Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Sikhs angry over turban plan
08-25-2007, 12:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2007, 12:50 PM by MrBS.)
US Sikh organisations have expressed anger over changes allowing airport security staff to "pat down" turbans.

Until now turbans have been searched or removed only to resolve an unexplained alarm from an airport metal detector.

But now security will have greater discretion to inspect turbans so that they can be manually checked for objects such as non-metallic weapons.

However Sikh groups have responded to the new measures by describing them as outrageous and discriminatory.

Sikh men wear turbans to cover their hair, which they leave uncut in accordance with their religion.

Organisations representing Sikhs have only recently completed a publicity campaign to explain the significance of the kirpan, or religious sword, to security officials.

The Transportation Security Administration insisted the new policy was necessary to counter the threat of improvised bombs and chemical weapons.

In Britain, the government said recently that private searches of turbans might be necessary as part of airport security.

Source: BBC News

-------------------

I don't seem to recall Sikhs ever doing any terrorist attacks in the USA. In recent times I don't remember them doing any terrorist attacks, certainly not in Western countries.

Why are Sikhs being targetted in such a disgusting way? Hey Mr President wasn't it 19 Muslims who did 9/11?

Oh I get it - they're just the same as Muslims, those "rag heads" or "sand niggers" as some like to call them. Well you do remember the "First they came for the Jews..." quote don't you? Perhaps we can start it with Sikhs and have a category of people you do care about somewhere later on...... Liberals, Activists, Athiests, Conspiracy Theorists?

One could argue that Irish people, or perhaps people with Irish sounding names get extra airport security attention, in light of much Irish IRA terrorism (relatively) recently.

Perhaps we could argue that men with short hair and ex-soldiers get extra security checks in light of the fact that it matches the description perfectly of "Oklahoma Bomber And Baby Killer" McVeigh, the only other terrorist one might link with a direct attack on America.

Someones now gonna tell me that Muslims are gonna start wearing turbans and hide as Sikhs in order to get on planes?

We all know Osama is so much more intelligent than that, wouldn't he just hand-pick a few crazy whitish Muslims to get fat, wear stupid hats and disguise themselves as a white American?
08-25-2007, 11:07 PM,
Actually, there have been examples of Sikh terrorism, and some Sikh organizations are considered a terrorist organizations.

The Air India flight 182 bombing was a rather high profile case here in Canada:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/airindia/

Part of the religious obligations of the 10% or so fundamentalist or traditionalist (maybe) Sikhs is to never cut their hair, wear a turban, and carry a dagger. They are basically considered "holy warriors" and protectors of their faith and people, which is part of the reason they change or add 'Singh' (Lion) to their name.

There could be a justification made by the government on that basis to some degree, but of course its utter bullshit. I don't think they are being targetted specifically any more than any other group persay. This is just an example of how their particular culture is being abused by the police state and global "harmonization" bullshit being shoved down our collective throats.

There have been a few court cases here in Canada, wearby they have been permitted to wear their knives in places they are normally not allowed at all, like in schools and on airplanes, provided the knives meet the other applicable laws (worn openly, blade 6" in length or less).
They are also not required to wear helmets or hats they would otherwise be required to wear by law or by duty in government service, so you can see that it is a very important aspect of their faith and religious which they have fought tooth and nail for in this country.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, but basically, any group can be made into terrorists. Al-CIA-Duh has been hyped for 7 years, sure, but before that, if you recall, they were hyping white nationalist terrorism in America. Potential "terrorists" can be found in the extreme parts of any belief system, religious or political. I think that is part of the larger mind fuck of the so called war on terror, to get people afraid or literally everyone who is different from them in some way, afterall with all these crazy terrorists of every stripe, who can save us except for the all mighty government?
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd : Vituð ér enn eða hvat?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Image: madwolfoy0.jpg][Image: sharksmall1kd6.jpg][Image: bearkodiakchugachfe7.jpg]
08-26-2007, 04:57 AM,
I wouldn't call it discriminatory against Sikhs. It's certainly not racial OR religiously based. Why? Arab's also wear turbans and they're neither the same religion, race or language.

Yassir Arafat and Osama Bin Laden were two turban wearing Arabs.

Hell, even Yosemite Sam has worn a turban....lol. Bugs Bunny tore a piece off the back like it was a paper towel dispenser. LOL
08-26-2007, 06:20 AM,
In Canadian Provincial jails, Sikhs can wear turbans as well. But, they have to remove them for security searches if asked. I don't think they can get onto construction sites without removing their turbans and wearing a safety hat.

I have seen Sikhs without turbans or facial hair. What's up with that?
08-26-2007, 06:49 AM,
Quote:I don't think they can get onto construction sites without removing their turbans and wearing a safety hat.

I have seen Sikhs without turbans or facial hair. What's up with that?

No, they don't have to wear hard hats from what I understand, but maybe it varies from province to province. Its only the "really serious" 10% or so who actually adhere fully to those traditions.
Most of them just wear a steel bracelet (Karra) and maintain a neat goatee if anything. :laugh:
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd : Vituð ér enn eða hvat?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Image: madwolfoy0.jpg][Image: sharksmall1kd6.jpg][Image: bearkodiakchugachfe7.jpg]
07-14-2010, 01:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM by ---.)
RE: US Sikhs angry over turban plan
I once spent some 6 years together with a Sikh woman but her family never knew but one of her brothers had a white english long term girlfriend and they knew about that. I guess they could cope with that but they wanted the trad deal for her..I doubt it happened tbh. You know what these religions are like about dna. but that was then. What a shame that in combination to an outcry to such ridiculous attempts to make stupid laws they aren't also vocally up in arms against very prominent members of the english defence league coming from their generally very cool community as part of the new UK
edit) someone was just looking at the thread and i made a comment. um, but what are we doing here anyway? It's just like a kind of mad zone of sanity and fearful delusion mixed together and we are ball taking strange solace from the congregation? oh well, i like it anyway. thanks concen you are a great site

tune
07-14-2010, 05:26 PM,
RE: US Sikhs angry over turban plan
(08-25-2007, 12:47 PM)MrBS Wrote: US Sikh organisations have expressed anger over changes allowing airport security staff to "pat down" turbans.

Until now turbans have been searched or removed only to resolve an unexplained alarm from an airport metal detector.

But now security will have greater discretion to inspect turbans so that they can be manually checked for objects such as non-metallic weapons.

However Sikh groups have responded to the new measures by describing them as outrageous and discriminatory.

Sikh men wear turbans to cover their hair, which they leave uncut in accordance with their religion.

religion is a personal thing not to affect public law and policy, if they don't want to be searched don't fly... too bad!

MrBS Wrote:Organisations representing Sikhs have only recently completed a publicity campaign to explain the significance of the kirpan, or religious sword, to security officials.

The Transportation Security Administration insisted the new policy was necessary to counter the threat of improvised bombs and chemical weapons.

[quote/]
well i'm a nationalist i want to carry my ceremonial lugar on to the plane with me will they let me? wtf too f'n bad re swords i'd make them put in luggage or not at all, once again separation of church and state, so any and all religon should have no effects on public policy if sensitivities r hurt too bad talk to god bout it see what he says.

[quote='MrBS']
In Britain, the government said recently that private searches of turbans might be necessary as part of airport security.

Source: BBC News

-------------------

I don't seem to recall Sikhs ever doing any terrorist attacks in the USA. In recent times I don't remember them doing any terrorist attacks, certainly not in Western countries.

[quote/]
so because they don't advertise anti west but attack others we should give them a free pass... really? you must be a troll or a retard not sure which!
[quote='MrBS']
Why are Sikhs being targetted in such a disgusting way? Hey Mr President wasn't it 19 Muslims who did 9/11?
[quote/]
not it was the jews so they could get a war going and dump a non profitable unsellable building!!! a few muslims just were fortunate to get credit for it!!!

[quote='MrBS']
Oh I get it - they're just the same as Muslims, those "rag heads" or "sand niggers" as some like to call them. Well you do remember the "First they came for the Jews..." quote don't you? Perhaps we can start it with Sikhs and have a category of people you do care about somewhere later on...... Liberals, Activists, Athiests, Conspiracy Theorists?

One could argue that Irish people, or perhaps people with Irish sounding names get extra airport security attention, in light of much Irish IRA terrorism (relatively) recently.

Perhaps we could argue that men with short hair and ex-soldiers get extra security checks in light of the fact that it matches the description perfectly of "Oklahoma Bomber And Baby Killer" McVeigh, the only other terrorist one might link with a direct attack on America.

Someones now gonna tell me that Muslims are gonna start wearing turbans and hide as Sikhs in order to get on planes?
[quote/]

yep thats exactally what i'd do if i was them (muslims and knew turbans ar't searched)! Of course if i was them and had the imaginary ax to grind there'd be no air travel as no one would be foolish enough to risk it. Were just lucky most r under educated and don't have chem degrees. rather then signal out anyone they r just putting full body scanners in airports so we can see everything on everyone... but as many here will say thats not an option most favor and now it's learned the scanners r medically unsafe.

[quote='MrBS']
We all know Osama is so much more intelligent than that, wouldn't he just hand-pick a few crazy whitish Muslims to get fat, wear stupid hats and disguise themselves as a white American?

why?! when dressing as women and other cultures had worked so often in the past in countries that put religious rules ahead of common sense and vigilance! didn't he escape in a dress from a village in Afghanistan once b4 himself? I see your banned and i can figure why... though would love to hear your attempt @ rational. plain and simple don't like security @ air ports don't fly... they still have boats crossing the oceans for those who want to go home.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Live long and Prosper!!!! Have a plan beyond words, and worry not of why the storm is coming as to how you're going to survive in it!!!!

Deathanyl @gmail!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone and email records to be stored in new spy plan TriWooOx 3 695 03-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Right to private life 'at risk’ in plan to store DNA of innocent people TriWooOx 3 969 10-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Armilus
  Saudi Arabia halts plan to ban BlackBerry instant messanging TriWooOx 0 479 08-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: TriWooOx
  MEPs back web search history plan TriWooOx 0 519 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM
  U.S. sponsors plan to restrict free speech Easy Skanking 0 317 10-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  EU funding 'Orwellian' artificial intelligence plan to monitor public for "abnormal behaviour" TriWooOx 3 1,047 09-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Last Post: ---
  Illegal downloaders will have internet cut off under new Mandelson plan TriWooOx 3 701 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM
  Jacqui's secret plan to 'Master the Internet' DJOldskool 1 447 05-09-2009, 12:43 AM
  Plan to monitor all internet use TriWooOx 0 374 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
  Monsanto in Illinois: Homeland Security and USDA plan attacks against animals --- 4 688 02-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Last Post: drew hempel