Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's best? Soy milk, cow's milk, raw milk and fermented milk (kefir)
08-23-2007, 03:38 AM,
Thumbs down: Soy milk
A few years ago, I recommended soy milk as a natural alternative to cow's milk. But since then, far better alternatives have emerged (see below). Also, more information has appeared regarding the environmental impact of soybean farming (the Amazon rainforest is being devastated by clear cutting to create soybean agricultural lands) as well as the frightening fact that most soybeans grown today are genetically modified (GMO) varieties.

On top of this, most popular soy milk brands (I won't name names, but these are likely the ones in your grocery store) have been bought out by big, profit-seeking food and beverage corporations, and as a result, they've been sugared up and made nutritionally inferior. Check the ingredients on "plain" soy milk the next time you're at the store: It's loaded with sugar!

Without question, most soy milk has become too mainstream, too sugary and too much controlled by the same food and beverage giants that are still manufacturing and marketing other products that promote degenerative disease. Because of these reasons, I no longer recommend soy milk (unless you make it yourself or get it from a small, truly natural company).

Thumbs down: Processed cow's milk
I'm also not thrilled about processed milk from cows. By "processed," I mean homogenized and pasteurized. The pasteurization kills all the beneficial microorganisms, and homogenization artificially modifies dairy fats in a way that ultimately harms the human cardiovascular system when consumed. Processed "mainstream" milk is also taken from dairy cows pumped up with antibiotics, rBGH (Bovine Growth Hormone) and usually treated very poorly in terms of ethics. Even the popular brands showing happy cows and claiming to be organic are under intense fire by the Organic Consumers Association (http://www.OrganicConsumers.org) for exploiting certain loopholes that allow non-organic cows to be suddenly considered "organic" on the day they're giving milk.

Processed cow's milk is bad for your health and bad for the cows who give it. It's great for corporate profits, however, and that's why milk continues to be so heavily marketed as a nutritional beverage. They've even managed to so strongly influence the USDA that the latest dietary recommendations by this government agency essentially recommend that everyone should drink more milk. And it's no surprise that infant formula manufacturers have, for decades, tried to convince nutritionally ignorant mothers that cow's milk is better for their baby than human breast milk. (An odd idea, isn't it?)

Thumbs up: Raw milk
Over the last two years, I've become a proponent of raw milk (especially raw fermented milk, see below). Raw goat's milk is my personal recommendation, but even raw cow's milk has merit. What's so good about raw milk? Because it's not homogenized or pasteurized, it's nutritionally superior to dead, cooked milk. Raw milk seems to be far easier to digest, and it contains living bacteria cultures that enhance digestion and even soothe the digestive tract.

It's no surprise, then, that raw milk is under attack by both federal regulators and some members of the processed milk industry. They don't want people to find a "superior" milk that isn't as profitable to sell (because it has reduced shelf life), so they're trying to destroy the raw milk market and limit consumer choice to processed, dead milk. (The same is true in the almond industry, where the Almond Board of California is now trying to irradiate all almonds grown in the state, yet have them labeled as "raw" even when they're dead.)

This attack on raw milk is dressed up to look like a public safety concern. Raw milk is dangerous, regulators claim, because the live cultures might get contaminated with unfriendly bacteria and harm someone. The preferred alternative, it seems, is to kill all the food so that it harms everyone equally.

In terms of choosing raw milk, the typical choices are raw cow's milk and raw goat's milk. Raw goat's milk is more compatible with human nutritional needs (and is especially beneficial to infants when mother's milk isn't available), but it has a stronger taste that not everyone enjoys. I encourage you to try both raw goat's milk and raw cow's milk, then decide what you like best. The proteins in the goat's milk are, no doubt, easier for humans to digest.

Thumbs way up: Fermented raw milk
The best dairy beverage for your health is, in my opinion, fermented raw milk. If you take raw milk and inoculate it with bacterial cultures, then let it sit for a day or two, you end up with a living, predigested, nutritionally superior beverage that's so packed with life it's actually fizzy (carbonated due to the off-gassing of bacteria) when you make it yourself at home.

One form of this fermented milk is called Kefir. It's an incredible beverage when you make it yourself. The store-bought kefir just isn't the same because it's usually dead, flat and pasteurized. But home-made kefir is something else entirely! It's alive, energetic and completely natural.

I was recently treated to some kefir made from raw goat's milk by a raw foods chef in Tucson -- a man I hope to feature on NewsTarget videos later this year. He makes kefir in jars on his kitchen countertop, using a kefir culture that's been passed down from one raw foodist to another for years... maybe even decades. It contained no sweeteners or additives of any kind; just raw goat's milk cultured with bacteria. After drinking it, I noticed an immediate energetic difference, and in the days that followed, I was amazed at the therapeutic effect on my digestive and eliminative processes. Since then, I've really upped my intake of fermented foods in general.

Store-bought kefir is tricky. Definitely avoid non-organic kefir of any kind, and I strongly recommend that even when you buy organic kefir, avoid products made with added sugars. This is a fermented beverage, not ice cream. Don't think it's supposed to taste like a milkshake. It's a slightly bitter beverage when you drink it plain, but that's what kefir is supposed to be.

Thumbs way up: Raw almond milk
Another current favorite at my house is raw almond milk. It's made from raw, soaked almonds, water, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. I've posted a video on how to make this yourself using a Vita-Mix. (Click here to see the video.)

Raw almond milk is both delicious and nutritious. While it doesn't have the protein content of animal milk, it's rich in plant-based fats and various anti-cancer phytonutrients. Once you make a batch, you'll need to drink it within a day or two, since it tends to sour very quickly (it's alive, raw and nutritious, obviously), but I've found that you can preserve it in the refrigerator for several days longer by adding a couple of drops of food-grade hydrogen peroxide.

Many raw food proponents are now drinking a combination of raw almond milk and raw goat's milk kefir. That's a combination I'm enjoying, too. It's good to have a balance of both plant and animal-based milks, but only if they're from ethically treated, naturally raised animals who are not exposed to antibiotics, toxic chemicals or conventional veterinary care (which is all based on chemicals, just like human health care).

Mike's Milk Matrix
Okay, here's the low down on milk products and milk alternatives as I see it:

Soy milk: Not recommended. Too many GMO soybeans, bad environmental impact and some possible undesirable estrogen effects. The isoflavones are good for preventing cancer, however.

Processed cow's milk: It's just gross. Homogenized, pasteurized, milked from unhealthy cows and containing alarmingly high levels of pus, this liquid is nothing less than frightening. Flee it.

Raw cow's milk (organic): This is an acceptable dairy beverage. If it's from healthy cows treated with kindness and good nutrition, this raw beverage is far better than processed cow's milk.

Row goat's milk (organic): Even better than raw cow's milk, since the goat's milk is easier to digest and more compatible with human nutritional needs.

Fermented milk from cows or goats (organic Kefir): A great choice! It's alive, nutritious and great for digestive health. Make it yourself for best results. If you buy it, avoid the sugared-up kefir products in the store.

Raw almond milk: A top choice for vegans, one of my favorite beverages. Make it yourself with raw almonds, water a nut milk bag and a blender. Click here to see my almond milk recipe video.
http://www.newstarget.com/021986.html
08-23-2007, 08:01 AM,
I agree to all you wrote. But I would, if possible, completely renounce milk as a beverage. Consume milk in form of yoghurt, curds, cheese. It can be stored and doesn't really need cooling (I mean it can be stored some days without a fridge, while milk is almost impossible to store without cooling). Hard cheese can be stored for months if not years if it has to be.
I am my savior
08-23-2007, 10:41 PM,
Well I have been going along with Dr. Atkins on using cream in my coffee.

Milk has a lot of sugar and drinking a lot of coffee with milk might just raise
sugar and insulin levels to generate fat.

But cream is not to my liking so I found light cream.

I use 1/3rd less liquid for the same lite coffee effect and about 1/10th the sugar.

Well I calculated it out once but it is less sugar per cup of coffee.
08-24-2007, 04:45 AM,
Quote:I agree to all you wrote. But I would, if possible, completely renounce milk as a beverage. Consume milk in form of yoghurt, curds, cheese. It can be stored and doesn't really need cooling (I mean it can be stored some days without a fridge, while milk is almost impossible to store without cooling). Hard cheese can be stored for months if not years if it has to be.

allow myself 2 small glass per week of what's called organic milk. That is just one that is grass fed with no rGBH in it. It doesn't account for automated milking and what medcines and puss goes with it. I've seriously considered getting a milk cow for the Llama & Goat field but the thought of 2 x per day 7 days a week (minus dry time) is maybe more than I want to do. As my wife's and my parents are older and my oldest daughter's kids drink it as well as my other daughters at home if I knew it would not go to waste I might. Growing up my great grandparents had a dairy as did years later my uncle,they done it automated not sure I'd want to do that again. There would go the small vacation and free time again. Even my cousin couldn't milk by hand, if the power went down I and his dad (my uncle) would have to milk. Silver can keep down bacterial but only .9999% silver, not coin silver, like making collidial silver. You have a good ideal on what you've got there.
I've also decided to get a couple of dozen chickens again, my wife's worse fear but just for eating eggs. She fears that I'll restart the hatchery, which I won't, maybe just clean and fire up 1 incubator. lol. Considered goats but I'm just not a fan of goat milk plus they would cross with the fainting goats we have and it's still an everyday thing. Decisions, decisions.
08-24-2007, 02:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2007, 02:42 PM by Phil999.)
interesting, your microcosmos. And very beautiful too, with enough space to have animals. I might also have some goats, but I'm not so familiar with animals, only dogs I know quite well.

To eat yoghurt and such is just a suggestion, of course we can drink milk. It is a bit personal, there are some people who often catch a cold as long as they drink milk, but that is only because they have difficulties to digest these proteins. Another overlooked detail is that in packed milk from big companies you get a milk-mix from thousands of cows. From a chemical point of view this is not a difference, but when you go deeper into the building process of proteins, it appears that every cow produces its own kind of protein, and when we drink this mix, our body has to digest those thousands different proteins, which can (don't have to) give problems. Of course that applies to all milk-products, but the human organism has an enormous potential to adapt, and when you "know" your milk well, even from the industry, it is food and medicine.

I was making (well, still do sometimes) paints with milk (curds). White chalk with water, and some caseine made from curds. By the way, this is a first class luxury paint for your walls and the best primer for canvas at the cost of almost nothing. But I wanted to say that I am fascinated in those chemical processes when milk divides into protein and water (whey?), and I find those various cheese and kefir and whatever processes very interesting. I heard that the Massai mix milk with fresh cow-blood, that's what that keep them so strong and well-grown. I just have the feeling that cow milk is made for feeding the young cows. When we humans want to use this milk, we have to change its properties in a good way, then it is ready for us to consume. Just to make my point clear, I find it also difficult when a mother squeezes her breast to store her milk for later use. For two or three hours, that might work alright, but when it is stored longer I guess it loses some important qualities for the baby.

So, if you can manage to have some cows (maybe you can arrange something with your neighbors), that would be superb. Making curds or cottage cheese or yoghurt, and of course kefir is very easy, so the remaining milk can be stored longer.

Well anyway, stay strong and have a good time in your paradise garden.
I am my savior
08-24-2007, 07:32 PM,
I was interested in Alpro too... just found this page... Alpro

I don't buy/drink any type of milk from stores (so far) and I'm fine... I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to go out and buy something my body doesn't seem to require.

Here's a good Almond milk recipe, easy to make...Almond Milk recipe but, I'd still rather just eat the almonds.
Rice milk is easy to make too, if you eat cereal... it's great on that, as well as almond milk.

I would rather let the animals exist freely. "Free range" doesn't justify anything for me.
08-25-2007, 01:43 AM,
Quote:Would Alpro from Madagascar happen to be one of those 'stay away from'
brands ?
@ hilly

I don't know, I haven't heard of them but will check. I watched a video on Soy sometime back and I do know that it's highly over rated and the history is pretty much false. I think I linked to it somewhere on my site but where is another question. I drank Soy Milk up until reading on it, like a lot of stuff, it's false. I do know that Monsantos has spread it's posion to other countries. Then again, Europe and Britian have more balls than we do here in America on backing off franken foods. The exception is India to that but they are fighting back now.

Almond Milk? I love Almonds. As long as they're not cooked or irradiated or chemicaled to death they are an extremely healty food. If they're from CA, they will be from corporate farms and nuked soon. That put them on my list of what I should have done a few years ago but will do this fall, plant some Almond Trees when I plant the Cherry Trees and Pecan Trees. Free range is the only way to go, ever seen a real commercial farm? Most cows are standing in their own crap and there no grass anywhere. Even with the dry grass from the drought our cows still prefer the grass to hay. We keep 3 round bales out always since the onset but they will not eat unless they don't get full off of the grass available. I don't feed corn or commercial food because of the junk in it.

On the animals existing freely that's not even practical. I don't deer hunt but somebody's gotta do it or else they would starve to death and yes it has happened in 3 states after peta got hunting stopped for a while. After watching the deer starve to death and become diseased it was decided maybe it just wasn't a good ideal after all. The only way for born free to occur in real life is depopulation of humans, it's one or the other. In the real world reality seen in nature seen by those that don't know nature think it cruel. I had a hatchery for years rasing show poultry and rare upland gamebirds. Sometimes we'd get people that would say it was cruel keeping them in pens and avairies yet many species were brought back from extinction not by nature, not by zoos but by the private breeders and farmers. Of course this wasn't the loving people that went out and broke waterers in winters and refilled daily or froze their butts off breaking pond water or making sure everybody had enough food to eat and the animals ate first. Not to mention guarding them.

Phil999, I'm not sure about mixing it with blood. There is so much bad crap out there that may not be a good ideal. Then again, I guess to each his own. I think drinking milk is just a preferance, good milk does good while bad does bad. The natural chemical process is pretty cool. Actually humans have breast pumps and do milk themselves for later use. You have given me points to ponder as to making use of it all. I hate waste and this may well prevent it. We have several older people that I'm sure could use most along with us and families but not enough to use it all so perhaps this will fill the void. That could be more items they and us would not have to buy.
08-25-2007, 05:06 AM,
simple solution: semen...

seriously, I have bigger fish to fry than milk. I like me cereal and white russians.
08-25-2007, 06:29 AM,
Quote:On the animals existing freely that's not even practical. I don't deer hunt but somebody's gotta do it or else they would starve to death and yes it has happened in 3 states after peta got hunting stopped for a while.
Free is not being allowed to be practical. There is a natural fluctuation in population that used to happen with humans, and the same system can be seen at work with deer. Probelm being is habitat is being lost too rapidly, they collude into one area that has a smaller food carrying capacity naturally.... and naturally, less food means less deer will survive. Humans are controlling the food production which is increasing our populations. As in Africa, people are starving because we gave them food and healthcare, now do we shoot them? It sounds like just as unjustified a reason as shooting deer because there are too many.... it's a problem that may have a more respectful solution.

Quote:After watching the deer starve to death and become diseased it was decided maybe it just wasn't a good ideal after all. The only way for born free to occur in real life is depopulation of humans, it's one or the other. In the real world reality seen in nature seen by those that don't know nature think it cruel.

I understand. I don't think you are doing a cruel thing as long as you respect the deer when you take it's life.

If there was no need, then why bother? milk isn't a necessity for anyone after childhood, is it?
And if we didn't take the deers habitat away, we wouldn't need to kill some, or allow some to starve, would we? A deer or human is MADE of food... you can't have more deer OR people without more food.

I still think that no milk is "best", especially after childhood, because you don't need it.
08-26-2007, 12:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2007, 02:08 AM by ephilution.)
I love rice milk and I used to drink Rice Dream vanilla flavored literally by the gallons when I lived in California. It's a great substitute for milk for drinking it as is and for usage in porridge. But it does get a little dodgy if you use that stuff to make your pancakes. :biggrin:
General Brainquirks:http://1phil4everyill.wordpress.com

Mind control imbued by movies:http://predictiveprogramminginmovies.blogspot.com

Movers and Shakers of the SMOM:http://moversandshakersofthesmom.blogspot...identity.html
08-26-2007, 04:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2007, 04:52 AM by modemho.)
A lot of people will tell you any milk from another animal is BAD for you.

For me, a tall COLD glass of cows milk goes SOOOOO GOOOOOD with a piece of cake or cookies hot from the oven.

SCREW THEM. I want a few pleasures in life. I do try to use the "organic" milk though.
The most dangerous people alive are the ones who have nothing to lose.

[Image: Googevalentine07.gif] <--- Google can't spell its own name.
08-26-2007, 06:51 AM,
resonate, We agree on much but disagree on some. Maybe it's being part Cherokee or maybe not, I agree with you on senseless killing of anything. I don't kill what I don't eat or threatens. I don't care for heads mounted on walls and such. With deer people have eaten them for many years, along with other animals. As long as people eat what they kill, without greed and show respect then I don't see a problem with it. There could only be two possibilities that would be respectful, 1- allow managed hunting seasons. 2 - NWO style, force people to live in heavily concentrated areas or depopulation or a combination of the two. This could be cool, we could be featured on American Idol eating at our feeding stations just like them. Master says it's time to eat.

The hunger in Africa mostly stems not from the lack of food but the nutritional values of the food. This is the proving ground for all new terrors in both, chemicals, biological, and food. Let's not take any truth away from the events. It's also about keeping a people dieing, they have some expensive goods, gold, oil and more so we add to that greed. Add that to the fact that it gives people everywhere else someone to either look down upon or pity to take their mind off the fact that they are next.

Milk is not needed to survive but it's nutritional value is good, again proven over the ages, if it's done right. No, it's not a necessity but it does good things for our bodies. There are even vaccines that were made injecting dry cows with a disease and then drinking the first milk. Of course where would the profit be made in that? People wouldn't be sick enough to have treatments while they die, they'd be cured. Drinking milk or not, is a personal choice but whether you do or don't isn't any kind of statement other than it's preference. Not doing it makes no difference in the person other a little better health if you do.

The biggest problem I see is people want to live out in the country, be self sufficient, live off the land, be a farmer. So they go out and buy a few acres away from town, then someone else goes a little farther and so on. Now these people go there with unrealistic dreams because they actually destroy the beauty that attracted them there in the first place. They usually still go to the local grocery store and out to eat but hey, they not are a part of the country life ... NOT!
08-27-2007, 07:44 AM,
Yup, Soy milk is poison. Actually Soy in general is bad.

Cow's milk: thumbs down, especially to the Pasteurized kind, but the raw sucks too.

Rice milk is not bad.

Almond milk kicks ass. I drink Blue Diamond brand only because it is a good deal where I get it from. Getting raw Almond milk in the US will be impossible because the FDA has decreed that all Almonds must be made sterile by heating via steam and a couple other methods.

Goats milk is good.

Goat Whey is awesome.

Sheeps milk is OK.

Kefir I do not like.

Sprouted Hemp seed 'milk' is not great tasting, but makes you feel great!

MMM
Give me the judgment of balanced minds in preference to laws every time. Codes and manuals create patterned behavior. All patterned behavior tends to go unquestioned, gathering destructive momentum.
- Darwi Odrade
08-28-2007, 04:53 AM,
I gotta try some Almond milk.
08-28-2007, 08:56 AM,
i drink soya milk but still have milk products now and then. I wish the cows were treated better these days. In Vedic culture, the cow is treated as mother as she produces so many delicious things just from eating grass. Isnt that amazing. I think we should still appreciate her as children really benefit from growing stong bones and teeth from drinking so much milk.
Anyway I am almost vegan but if I had some land I would have a cow man!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths - Raymond Peat, Ph.D. bristopen 0 880 05-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Last Post: bristopen
  PRIMAL DIET – RAW MEAT – RAW MILK & WHEEEEEY ! strangelove 22 6,292 08-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Last Post: strangelove
  GM cows producing human breast milk April 12 4,855 04-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Last Post: rsol
  Feds raid Amish dairy and threaten action over raw milk sales mexika 25 6,973 08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Last Post: icosaface
  Milk --- 0 832 08-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Last Post: ---
  The Devil in the Milk hilly7 0 963 07-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Last Post: hilly7
  Meet your Milk April 1 939 05-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Last Post: SiLVa
  We're raising GM goats to make human breast milk, say Russians hilly7 0 672 02-15-2009, 08:04 AM
  Trial for raw milk farmer 0110110 0 1,036 08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Last Post: 0110110
  Mother's Milk A Gift That Keeps On Giving hilly7 3 1,144 10-07-2007, 02:26 AM