Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monkey Brains In U.S. Make Robot Walk In Japan
01-18-2008, 02:41 PM,
Quote:Researchers at Duke University Medical Center have used a monkey's brain activity to control a robot on the other side of the globe.

In what researchers tout as a first-of-its-kind experiment, monkeys' thoughts controlled the walking patterns of a robot in Japan.

"They can walk in complete synchronization," said Dr. Miguel Nicolelis, who also is the Anne W. Deane Professor of Neuroscience at Duke. "The most stunning finding is that when we stopped the treadmill and the monkey ceased to move its legs, it was able to sustain the locomotion of the robot for a few minutes -- just by thinking -- using only the visual feedback of the robot in Japan."

Implanted electrodes gathered feedback from brain cells of two rhesus monkeys as they walked forward and backward at different paces on a treadmill. Sensors on the monkeys' legs tracked walking patterns while researchers used math models to analyze the relationship between leg movement and activity in the brain's motor and sensory cortex. From there, researchers in North Carolina and Japan determined how well brain cell activity predicted speed and stride.

"We found that certain neurons in multiple areas of the brain fire at different phases and at varying frequency, depending on their role in controlling the complex, multi-muscle process of motion," senior research investigator Nicolelis said in a statement.

Researchers recorded brain activity, predicted the pattern of locomotion, and sent the signal from the motor commands of the animal to the robot, he said.

"We also created a real-time transmission of information that allowed the brain activity of the monkey in North Carolina to control the commands of a robot in Japan," Nicolelis said. "Each neuron provides us with a small piece of the puzzle that we compile to predict the walking pattern of the monkeys with high accuracy."

The research, funded by the Anne W. Deane Endowed Chair Fund, expanded on previous experiments in Nicolelis' laboratory that showed monkeys could control the reaching and grasping movements of a robotic arm with their brain signals. Researchers believe that, within a year, their latest work will be used to develop prototypes of robotic leg braces for human use. They hope that robotic braces can help severely paralyzed patients walk again.

"In essence, we are seeking to capture the information that the foot sends to your brain when it touches the ground as you walk," Nicolelis said.

Mitsuo Kawato, M.E., Ph.D., director of ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories and research director of the Computational Brain Project of the Japan Science and Technology Agency, said the findings will be used to advance research on how the brain processes information.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8oAz4WS4O0

Source: http://www.informationweek.com/shared/prin...cleID=205801020
&To be GOVERNED is to be kept in sight, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so...& - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

&In the Middle Ages, they took the name of serfs; nowadays, they are called wage earners.& Mikhail Bakunin
01-18-2008, 04:11 PM,
those coward scientists did not show the real monkey with the electrodes attached to the opened brain, they just replaced this with CG.

Cowards.
I am my savior
01-18-2008, 06:16 PM,
Quote:Cowards.
They are right to hide it. Otherwise, tree-hugging organisations like PETA would sue/kill/terrorise them...
One day Chuang Tzu and a friend were walking by a river. &Look at the fish
swimming about,& said Chuang Tzu, &They are really enjoying themselves.&

&You are not a fish,& replied the friend, &So you can't truly know that they
are enjoying themselves.&

&You are not me,& said Chuang Tzu. &So how do you know that I do not
know that the fish are enjoying themselves?&
01-18-2008, 08:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-18-2008, 08:21 PM by Phil999.)
yes, if they showed all, and if the media would spread the images of the tortured animals around the world, this research would be stopped under the public pressure. I even believe that disabled people (who could profit of this research one day) would vote against such cruelty.

I'm not religious, but I am generally against animal testing in any form. It's breaking natural laws. What I dislike in particular is that animal testing researchers tend to hide their Frankenstein experiments because they know that it is against moral standards. And I also do not believe in "the advantages for humanity to cure diseases". It is for the money they work, they do not really care about people with disabilities or diseases.
I am my savior

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Brain Implant Lets One Monkey Control Another thokling 4 1,001 02-22-2014, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Easy Skanking
  Inventor unveils $7,000 talking sex robot April 26 11,026 01-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Last Post: JFK
Information Power and Control: The Anti-Nuclear Energy Movement - Leveraging the Japan Tsunami and Other Disasters FastTadpole 37 14,629 01-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Last Post: FastTadpole
Question Creepy A.I. Lying Robot, or soundboard ? CharliePrime 2 759 12-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Last Post: temp9
  Robot serves up 360 burgers an hour. April 8 1,079 12-07-2013, 03:39 AM
Last Post: R.R
  Robot teacher conducts first class in Tokyo school A robot schoolteacher --- 10 3,428 05-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Last Post: drummer
  Syncing Feeling (HAARP Firing & Japan Earthquakes Synchronicity) Dunamis 12 6,330 03-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Last Post: yeti
Shocked WTF? Japan scientist synthesizes meat from human feces yeti 20 9,352 11-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Last Post: FastTadpole
  Robot wars: The rise of artificial intelligence --- 7 2,902 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Deathaniel
  Strange Underwater Anomalies: Florida, Cuba, Japan!, pinkfloyd 0 741 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Last Post: pinkfloyd