Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists Have Clocked Matter Traveling At 99.999% The Speed Of Light
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM,
Scientists have clocked matter traveling at 99.999% the speed of light
NewScientist, June 12 2007

*SNIP*

"The fastest flows of matter in the universe shoot out of dying stars at more than 99.999% the speed of light, new observations reveal. When a massive star runs out of fuel, it collapses to form a black hole or a neutron star. In the process, some of the matter from the star also explodes outward at blistering speeds, producing an intense burst of gamma rays and other radiation."

*SNIP*

:cool:
[Image: absurditiesvoltaire300oh0.gif]
------------------
&I've come to the conclusion, after having spent many years in politics, is that our presidential elections turn out to be more of a charade than anything else, and I think that is true today. It is a charade,& - Ron Paul, Sept 2008.
------------------
We're in a lot of trouble, watch this - http://www.youtube.com/v/3L3QVn4JyYA
------------------
[Image: guns250x200dw9.jpg]
[Image: armiw4.gif]
------------------
You cannot tax someone's labor because that is slavery
- Ed Brown, June 18 2007
------------------
The world's &freeest& country has the highest number in prison.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The crisis of modern democracy is a profound one. Free elections, a free press and an independent judiciary mean little when the free market has reduced them to commodities available on sale to the highest bidder.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The era of manufacturing consent has given way to the era of manufacturing news. Soon media newsrooms will drop the pretense, and start hiring theater directors instead of journalists.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The structure of capitalism is flawed. The motor that powers it cannot but vastly increase the disparity between the poor and the rich globally and within countries as well. Parecon is a brave argument for replacing that flawed machine and offers a much needed -- more equitable, democratic, participatory -- alternative economic vision.
- arundhati roy
------------------
[The choice between John Kerry and George Bush] is not a real choice. It's an apparent choice. Like choosing a brand of detergent. Whether you buy Ivory Snow or Tide, they're both owned by Proctor & Gamble.
- arundhati roy
------------------
No government's condemnation of terrorism is credible if it cannot show itself to be open to change by nonviolent dissent
- arundhati roy
[Image: sigterrorgj3.jpg]
------------------
Dr. Hermann Oberth who pioneered rocket design for the German Reich during World War II and later advanced rocket technology for the American manned space launches, cryptically stated: "We cannot take the credit for our record advancement in certain scientific fields alone; we have been helped."

When asked by whom, he replied: "The people of other worlds."
06-13-2007, 10:00 PM,
Obviously, matter can travel the speed of C. Light is a particle(as well as a wave), does that not make it matter?
NM 156
by Queensrÿche

Uniform printout reads end of line,Protect code intact leaves little time
Erratic surveys, free thinking not allowed,My hands shake, my push buttons silence
The outside crowd

One world government has outlawed war among nations,Now social control requires population termination

Have we come too far,To turn around,Does emotion hold the key
Is logic just a synonym for,This savagery, disguised in
Forgotten lost memory

Microchip logic,have we no more thought
&Is this wrong& I enter,Answers sought
Punch, punch, punch, transfer this data
Into code. Wide eyes watch my Number 156 is shown
Created from past life to perform,Illicit function, I fail this conscious
Madness I man/machine imperfection
06-14-2007, 01:28 PM,
Quote:Obviously, matter can travel the speed of C. Light is a particle(as well as a wave), does that not make it matter?

Science is funky like that, to be called matter by their definition; I believe they require it to have a measurable mass. Anyone else clarify that?
[Image: absurditiesvoltaire300oh0.gif]
------------------
&I've come to the conclusion, after having spent many years in politics, is that our presidential elections turn out to be more of a charade than anything else, and I think that is true today. It is a charade,& - Ron Paul, Sept 2008.
------------------
We're in a lot of trouble, watch this - http://www.youtube.com/v/3L3QVn4JyYA
------------------
[Image: guns250x200dw9.jpg]
[Image: armiw4.gif]
------------------
You cannot tax someone's labor because that is slavery
- Ed Brown, June 18 2007
------------------
The world's &freeest& country has the highest number in prison.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The crisis of modern democracy is a profound one. Free elections, a free press and an independent judiciary mean little when the free market has reduced them to commodities available on sale to the highest bidder.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The era of manufacturing consent has given way to the era of manufacturing news. Soon media newsrooms will drop the pretense, and start hiring theater directors instead of journalists.
- arundhati roy
------------------
The structure of capitalism is flawed. The motor that powers it cannot but vastly increase the disparity between the poor and the rich globally and within countries as well. Parecon is a brave argument for replacing that flawed machine and offers a much needed -- more equitable, democratic, participatory -- alternative economic vision.
- arundhati roy
------------------
[The choice between John Kerry and George Bush] is not a real choice. It's an apparent choice. Like choosing a brand of detergent. Whether you buy Ivory Snow or Tide, they're both owned by Proctor & Gamble.
- arundhati roy
------------------
No government's condemnation of terrorism is credible if it cannot show itself to be open to change by nonviolent dissent
- arundhati roy
[Image: sigterrorgj3.jpg]
------------------
Dr. Hermann Oberth who pioneered rocket design for the German Reich during World War II and later advanced rocket technology for the American manned space launches, cryptically stated: "We cannot take the credit for our record advancement in certain scientific fields alone; we have been helped."

When asked by whom, he replied: "The people of other worlds."
06-14-2007, 01:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-14-2007, 02:00 PM by standvast.)
As far as i know photons [light] are not considered to be matter.
photons are particles , but they [are considered to] have no mass.
If Thine I that I spy with my own little I Doeth Offend thee ; Pluck It out.

06-22-2007, 09:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2007, 09:27 AM by zatara.)
When i was age 8 and didn't know anything about anything i uttered that we think that faster than the speed of light is impossible because we never have seen and being able to see anything faster. And now many years later i still belief this innocent thought. I do not understand anything about Einsteins theories but i think that he designed his theories of relativity around the properties of light. Because those properties are so extreem in value many (most) other properties in nature can be explained. But unfortunately those relativity theories can not be applied on stuff that goes beyond the fysics of light and will the scientist be stuck until they find something faster and with other, new properties. :wink:
06-22-2007, 03:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM by Blueku.)
No, the real question is how do you make that which is invisible to photon reflection, visible? But why start with the base when we can stand on top of the hill and work are way down. So maybe we should be asking how do you stop photon reflection? Welcome to zeropoint:)
06-23-2007, 02:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2007, 02:30 AM by triplesix.)
Quote:When i was age 8 and didn't know anything about anything i uttered that we think that faster than the speed of light is impossible because we never have seen and being able to see anything faster. And now many years later i still belief this innocent thought. I do not understand anything about Einsteins theories but i think that he designed his theories of relativity around the properties of light. Because those properties are so extreem in value many (most) other properties in nature can be explained. But unfortunately those relativity theories can not be applied on stuff that goes beyond the fysics of light and will the scientist be stuck until they find something faster and with other, new properties. :wink:
What's fucking crazy is that the speed of light is just another arbitrary boundary based on a medium of measurement. It's like this. Say you saw the entire world only by sound. If you were to track an object, in this case, say a supersonic jet, you could only trace the object until it exceeded the speed of sound and made a sonic boom. This "shock front" would be where you lose track of the object.

Now take an electrically charged particle. We can trace this object with our eyes, or any other instrument that "sees" light, until this object exceeds the speed of light. In which case we can only see the objects shock front. In this case, not a sonic boom, but a "light boom" of Cerenkov radiation, a ghostly blue light (at least from the water of a nuclear reactor, where this phenomenon is most often observed.) This is still not faster than the speed of light c however, but rather faster than the speed of light as defined by the medium. In the case of water, the "speed" of light is about 0.75c.

Cool shit.

It's fucked up about photons because photons have momentum but no mass. A lot of physics requires this to be true. There's a lot of debate about whether it's even possible to measure the mass of photons sensitively enough. It seems they have phenomena that demonstrate faster than light travel (say you measure a source of light travelling through the galaxy directly toward you at 500,000MPH, you're going to get a speed of (c + 500,000) MPH, but they have not recorded "information" travelling faster than the speed of light.

I guess the buzzword is "information." Something about pulses and group velocity exceed c but the "information" doesn't. I don't know, those are the keys to look into this debate at this time in physics I think. I can only follow this stuff for so long before I get bored, haha.
&We grow to recognize form. We grow to label that form. In doing so, do we become more intelligent? Do we become more awakened?& - Siji Tzu 四季子
06-23-2007, 05:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2007, 05:05 AM by B4Time.)
we are beings of spirit trapped in a body of light the new science says that all matter is photons traveling so fast that they appear to be solid.SO our bodies are not real in a way anyone for the holo-deck beam me up scotty.also read that science is finding a mini sun in every living thing which powers it.truth is stranger than fiction.
What kills me makes me stronger !

No favor asked no quarter given !

Your sitting in your comfort you don't believe I'm real,
You cannot buy protection from the way that I feel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Scientists Learn How to Re-Write Memories CharliePrime 0 1,028 12-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Last Post: CharliePrime
  Physicists Create Coherent Beams of Twisted Light Frank2 6 1,474 10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Last Post: JFK
Video Russian scientists Draw Liquid Blood From Frozen Mammoth drummer 1 854 06-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Watchdog
  Scientists Enhance Intelligence of Mice with Human Brain Cells Frank2 4 2,029 03-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Frank2
  IBM scientists take image of atomic bonds h3rm35 2 1,107 09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Last Post: icosaface
  Army of the future: Soldiers to run at Olympic speed won't need food or sleep TriWooOx 0 699 08-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  ‘Euthanasia Rollercoaster’ Hailed by Anti-Human Scientists Defendfreedom 2 988 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Defendfreedom
  Scientists puzzled by giant whirlpools that have appeared in the Atlantic Ocean Solve et Coagula 5 2,566 04-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Steroidal
  Scientists create technique to delete traumatic memories TriWooOx 5 1,727 11-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rsol
  Scientists plan to record people's dreams TriWooOx 0 797 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx