Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why There Almost Certainly Is No God
10-24-2006, 01:47 PM,
Dawkins: Why There Almost Certainly Is No God
An essay by Richard Dawkins, released on the same day as his new book, The God Delusion.
Snip:

America, founded in secularism as a beacon of eighteenth century enlightenment, is becoming the victim of religious politics, a circumstance that would have horrified the Founding Fathers. The political ascendancy today values embryonic cells over adult people. It obsesses about gay marriage, ahead of genuinely important issues that actually make a difference to the world. It gains crucial electoral support from a religious constituency whose grip on reality is so tenuous that they expect to be 'raptured' up to heaven, leaving their clothes as empty as their minds. More extreme specimens actually long for a world war, which they identify as the 'Armageddon' that is to presage the Second Coming. Sam Harris, in his new short book, Letter to a Christian Nation, hits the bull's-eye as usual:

"It is, therefore, not an exaggeration to say that if the city of New York were suddenly replaced by a ball of fire, some significant percentage of the American population would see a silver-lining in the subsequent mushroom cloud, as it would suggest to them that the best thing that is ever going to happen was about to happen: the return of Christ... Imagine the consequences if any significant component of the U.S. government actually believed that the world was about to end and that its ending would be glorious. The fact that nearly half of the American population apparently believes this, purely on the basis of religious dogma, should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency."

Does Bush check the Rapture Index daily, as Reagan did his stars? We don't know, but would anyone be surprised? My scientific colleagues have additional reasons to declare emergency. Ignorant and absolutist attacks on stem cell research are just the tip of an iceberg. What we have here is nothing less than a global assault on rationality, and the Enlightenment values that inspired the founding of this first and greatest of secular republics. Science education - and hence the whole future of science in this country - is under threat. Temporarily beaten back in a Pennsylvania court, the 'breathtaking inanity' (Judge John Jones's immortal phrase) of 'intelligent design' continually flares up in local bush-fires. Dowsing them is a time-consuming but important responsibility, and scientists are finally being jolted out of their complacency. For years they quietly got on with their science, lamentably underestimating the creationists who, being neither competent nor interested in science, attended to the serious political business of subverting local school boards. Scientists, and intellectuals generally, are now waking up to the threat from the American Taliban.

Link
[Image: absurditiesvoltaire300oh0.gif]
------------------
&I've come to the conclusion, after having spent many years in politics, is that our presidential elections turn out to be more of a charade than anything else, and I think that is true today. It is a charade,& - Ron Paul, Sept 2008.
------------------
We're in a lot of trouble, watch this - http://www.youtube.com/v/3L3QVn4JyYA
------------------
[Image: guns250x200dw9.jpg]
[Image: armiw4.gif]
------------------
You cannot tax someone's labor because that is slavery
- Ed Brown, June 18 2007
------------------
The world's &freeest& country has the highest number in prison.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The crisis of modern democracy is a profound one. Free elections, a free press and an independent judiciary mean little when the free market has reduced them to commodities available on sale to the highest bidder.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The era of manufacturing consent has given way to the era of manufacturing news. Soon media newsrooms will drop the pretense, and start hiring theater directors instead of journalists.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The structure of capitalism is flawed. The motor that powers it cannot but vastly increase the disparity between the poor and the rich globally and within countries as well. Parecon is a brave argument for replacing that flawed machine and offers a much needed -- more equitable, democratic, participatory -- alternative economic vision.
- arundhati roy
------------------
[The choice between John Kerry and George Bush] is not a real choice. It's an apparent choice. Like choosing a brand of detergent. Whether you buy Ivory Snow or Tide, they're both owned by Proctor & Gamble.
- arundhati roy
------------------
No government's condemnation of terrorism is credible if it cannot show itself to be open to change by nonviolent dissent
- arundhati roy
[Image: sigterrorgj3.jpg]
------------------
Dr. Hermann Oberth who pioneered rocket design for the German Reich during World War II and later advanced rocket technology for the American manned space launches, cryptically stated: "We cannot take the credit for our record advancement in certain scientific fields alone; we have been helped."

When asked by whom, he replied: "The people of other worlds."
10-24-2006, 02:06 PM,
Dawkins is an unimaginative cunt, who uses the strawman of often ludacris, so called "christianity" to prove his points.

:P
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd : Vituð ér enn eða hvat?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Image: madwolfoy0.jpg][Image: sharksmall1kd6.jpg][Image: bearkodiakchugachfe7.jpg]
10-24-2006, 02:50 PM,
Quote:Dawkins:

the threat from the American Taliban.
Using this kind of derogatory term is pure propaganda which will be a justification of a future persecution of all unbending theists which the NWO cannot control: Bible believing Christians, Torah following Jews and naturally all Muslims included.

form another review:
Quote:Richard Dawkins is notoriously coy when it comes to presenting his point of view, and here he is once again exhibiting his trademark one sidedness with a book that is neither revolutionary, earth shattering, nor noteworthy for contributing anything new to the whole existential theistic debate.
As Richard Dawkins famously declines to defend his anti theistic points of view in debates with Christian scientists, it is unsurprising that he is presenting his arguments in the form of thinking that is generally exhibited by most sceptics toward religion. This fails to take into account that the worst atrocities in history have been committed by avowedly secular regimes (USSR, Democratic Kampuchea) and the simple fact that most people who have comitted crimes in the name of God, or at least incited crimes to be comitted in the name of God, had other motivations as well, namely personal grievances (territorial losses, unresolved historical differences) or wanted to secure power (eg Mary Tudor).
Furthermore, Richard Dawkins takes little into account of the modern reconciliation between science and religion, which is not just notable in Christianity, but in Jewish and Islamic schools of thought as well. Therefore, Professor Dawkins may very well be writing from a personal point of view, rather than a rationalistic point of view. Richard Dawkins will remain a prominent figure in this debate for sometime, but undeservedly so, as there is nothing new, nor challenging, about the writing he produces.
'Prove and scrutinize all things; hold fast that which is good.'
'And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.' Paul of Tarsus

Rise to a higher plane? Look here
10-24-2006, 05:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2006, 05:37 PM by alexclaton.)
heres the video of "The Root of All Evil: The God Delusion"

http://opposingdigits.com/vlog/?p=944

pretty good, guy shows some good points, like bible supporting muder etc...

only thing i dont agree with him on is evolution =P

religion is and will always be a tool used to control the masses of ignorant dumbasses that believe cuz either they were told to or cuz they actually think its true...

ill give u an example of how rediculas religion is.... its based on faith(taking someones word for it...)

lets say i started telling everyone u was a child molesting rapist (this of course being false), however a whole lot of ppl that have never met u may believe this.... even tho there is no proof of it... that is faith....

believing things that are said about ppl NOONE has ever met without any proof that what has been said is true...

ill give u another example, ctrl said he became christian cuz he had a near death experience and saw hell or whatever and it made him believe... whether what he saw is true or not is irrelevant (i wouldnt be surprised if it was indeed true =P ) the problem is a lot of other ppl not seeing what he saw believe him and support his decision etc... problem is i tell ppl i made the world disappear for a few seconds and they think im insane... how is seeing hell any more realistic then me seeing the world disappear? its very simple ... ITS NOT! they are both things we saw in our minds that neither of us can prove but ppl will validate one based on their fear of a fictional place theyve been taught to be afraid of.... if a child has nightmares about hell because a bunch of fucked up christians tryed their best to scare the kid shitless provide proof that such a place exists? no it doesnt....

i hate christians trying to turn the questions around... ie asking ppl to disprove god... whether god exists or not is irrelevant... god DOES exist.... and there are lots of them... they all exist in the minds of men... however christians should be the ones to prove his existance do to the fact that they are the ones trying to convert the world.... dont believe me? go to a fucking evangelical mass and see for ur damn self...

its all based on faith... the biggest problem is they are taking a persons word whom theyve NEVER NOR WILL EVER MEET!

@ctrl : nothing against u, i was just using ur example as an example, and sorry if im mistakin at all on ur experience, if i am that example still applies to other ppl =P
10-24-2006, 09:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2006, 09:41 PM by DHammer.)
Quote:Scientists, and intellectuals generally, are now waking up to the threat from the American Taliban.

so how does this prove God doesn't exist again ? Because it doesn't. It's just plain stupid.
Matthew 7:14
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

10-24-2006, 10:19 PM,
The basis Dawkins uses to buttress his position is philosophically no different from the one any kind of religion embraces to defend itself. Evolution theory in a form assumed by most mainstream philosophers implies a linear passage of time and a similar evolution of life. That is, life emerged spontaneously from dead matter, bacteria formed, out of bacteria came more complex multi-cellular life forms, etc. etc., until we humans arrived on the scene evolved from an ancestor which we shared with primates. So the evolutionary framework Dawkins represents postulates a history of which, although sounding plausible, its actual veracity cannot be established. Surely a couple of billion years ago there weren't any advanced enough witnesses around and show to us today their records of allegedly life creating events as the unfolded over time. Basically the same goes for 'plain' religion. It too does refer to a long gone past in which also unfolded creative events, although admittedly in a possibly much shorter time interval. But again absent were any credible witnesses. In short, both the school of contemporary evolutionary theory and all the religions of the world have in common that the are based on... faith. So Dawkins is not much better than any religious zealot if either one is confronted with issues that pertain to the unrecorded past. Anyone who prefers either dogma while being intolerant of others solicits to be a fascist, at least that's how I see things.-_-

Speaking here is purely the left-brain fetish I-love-logic person that I am folks. I hold nothing against anybody being religious especially if it leads to a rich spiritual, conscious, moral and happy life. :)
General Brainquirks:http://1phil4everyill.wordpress.com

Mind control imbued by movies:http://predictiveprogramminginmovies.blogspot.com

Movers and Shakers of the SMOM:http://moversandshakersofthesmom.blogspot...identity.html
10-24-2006, 10:50 PM,
Quote:
Quote: Scientists, and intellectuals generally, are now waking up to the threat from the American Taliban.

so how does this prove God doesn't exist again ? Because it doesn't. It's just plain stupid.

u could always try proving god exists anywhere other then ur mind...
10-24-2006, 10:55 PM,
Quote:u could always try proving god exists anywhere other then ur mind...

you haven't changed A BIT did you since we last met ...
Matthew 7:14
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

10-24-2006, 11:30 PM,
Quote:
Quote:u could always try proving god exists anywhere other then ur mind...

you haven't changed A BIT did you since we last met ...
wtf made u think i did?
10-24-2006, 11:38 PM,
Quote:ill give u an example of how rediculas religion is.... its based on faith(taking someones word for it...)
It takes more faith to be an Atheist than to believe in God the Creator. I take God's Word for it:DWhose word do you take? Your own?
'And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.' Paul of Tarsus

10-24-2006, 11:42 PM,
Quote:
Quote: ill give u an example of how rediculas religion is.... its based on faith(taking someones word for it...)
It takes more faith to be an Atheist than to believe in God the Creator. I take God's Word for it:DWhose word do you take? Your own?

what makes u think im an atheist... i think darwinists are just as delusion as religious fundamentalists...

i dont take humans word for it...

god is irrelevant in all honesty... god is a personal thing and everyone should deal with god on their own... i have no problem with ppl believing in god... my problem is religion and ppl telling me what god or idea of god to believe in when thats something every individual has to do on their own...
10-25-2006, 02:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2006, 02:34 AM by psilocybin.)
The simple fact is, if there is a god, the burden of proof is on those who beleive in it.

I don't understand why theists can't see why some people don't beleive in god.

The reason I know there isn't a god is because I could have been born into a different family with a different religion. It's like rolling dice. I therefore extrapolated that everybody is full of shit.

People who try to say all religions are crawling up the same pole are using this as a device to invalidate the logic of my previous statement.

I do beleive it take more to not beleive in something, especially when you are marinating in it like in the US.

It strikes me as being funny that on a conspiracy website, some members blindly beleive in religion. It's like taking the 911 commision report at face value. Talk about semantic hypocrisy!
10-25-2006, 03:19 AM,
Quote:The simple fact is, if there is a god, the burden of proof is on those who beleive in it.

I don't understand why theists can't see why some people don't beleive in god.

The reason I know there isn't a god is because I could have been born into a different family with a different religion. It's like rolling dice. I therefore extrapolated that everybody is full of shit.

People who try to say all religions are crawling up the same pole are using this as a device to invalidate the logic of my previous statement.

I do beleive it take more to not beleive in something, especially when you are marinating in it like in the US.

It strikes me as being funny that on a conspiracy website, some members blindly beleive in religion. It's like taking the 911 commision report at face value. Talk about semantic hypocrisy!

exactly
10-25-2006, 07:52 AM,
Quote:It strikes me as being funny that on a conspiracy website, some members blindly beleive in religion. It's like taking the 911 commision report at face value. Talk about semantic hypocrisy!
Christians do not 'blindly believe': (read more)

What do you believe? In your own words:
Quote:I think humans will reach a level of consciousness that allows us to break our material bond.
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence showing people that have ESP, PK, TK and so on.
This is beyond our 3D understanding, yet it's here, although these are only fragments of what could be a greater whole.

Once we get to a higher stage, life and death won't be a worry to us, just anatural happening.
On the other hand someone who believes in nothing, is bluffing, a painful realist, or just doesn't give a shit.

Let's learn a lesson from Buddha, and take the middle path.
So you do believe in something beyond drugs, music and Nietzsche's 'God is dead'...

It always amazes me how people who claim to follow no religion, put together their beliefs like you do and roll your own religion. Your beliefs would most correctly be described as New Age by any social scientist. Getting to a higher consciousness - beyond matter, learning from Buddha are typical New Age concepts.

Being taken in by these New Age beliefs is taking the belief system promoted by the very elite who orchestrated 9/11, and who wants a new world order based on a higher global consciousness.

Talk about semantic hypocrisy!;)

10-25-2006, 08:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2006, 08:28 AM by alexclaton.)
if a person puts together their own beliefs then its not religion

religion is a large group of ppl believing/subscribing to the same kind of belief

a cult is a small group, a mini religion...

for us to say whether or not god exists we must first define god...

ive yet to get a solid definition as it changes from person to person...

i started a thread on the original forums that asks what is god...

god is "gold oil and drugs" or "gross old dick" take ur pick =P

joking aside god is in the mind of the individual... for even if christians believe in the same god their idea of him/her/it is different... ie every christian believes in a different god as no 2 christians can agree completely on what god is or what its like...