Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mexico Legallizes Drugs For Personal Use.
04-07-2007, 05:14 PM,
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193616,00.html

Quote:Mexico's Congress Legalizes Drugs for Personal Use

Friday, April 28, 2006

MEXICO CITY — Mexico's Congress approved a bill Friday decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine and heroin for personal use — a measure sure to raise questions in Washington about Mexico's commitment to the war on drugs.

The only remaining step was the signature of President Vicente Fox, whose office indicated he would sign it.

Supporters said the law would let police focus on drug smuggling, rather than on busting casual users. The bill also would stiffen many drug-related penalties: for trafficking, for possession near schools, and for possession of even small quantities by government employees.

Criminal penalties for drug sales would remain on the books.

"We can't close our eyes to this reality," said Sen. Jorge Zermeno, of Fox's conservative National Action Party. "We cannot continue to fill our jails with people who have addictions."

The administration of U.S. President George W. Bush scrambled to come up with a response.

"We're still studying the legislation, but any effort to decriminalize illegal drugs would not be helpful," a U.S. diplomat said on condition of anonymity.

If this isn't going to be a big tourism booster I don't know what is... LOL :biggrin:
&We didn't have education. We had inspiration. If I was educated, I'd be a damn fool.&
-Bob Marley

[Image: idiocracyforpres.jpg]
04-07-2007, 06:14 PM,
Fox did not sign this, it was vetoed. It is still a crime to possess any amount of said items in Mexico.
I always thought there might be a lot of cash in starting a religion-George Orwell
04-07-2007, 06:16 PM,
Last spring, Mexico's congress passed a bill that would have decriminalized the personal use of drugs. The bill was similar to what had been done in Portugal five years before (and much of Europe has already decriminalized the possession and use of softer drugs like marijuana). President Vicente Fox promised to sign the bill, but after a complete freakout by American officials over the perceived consequences of such a move, Fox vetoed it. The legislature made an effort to override his veto, but nothing came about before the summer elections, when Felipe Calderon was elected in a close, controversial election.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/3/18/15029/8905
I always thought there might be a lot of cash in starting a religion-George Orwell
04-07-2007, 08:10 PM,
A similar bill was passed last year covering the same things. It stood for about a week and then they changed the laws back. Too bad as I was planning on taking a nice little vacation in Mexico to enjoy the local atmosphere. hehe
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after
equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ” -Nikola Tesla

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
04-07-2007, 08:49 PM,
It doesn't need to be legal to still enjoy the atmosphere. Recreational drugs are not legal but readily available in border towns. You can stay in a hotel and the door men can get you what you need. They are not going to come out and say it's legal because of US politics but they could give a shit abotu small amounts. Many of the local law enforcement supplement their meager income with side enterprising of drugs. Don't be stupid and you will be fine.
04-07-2007, 10:37 PM,
They would never pass it. The SPP is coming...

MMM
Give me the judgment of balanced minds in preference to laws every time. Codes and manuals create patterned behavior. All patterned behavior tends to go unquestioned, gathering destructive momentum.
- Darwi Odrade
04-10-2007, 11:11 PM,
Quote:Don't be stupid and you will be fine.

This is what sucks though. Having to go about your life in secret while the mass murderers operate in daylight.
[Image: paulbanneroc1.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up How to Make Money Selling Drugs - Instructional Video CharliePrime 1 695 10-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Last Post: thokling
  Drug War in Mexico mexika 0 555 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Last Post: mexika
  Dispatch from Ciudad Juárez, Mexico mexika 0 769 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
  CIA-DoD Death Squads & Mexican corruption intertwined, War for Drugs Continues h3rm35 7 2,973 09-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Last Post: h3rm35
  How the Militarized War on Drugs in Latin America Benefits Transnational Corporations mexika 0 728 08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
  U.S. Tells South America to Shut Up About Legalizing Drugs mexika 0 654 03-01-2012, 02:12 AM
  US-Trained Assassin Teams Now Deployed in Drug War - Mexico mexika 0 743 09-08-2011, 05:22 PM
  Mexico Fades - CIA making money mexika 0 679 09-08-2011, 01:30 AM
  CIA, US Military Operating Inside Mexico?s ?Drug War? Confirmed. mexika 0 607 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM
  The War On Drugs Is A $2.5 Trillion Racket: How Big Banks, Private Military Com mexika 0 882 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM