Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inuit Seek Answers To Arctic Sun Quirks
03-11-2007, 07:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM by deathstickboy.)
Inuit seek answers to Arctic sun quirks
Last Updated: Friday, March 9, 2007 | 6:21 PM ET
CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/03/09/nu-sun.html

Some Inuit say they hope scientists coming to Nunavut for research as part of International Polar Year can help shed light on changes they're seeing in the sun — particularly, how it's been showing up more often in the usually always-dark winters.

For the past several years, residents in the High Arctic have observed that the winter dark season is ending earlier than usual, with the sun coming up at a different place than what people are used to seeing.

"The people [are] talking about earlier sunrise, more light in the dark season, instead of being more total darkness than before," Grise Fiord resident Larry Audlaluk said Thursday, adding that he has heard similar observations from people in other Far North communities.

"There are notices of more daylight earlier, and the dark season is not the real dark season that we used to know."

A bit further south, Igloolik Mayor Paul Quassa said hunters have noticed the same phenomenon.

"This year, the sun started coming up so fast that it's almost like April when it's mid-February," he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is the earth shifting on its axis?

Hmm the Earth and the Sun could have a greater influence on "global warming" than Al Gore thinks....
:biggrin:
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd : Vituð ér enn eða hvat?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Image: madwolfoy0.jpg][Image: sharksmall1kd6.jpg][Image: bearkodiakchugachfe7.jpg]
03-12-2007, 09:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2007, 09:52 AM by atomsk.)
Wow, that's odd. The planet is tilting? Maybe America should send all its fat people to China.
03-12-2007, 02:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM by Phil999.)
wow, that is remarkable. I mean, apart from the gw-discussion, such significant changes are ...em ... significant! We - or "the scientists" - need to collect all data available about the earlier sunrise phenomenon.

Quote:Wayne Davidson, who is the resident meteorologist in Resolute Bay,

said the likely cause of this "rising sun" mystery is a temperature

difference between the very cold air over the snow and the air

above, which has been warmer than usual.

Glaciologist Dr. Roy Koerner, with the Geological Survey of Canada,

agreed, comparing it to sticking a fork into a glass of water: the

fork appears to bend where it enters the water, he said.

"So you get the same effect: you get this bent effect. Except in

this case, the sun, which is just below the horizon, looks as if

it's above the horizon, just a bit of it," he said.

unbelievable. Such a "bending effect" cannot explain that

Quote:"This year, the sun started coming up so fast that it's almost like

April when it's mid-February,"

Such scientists are absolutely ridiculous and should go flip hamburgers at McDonald's instead of wasting tax payer's money with their completely unscientific nonsense.
I am my savior
03-12-2007, 03:11 PM,
Quote:wow, that is remarkable. I mean, apart from the gw-discussion, such significant changes are ...em ... significant! We - or "the scientists" - need to collect all data available about the earlier sunrise phenomenon.

Quote:Wayne Davidson, who is the resident meteorologist in Resolute Bay,

said the likely cause of this "rising sun" mystery is a temperature

difference between the very cold air over the snow and the air

above, which has been warmer than usual.

Glaciologist Dr. Roy Koerner, with the Geological Survey of Canada,

agreed, comparing it to sticking a fork into a glass of water: the

fork appears to bend where it enters the water, he said.

"So you get the same effect: you get this bent effect. Except in

this case, the sun, which is just below the horizon, looks as if

it's above the horizon, just a bit of it," he said.

unbelievable. Such a "bending effect" cannot explain that

Quote:"This year, the sun started coming up so fast that it's almost like

April when it's mid-February,"

Such scientists are absolutely ridiculous and should go flip hamburgers at McDonald's instead of wasting tax payer's money with their completely unscientific nonsense.

:laugh: I was wondering when someone would spot that. I was incredulous as well.
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd : Vituð ér enn eða hvat?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Image: madwolfoy0.jpg][Image: sharksmall1kd6.jpg][Image: bearkodiakchugachfe7.jpg]
03-12-2007, 07:09 PM,
I rememebr recently seeing a video about the mayans and the year 2012, It talked about the galactic alignment on the 21st December 2012, It spoke about the gravitational pull on the earth in the few years leading upto, join and the few years after that date. It said that it will casue massive tsunami's & can also make the earth spin off its axis making the sun rise at a different location to what we are use to

I cant rember the name of the video, but I know I got the link to it from this forum if anyone else can remember it ??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DNA computer 'answers questions' TriWooOx 0 855 08-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  U.S. releases unclassified spy images of Arctic ice --- 0 645 07-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Last Post: ---
  Scientists seek ways to ward off killer asteroids --- 0 668 12-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Last Post: ---
  Glaciers grew even when alligators lived in Arctic SerialExpLain 0 557 01-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Last Post: SerialExpLain
  A huge drop in sea ice sparks plea: 'The Arctic is screaming' SerialExpLain 1 930 12-16-2007, 02:23 AM
  Arctic Sea Ice Hits Record Low (September 2007) SerialExpLain 2 1,254 10-22-2007, 11:54 PM
  Ancient Ice Shelf Breaks Free In Arctic wokensheep 6 1,488 01-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Last Post: AnThOnY`
  Espanola Ontario Residents Petition Gov For Answers shure 0 809 11-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Last Post: shure
  Physicists Seek To Put One Thing In Two Places pizzaman777 3 754 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Last Post: conno333
  Printers found to give off tiny particles in a study that raises more questions than answers 0 334 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: