Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ban The Bulb?
04-08-2007, 09:26 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
this is sickening those pricks are into everything EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
&Spirituality is not a child play. My words will tear apart anyone who listens to them....&
&The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live.&

- Nisargadatta Maharaj
04-09-2007, 12:49 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
I don't care about the ecology of a bulb, but when I owned my own home, I did switch over to CFL's and would say they did live up to their "X-thousand hour" promise. I've bought many "1000 hour" incandescent bulbs in my life, and 1000 hours seems like a crock of shit. My power bill did go down too.
04-09-2007, 01:12 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
LED's is where it's at IMO. Low energy, and hella bright. Anyone have anything negative to say about LED's? I'm all ears.
NM 156
by Queensrÿche

Uniform printout reads end of line,Protect code intact leaves little time
Erratic surveys, free thinking not allowed,My hands shake, my push buttons silence
The outside crowd

One world government has outlawed war among nations,Now social control requires population termination

Have we come too far,To turn around,Does emotion hold the key
Is logic just a synonym for,This savagery, disguised in
Forgotten lost memory

Microchip logic,have we no more thought
&Is this wrong& I enter,Answers sought
Punch, punch, punch, transfer this data
Into code. Wide eyes watch my Number 156 is shown
Created from past life to perform,Illicit function, I fail this conscious
Madness I man/machine imperfection
04-09-2007, 02:23 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
Quote:LED's is where it's at IMO. Low energy, and hella bright. Anyone have anything negative to say about LED's? I'm all ears.

I have something negative to say about them.

I've seen more than one make of car using LED's as the 3rd, high mount brake light.
Once a few years old, they seem to have burned out LEDS. This would be an expensive
repair, and require soldering in new ones...... easier to simply change an SAE 1156 12v bulb.

I'm not faulting the technology, only the application thereof.
04-09-2007, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2007, 03:16 AM by bando.)
Ban The Bulb?
Perhaps if they made them easier to repair such as plugging them in or screwing them in place.

Also CTRL, I know your a car expert, so how does a couple years compare to normal bulbs. I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject, perhaps you could shed some light(pun semi-intended).
NM 156
by Queensrÿche

Erratic surveys, free thinking not allowed,My hands shake, my push buttons silence
The outside crowd

One world government has outlawed war among nations,Now social control requires population termination

Forgotten lost memory

04-09-2007, 03:31 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
I'm experimenting since some time with LED's, especially the white ones, but I somehow dislike the cold light they give. I'm waiting for strong white LED's with a warmer light spectrum.
I am my savior
04-09-2007, 03:55 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
Ya I know what you mean, they seem empty in part of the spectrum.
NM 156
by Queensrÿche

The outside crowd

Forgotten lost memory

04-09-2007, 05:21 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
Me a car expert? :laugh:
I'm just a car owner and speed demon.
04-09-2007, 01:22 PM,
Ban The Bulb?
Quote:And guess where the extra purchase prices for these CFLs will wind up? In the pockets of Chinese manufacturers, because not a single CFL is produced in the US.
http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=21412
are they really only made in china ?

That 50,000 pounds of mercury-
sounds like a lot of mercury
&Alice laughed, &There's no use trying,& she said: &one can't believe impossible things.& &I daresay you haven't had much practice,& said the Queen. &When I was your age I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.&
- Lewis Carroll

&Things are seldom as they seem ... Skim milk masquerades as cream.&
- Gilbert and Sullivan (Pinafore)

At NASA, it really is rocket science, and the decision makers really are rocket scientists.
But a body of research that is getting more and more attention points to the ways that smart people working collectively can be dumber than the sum of their parts. .. Irwin Janis? &Groupthink:& is a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members' striving for unanimity override realistic appraisals ? It is the triumph of concurrence over good sense, and authority over expertise.&
-John Schwartz & Matthew L. Wade
04-12-2007, 10:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2007, 10:35 AM by shag.)
Ban The Bulb?
Quote:I'm experimenting since some time with LED's, especially the white ones, but I somehow dislike the cold light they give. I'm waiting for strong white LED's with a warmer light spectrum.

You can get led lights with "warmer" light outputs. They however do cost more. I think eventualy led's will be the better choice. They have come a long way in the last couple of years in regards to cost / light intensity and light quality. The emitters tend to have quite tight beams though. So they require either difusing or closely spread fittings to give an even light.

I plan on using LED's in my survival container and use them for tramping. You'll be surprised just how bright a little 1.25W LED can be. It also has the benifit of a very long battery life. Seriously, that single led with a 20+ hr battery life on 3* AAA cells gives off a blinding light that can let you see long distances.

EDIT:

And I do use CFL bulbs in most situations now. I know they are worse for the enviroment but they do last a butload longer than your average incandescent (which will always give the best light)
04-12-2007, 08:03 PM,
Ban The Bulb?
Quote:You can get led lights with "warmer" light outputs.
I will have a look at those. I have a friend who is collecting crystals, and to display them at the market, he needs an efficient full spectrum light source. We are trying things since years.

The best light quality I have seen so far come from "true light" neon tubes. They have a similar spectrum to the sunlight. But it's only useful in factories or offices with constant artificial lighting.
I am my savior
04-22-2007, 04:37 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
I just rememberd a couple of things that I hadn't mentioned. Flourescent lamps can't be dimmed. A switch with a dimmer attached and a CFL on the other end is a bad mix.

I am starting to wonder just how much damage is going to be done to the enviroment. You know that a very small percentage of end of life lamps will be disposed of in a propper manner. The rest will be in leaky land fills leaching into your towns water supplies...
05-03-2007, 06:33 AM,
Ban The Bulb?
arent we ever safe...