is.
-Bob Marley

09-09-2006, 02:52 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
Thanks for assembling this. I love it when solutions are are so straight forward and elegant.

09-09-2006, 03:37 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
http://www.centripetal-dynamics.com/projects_ert.htm

This is a company working on a waste powered tesla turbine. Because of the design they are well suited to running on "dirty" fuels and have no problem with a little particulate matter. These are going to be electric generators for waste managment companies.

Quote:Our proprietary disc turbine (Patent: USSN: 60/415,239 Improved Method of and Apparatus for a Multi-Stage Boundary Layer Engine and Process Cell) is being developed to explore the potential for cost effective electricity production from biomass, waste heat recovery and a variety of other alternative fuels.

The TurboFlux™ PGS is an entirely different, yet equally promising, advanced turbine which the Company believes may be lower in cost to manufacture and equal or better in operating efficiency than certain conventional engines -- giving the Company a significant competitive price and performance advantage that should translate into significant market penetration.

The TurboFlux™ PGS differs from the conventional turbine primarily in that the rotor consists of a series of flat disks mounted on a shaft and rotating within a casing. The steam [or gaseous products of combustion] enters with high velocity at the periphery of the disks, flowing between them in free spiral paths, and finally escaping through exhaust ports in the center.

This is a very advanced looking design compared to others I've seen and the link has some good pics of it. It would appear to be some muti-stage conversion of Tesla's design.
-Bob Marley

09-12-2006, 05:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2006, 05:44 AM by TeslaandLyne.)
The Tesla Turbine
Thanks, best Tesla related information I've see in a long time.
Its not an automatic transmission that for sure.
They sell them on ebay. Getting the smooth surface is the problem.

Always with the flying machine reference, he did patent an engine
for a helicoptor with out the counter torque in the drawing.

His so called dream electrical flying machine had no takers and it is
assumed he went into internal power devices when his external
wireless power had no backers.

Well so the story goes, wonder if anyone put it all together without
telling the rest of us.

If a non combustible rare gas mixture can go in hot enough by a spark
and come back to find its electrons again and recombine for another
runthrough, well you go something.

There is a patent on a similar device.
09-12-2006, 08:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2006, 09:01 AM by JohnDoe1984.)
The Tesla Turbine
I discovered the turbine in a little fun research I was doing into suppressed inventions. I fell in love with the design. If you think about any other conventional fan they esentally drive air by directly impacting the blades of the fan on the air molecules. They strike the blade and are deflected in the direction of the pitch. Only the outside 30% of the fan does any work at all.

Any designer of engines will tell you that abrupt changes in the direction of flow anywhere in the engine reduce both horsepower and efficiency. Intake/exhaust manafolds, head and valve passages on traditional internal combustion engines are reshaped, polished and redirected all to decrease friction and impedence to flow. Hemi-combustion chambers are arranged with the valves equally spaced apart with the spark in the center to both increase flow and effeciency of burn. Larger pistons are mearly to pull in and push out more air/fuel faster. It takes little imagination to think of the free flowing nature of a telsa turbine design. The compressed fuel has but to flow over smooth disks and out the ports with a very wide and unobstructed path of least resistance.

Another interesting design I've been looking into is the sterling engine.

http://www.stirlingengine.com/

Apparently people have been building highpower parabolic solar heaters to run gensets and having good results. Here's a very cool article "How to build a solar Generator out of old car parts" ;)

Quote:During a stint in the Peace Corps in Lesotho in southern Africa, Matthew Orosz, an MIT graduate student advised by Harold Hemond, professor of civil and environmental engineering, learned that reflective parabolic troughs can bake bread. Now he plans to use these same contraptions to bring power to parts of Africa baked in sun but starved for electricity. His solar generators, cobbled together from auto parts and plumbing supplies, can easily be built in a backyard.

The basic design of Orosz's solar generator system is simple: a parabolic trough (taking up 15 square meters in this case) focuses light on a pipe containing motor oil. The oil circulates through a heat exchanger, turning a refrigerant into steam, which drives a turbine that, in turn, drives a generator.

The refrigerant is then cooled in two stages. The first stage recovers heat to make hot water or, in one design, to power an absorption process chiller, like the propane-powered refrigerators in RVs. The solar-generated heat would replace or augment the propane flame used in these devices. The second stage cools the refrigerant further, which improves the efficiency of the system, Orosz says. This stage will probably use cool groundwater pumped to the surface using power from the generator. The water can then be stored in a reservoir for drinking water.

The design uses readily available parts and tools. For example, both the feed pump and steam turbine are actually power-steering pumps used in cars and trucks. To generate electricity, the team uses an alternator, which is not as efficient as an ordinary generator, but comes already designed to charge a battery, which reduces some of the complexity of the system. And, like power-steering pumps, alternators, including less-expensive reconditioned ones, are easy to come by.

That's amazing they condense the engines fuel back down by heating domestic water. These guys even found a place for the Telsa Turbine. Something interesting I failed to mention before is that the tesla turbine is the only pump I'm aware of that can pump boiling liquid without problems.

Quote:Amy Sun, a graduate student in MIT's Media Lab, has designed an inexpensive system that uses heat from a solar concentrator to drive a type of turbine originally patented by Nicola Tesla. Rather than making complex, difficult-to-manufacture bladed turbines, Sun turned to the Tesla turbine, which consists of simpler flat disks stacked like records on a central shaft. The disks are carefully spaced to allow steam to flow between them. As the steam flows, friction between the steam and the surface of the disks causes them to rotate. "Once I have rotational shaft work, I can couple it to almost anything -- an air pump, compressor, fan, mixer, grinder, sewing machine, refrigeration compressor, and, to power those very few things that are truly electric in nature, an electric generator." She calculates that this system, which she says is simple enough for an eight-year old to make, can produce cheap power.

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_artic...&ch=biztech
-Bob Marley

09-15-2006, 06:06 PM,
The Tesla Turbine
I need to read and understand more about the Tesla Turbine.

However if it is so powerful it might be used in an over unity device using
the recombination of electron and atom.

For a starter use batteries and van de graff generator to spark some helium.
It might be hot enough to drive that Tesla Turbine to generate more that
enough electrical power to keep the generator and batteries and more going.

Thats over unity because the helium recovers its electron and recycled into
the spark chamber.

There is a nobel gas mixture engine with a patent.

I found my own post in a google search
on my favorite Dort generator over unity device.

The air gap has a vibrating inductor and circulating liquid air provides cooling and perhaps
has something to do with the vibration. I proposed the circulating aluminum disk with a hole
to alternate the air gap magnetic field.

All these ideas, if good, get writ up and submitted for patent and then bought up by holders
that want to keep their engines in production.

Only one group escaped with the good stuff and we just think about it.
09-19-2006, 06:28 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
I checked out that forum link and was interested to find out that new subs aren't nuclear. Can you explain the operation of the new engines TeslaandLyne? I think the real beauty of the tesla tubine is the sheer simplicity.
-Bob Marley

09-19-2006, 03:08 PM,
The Tesla Turbine
i havent read all of TFA but i just finished downloading/watching a fuck-load of tesla vids and patents.

i also had a facination for tesla and free-energy and meditation when i was a young fuck.

NOW its rekindled thanks to this torrent site and forum.

Now ive got a proposition for you all.

I want to build and test one of these things.

Anyone want to join me?

Im in Victoria, Australia.

???
09-20-2006, 04:00 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
I'd love to help. Unfortunatly I'm on the other side of the globe. Here's a web site that if you're really interested will help you out I'm sure. It's the Tesla Engine Builders Association. Seems to be alot of people home building these to prove the concept to themselves. One I read about even used cardboard for the disks and ran it on compressed air just to try it out.

http://www.teslaengine.org/main.html
-Bob Marley

09-20-2006, 05:13 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
Question...

Passing a magnet through a coil of copper creates electricity...

If you placed the magnet on something that floats (a cork?) in something like a thermometer, wouldn't it ride and fall,creating electricity continuously day and night as the temerature changed? To maximize the effect, you could trail heat-conductive wire to hot and hold places and swap them on and off. WTF? A field of such things... why not?

Sorry, I don't know anyone else to bounce these kinds of ideas off of.
09-20-2006, 06:41 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
I'm not sure if you could create signifigant power for the size unit you would have to build. Your talking about powering turbines or other engines for electrical generation with the expansion power of whatever substance we put in the "thermometer" The problem I see is a thermometer appears to move very signifigantly because the expansion is magnified by the small diameter of the upper portion of the tube. It really doesn't expand that much.

Currently turbines are powered mostly with explosive expansion of nitrogen gas. This is the root "power" behind combustion engines. Air is 70% nitrogen and nitrogen expands rapidly when heated. The oxygen and fuel are consumed simply to expand the nitrogen. This kind of power can't be replaced by the slow expansion of a liquid as the days temperature cycles. What you are really talking about is round about solar power because you're harnessing the heat the sun created.

Did you happen to check out the free energy from ocean water temp layers I put in my second post in this thread? I was totally amazed by it and I haven't recieved any replies connected with it. He proposed running a pipe to the bottom of the ocean where a super dense almost oxygen free layer of water sits. You inject air from the surface near the bottom of the pipe and this causes the water to heat and expand rising up the pipe at extreme pressures to power a turbine and be returned to the surface at the top. Multiple devices could be set up in offshore oil rig like platforms.

Here's an ocean wave power device using a similar idea to yours. There's actually alot of "bobbing" energy generators out there.

Quote:MANCHESTER, UK -- Think of a cork bouncing up and down in the waves. Think of harnessing that up and down motion. That is what a group from the University of Manchester is doing, in partnership with Mowlem plc and Royal Haskoning.

Their patented new wave energy device is known as the 'Manchester Bobber' -- a suitable name considering that Manchester was famous for bobbins, back in the cotton era.

The vision is to have a series of Bobbers working together to generate electricity. Tests at Manchester University suggest that the device could outperform wind farms.

One concept which is currently being explored is the use of decommissioned offshore rigs as platforms for the devices, elevated 65 feet above the sea. One rig, for example, fitted with bobbers could generate a mean of 5 megawatts.

Co-inventor of the Manchester Bobber, and Professor of Hydrodynamics at The University of Manchester, Professor Peter Stansby, said: "Offshore wave energy represents a substantial concentrated 'green' energy source for an island state like the UK.

"Energy from the sea may be extracted in many ways and harnessing the energy from the bobbing motion of the sea is not a new idea. It is the hydrodynamics of the float employed by the Manchester Bobber that provides the vital connection to generating electricity."

http://pesn.com/2005/10/06/9600184_Manchester_Bobber/

Stick with the turbine though I don't want to make this a free energy thread we can make another one. There's so much cool info on the tesla turbine out there. I googled it today and got this thread in like the top 20... :LOL:
-Bob Marley

09-20-2006, 08:20 AM,
The Tesla Turbine
Thank you Doe... that answers some of my questions definitively...

Sill... I'm on about heat differentials. and I think there are a lot of possibilities there. What if you went to extremes... sinking one end of a wire deep enough into the earth to draw geothermal heat, and putting the other end high into the sky for cooling effects... wouldnt this be unlimited power, at least as far as we humans are concerned?
09-20-2006, 08:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2006, 08:43 AM by JohnDoe1984.)
The Tesla Turbine
Geo-thermal has so much unused potential it's sick. 55% of America's electricity is made with coal.

Quote:It has been estimated that the geothermal potential in just Southern
California alone, could power the entire North American Continent
with NO POLLUTION! Large oil companies have comprehended the
potential of geothermal energy and have purchased many of these
large tracks of prime geothermal land.

Think about a closed loop system full of refrigerant. One side of the loop is buried thousands of feet underground with a large heat exchanger using heat from the earth to boil the refrigerant. The now high pressure gas refrigerant heads up a pipe to the surface where it runs through a tesla turbine to generate electricity. It leaves the exhaust of the turbine. First stage cooling is done by heating domestic water. The refrigerant runs through a final air cooled condenser where it is changed back to a liquid and runs down the pipe back underground for another trip. This could run day and night and would negate the need for storage batteries though I would use them anyway for reliability.
-Bob Marley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tesla info B4Time 5 2,666 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Last Post: TeslaandLyne
  Nokia self-charging cell phones using Tesla technology mastermg 2 2,381 07-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Last Post: mastermg
  Guy home-builds tesla coil and shoots 500,000 volts around his body mastermg 15 4,166 05-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  First Look at Tesla's Stunning Model S Weyland 5 2,523 03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Hans Olo
  Top Gear Tesla car test mothandrust 8 2,312 12-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Hans Olo
  Tesla Roadster Now Available With Warp Drive Weyland 1 991 11-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Tesla Technology/Feast for the Gods lntngstrikes 4 1,541 05-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Last Post: trueaim
  Nikola Tesla: The Missing Secrets ( part 3 of 4 ) TeslaandLyne 3 1,686 01-02-2008, 06:03 AM
  Tesla's 1930 Peirce Arrow electric? Blueku 2 1,490 12-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Last Post: unbreakable2007
  Tesla coil modied to play music waxzy 1 972 08-28-2007, 05:37 AM