Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Pot Smoker Arrested Every 40 Seconds
09-26-2006, 04:50 PM,
From RINF.co.uk

TKRA may like these stats as he wants anyone who consumes anything apart from TV, coffee and beer put on the back-arse of the moon by Hallibutron and Dyncore.

Quote:Tuesday, September 19th, 2006

But what about the real criminals?

Undernews

NORML - Police arrested an estimated 786,545 persons for marijuana violations in 2005, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s annual Uniform Crime Report, released today. The total is the highest ever recorded by the FBI, and comprised 42.6 percent of all drug arrests in the United States.

“These numbers belie the myth that police do not target and arrest minor marijuana offenders,” said NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre, who noted that at current rates, a marijuana smoker is arrested every 40 seconds in America.

Of those charged with marijuana violations, approximately 88 percent some 696,074 Americans were charged with possession only. The remaining 90,471 individuals were charged with “sale/manufacture,” a category that includes all cultivation offenses even those where the marijuana was being grown for personal or medical use. In past years, roughly 30 percent of those arrested were age 19 or younger.

“Present policies have done little if anything to decrease marijuana’s availability or dissuade youth from trying it,” St. Pierre said, noting young people in the U.S. now frequently report that they have easier access to pot than alcohol or tobacco.

The total number of marijuana arrests in the U.S. for 2005 far exceeded the total number of arrests in the U.S. for all violent crimes combined, including murder, manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Annual marijuana arrests have more than doubled since the early 1990s.

“Arresting hundreds of thousands of Americans who smoke marijuana responsibly needlessly destroys the lives of otherwise law abiding citizens,” St. Pierre said, adding that over 8 million Americans have been arrested on marijuana charges in the past decade. During this same time, arrests for cocaine and heroin have declined sharply, implying that increased enforcement of marijuana laws is being achieved at the expense of enforcing laws against the possession and trafficking of more dangerous drugs.

St. Pierre concluded: “Enforcing marijuana prohibition costs taxpayers between $10 billion and $12 billion annually and has led to the arrest of nearly 18 million Americans. Nevertheless, some 94 million Americans acknowledge having used marijuana during their lives. It makes no sense to continue to treat nearly half of all Americans as criminals for their use of a substance that poses no greater - and arguably far fewer - health risks than alcohol or tobacco. A better and more sensible solution would be to tax and regulate cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol and tobacco.”
"We are just glorified monkeys in suits.... show me where it's written we should be able to model the cosmos?!" -Terence McKenna, 21st Century Bard
R.I.P-ranks Terence. I miss your take on life.
=-=
09-26-2006, 05:04 PM,
Tax and regulate marijuana? That will never happen. The government makes too much behind the scenes distributing it along with all the other drugs.

One statistic that isn't in that article is the money they get in fines from those bullshit possesion charges. I know i've donated a hefty amount to that fund over the years...
09-27-2006, 06:49 AM,
It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on drug-users.
Knowledge moves mountains. Belief makes slaves.

Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. -- Tao Te Ching
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM,
Quote:It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on drug-users.
agreed
&Alice laughed, &There's no use trying,& she said: &one can't believe impossible things.& &I daresay you haven't had much practice,& said the Queen. &When I was your age I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.&
- Lewis Carroll

&Things are seldom as they seem ... Skim milk masquerades as cream.&
- Gilbert and Sullivan (Pinafore)

At NASA, it really is rocket science, and the decision makers really are rocket scientists.
But a body of research that is getting more and more attention points to the ways that smart people working collectively can be dumber than the sum of their parts. .. Irwin Janis? &Groupthink:& is a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members' striving for unanimity override realistic appraisals ? It is the triumph of concurrence over good sense, and authority over expertise.&
-John Schwartz & Matthew L. Wade
09-27-2006, 03:35 PM,
Quote:Tax and regulate marijuana? That will never happen. The government makes too much behind the scenes distributing it along with all the other drugs.

I think we all know that if it was legal. Alot of people would just grow thier own so it would probably be impossible to tax effectively. I'm betting this is a big reason not to legalize.

The war on drugs has made police work a piece of cake. This is nearly the only crime alot of police even go after because it's so easy. They can drive around and pick up drug user after drug user. It's alot more difficult and time consuming to catch a thief.

Normal police work has fallen by the wayside. All they do now is pull over a suspicous character, find drugs and arrest him. No actual police work involved. No crime to solve just a few rights to trample over.

They think they're doing a good job too because they get so many arrests makes the books look great.

Are you guys farmiliar with the statistic that America has more prisoners than any other nation in the world, including China. Forget thier billions of people we have more in jail than them. This isn't per capita. This is how many prisoners do you have. Not even this sobering statistic can sound the alarm bells with people?
&We didn't have education. We had inspiration. If I was educated, I'd be a damn fool.&
-Bob Marley

[Image: idiocracyforpres.jpg]
09-27-2006, 08:04 PM,
While it's true we have tons in prison, I still wouldn't trust any figures that the Chinese government gives out due to secret prisons and work gulags they probably don't report. But it's still true that America is the prison capital of the world and it's because of drugs and nothing else. I don't have a fact sheet to go off of, but if I were to guess I'd say at least 30% of the prison population in America is for non-violent drug offences.
The belief in 'coincidence' is the prevalent superstition of the Age of Science.

&I don't understand why you're taking such a belligerant tone when you're obviously the ignorant one here. &
-triplesix
09-27-2006, 08:07 PM,
Quote:It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on drug-users.
How very true....

An additional, lawyerly, interpretation of the ambiguous phrase "war on drugs" is:
"fighting wars financed by drug money". Or, inspired by WWII, a "fighting wars with soldiers on drugs";
Amphetamine and various of its derivatives were profusely admistered by authorities of both warring parties to their soldiers. Immediately after WWII the term 'battle fatigue' seems to owe much of its origin and justification to the symptoms and illness associated with kicking habits of (prolonged) crank use.
General Brainquirks:http://1phil4everyill.wordpress.com

Mind control imbued by movies:http://predictiveprogramminginmovies.blogspot.com

Movers and Shakers of the SMOM:http://moversandshakersofthesmom.blogspot...identity.html
09-28-2006, 02:08 AM,
Also - I heard that if you have a drugs conviction, no matter how minor - you can't get any funds or something for US Universities. Is this true?
"We are just glorified monkeys in suits.... show me where it's written we should be able to model the cosmos?!" -Terence McKenna, 21st Century Bard
R.I.P-ranks Terence. I miss your take on life.
=-=
09-28-2006, 02:42 AM,
Quote:America is the prison capital of the world
Cuba has an estimated 100,000 inmates according to the Cuban Commission on Human Rights and National Reconciliation, an independent organization in Havana. A 1995 U.N. report on Cuba's human rights situation in Cuba estimated there were between 100,000 and 200,000 prisoners in all categories.

If accurate, the figure of 100,000 inmates in an island of nearly 11.3 million people would give Cuba 888 inmates per 100,000 people, ahead of the United States, which, according to the Prison Studies center's latest report, has 701 inmates per 100,000.
&Alice laughed, &There's no use trying,& she said: &one can't believe impossible things.& &I daresay you haven't had much practice,& said the Queen. &When I was your age I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.&
- Lewis Carroll

&Things are seldom as they seem ... Skim milk masquerades as cream.&
- Gilbert and Sullivan (Pinafore)

At NASA, it really is rocket science, and the decision makers really are rocket scientists.
But a body of research that is getting more and more attention points to the ways that smart people working collectively can be dumber than the sum of their parts. .. Irwin Janis? &Groupthink:& is a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members' striving for unanimity override realistic appraisals ? It is the triumph of concurrence over good sense, and authority over expertise.&
-John Schwartz & Matthew L. Wade
09-28-2006, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2006, 03:21 AM by stillsearching.)
Keep in mind that phrase "follow the money"....

If you make something illegal, then money can be made on its enforcement.

This is part of an article on

...all criminal prosecution is for the purpose for raising revenue

When you go in the courts they always say they are operating under a statute jurisdiction. The Black's Law Dictionary 4th edition says a statute is a bond or obligation of record. That's what all the criminal statutes are........bonds or obligation of record. Go in and read the definition of a recognizance bond and you find that it is a bond or obligation of record. They are selling bonds. They are charging prisoners under a bond; the prisoner signs the bond and the bond becomes the agreement for the payback. This is done when the prisoner signs the final court papers at a sentencing hearing.

and then they sell that commercial paper on the open market. If you get a fine, it's like catch and release fishing.
...removed the link, wasn't working will fix

09-28-2006, 03:28 AM,
If the title to this thread were true, AJIG would no longer be posting here. ;)
10-13-2006, 05:44 AM,
Quote:Also - I heard that if you have a drugs conviction, no matter how minor - you can't get any funds or something for US Universities. Is this true?

It depends on the situation, but in some cases, if you apply for financial aid you'll be denied.

This kind of proves that the system is meant to keep people down. No college for stoners.

I'm in a diversion (TASC) program right now for a possesion charge. Sobriety is actually quite nice.

I can't even drink alcohol.
10-13-2006, 01:28 PM,
Quote:
Quote:Also - I heard that if you have a drugs conviction, no matter how minor - you can't get any funds or something for US Universities. Is this true?

It depends on the situation, but in some cases, if you apply for financial aid you'll be denied.

This kind of proves that the system is meant to keep people down. No college for stoners.

I'm in a diversion (TASC) program right now for a possesion charge. Sobriety is actually quite nice.

I can't even drink alcohol.

Just like what happened to eminem.

Forcing people to do what you tell them, especially over something so small and recreational as pot shows what an ignorant society we have.

Here in Canada we just gave a professor who smokes for medicinal purposes his own room to do so at the University of Toronto. Other profs narced him out before because they were showing their conservative side. Or perhaps they were jealous because this man could do something they cant handle.

Meanwhile, everyday stock brokers all over the world steal from old people in the name of profit and get their high from cash like the majority of folks out there.
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2010, 10:57 PM by Deathaniel.)
RE: A Pot Smoker Arrested Every 40 Seconds
Quote:Here in Canada we just gave a professor who smokes for medicinal purposes his own room to do so at the University of Toronto. Other profs narced him out before because they were showing their conservative side. Or perhaps they were jealous because this man could do something they cant handle.

Meanwhile, everyday stock brokers all over the world steal from old people in the name of profit and get their high from cash like the majority of folks out there.

supply and demand baby!!!!!
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California: Blacks, Latinos Arrested Disproportionately For Marijuana Possession Offe Easy Skanking 1 914 07-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Last Post: mexika