Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wirelessly Powered Devices
06-07-2007, 10:30 PM,
Source: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...t-mdw060107.php

MIT demonstrates wireless power transfer

Work could free cell phones, other portable electronics from power cords

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Imagine a future in which wireless power transfer is feasible: cell phones, household robots, mp3 players, laptop computers and other portable electronics capable of charging themselves without ever being plugged in, freeing us from that final, ubiquitous power wire. Some of these devices might not even need their bulky batteries to operate. A team from MIT’s Department of Physics, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies (ISN) has experimentally demonstrated an important step toward accomplishing this vision of the future. The team members are Andre Kurs, Aristeidis Karalis, Robert Moffatt, Prof. Peter Fisher, and Prof. John Joannopoulos (Francis Wright Davis Chair and director of ISN), led by Prof. Marin Soljacic. Realizing their recent theoretical prediction, they were able to light a 60W light bulb from a power source seven feet (more than two meters) away; there was no physical connection between the source and the appliance. The MIT team refers to its concept as “WiTricity” (as in wireless electricity). The work will be reported in the June 7 issue of Science Express, the advance online publication of the journal Science...

...While these considerations are universal, applying to all kinds of resonances (e.g., acoustic, mechanical, electromagnetic, etc.), the MIT team focused on one particular type: magnetically coupled resonators. The team explored a system of two electromagnetic resonators coupled mostly through their magnetic fields; they were able to identify the strongly coupled regime in this system, even when the distance between them was several times larger than the sizes of the resonant objects. This way, efficient power transfer was enabled. Magnetic coupling is particularly suitable for everyday applications because most common materials interact only very weakly with magnetic fields, so interactions with extraneous environmental objects are suppressed even further. “The fact that magnetic fields interact so weakly with biological organisms is also important for safety considerations,” Kurs, a graduate student in physics, points out.
NM 156
by Queensrÿche

Uniform printout reads end of line,Protect code intact leaves little time
Erratic surveys, free thinking not allowed,My hands shake, my push buttons silence
The outside crowd

One world government has outlawed war among nations,Now social control requires population termination

Have we come too far,To turn around,Does emotion hold the key
Is logic just a synonym for,This savagery, disguised in
Forgotten lost memory

Microchip logic,have we no more thought
&Is this wrong& I enter,Answers sought
Punch, punch, punch, transfer this data
Into code. Wide eyes watch my Number 156 is shown
Created from past life to perform,Illicit function, I fail this conscious
Madness I man/machine imperfection
06-07-2007, 10:39 PM,
Isn't this what Tesla did?
NM 156
by Queensrÿche

Erratic surveys, free thinking not allowed,My hands shake, my push buttons silence
The outside crowd

One world government has outlawed war among nations,Now social control requires population termination

Forgotten lost memory

06-07-2007, 11:23 PM,
Yeah basically. Tesla was just screwed, too brilliant for his time. I saw a special on this where you just place your cellphone on a special pad and it uses a resonanting frequency to recharge the cell phone. I'm convinced that free energy can be obtained from a variation of this technique. Like that guy who can set salt water on fire. No doubt about it we live in some futuristic times. I remember the 80's when a clock radio was the shit, haha.
&We grow to recognize form. We grow to label that form. In doing so, do we become more intelligent? Do we become more awakened?& - Siji Tzu 四季子
06-08-2007, 12:34 AM,
and here is the BBC's take on it <

Quote:<span style="color:#FFFFFF">Wireless energy promise powers up
By Jonathan Fildes
Science and technology reporter, BBC News

A clean-cut vision of a future freed from the rat's nest of cables needed to power today's electronic gadgets has come one step closer to reality. US researchers have successfully tested an experimental system to deliver power to devices without the need for wires. The setup, reported in the journal Science, made a 60W light bulb glow from a distance of 2m (7ft).

WiTricity, as it is called, exploits simple physics and could be adapted to charge other devices such as laptops. "There is nothing in this that would have prevented them inventing this 10 or even 20 years ago," commented Professor Sir John Pendry of Imperial College London who has seen the experiments. "But I think there is an issue of time. In the last few years we have seen an exponential growth of mobile devices that need power. The power cable is the last wire to be cut in a wireless connection." Professor Moti Segev of the Israel Institute of Technology described the work as "truly pioneering".

Energy gap

The researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) who carried out the work outlined a similar theoretical setup in 2006, but this is the first time that it has been shown to work. "We had a strong faith in our theory but experiments are the ultimate test," said team member Assistant Professor Marin Soljacic. "So we went ahead and sure enough we were successful, the experiments behave very much like the theory." The experimental setup consisted of two 60cm (2ft) diameter copper coils, a transmitter attached to a power source and a receiver placed 2m (7ft) away and attached to a light bulb. With the power switched on at the transmitter, the bulb would light up despite there being no physical connection between the two.

Measurements showed that the setup could transfer energy with 40% efficiently across the gap. The bulb was even made to glow when obstructions such as wood metal, electronic devices were placed between the two coils. "These results are encouraging. The numbers are not far from where you would want for this to be useful," said Professor Soljacic.

Power cycle

The system exploits "resonance", a phenomenon that causes an object to vibrate when energy of a certain frequency is applied. When two objects have the same resonance they exchange energy strongly without having an effect on other surrounding objects. There are many examples of resonance. "If you fill a room with hundreds of identical glasses and you fill each one with a different level of wine each one will have a different acoustic resonance," explained Professor Soljacic.

Each glass would ring with a different tone if knocked with a spoon, for example. "Then if I enter the room and start singing really loudly one of the glasses may explode if I hit exactly the right tone." Instead of using acoustic resonance, WiTricity exploits the resonance of very low frequency electromagnetic waves. In the experiment both coils were made to resonate at 10Mhz, allowing them to couple and for "tails" of energy to flow between them. "With each cycle arriving, more pressure, or voltage in electrical terms, builds up in this coil," explained Professor Pendry.

Over a number of cycles the voltage gathered until there was enough pressure, or energy, at the surface to flow into the light bulb. This accumulation of energy is why a wine glass does not smash immediately when a singer hits the right tone. "The wine glass is gathering energy until it has enough power to break that glass," said Professor Pendry.

Human interference

Using low frequency electromagnetic waves, which are about 30m (100ft) long, also has a safety advantage according to Professor Pendry. "Ordinarily if you have a transmitter operating like a mobile phone at 2GHz - a much shorter wavelength - then it radiates a mixture of magnetic and electric fields," he said. This is a characteristic of what is known as the "far field", the field seen more than one wavelength from the device. At a distance of less than one wavelength the field is almost entirely magnetic. "The body really responds strongly to electric fields, which is why you can cook a chicken in a microwave," said Sir John.

"But it doesn't respond to magnetic fields. As far as we know the body has almost zero response to magnetic fields in terms of the amount of power it absorbs." As a result, the system should not present any significant health risk to humans, said Professor Soljacic.

Future promise

The team from MIT is not the first group to suggest wireless energy transfer.

Nineteenth-century physicist and engineer Nikola Tesla experimented with long-range wireless energy transfer, but his most ambitious attempt - the 29m high aerial known as Wardenclyffe Tower, in New York - failed when he ran out of money(<span style="color:#FF0000">read financial backing pulled when they realised he was tapping free energy). Others have worked on highly directional mechanisms of energy transfer such as lasers. However, unlike the MIT work, these require an uninterrupted line of sight, and are therefore not good for powering objects around the home. Professor Soljacic and his team are now looking at refining their setup. "This was a rudimentary system that proves energy transfer is possible. You wouldn't use it to power your laptop. "The goal now is to shrink the size of these things, go over larger distances and improve the efficiencies," said Professor Soljacic.

The work was done in collaboration with his colleagues Andre Kurs, Aristeidis Karalis, Robert Moffatt, John Joannopoulos and Peter Fisher.

HOW WIRELESS POWER COULD WORK
1) Power from mains to antenna, which is made of copper
2) Antenna resonates at a frequency of about 10MHz, producing electromagnetic waves
3) 'Tails' of energy from antenna 'tunnel' up to 2m (6.5ft)
4) Electricity picked up by laptop's antenna, which must also be resonating at 10MHz. Energy used to re-charge device
5) Energy not transferred to laptop re-absorbed by source antenna. People/other objects not affected as not resonating at 10MHz
&Advertising has these people chasing cars and clothes they don't need.
Generations have been working in jobs they hate, just so they can buy what they don't really need.&
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 19
06-08-2007, 09:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2007, 09:58 AM by fjaneson.)
So this should give everyone an idea of what else was'invented' 100 years ago and is only now just being
talked about by the 'experts'. Imagine if 1/10 of the devices of that era were available to us with 100 years of research behind them. I don't even want to think about the medical industry. Or aerospace.

I agree with those who credit this to Tesla. Interesting articles. Thanks alot.
06-08-2007, 07:30 PM,
The End Of The Plug? Scientists Invent Wireless Device That Beams Electricity Through Your Home
The end of the plug? Scientists invent wireless device that beams electricity through your home
Dailymail.co.uk, June 8 2007

Scientists have sounded the death knell for the plug and power lead.

In a breakthrough that sounds like something out of Star Trek, they have discovered a way of 'beaming' power across a room into a light bulb, mobile phone or laptop computer without wires or cables.

In the first successful trial of its kind, the team was able to illuminate a 60-watt light bulb 7ft away.

[Image: wirelessdm0806468x700qh5.jpg]

The team from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who call their invention 'WiTricity', believe it could change the way we use electricity and do away with the tangle of cables, plugs and chargers that clutter modern homes.

It could also allow the use of laptops and mobile phones without batteries.

The inspiration came when the lead researcher, Dr Marin Soljacic, was standing in his kitchen at night staring at his mobile phone.

"It was probably the sixth time that month that I was awakened by my cell phone beeping to let me know that I had forgotten to charge it. It occurred to me that it would be so great if the thing took care of its own charging," he said.

To turn this dream into reality, Dr Soljacic needed a way of transmitting power wirelessly.

Scientists have known for nearly two centuries that it is possible to transfer an electrical current from one coil of wire to another without them touching.

The phenomenon, called electromagnetic induction, is used in power transformers and electric motors around the world.

However, the coils in motors and transformers have to be close for power to pass from one to another. Attempting to transfer power over distances is impossible.

The breakthrough came when Dr Soljacic realised there was another way of transferring energy through the air.

Rather than sending power from a transmitter to a receiver as a conventional electromagnetic wave - the same form of radiation as light, radio waves and microwaves - he could use the transmitter to fill a room with a 'non-radiative' electromagnetic field.

Most objects in the room - such as people, desks and carpets - would be unaffected by the electromagnetic field. But any objects designed to resonate with the electromagnetic field would absorb the energy.

It sounds complicated, but the result demonstrated by the American team this month was a dramatic success. Using two coils of copper, the team transmitted power 7ft through the air to a light bulb, which lit up instantly.

The scientists say the technique works only over distances of up to 9ft. However, they believe it could be used to charge up a battery within a few yards of the power source connected to a receiving coil.

Placing one source in each room could provide enough power for an entire house.

The receiver and transmitter would not have to be in view of each other.

Professor Peter Fisher, another of the researchers, said: "As long as the laptop is in a room equipped with a source of wireless power, it would charge automatically without having to be plugged in. In fact, it would not even need a battery to operate inside such a room."

The researchers believe there is little to worry about on safety grounds, saying that magnetic fields interact weakly with living organisms and are unlikely to have any serious side effects.

Dr Soljacic said: "When my son was about three years old, we visited his grandparents' house. They had a 20-year-old phone and my son picked up the handset asking, 'Dad, why is this phone attached with a cord to the wall?' That is the mindset of a child growing up in a wireless world.

"Hopefully we will be getting rid of some more wires and batteries soon."
[Image: absurditiesvoltaire300oh0.gif]
------------------
&I've come to the conclusion, after having spent many years in politics, is that our presidential elections turn out to be more of a charade than anything else, and I think that is true today. It is a charade,& - Ron Paul, Sept 2008.
------------------
We're in a lot of trouble, watch this - http://www.youtube.com/v/3L3QVn4JyYA
------------------
[Image: guns250x200dw9.jpg]
[Image: armiw4.gif]
------------------
You cannot tax someone's labor because that is slavery
- Ed Brown, June 18 2007
------------------
The world's &freeest& country has the highest number in prison.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The crisis of modern democracy is a profound one. Free elections, a free press and an independent judiciary mean little when the free market has reduced them to commodities available on sale to the highest bidder.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The era of manufacturing consent has given way to the era of manufacturing news. Soon media newsrooms will drop the pretense, and start hiring theater directors instead of journalists.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The structure of capitalism is flawed. The motor that powers it cannot but vastly increase the disparity between the poor and the rich globally and within countries as well. Parecon is a brave argument for replacing that flawed machine and offers a much needed -- more equitable, democratic, participatory -- alternative economic vision.
- arundhati roy
------------------
[The choice between John Kerry and George Bush] is not a real choice. It's an apparent choice. Like choosing a brand of detergent. Whether you buy Ivory Snow or Tide, they're both owned by Proctor & Gamble.
- arundhati roy
------------------
No government's condemnation of terrorism is credible if it cannot show itself to be open to change by nonviolent dissent
- arundhati roy
[Image: sigterrorgj3.jpg]
------------------
Dr. Hermann Oberth who pioneered rocket design for the German Reich during World War II and later advanced rocket technology for the American manned space launches, cryptically stated: "We cannot take the credit for our record advancement in certain scientific fields alone; we have been helped."

When asked by whom, he replied: "The people of other worlds."
06-08-2007, 07:45 PM,
The End Of The Plug? Scientists Invent Wireless Device That Beams Electricity Through Your Home
Thanks, for posting this article, waxzy !

... and thank you for all the previous articles that you have posted ...

... you know how to pick 'em !

Quote:[...] Most objects in the room - such as people, desks and carpets - would be unaffected by the electromagnetic field. But any objects designed to resonate with the electromagnetic field would absorb the energy [...]

[...] The researchers believe there is little to worry about on safety grounds, saying that magnetic fields interact weakly with living organisms and are unlikely to have any serious side effects. [...]

I wonder about the "side effects" ...
06-08-2007, 07:48 PM,
I wonder if it even works as stated and instead uses energy from the vacuum of existence, which exists everywhere
------------------
&I've come to the conclusion, after having spent many years in politics, is that our presidential elections turn out to be more of a charade than anything else, and I think that is true today. It is a charade,& - Ron Paul, Sept 2008.
------------------
------------------
------------------
- Ed Brown, June 18 2007
------------------
- arundhati roy
------------------
The crisis of modern democracy is a profound one. Free elections, a free press and an independent judiciary mean little when the free market has reduced them to commodities available on sale to the highest bidder.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The era of manufacturing consent has given way to the era of manufacturing news. Soon media newsrooms will drop the pretense, and start hiring theater directors instead of journalists.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The structure of capitalism is flawed. The motor that powers it cannot but vastly increase the disparity between the poor and the rich globally and within countries as well. Parecon is a brave argument for replacing that flawed machine and offers a much needed -- more equitable, democratic, participatory -- alternative economic vision.
- arundhati roy
------------------
[The choice between John Kerry and George Bush] is not a real choice. It's an apparent choice. Like choosing a brand of detergent. Whether you buy Ivory Snow or Tide, they're both owned by Proctor & Gamble.
- arundhati roy
------------------
No government's condemnation of terrorism is credible if it cannot show itself to be open to change by nonviolent dissent
- arundhati roy
------------------
Dr. Hermann Oberth who pioneered rocket design for the German Reich during World War II and later advanced rocket technology for the American manned space launches, cryptically stated: "We cannot take the credit for our record advancement in certain scientific fields alone; we have been helped."

06-08-2007, 08:05 PM,
Quote:I wonder if it even works as stated and instead uses energy from the vacuum of existence, which exists everywhere
The indigenous cultures have several phrases for this ...

... one is "selling water by the river".

In the Pacific Northwest, the phrase is ...

... "selling snow by the snow drift".

I agree with you, totally ...B)

... "free energy" or "tesla" technology implies tapping into energy without the power companies "metering" it.;)
06-08-2007, 08:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2007, 08:20 PM by waxzy.)
exactly but by claiming that they can beam the energy around your home, they are giving themselves the power to meter the output (however contrived and bullshit the readings may be).

I like to believe that someday someone without selfish fantasies will release a technology (homebuilt or retail) that sucks the energy from the vacuum

that would be a great day indeed
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
- Ed Brown, June 18 2007
------------------
- arundhati roy
------------------
- arundhati roy
------------------
- arundhati roy
------------------
- arundhati roy
------------------
- arundhati roy
------------------
- arundhati roy
------------------

06-09-2007, 03:23 AM,
Quote:I like to believe that someday someone without selfish fantasies will release a technology (homebuilt or retail) that sucks the energy from the vacuum

I wonder if that would cause time dilation.
NM 156
by Queensrÿche

The outside crowd

Forgotten lost memory

06-09-2007, 04:41 AM,
Sounds good but I dunno it might bombard everyone in the vicinity with harmful waves(like wi-fi does).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's wrong with e85 powered vehicles? Sovereignman 6 1,230 03-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Last Post: MasterChiefa
  Nanotube Devices Can Detect Rainbow Colors --- 2 974 05-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Last Post: rsol
  The Ion-propelled, Remotely-powered Jetpack waxzy 0 629 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Last Post: waxzy
  Water Powered Car ..yet Again ! ROCR_13 6 1,241 04-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Last Post: ragtime8922
  Water Powered Vehicle drunkenmunky 0 471 04-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Last Post: drunkenmunky
  Real Free Energy Devices Steroidal 5 1,609 03-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Last Post: McFly
  Secrets Of Y: Water-powered Car waxzy 1 692 12-24-2006, 04:47 PM