• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia Plans Major Military Build-up
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM,
From the Guardian:

Quote:Mark Tran and agencies
Thursday February 8, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

Russia is planning to buy new intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear submarines and possibly aircraft carriers as part of an ambitious military programme, it emerged yesterday.

The defence minister, Sergei Ivanov, told parliament the military would have 17 new ballistic missiles this year - a hefty increase on the four deployed on average each year in recent times.

The purchases are part of a weapons modernisation programme for 2007-2015 worth about 5 trillion roubles (£96.4bn).

The programme envisages the deployment of 34 new silo-based Topol-M missiles and another 50 mounted on mobile launchers.

So far, Russia has deployed more than 40 silo-based Topol-Ms. The Russian president, Vladimir Putin, and other officials haSo far, ve described the Topol-M as the backbone of Russia's arsenal, saying it can penetrate any missile defences.

Last week, Mr Putin dismissed US claims that missile defence sites it hopes to establish in Poland and the Czech Republic were intended to counter threats from Iran. He said Russia would respond by developing more efficient weapons.

Russian defence spending has been rising steadily in recent years, buoyed by oil revenues and high energy prices. But the military effort is still puny compared with the US defence budget.

The White House this week requested $481.4bn (£244.8bn) for the regular military budget in 2008 and $235bn on top of that for Afghanistan and Iraq.

Analysts questioned whether the big Russian rises of recent years would really improve the dire state the military has been in since the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991.

"Nobody knows whether the dramatic increases will overcome Russia's military crisis, said Yuri Fedorov, an associate fellow at the London thinktank Chatham House. "The situation has not really improved because of the absence of real military reform, corruption and the war in Chechnya, which demonstrated that Russian land forces are in a desperate situation."

A rapid build-up of advanced weapons would also tax Russia's defence companies, which have received virtually no government orders for a decade.

"Links to subcontractors have been broken, and the defence plants now need to rebuild them to produce weapons," the independent military analyst Alexander Golts said.

Mr Ivanov said the military now had enough money to intensify combat training.

"Combat readiness of the army and the navy is currently the highest in the post-Soviet history," he said, adding that the task now was to "exceed Soviet-era levels".

Mr Ivanov said the military now had about 1.13 million servicemen compared with 1.34 million in 2001; by 2015 the military would have about 1 million servicemen. "We can't go below that," he warned.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0...rss&feed=12
02-09-2007, 10:01 AM,
Who can blame Russia for increasing it’s weapons spending when it’s as plain as day that GW-Bush and the thugs in the Whitehouse are making a grab for the worlds oil.

Russia will help protect Iran and if china does the same then we will see WWIII or America gets yet another Vietnam.

Apparently Russia is way ahead of America when it comes to missile technology and America has no answer that can protect their aircraft carriers in the gulf.
9/11 was an inside job and the economy is going into meltdown so keep some spare food put by just in case justice is right.
02-26-2007, 05:25 PM,
I realy would like to know were Russia is geting there $$$ from ?
02-28-2007, 09:39 AM,
Quote:I realy would like to know were Russia is geting there $$$ from ?

Most likely from the revenue gatherd from it's massive oil and gas reserves... and maybe some from it's vodka exports? :drunk: :tongue:
02-28-2007, 11:16 AM,
I support Russia in this decision actually. They have made it clear that they will be defending Iran if/when the United States and Israel decide to take further destructive action. They have assets to protect there.

I hope they can find all those nukes that they hid during the cold war ^_^

- typhoid
The Truth Will Set You Free
03-01-2007, 11:45 AM,
Make no mistake that if Russia backs Iran as I think they will then I can not see uncle sam wining a war fought in Iran as they can not even control Afghanistan or Iraq so what chance do they have against Iran that will be provided with missiles that are ten years more advance than anything the Americans have and can take out aircraft carriers from 100’s of miles away.

America has threaten to use nukes well two can play that game and if America uses Israel to do it’s dirty work then they are fooling no one as everyone one knows who is pulling the string and who provided them with weapons and satellite battle damage information. Israel may live up to it biblical legend after all.

I can understand people being anti Russian after a life time of propaganda about them coming from the BBC but imagine what live would be like by now if no nation was able to hold GW-Bush and the mad men in the Whitehouse to account. I think the new world order would be telling me what I can and can not eat on a Friday by now.
9/11 was an inside job and the economy is going into meltdown so keep some spare food put by just in case justice is right.
03-02-2007, 12:09 AM,
Quote:I support Russia in this decision actually. They have made it clear that they will be defending Iran if/when the United States and Israel decide to take further destructive action. They have assets to protect there.

I hope they can find all those nukes that they hid during the cold war ^_^

- typhoid

I already told you, Russia will NOT defend Iran.

If the Russians had intended to defend Iran, Putin would have said nothing and US aircraft would fly in and find themselves staring at MiG-31s or whatever, or seen a wave of Russian aircraft on their radar crossing the border and probably aborted the mission.

Putin said Russia would defend Iran, therefore the Russians have no intention of doing anything.

It's just political rhetoric designed to sway world opinion against the US to prevent any military action.

I guarandamntee you, when the US attacks Iran, and it is 'when' and not 'if', the Russians will do nothing militarily.
03-02-2007, 04:46 AM,
Russia won't start anything. They won't even build that Nuclear power plant for Iran. From what I'm seeing Russia has no intentions on fighting for Iran.
The belief in 'coincidence' is the prevalent superstition of the Age of Science.

&I don't understand why you're taking such a belligerant tone when you're obviously the ignorant one here. &
-triplesix
03-11-2007, 02:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2012, 01:18 AM by proteinspill.)
-edit-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Israeli Military Torturing Palestinian Children ~viewer discretion~ mexika 2 424 08-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Last Post: rockingtheboat
  Gaza Death Toll Passes 200, Israel Steps Up Military Offensive bristopen 161 14,185 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Last Post: nofunclub
  Video: Paul J. Watson – Evidence to Frame Russia For MH17 Shoot Down Fabricated? Orwell63 1 355 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Mimon Pupu
  Ex-Military Chief Sisi to Save Egypt bristopen 0 247 05-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Last Post: bristopen
  Ukraine Gives Russia 48-Hr Ultimatum Or "We Will Fight" drummer 1 279 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
  Obama defends U.S. invasion of Iraq while criticizing Russia mexika 0 280 03-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Last Post: mexika
  Crimea Votes To Leave Ukraine, Join Russia mexika 0 255 03-07-2014, 11:46 PM
  If They Can Sanction Russia Over Crimea, We Can Sanction Israel Over Palestine mexika 1 400 03-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Steroidal
  U.S. Military Sends Fighter Jets To Assist NATO Among Ukraine Crisis mexika 0 306 03-06-2014, 11:51 PM
  Russia test fires intercontinental ballistic missile amid Crimea tension drummer 0 247 03-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Last Post: drummer