Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead at Florida home
06-29-2009, 05:33 AM,
Coincidence or what?

[Image: capt.856cd44b928c42aa8ad30bdbcbe2b5aa.ob..._ny113.jpg]

TAMPA, Fla. – Billy Mays, the burly, bearded television pitchman whose boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean made him a pop-culture icon, has died. He was 50.

Tampa police said Mays' wife found him unresponsive Sunday morning. A fire rescue crew pronounced him dead at 7:45 a.m. It was not immediately clear how he died. He said he was hit on the head when an airplane he was on made a rough landing Saturday, and his wife, Deborah Mays, told investigators he didn't feel well before he went to bed about 10 p.m. that night.

There were no signs of a break-in at the home, and investigators do not suspect foul play, said Lt. Brian Dugan of the Tampa Police Department, who wouldn't answer questions about how Mays' body was found because of the ongoing investigation. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days," Deborah Mays said in a statement Sunday. "Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

U.S. Airways confirmed that Mays was among the passengers on a flight that made a rough landing on Saturday afternoon at Tampa International Airport, leaving debris on the runway after apparently blowing its front tires.

Tampa Bay's Fox television affiliate interviewed Mays afterward.

"All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping," MyFox Tampa Bay quoted him as saying. "It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said linking Mays' death to the landing would "purely be speculation." She said Mays' family members didn't report any health issues with the pitchman, but said he was due to have hip replacement surgery in the coming weeks.

Laura Brown, spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said she did not know if Mays was wearing his seat belt on the flight because the FAA is not investigating his death.

U.S. Airways spokesman Jim Olson said there were no reports of serious injury due to the landing.

"If local authorities have any questions for us about yesterday's flight, we'll cooperate fully with them," he said.

Born William Mays in McKees Rocks, Pa., on July 20, 1958, Mays developed his style demonstrating knives, mops and other "As Seen on TV" gadgets on Atlantic City's boardwalk. For years he worked as a hired gun on the state fair and home show circuits, attracting crowds with his booming voice and genial manner.

AJ Khubani, founder and CEO of "As Seen on TV," said he first met Mays in the early 1990s when Mays was still pitching one of his early products, the Shammy absorbent cloth, at a trade fair. He said he most recently worked with Mays on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which follows Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs.

"His innovative role and impact on the growth and wide acceptance of direct response television cannot be overestimated or easily replaced; he was truly one of a kind," Khubani said of Mays in a statement.

After meeting Orange Glo International founder Max Appel at a home show in Pittsburgh in the mid-1990s, Mays was recruited to demonstrate the environmentally friendly line of cleaning products on the St. Petersburg-based Home Shopping Network.

Commercials and informercials followed, anchored by the high-energy Mays showing how it's done while tossing out kitschy phrases like, "Long live your laundry!"

Sarah Ellerstein worked closely with Mays when she was a buyer for the Home Shopping Network in the 1990s and he was pitching Orange Glo products.

"Billy was such a sweet guy, very lovable, very nice, always smiling, just a great, great guy," she said, adding that Mays met his future wife at the network. "Everybody thinks because he's loud and boisterous on the air that that's the way he is, but I always found him to be a quiet, down-to-earth person."

His ubiquitousness and thumbs-up, in-your-face pitches won Mays plenty of fans for his commercials on a wide variety of products. People lined up at his personal appearances for autographed color glossies, and strangers stopped him in airports to chat about the products.

"I enjoy what I do," Mays told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview. "I think it shows."

Mays liked to tell the story of giving bottles of OxiClean to the 300 guests at his wedding, and doing his ad spiel ("powered by the air we breathe!") on the dance floor at the reception. Visitors to his house typically got bottles of cleaner and housekeeping tips.

As part of "Pitchmen," Mays and Sullivan showed viewers new gadgets such as the Impact Gel shoe insert; the Tool Band-it, a magnetized armband that holds tools; and the Soft Buns portable seat cushion.

"One of the things that we hope to do with 'Pitchmen' is to give people an appreciation of what we do," Mays told The Tampa Tribune in an April interview. "I don't take on a product unless I believe in it. I use everything that I sell."

His former wife, Dolores "Dee Dee" Mays, of McKees Rocks, Pa., recalled that the first product he sold was the Wash-matik, a device for pumping water from a bucket to wash cars.

"I knew him since he was 15, and I always knew he had it in him," she said of Mays' success. "He'll live on forever because he always had the biggest heart in the world. He loved his friends and family and would do anything for them. He was a generous soul and a great father."

Besides his wife, Mays is survived by a 3-year-old daughter and a stepson in his 20s, police said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_billy_mays
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
06-29-2009, 08:58 AM,
They are apparently hiding the fact that Mays was hit in the head, hard, by things falling down in the airplane (luggage not secure?) when a tire blew. First the airline said "he was not wearing his seatbelt so it's his fault". Which is baloney, how would wearing a seatbelt have protected his head?

Looks to me like the news agency that puts this wording forward is working with the airline and the insurance company.

Quote:The FAA is already deflecting blame for the death of Billy Mays -- claiming the legendary TV pitchman wasn't wearing a seat belt when he took a shot to the head during a rough landing on a flight he was on yesterday.

We called the FAA for comment, and a spokesperson told us, "The passenger needs to wear a seat belt during landing and he didn't."

Source

Quote:Laura Brown, the FAA spokesperson who gave TMZ this quote about Billy Mays -- "The passenger needs to wear a seat belt during landing and he didn't" -- now says she didn't say it.

Source
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM by mexika.)
another sacrifice...they supposed kill in three. thats completes the number.

hey...will it get bigger?
Unite The Many, defeat the few.

Revolution is for the love of your people, culture, knowledge, wisdom, spirit, and peace. Not Greed!
Soul Rebel Native Son

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=277...enous&hl=en
06-29-2009, 04:05 PM,
My friends convinced it's a ritual thing as well (all of the recent deaths)
06-29-2009, 05:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2009, 10:38 PM by Weyland.)
It was years of inhaling OXICLEAN that finally fucked him.
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

As a reputed atheist, the reverential nature of his film was surprising, but Pasolini himself said &If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief.&

[Image: Copyofsoldier2.jpg]
06-29-2009, 07:47 PM,
So you think it was not the HARD HIT ON THE HEAD?
06-29-2009, 11:55 PM,
I was wondering what the bigger picture is here. Theres 4 that died that week, could this be some kind of warning or something?
[Image: Palestinian_Dawn_by_Palestinian_Pride.jpg]
06-30-2009, 12:51 AM,
Quote:I was wondering what the bigger picture is here. Theres 4 that died that week, could this be some kind of warning or something?

Remember there were 1000's maybe its just these were famous people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBtfeoXM8I

Fly on the Windscreen

Death is everywhere
There are flies on the windscreen
For a start
Reminding us
We could be torn apart
Tonight

Death is everywhere
There are lambs for the slaughter
Waiting to die
And I can sense
The hours slipping by
Tonight

Come here
Kiss me
Now
Come here
Kiss me
Now

Death is everywhere
The more I look
The more I see
The more I feel
A sense of urgency
Tonight

Come here (touch me)
Kiss me (touch me)
Now (touch me)
(touch me)

There are lambs for the slaughter

Come here (touch me)
Kiss me (touch me)
Now (touch me)
(touch me)
Come here (touch me)
Kiss me (touch me)
Now (touch me)
(touch me)

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

As a reputed atheist, the reverential nature of his film was surprising, but Pasolini himself said &If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief.&

07-01-2009, 10:48 PM,
Just saw this on imdb

"Acting Legend Karl Malden Dead At 97

Oscar winner Karl Malden has died at his home in Brentwood, Los Angeles, three years shy of his 100th birthday. The Streets of San Francisco star was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1912 and raised in Gary, Indiana - coincidentally the birthplace of Michael Jackson, who died last week. "

Does the plot thicken?
07-01-2009, 11:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2009, 11:50 PM by rsol.)
once again ill be on the defensive for the case here. IF he got a severe hit to the head, He can syffer the effects of the injury days or even weeks later if un checked he can simply die of a stroke. My mother used to work in ITU (intensive care) as a ward clark. She had told me of people who had had a relatively minor bump on the head. A day later they would complain of a head ache and lose consciousness. Discovered later is a burst blood vessel or a clot. can happen. we are such frail creatures.
07-02-2009, 01:36 AM,
Quote:Just saw this on imdb

"Acting Legend Karl Malden Dead At 97

Oscar winner Karl Malden has died at his home in Brentwood, Los Angeles, three years shy of his 100th birthday. The Streets of San Francisco star was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1912 and raised in Gary, Indiana - coincidentally the birthplace of Michael Jackson, who died last week. "

Does the plot thicken?

Shit I thought Karl Malden died years ago.

07-02-2009, 11:07 AM,
Quote:once again ill be on the defensive for the case here. IF he got a severe hit to the head, He can syffer the effects of the injury days or even weeks later if un checked he can simply die of a stroke.

Oh, absolutely. That's why the insurance company probably told that airline spokeswoman to STFU.
07-02-2009, 01:35 PM,
Clearly there is some massive conspiracy behind this fatality..esp. when put into sequence with the others.
07-02-2009, 02:07 PM,
Quote:Clearly there is some massive conspiracy behind this fatality..esp. when put into sequence with the others.

Until someone does the work to tie these celebrity deaths together, I'll have to hold back agreeing that such a conspiracy is 'clearly' demonstrated.
The Environment is out to KILL YOU!

Visit STRAWMAN MUSIC to find out how you can stop It's genocidal plans.
07-02-2009, 02:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2009, 02:15 PM by ---.)
Quote:
Quote:Clearly there is some massive conspiracy behind this fatality..esp. when put into sequence with the others.

Until someone does the work to tie these celebrity deaths together, I'll have to hold back agreeing that such a conspiracy is 'clearly' demonstrated.

It's as plain as day

edit) *cough* :fool:ahem..:P

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Jimmy Savile had sex with dead bodies drummer 4 406 06-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: JFK
  Bumpy roads ahead, found out my son has some serious health issues SiLVa 5 447 06-19-2014, 05:37 AM
Last Post: jack
  I am back at least for today lol, found something cool Weyland 1 514 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Last Post: thokling
  Announcing the military dead kevlar 59 9,593 10-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
Information I found a very interesting forum joeblow 3 981 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Last Post: mastermg
Tongue Christopher Story is dead, no more disinfo! :) joeblow 1 767 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Last Post: joeblow
  Weyland is in Florida ready to breathe in The African Dust cloud Weyland 9 2,092 07-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Last Post: hilly7
  Buying a home...What options are there? SiLVa 38 4,240 07-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Last Post: hilly7
  I am so proud of myself I finally found something worthy to post on CONCEN . Weyland 1 761 07-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Last Post: NickHedge
  Super-Taser shotgun that can knock down criminals from 100ft assessed by Home Office TriWooOx 4 1,771 04-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Deathaniel