Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Park warden tells parents they can't photograph their OWN daughter
12-13-2007, 10:40 PM,
Park warden tells parents they can't photograph their OWN daughter
Park warden tells parents they can't photograph their OWN daughter playing on swings
Last updated at 12:28pm on 13th December 2007

Proud parents were banned from taking a picture of their own daughter enjoying her first ever ride on a swing because a park warden said it was illegal to photograph children.

Steve Brook and partner Mandy had lined up the perfect shot of giggling 11-month-old Rebecca's first ride on a swing at Alexandra Park in Oldham.

But they were left stunned after the council worker told them to stop taking pictures.

[Image: PhotbanSwingMEN_468x373.jpg]
Rebecca's first ever go on the swings, as snapped by her parents just before the overzealous park warden intervened

The couple tried reasoning with the warden and explained that Rebecca was their daughter. But he refused to budge so they were forced to pack up their camera and headed home with their day ruined.

"It beggars belief," said Mr Brook, 35, an off-licence manager from Oldham, Greater Manchester.

"The fact that a mummy and daddy can't take a picture of their own daughter is ridiculous. I could understand if it was in a swimming pool packed with other children or somewhere like that, but she was well wrapped up and as far as I could see we were the only people in the park."

Their local MP Phil Woolas has backed the couple, saying: "Based on these reports I am thinking of introducing a Bill to Parliament called The Common Sense Act 2007. "We are in danger of becoming so adverse to risk that we will lose sight of common sense."

Mr Brook added: "It was a nice day so we decided to go for a walk in the park to feed the ducks. While at the park I put Becky in a swing which she had never been in before. She was giggling and really loving it so Mandy decided to capture the moment on film.

"But then a man in a high-visibility jacket came over and told us we couldn't take pictures. I asked him why and he said it was illegal to take pictures of children in the park. I explained it was my own daughter but he still said it wasn't allowed."
A council spokesman said: "We are committed to ensuring that all our parks are safe and welcoming places for all visitors. To ensure this happens staff are instructed to be observant and aware of the activities of park users and consider whether they are appropriate.

"This incident was due to the incorrect interpretation of policy by a member of our security staff who has since been made aware of his actions."

There are no national guidelines banning parents from taking photographs of children in parks. But the first serious attempt to ban photographs of children in public was made in March this year by members of Vale of Glamorgan council, South Wales.

The council proposed "that no photographs, filming or other imaging shall take place of children or young people in parks and open spaces without written permission."

Councillors later threw out the proposal, saying it would be too difficult to enforce and that parents should not need permission for pictures of family picnics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pagesve/arti...in_page_id=1770
“Everything Popular Is Wrong” - Oscar Wilde

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  for parents out there K.Trout 1 306 11-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Last Post: April
  Something tells me we're not going to have any planes flying into THIS NYC building h3rm35 0 398 09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Last Post: h3rm35
  which radio show tells it like it is? Bull Medicine 21 4,130 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Last Post: sekular
Video Family Court Judge, beats 16-year-old disabled daughter drummer 0 650 11-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: drummer
  For all you parents out there K.Trout 0 457 06-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Last Post: K.Trout
  Black Parents Give Birth to White Baby hilly7 2 974 07-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Last Post: SiLVa
  Helen Thomas tells Jews to go back to Germany joeblow 0 656 06-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Last Post: joeblow
  Top 3 911 was an inside job to wake up parents to the truth? buddha01 2 655 02-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Melchor
  U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alphabet' TriWooOx 2 814 02-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Weyland
  Woman Tells Of Life Without Record Fingernails Conspiracy_Lad 1 557 09-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Weyland